Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

I am looking at various ships in the mining ship tree and a lot of them look extra cool!
Is there any way to learn skills a bit quicker?

You can buy skill injectors, timecards to sell for isk to buy a new char, or buy chars off people for :10bux:

If you train cybernetics to V you can use higher grade implants, I think its still 1-5. You should at least have 4's at all times, probably 5s in empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jm20 posted:

You can buy skill injectors, timecards to sell for isk to buy a new char, or buy chars off people for :10bux:

If you train cybernetics to V you can use higher grade implants, I think its still 1-5. You should at least have 4's at all times, probably 5s in empire.

I am so sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by 4s and 5s.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Goatman Sacks posted:

Parts that currently have no market value or use. Possibly precursors to faction capital mods or something.
They're components that you need to build meta and faction capital mods.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

VideoGames posted:

Cybernetic Subprocessor - Advanced
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Basic
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Elite
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Improved
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Standard

That is a single implant class for whatever attribute, with 1-5s. Check them out ingame or http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Implants#Attribute_Enhancers

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

VideoGames posted:

I am looking at various ships in the mining ship tree and a lot of them look extra cool!

Get yourself some +3 attribute implants, they're cheap and make a difference over time. You can skip the social one unless you are training Trade skills.

You can also remap but hold off on that until you have a better handle on what you want to do over the next few months. My main has no remaps out of the 3 I started with because I was a dumb shobon and I am stuck PER/WIL until Feb 2017 :gonk: (to be fair that is the second least worst remap to be stuck with as a newbee). The first alt I created is in a similar situation with just 1 left.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

VideoGames posted:

Attribute implants! There are implants to increase single attributes anywhere from +1 through +5, they all use different implant slots, so you can potentially have all of your attributes increased if you get all of the implants for it. Skills have a primary and secondary attribute that they calculate the skillpoints/hour that you train on, so if you have those two attributes at the highest, it'll train the fastest.

Here's what my attributes look like being attribute remapped to Perception and Willpower with full +5s.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jm20 posted:

Cybernetic Subprocessor - Advanced
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Basic
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Elite
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Improved
Cybernetic Subprocessor - Standard

That is a single implant class for whatever attribute, with 1-5s. Check them out ingame or http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Implants#Attribute_Enhancers

Your leaving out a basic bit of information.

+ NUMBERS implants add the number to the total value of your stats which make you train faster. There's a much larger stats discussion to be had but I'm at work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I guess there's an incentive to taking your super caps out for 240m ticks...

But what about subcaps? Isktars are kill then? ratting in a VNI is not worth it? (at least until the final spawn, that probably wont drop a MAZE until the titan is dead)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I guess there's an incentive to taking your super caps out for 240m ticks...

But what about subcaps? Isktars are kill then? ratting in a VNI is not worth it? (at least until the final spawn, that probably wont drop a MAZE until the titan is dead)
The capital NPCs are random spawns like faction rats, but rarer. You don't get one at the end of every anom.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I apparently have 2 bonus remaps. I would just like to learn some mining things a bit quicker and I'm afraid I am feeling a bit out of my depth with this stuff. I think I should leave this for further down the line.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/ZigXHzX.mp4

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

They're components that you need to build meta and faction capital mods.

oh, are faction capital mods in the game already? Or do you mean the concord fake-faction stuff?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is there any CCP written in-universe stories about the skill injectors? Sucking knowledge out of someone's brain to shoot it into someone else's brain is an amusing concept that can have all sorts of hosed up applications in the fiction.

Like some capsuleer taking a master violinist's talent and then playing violin for like a week before getting bored, and jetting off to the other side of the galaxy without giving the skills back to the violinist, who just lost his ability to do his passion and also his only source of income.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

VideoGames posted:

I apparently have 2 bonus remaps. I would just like to learn some mining things a bit quicker and I'm afraid I am feeling a bit out of my depth with this stuff. I think I should leave this for further down the line.

I applied my mining and industry alt to your corp so that I can mine with Rock whenever I'm on that character :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Generation Internet posted:

I applied my mining and industry alt to your corp so that I can mine with Rock whenever I'm on that character :)

That is fantastic! I have been chatting to corp members in the corp window all evening :D

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:3:

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

That is dangerously shobon.

What do dread rats drop anyway?

we killed one that dropped a shadow serpentis 10000mn AB bpo. that's not a typo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AAPsel posted:

we killed one that dropped a shadow serpentis 10000mn AB bpo. that's not a typo.

BPC

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

VideoGames posted:

Have anyone told you about Evemon? One of the things it allows you to do, is create a skill plan to see how best remap your attributes for your goals and how much time you would save by doing so.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is there any CCP written in-universe stories about the skill injectors? Sucking knowledge out of someone's brain to shoot it into someone else's brain is an amusing concept that can have all sorts of hosed up applications in the fiction.

Like some capsuleer taking a master violinist's talent and then playing violin for like a week before getting bored, and jetting off to the other side of the galaxy without giving the skills back to the violinist, who just lost his ability to do his passion and also his only source of income.

I don't know if there's a lore story to go with skill injectors, but there is one that explains how a capsuleer can get a cybernetic implant for a talent he's never had:

https://community.eveonline.com/backstory/chronicles/the-resurrection-men/

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

i've had the same experience, but instead of a cat it was a dog, and instead of a fish it was a pile of garbage

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

i've had the same experience, but instead of a cat it was a dog, and instead of a fish it was a pile of dookie

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
oh no, how did you keep him from your posting

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

VideoGames posted:

The only way to learn skills faster is to adjust the two attributes associated with each skill. You can do that via remaps and implants. Remaps allow you to redistribute your points (there is a base minimum and maximum) and implants just add a +1 to +5 to each attribute, and you can only fit one implant booster per attribute. Implants are based on Slot numbers, and Slots 1-5 affect attributes, so you can have one implant in Slot 1 which will grant you a +1 to +5 in Perception.

If you look at the info page of a skill, it will tell you what attributes are associated with that skill in a Primary and Secondary form. The Primary skill has more influence on the training time than a Secondary skill.

So if you look at the "Mining" skill, the primary attribute is Memory (Slot 2 for implants) and Intelligence (Slot 4). If you remap your attributes to reduce them to the bare minimum, then put all your points into Memory and the remaining leftover points into Intelligence, you'll traing Mining at the fastest rate you can without implants. Then you can but a implant for either Slot 2 or 4, to improve those abilities and learn them faster. However in order to use implants you need the Cybernetics skill trained and the level of the Cybernetics skill reflects the highest tier of implant you can use. So if you cybernetics is at level 2, you can fit at most the +2 Implant for Slot 2 (Memory Augmentation - Beta).

The real problem comes into that you only have so many remaps and there are only a few cases where you can safely focus on just two skills. For example, while Mining and a lot of the Mining related support skills use the Memory/Intelligence attribute set, the skills needed to actually fly the mining ships are generally Perception/Willpower. If you want to min/max there are ways tools to help do that, but another option is to just remap all your abilities and put an equal amount of points into everything but Charisma (used for very few skills for highly specialized roles) and then just fit implants as skills and isk allow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VideoGames posted:

You should train the skill "cybernetics" to I, then you should purchase all five of the implants that end in "- Standard" (commonly referred to as +3s). This will let you train faster with no downside besides the cost as long as you have the implants. You'll keep the implants until you get podded (someone blows up your ship, then blows up your pod). Most of the time that won't happen (only other players shoot your pod, not npc characters, and it has a high penalty for them) and if it does you just lose the implants and go back to your normal training speed.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

oh no, how did you keep him from your posting

Maybe I should step up my game and spam some animal gifs.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Webms idiot

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
This is why you'll never be good!!!

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
which goon is this

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:furcry:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Foehammer007 posted:

which goon is this

don't know if he is a goon, but he is a redditor (literally google "fat white guy rapper from reddit" to get his AMA), goes by billy the fridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDruz4tHww

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Every capsuleer has five attributes - Intelligence, Perception, Charisma, Willpower, and Memory. Everyone starts off with a score of 20 in each attribute (except Charisma which starts at 19). These attributes affect how fast skills train, depending on what the skill relies upon - for example skills for flying spaceships depend on Perception and Willpower, while skills used for mining are mostly Memory and Intelligence. (Every skill has a primary attribute and a secondary attribute)

You can remap these attributes, taking points away from some to add to another, from as low as 17 to as high as 27. You can also get attribute implants, which are computer chips you plug into your head and give a boost from +1 to +5 to an attribute. These implants need the skill "Cybernetics" in order to use them (in the Neural Enhancement group of skills).

So, say I have a brand new character, and I want to train Mining Frigates (Perception and Willpower) and Mining Upgrades (Memory and Intelligence). With the default attributes and no implants, I will train both these skills at the same speed of 1800 skill points per hour.

If I remapped Perception to 27 and Willpower to 21, and made everything else 17, then Mining Frigates would train at 2250 SP/h, and Mining Upgrades would train at 1530 SP/h.

If I then plugged in some +5 implants for Perception and Willpower, I'd be training Mining Frigates at 2700 SP/h :toot: as would most of the other spaceship and weapon skills. My mining and science skills would still be slow though.

The downside to implants is that they are permanent - you can't swap in a new one without destroying the old one. They are also lost if your pod is destroyed, so it's a bad idea to fly around in nullsec in your pod with a full set of +5's. You have a much lower risk of losing your pod in highsec though, so it's much safer to go hog wild and have +5's for everything there.

When you remap your attributes you start a one year timer before you can remap again for free, which is why many players will make a plan focusing on skills that use the same attributes and will train only those skills for the year (eg weapons and spaceships using Per and Will, or science and industry using Int and Mem). You can use those bonus remaps anytime you want, but it will start the one year timer anew, so be careful when you use them.

As a new player though, you will need to train skills from all over the place, so a more balanced attribute layout is probably better. As others before me have said, you should download EVEMon and come up with a skill plan for what you want to do, it can come up with a remap that is best for the skills you want to train. Also train Cybernetics and plug some USBs into your head :v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This cat looks just like my girlfriend's cat and acts like it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

that human is expected way too much of his cat

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

humans are assholes. Confirmed

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter