Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

This checks out because I still consider FF7 one of the greatest games ever, even though I haven't played it in over 10 years.

Jesus christ that game was released almost 20 years ago.

e: It's hard to believe that there's only a 6 year jump between FF2(US) and FF7.

e2: THERE'S GONNA BE A REMAKE? :jackbud:

It's episodic so they's actually going to be a chance of it being released sometime within the next twelve years and going from the trailer it's more along the lines of Kingdom Hearts action RPG than turn based. But yeah, there's a remake in the works.

Ratchet and Clank 2016 has a weapon that's just a disco ball you toss out. It works on way more things than you'd expect. The enemies- including helicopters and tanks-, the NPCs, the cube that you buy weapons from, enemies that you've turned into sheep or goats, it's incredible.

Also the game is actually updated with that decade plus of games experience Insomniac has picked up so you can actually strafe and backflip and the weapons are all just called weapons and not in their own clunky other category separated in a menu. It just gives you a second weapon wheel.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RareAcumen posted:

It's episodic so they's actually going to be a chance of it being released sometime within the next twelve years and going from the trailer it's more along the lines of Kingdom Hearts action RPG than turn based. But yeah, there's a remake in the works.

Ratchet and Clank 2016 has a weapon that's just a disco ball you toss out. It works on way more things than you'd expect. The enemies- including helicopters and tanks-, the NPCs, the cube that you buy weapons from, enemies that you've turned into sheep or goats, it's incredible.

Also the game is actually updated with that decade plus of games experience Insomniac has picked up so you can actually strafe and backflip and the weapons are all just called weapons and not in their own clunky other category separated in a menu. It just gives you a second weapon wheel.

I looked at some preview footage for that game and its weird to see almost the exact same level layouts and beats from the game I played a million times 14 years ago but in super sharp next generation graphics. I kind of feel sad that I never got a PS4 now, though from the sounds of it Chairman Drek was better voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson than Paul Giamatti.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I looked at some preview footage for that game and its weird to see almost the exact same level layouts and beats from the game I played a million times 14 years ago but in super sharp next generation graphics. I kind of feel sad that I never got a PS4 now, though from the sounds of it Chairman Drek was better voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson than Paul Giamatti.

The PS4 has a Dark Souls on it so I guess that makes it worth buying now. Maybe in another two years once Uncharted and Overwatch and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno what else people are really excited for. Nier Automata? Fallout 4 came out and was a bit more flawed than people were expecting? Or that's just people here hyperbolizing things and me not having non-goon opinions to mitigate that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

The PS4 has a Dark Souls on it so I guess that makes it worth buying now. Maybe in another two years once Uncharted and Overwatch and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno what else people are really excited for. Nier Automata? Fallout 4 came out and was a bit more flawed than people were expecting? Or that's just people here hyperbolizing things and me not having non-goon opinions to mitigate that.

Waifu Simulator 5

Also re: fallout 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-DQcI7byY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Waifu Simulator 5

They're putting the new Fire Emblem on the PS4 too?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
All my friends were console gamers and mostly Nintendo loyal so we played the gently caress out of some perfect dark. Then we all got halo.

The first halofest is still talked about with reverence. Rich kids entire sound-proofed basement, 4 tvs and Xboxs, 16 controllers, 20+ people for three days. And not little tvs either, I'm talking jacking family tvs from living rooms right into pickup trucks with campers and mattresses. Girlfriends cycling through, tons of lovely microwaveable pizzas and stale marked-down donuts, and 2 liters of offbrand cokes. Weeeeeeeeeeed.

Basically we had a 3 day blood-gulch murderfest. It was the first time most of us had played videogames with more than 4 people at once, so I'm pretty sure the first kid to get two triple-kills with two rockets on two fully-loaded warthogs came in his pants. Bullshit snipers and the the elitely-skilled where traded back and forth on the teams on the fly. Sometimes we'd declare truce and do warthog lap rally murderball, which the only rules where to drive laps and carjack and kill only with spectacular flair, as decided by the mob. Sometimes someone would declare "NEEDLERS ONLY" and then you could only kill with NEEDLERS.

Each team had their own room in the basement. We had the outlaw room that was also a utility room/laundry room etc. On day two someone timidly knocked on the door and one of my friends screamed "Get hosed Faggits!!!"(2002 story), and then rich kids dad walks in to check the water heater and leaves without a word. So we stayed and hotboxed the room for another 36 hours hahhaaha.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh man, my buddy's and I's big experience was discovering the Flood in Halo 1. We were ten, and had never played a FPS as nice looking as Halo. It was past midnight. We were having a blast kicking rear end through some Covvies. Working together, having fun discovering a new game! Tanks. And rocket launchers. And funny robots!

Then this cinematic plays.

They got Johnson!? Zombies!? Jesus they can make people into zombies. Holy poo poo they're so tough to kill their everywhere arggghhh. :nms: OH GAWD WE'RE GONNA DIE AAAAAAH.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RareAcumen posted:

I can get Dark Souls, Fallout 4 and especially Overwatch on my PC, the only thing that's terribly tempting for PS4 is Bloodborne. Its quite annoying how homogeneous things have gotten across the main platforms, R&C is cute and all but I wouldn't buy a whole console just for it, especially since I played the old PS2 games to death years ago.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's FFXV.

Stop laughing it's recovered impressively.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have a similar disappointment with console offerings. There's sometimes just a couple games that, even if I really want them, aren't quite enough to justify buying the console.

I'd love to buy Persona 5, and I'd get Bloodborne if it were available, but that's just not enough to justify a whole console... plus a TV to play it on in my case.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cleretic posted:

I have a similar disappointment with console offerings. There's sometimes just a couple games that, even if I really want them, aren't quite enough to justify buying the console.

I'd love to buy Persona 5, and I'd get Bloodborne if it were available, but that's just not enough to justify a whole console... plus a TV to play it on in my case.

Its not helped for me that a lot of exclusives are stuff like JRPGs or cinematic shooters. I really have no interest in that kind of thing and a surprising amount of them end up on PC later. However consoles also have not-broken versions of games like Arkham Knight or Mortal Kombat X so that can be tempting.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Files but who cares. Perfect dark was rereleased on the 360 but I believe it's offline now and my ps4 rules the living room nowadays anyway. Also it was neutered but I don't remember how.

However, emulation should be heavily considered. Texture packs and stable framerate for one. Secondly, hugely, there is a custom controller setting that no one ever used.

It takes two 64 controllers to pull off, and it turns the game into a standardized console fps by holding two controllers and using a stick each.

PC gamers with savvy should have a field day with that Intel.

Edit: also PD had compatibility with the gameboy color version of Perfecr Dark, and beating levels in one game gave you unlocks in the other.

Also you could take a picture of your face with the game boy camera, and upload it into PD64 to make yourself. Never saw it in action though, hell, may have been a cut feature for all I know lol.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Apr 28, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

going from the trailer it's more along the lines of Kingdom Hearts action RPG than turn based. .

that makes me like 200% more interested, shame about it being episodic

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Quote/= edit so I'll say this:
Computer for SRS BZNS GMZ ONLY, console for 4 controller games / just dance / rock band/ Jack box / PARTY machine. Pair with joints, water, a bigass tv, fog machine, disco ball, lazer lights, blue Christmas lights around the ceiling, and keep it clean and clean- smelling, and the party will come to you.

I have Bluetooth speakers around my house paired with my ps4, and the YouTube app up and running. In a house party, anyone can join my wifi, pair YouTube accounts seamlessly, and add a song to the party queue. Nerds hold the knowledge and knowledge is power.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfgames posted:

that makes me like 200% more interested, shame about it being episodic

Did you really think that Square Enix was just going to remake a 50 hour long JRPG?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Isn't making 50 hour long jrpg's their thing? but honestly i didn't think about it at all because Jrpg's are generally bad and ATB systems are the worst so i didn't care untill i was told it was going to be actiony.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elfgames posted:

Isn't making 50 hour long jrpg's their thing? but honestly i didn't think about it at all because Jrpg's are generally bad and ATB systems are the worst so i didn't care untill i was told it was going to be actiony.

Sure, but they're currently making two others at the same time as well (FFXV and KHIII).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Beastie posted:

The one that was a hybrid third person game was rad. I think it was Everything or Nothing?

It had Willem Dafoe, its own original theme song, and MGS favorite nanomachines. The level design was pretty rad, some where linear but there were a few vehicle sections that had varying paths.

Plus I remember it looking and sounding great on the GameCube.

Seconding this as a good game for it's time. Not sure how well it holds up now, though.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, but they're currently making two others at the same time as well (FFXV and KHIII).

ok that's a fair point but rare accumen acted like square putting out a 50 hour rpg was something that was unthinkable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfgames posted:

ok that's a fair point but rare accumen acted like square putting out a 50 hour rpg was something that was unthinkable.

Nah, just acting like it'd be ridiculous to expect them to remake one of those absurdly long games, completely forgetting about Final Fantasies 3 and 4 DS along with the Advance version of 5 and the many different iterations of 6. :downs: Go me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Elfgames posted:

Making a 50-hour RPG is one thing, but when the game you're making is a remake of Final Fantasy VII where you have a huge amount of different environments which are (almost) all visually distinct from each other, it's a whole different beast to tackle. You can get away with some asset reuse for sure but you can't just make Nibelheim look like Kalm because everyone already knows that those two towns don't look alike.

It's a crazy amount of work if you want to at all stay faithful to both the scope and visuals of the original game.

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, just acting like it'd be ridiculous to expect them to remake one of those absurdly long games, completely forgetting about Final Fantasies 3 and 4 DS along with the Advance version of 5 and the many different iterations of 6. :downs: Go me.

Those old games on the other hand were way easier to work with since they largely used the same sprites from town to town and dungeon to dungeon and none of it has to be particularly detailed since we're talking phones and handhelds rather than realistic graphics.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Did you really think that Square Enix was just going to remake a 50 hour long JRPG?

Yes actually.

Thing is Square Enix could charge like 30-40 dollars for each part and people will pay it cause its FF7.

Its what I'm expecting from them to be honest.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Alteisen posted:

Yes actually.

Thing is Square Enix could charge like 30-40 dollars for each part and people will pay it cause its FF7.

Its what I'm expecting from them to be honest.

That surely goes without saying, especially if their claim about each part being the size of a full game is even close to the truth. There is absolutely zero chance they'd even be able to sell the whole thing combined for the size of one normal game, they wouldn't make the invested money back in a thousands years.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And they just released Bravely Second internationally, which is a very hardline JRPG that goes for fifty-something hours, rather than FFXV and KHIII which I'd say are more action games with RPG mechanics.

The way S-E does modern, HD games is indeed going to require a metric shitton of work for a game of FFVII's size, but honestly, I feel like this is a solution to a problem they made themselves. At least personally, all that I wanted from an FFVII remake was to get a polished up, to-modern-standards version of a game I missed the first time around. The same remake approach that gave us the GBA remakes of the sprite Final Fantasies, as well as the DS/PC remakes of III and especially IV, which there is inherently very little wrong with unless you hate the idea of more JRPGs (even that's tenuous, because it's the same JRPG).

Instead they're going and making a whole new game with the same story, using their newer engine and game mechanics. Putting aside that I inherently disagree with doing that while giving it the same name, that's also where the massive production costs are coming from because making something the size of FFVII to their modern standard is loving big and loving hard. But if instead they went the FFIV DS route, remaking the base game as-is with new graphics and a new engine, that problem would be significantly reduced; fixed perspective in the overworld means they can cut down on modeling and texturing for a lot of the game, and the combat design choices that stemmed from struggling with the PSX's hardware come back to bring the remake down to a manageable scope. Their attempt to turn a classic FF and its scope into a modern FF makes the whole project unmanageable.

I'll tell you what Square game would loving excel at this exact style of remake, though: Chrono Trigger. None of these problems would exist if you were applying them to a Chrono Trigger remake.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Apr 28, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cleretic posted:

I'll tell you what Square game would loving excel at this exact style of remake, though: Chrono Trigger. None of these problems would exist if you were applying them to a Chrono Trigger remake.

Actually, Live a Live, because a quarter as many people have played, hell, heard of it.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

What if they had done something really cute like remake FFVII but in lavish Chrono Trigger art Deluxe++. Not 8 bit, but like as smooth as sprites could be. Update the battle system to be fast and fun as gently caress but still turn based.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

How is being able to play almost every game on every platform a disappointment? I'm glad that exclusives are becoming less of a thing as time goes on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also you could take a picture of your face with the game boy camera, and upload it into PD64 to make yourself. Never saw it in action though, hell, may have been a cut feature for all I know lol.

That was cut, yeah. The generally agreed-upon reason was that letting kids put the faces of, say, their classmates on NPCs and then shoot them...wasn't such a great idea. Beyond that, it generally looked like rear end and required two additional gimmicky products to even use, so no big loss, I think.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Guy Mann posted:

How is being able to play almost every game on every platform a disappointment? I'm glad that exclusives are becoming less of a thing as time goes on.

Yeah, but we're at a point where the exclusives are spartan enough that while you're still missing out on some games depending on your chosen platform, there's not enough to easily pick based on that.

Basically: some exclusives are still appealing, but unless those exclusives are Nintendo then they're no longer a deciding factor, which just leads to disappointment when there's a game like Persona 5 that you can't play, yet isn't a big enough reason to just buy the whole new platform.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you'd buy a console for Nintendo's annual rehashes but not Persona 5 you're crazy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

If you'd buy a console for Nintendo's annual rehashes but not Persona 5 you're crazy.

I don't think Persona is as popular as Mario/Zelda/Kirby games.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think Persona is as popular as Mario/Zelda/Kirby games.

Because this world is poo poo!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Aphrodite posted:

A good Smash, Zelda, Mario, maybe Pokemon, and whatever weirdo one-offs they decide to put money towards is a pretty good library to buy for, given that Nintendo's only ever made one bad game.

Persona 5 is really appealing, but it's just not 'buy an entire new console' appealing. I try to go for a rule of three exclusive games I want before I consider a console, and Nintendo practically hits that count by default.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Cleretic posted:

A good Smash, Zelda, Mario, maybe Pokemon, and whatever weirdo one-offs they decide to put money towards is a pretty good library to buy for, given that Nintendo's only ever made one bad game.

Persona 5 is really appealing, but it's just not 'buy an entire new console' appealing. I try to go for a rule of three exclusive games I want before I consider a console, and Nintendo practically hits that count by default.

Persona 5 probably isn't a great example anyway as it is coming out for PS3 as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At least when you're buying a new Nintendo console you know what you're generally signing up for. A new Mario/Zelda/Kirby and maybe a Smash Bros game. Sometimes you get surprised and Bayonetta 2 comes out on it too.

I don't keep track of games as well as I used to so I don't know what I'd recommend and Xbone or PS4 be bought for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, except all those people buying a Wii U expecting a Zelda game for it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

given that Nintendo's only ever made one bad game.

Nintendo's made loads of lovely games.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Zelda hasn't been good since Majora's Mask.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Zelda hasn't been good, wake up sheeple.

It's high average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What is the one bad Nintendo game?