Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, I downloaded a neat mod that makes Geralt look more pale and after downing drat near every potion in my inventory I went back to the quest giver looking like someone turned me inside out. Scared the gently caress out of me when I first saw it in a cutscene.

Also who else (possession quest spoilers) threw the baby in the oven? :allears: God what a hosed up quest that was.

I did. I also flipped off the possessing demon IRL because gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I diiid, and it was the hardest choice in the game for me i think. I eventually rationalized that nobody in gaming has the balls to actually burn a baby and chucked it in there.

They should totally have gone with it though, in true Witcher style. Yes, Cerys is cunning and political. She kills the heir to Spikeroog on false pretences, leaving her clan to inherit it. Now that's queen material :smuggo:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The entire mission up to that point is "we need to trick each other into doing a bad thing that turns out not to be bad" and then Cerys asks you to do a hilariously over-the-top bad thing with no justification or explanation. Isn't it... pretty obvious that that's the right choice?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Cool hair bro.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end but the quest plot basically goes "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" really hard at you several times regarding what the correct choice is so I 'm constantly being surprised that so many people screwed it up. :v:

My biggest concern was that Cerys wasn't actually Cerys but the demon tricking me or something. It worried me like hell when she seemingly disappears in the cutscene right after throwing in the baby. But they explain her going away after.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah I remember being pretty disappointed in that quest's writing at the time. I guess it worked for some people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt that Geralt would have a "always trust hot red heads" rule.

Which is why i wish there was a mod that gave Geralt Wolverine hair.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Crappy Jack posted:

There are also different levels of it, so if you just chug a potion of swallow right before talking to someone, you've got some weird veins on your face and stuff, but if you've been using decoctions or just got out of a potion-heavy fight, you basically look like a skull with some skin stretched over it.

Here you go. Also, blow gently on his face.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Johnnyonoes posted:

Here you go. Also, blow gently on his face.

Cobain of Rivia

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: oven
I felt bad when I read you could stall the fight out and not murder the guards after I'd already done so.

Re: Evil tree
Everything points to it being as or more powerful than the three crones combined. I figured if I or another witcher had to take one out, it'd be easier to separate and kill the witches than one powerful being.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok, what's up with that abandoned site northwest of Novigrad? It's a lighthouse on an island that if you keep walking north of it, you hit the end of the map. It's guarded by enemies with ?? as their level in red.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Re: oven
I felt bad when I read you could stall the fight out and not murder the guards after I'd already done so.

Yeah that was weird, but I guess the Skelligans would be generally cool with it anyway.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

l33t b4c0n posted:

Just curious, but I feel like I missed the part where the tree spirit actually spells out that the kids are going to get eaten and it will save them if you free it. I know it's insinuated that the kids are pretty hosed and the hags aren't to be trusted, but roleplaying as Geralt, I never felt like I could justify siding with the spirit as it's such an unknown evil. As much as Geralt would like to help everyone, I also feel like he's smart enough to know he can't release an ancient evil on the chance that it might be slightly less evil than the Crones.

My reasoning for siding with the tree was as follows: gently caress the Hags, demon horses are rad. Thank you for listening to my story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Demon horse saves the kids in exchange for some villagers who were rude to you. Obviously the correct choice.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah that was weird, but I guess the Skelligans would be generally cool with it anyway.

What exactly triggers it? A timer? I kept dodging and parrying for quite some time and nothing happened.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Red Mundus posted:

Also who else (possession quest spoilers) threw the baby in the oven? :allears: God what a hosed up quest that was.

Wasn't sure where she was going with it, but figured it would be the most entertaining option either way

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tree quest thing: My reasoning for not freeing the spirit was that I'll take care of the witches myself, there's no point releasing yet another evil entity on top of the ones you already have.

Though I assume it doesn't matter either way and Ciri still has to fight them later even if you do free it, right?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

artichoke posted:

Ok, what's up with that abandoned site northwest of Novigrad? It's a lighthouse on an island that if you keep walking north of it, you hit the end of the map. It's guarded by enemies with ?? as their level in red.

?? just means they're far higher than you in level. That's an area that got added with the Hearts of Stone expansion so you're expected to be over level 30 for it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Witcher 3 quest trilogy:
-what an ugly baby
-throw the baby in the oven
-bury the monster baby

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

What exactly triggers it? A timer? I kept dodging and parrying for quite some time and nothing happened.

No idea, for me I only ended up killing one guard before it triggered and after a minute or so of trying to not kill them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Palpek posted:

Witcher 3 quest trilogy:
-what an ugly baby
-throw the baby in the oven
-bury the monster baby
it thematically represents Geralt's fears of messing up as a parent

actually it probably does

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Has the expansion pass ever been on sale in the past or should I just buy the individual expansions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

orcane posted:

Has the expansion pass ever been on sale in the past or should I just buy the individual expansions?

Just buy them during a sale. That's how I got my DLC.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

John Charity Spring posted:

?? just means they're far higher than you in level. That's an area that got added with the Hearts of Stone expansion so you're expected to be over level 30 for it.

Interesting. I'm level 48 currently!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

artichoke posted:

Interesting. I'm level 48 currently!

NG+ then? If so the expansion wants you to be like 55-60 iirc.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
DRAMA

https://twitter.com/ChineseRoom/status/725958220284465153

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

:jerkbag:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't the Chinese room start out making half life 2 "artistic" mods?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Are they getting mad about a 2012 promo image lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Who?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dear Esther and Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture.

It's okay if you haven't played either of these.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
They did Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs too, which after The Dark Descent was one of my all time greatest videogame disappointments.

We're the pigs! But also the pigs are the pigs. IT'S A METAPHOR LOOK HOW SMART I AM PLEASE READ MY WANKY PSEUDO-VICTORIAN WRITING

Though it did have excellent music and the finale speech was loving epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQ3lZPOJ7Y

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I love that they have gotten to become such humongous hacks that they've stooped to attention whoring.

They're trash.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 29, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
How was Witcher 3 sexist though? I can see complaints about Witcher 1's sex cards, and even Witcher 2 had a few 'get sex as a reward' quests. What do people even have a problem with in this one though?

e:Like I'm legit mad that someone could get through the Bloody Baron's quest, an incredibly well written story about family violence, probably one of the top pieces of writing in the entire medium backed by really solid performances and then nitpick about being able to visit a brothel, or Keira's nipple being visible most of the time, or whatever the gently caress.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 29, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How was Witcher 3 sexist though? I can see complaints about Witcher 1's sex cards, and even Witcher 2 had a few 'get sex as a reward' quests. What do people even have a problem with in this one though?

e:Like I'm legit mad that someone could get through the Bloody Baron's quest, an incredibly well written story about family violence, probably one of the top pieces of writing in the entire medium backed by really solid performances and then nitpick about being able to visit a brothel, or Keira's nipple being visible most of the time, or whatever the gently caress.

Well there is the sexual violence at play in the Carnal Sins quest. Much as it is presented as being horrific, that isn't enough to stop certain people from fetishizing it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah but man have you seen rise of the tomb raider it has like all the emotions in it!!!!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's sexist in much the same way it's racist for not including any people of color (other than the Ofieri merchants in the expansion).

Yes, there are titties, impractically revealing outfits on female characters, and you can visit brothels. There are also a ton of strong, independent female characters (Ciri, Yen, Keira, Cerys, many others).

Yes, there aren't really any characters of color. There are, however, dwarves and elves who are treated like Jews and Roma, severely discriminated against, enslaved, forced to live in ghettos.

Whining about sexism or racism in Witcher 3 only works on a very superficial level. The actual characters, writing, and themes of the game are not sexist or racist. In fact the game is one of the best at exploring things like domestic abuse and racial discrimination in a mature and thoughtful way.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be fair, I will give them that the vast majority of female characters are pretty attractive, while within the men there's much more leeway to have guys like Dijkstra and Lambert in big roles. Even then I think it's stretching it to say it's offensively out of balance though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Witcher 3 is the only game I've seen where the female characters have the agency to dump you for two-timing them. Usually in games you just get a "Pick one of us to progress the relationship" scene/ultimatum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Strategic Tea posted:

To be fair, I will give them that the vast majority of female characters are pretty attractive, while within the men there's much more leeway to have guys like Dijkstra and Lambert in big roles. Even then I think it's stretching it to say it's offensively out of balance though.

On the other hand Yen has a hunchback and Triss has a horrifically burned chest and they're both elderly women.