Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

What? I'm honestly curious how or why it isn't important to you.

It seems like battery life has improved across all phones since I bought my Maxx so it might be less of a concern, but it's still really important to me.

If a phone comfortably lasts through a day for me, then that's Good Enough, and anything more basically doesn't matter. Same with build quality: if it isn't a total piece of poo poo, I don't really care whether it's a Nexus 5 nice plastic or finely-machined aluminum blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

vulturesrow posted:

2 related questions.

1)My Droid Turbo went into the drink and it looks like its not recoverable (screen is shot although I believe the phone actually "works"). Is there any way to factory reset it via USB?

2) I was on the Verizon Edge plan with it and it looks like it is going to be cheaper to pay it off and upgrade it rather use the insurance route. I most likely will get get the S7 Edge (I'm open to being talked out of this by the way if you care to do so) and I'm wondering what the case du jour is in the thread?

I think the S7 Edge is something you should get if you've really fallen in love with it, not if you "will most likely" pick that one but you're "open to being talked out of this". What are the qualities you like about the S7 Edge?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The problem with the battery life discussion also comes down to how much you use the phone. The 5x battery is perfectly fine for me, but 1.5 to 2 hours of SOT is my norm. I'm not on my phone constantly. The battery is Good (especially considering the price paid for the device).

If you're on your phone to the point that you're working up to 5 hours of SOT then, obviously, the 5x would have a bad battery to you, and so you should spend a hundred or two extra to get a phone with a bigger battery.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I can't answer for him but for me I don't give a poo poo about battery life at all. I have Qi chargers everywhere I am (multiple places at home, at the office) so my phone just sits on those all day long. I usually interact with my phone via my Moto 360/2 or Join on my Mac so I seldom pick up the phone unless I'm out and about and even then I'm not an antisocial rear end in a top hat who fiddles with his phone in public. I've never even been in a position where my Nexus 5 with a dying battery has not gotten me through a day.

Even if that weren't the case, with Quick Charge you're only ten minutes away from an 80% full battery so why would battery life ever be a concern?

I'm starting to feel the same way but for slightly different reasons. I bought the Maxx when charging took fooooreeevver and while I'm not on the phone 24/7 I do go out on the road a lot and use my GPS all the time. For some reason my phone can only maintain battery life when I have it going in the car but it will never charge. GPS and Wifi straight up murders my battery and if I didn't have a huge capacity I would be hosed most days. With quick charge I don't think that will be as much of an issue for me and it seems like everything decent has that now.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

vulturesrow posted:

2 related questions.

1)My Droid Turbo went into the drink and it looks like its not recoverable (screen is shot although I believe the phone actually "works"). Is there any way to factory reset it via USB?

2) I was on the Verizon Edge plan with it and it looks like it is going to be cheaper to pay it off and upgrade it rather use the insurance route. I most likely will get get the S7 Edge (I'm open to being talked out of this by the way if you care to do so) and I'm wondering what the case du jour is in the thread?

The normal S7 is also worth looking into if you want a smaller phone than the S7 Edge. Beyond that they're both fantastic.

For cases I either go with Diztronic for cheap ones or the Speck Candyshell Grip cases for... well grip.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Luchadork posted:

The problem with the battery life discussion also comes down to how much you use the phone. The 5x battery is perfectly fine for me, but 1.5 to 2 hours of SOT is my norm. I'm not on my phone constantly. The battery is Good (especially considering the price paid for the device).

If you're on your phone to the point that you're working up to 5 hours of SOT then, obviously, the 5x would have a bad battery to you, and so you should spend a hundred or two extra to get a phone with a bigger battery.

Alternatively, there are ever increasingly larger capacity and smaller form factor portable battery packs for cheap.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

I do go out on the road a lot and use my GPS all the time

This right here is the only good "I need a fuckoff huge battery" reason out there. The other reasons really come down to "Play fewer games and watch fewer animes" where a tablet is probably the better device but if you're GPSing constantly you're really stuck with a phone sitting on a charger all day and no way around that.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

LastInLine posted:

This right here is the only good "I need a fuckoff huge battery" reason out there. The other reasons really come down to "Play fewer games and watch fewer animes" where a tablet is probably the better device but if you're GPSing constantly you're really stuck with a phone sitting on a charger all day and no way around that.

I think if quick charge works in a car charging port I should be perfectly fine. It will matter much less if I can charge 20-30% in a few minutes. My phone is on my charger right now and it's 35%. It probably won't be close to full for another 2 hours and that's just dumb.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

fast charging has saved my life

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone with a Nexus 6P have any issues with bending, like so:

I've had it in a Diztronic case since forever, and only took it out to show a friend. Never dropped, etc, etc.

Is this common?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mister Fister posted:

lol, everyone cares about battery life, i'd bet you'd change your tune if 1.5 hours SOT were the norm :D

Obviously I didn't mean I want a phone with no battery.

On Terra Firma posted:

What? I'm honestly curious how or why it isn't important to you.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. I can't think of any not-poo poo phones that have screen on times that aren't long enough for my usage. It's like when I buy a car...the size of the gas tank doesn't even enter my consciousness when figuring out what to buy because they're all big enough for everything I will conceivably use it for.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. I can't think of any not-poo poo phones that have screen on times that aren't long enough for my usage. It's like when I buy a car...the size of the gas tank doesn't even enter my consciousness when figuring out what to buy because they're all big enough for everything I will conceivably use it for.

Maybe if Honda had cars that you had to fill up every night of the week, I'd reconsider buying American.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BoyBlunder posted:

I've had it in a Diztronic case since forever, and only took it out to show a friend. Never dropped, etc, etc.

Is this common?

I've never seen any phone do that. Did you sit on it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never seen any phone do that. Did you sit on it?

These kinds of posts always contain this:

BoyBlunder posted:

The answer is this person is either outright or inadvertently lying. The likely scenario is you sat on it, or your dog or wife sat on it but didn't tell you.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I accidentally put my Moto G through the washing machine. After turning it off and drying it off as best as I could, I popped off the back cover to see the damage. It was a little wet underneath, but the water damage dot was still white. I let it sit and air dry for a while, but so far it's powered up fine and looks completely unharmed. The Otterbox Commuter case might have had something to do with that too.

IPX7 phones kick rear end.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 28, 2016

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So been travelling with the Nexus 6 running android N DP2. Some interesting notes on new locations have popped up in Google now, translate is a little broken as I'm trying to get it to work out fish speak (Danish) with the camera which is a little interesting.

Picks up and holds different WiFi really well and also uses no data for offline maps which is incredible so you can download offline stuff and use it with no cellular data.

Can't wait for the niggles to be fixed its going to be very good and intuitive when released. I just hope that network roaming charges will become extinct soon so we can all benefit from these things more.

More notes to come as I am country hopping for the next few days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

These kinds of posts always contain this:

The answer is this person is either outright or inadvertently lying. The likely scenario is you sat on it, or your dog or wife sat on it but didn't tell you.

It's also funny that people think a thin layer of cheap plastic will somehow completely stop all bending stresses.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

captain poopfister posted:

So been travelling with the Nexus 6 running android N DP2. Some interesting notes on new locations have popped up in Google now, translate is a little broken as I'm trying to get it to work out fish speak (Danish) with the camera which is a little interesting.

Picks up and holds different WiFi really well and also uses no data for offline maps which is incredible so you can download offline stuff and use it with no cellular data.

Can't wait for the niggles to be fixed its going to be very good and intuitive when released. I just hope that network roaming charges will become extinct soon so we can all benefit from these things more.

More notes to come as I am country hopping for the next few days.

I don't think much of this has anything to do with N

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I don't think much of this has anything to do with N

The Google Now locations seem to be part of a push for more social data in Maps. The latest updates to both apps contained elements of this.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question about app auto update.

I have my phone set to auto-update apps regardless of if I'm on wifi. It is doing this, however it only seems to update them when my phone is plugged in. This is kind of annoying because usually the only time my phone is plugged in while I'm awake is when I'm in bed trying to watch netflix or something, and every time an app updates youtube/netflix/etc pauses for some reason. So I have to hit play like 10 times, one for every app that gets updated. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to make it stop caring about whether my phone is charging?

I have a nexus 6 running 6.0.1.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

The Google Now locations seem to be part of a push for more social data in Maps. The latest updates to both apps contained elements of this.

I think it's one of those staged or location based rollouts. I've been getting both for quite a while now

Maps really loves asking me about disabled access and reservations

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

I have a question about app auto update.

I have my phone set to auto-update apps regardless of if I'm on wifi. It is doing this, however it only seems to update them when my phone is plugged in. This is kind of annoying because usually the only time my phone is plugged in while I'm awake is when I'm in bed trying to watch netflix or something, and every time an app updates youtube/netflix/etc pauses for some reason. So I have to hit play like 10 times, one for every app that gets updated. Is this a known issue? Is there a way to make it stop caring about whether my phone is charging?

I have a nexus 6 running 6.0.1.

Charge your phone while you sleep.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Rastor posted:

I think the S7 Edge is something you should get if you've really fallen in love with it, not if you "will most likely" pick that one but you're "open to being talked out of this". What are the qualities you like about the S7 Edge?

I really like my daughter's S6 and every review I've read of the S7 is overwhelmingly positive. That's essentially it in a nutshell.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Don't get the edge. The extra cost isn't worth it. The normal devices though are also top notch

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

vulturesrow posted:

I really like my daughter's S6 and every review I've read of the S7 is overwhelmingly positive. That's essentially it in a nutshell.

Only get the Edge if you want a bigger screen and/or a bigger battery. The actual edge on the Edge is gimmicky and essentially value-neutral.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I think it's one of those staged or location based rollouts. I've been getting both for quite a while now

Maps really loves asking me about disabled access and reservations

I started getting the notifications to answer questions about my frequently visited places about three weeks ago followed by an invite to be a Local Guide (which sounds an awful lot like doing their work for them for free). Maybe it is regionally restricted if you were seeing them before then because I'm not exactly in a bustling metropolis filled with exotic wonders that require reviews and documentation.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

Only get the Edge if you want a bigger screen and/or a bigger battery. The actual edge on the Edge is gimmicky and essentially value-neutral.

I actually do want both the larger screen and battery

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Edge screen is super useless but super sexy

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

vulturesrow posted:

I actually do want both the larger screen and battery

Then I think it's well worth the upcost compared to the S7.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Eej posted:

The Edge screen is super useless but super sexy

Since I've figured out how to activate the Edge scrolling info I haven't used it since if my phone is close enough that I can read that I may as well just tap the home button and see my notifications full size.

It is however very sexy and everybody asks to see it in action when I show then the phone.

The extra battery was worth the cost for me since I easily make it through the day on a charge now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google has brought in former Moto president Rick Osterloh to head up all of their hardware divisions including the Nexus line. This makes me very happy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BoyBlunder posted:

Is this common?

Mine has the same bend in the same spot (just above the power button.) It's probably because I sometimes sit on it while driving.

I just bent that tiny piece of metal back into place it's fine.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

uPen posted:

Mine has the same bend in the same spot (just above the power button.) It's probably because I sometimes sit on it while driving.

I just bent that tiny piece of metal back into place it's fine.

Well, poo poo, that's exactly what happened.

Stupid loving aluminum phones - I miss my Nexus 5

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Google has brought in former Moto president Rick Osterloh to head up all of their hardware divisions including the Nexus line. This makes me very happy.

Same but of course it's going to take at least two years to see direct results from this. Just in time for my Nexus after this year's.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Not trying to start a a flame war but what is comparable to the S7
PS (normal or edge) right now? I just don't know because I haven't been keeping up in the thread as I figured I'd have my Turbo a bit longer. :facepalm:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

PS (normal or edge) right now?
Scroll up

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Motorla is being hit with a class action lawsuit over their disastrous warranty support.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

PS (normal or edge) right now? I just don't know because I haven't been keeping up in the thread as I figured I'd have my Turbo a bit longer. :facepalm:

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for top of the line the S7 is pretty much it. If you're on a budget or looking for bang for your buck go for the Nexus 6P if you're in the US.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

LastInLine posted:

I started getting the notifications to answer questions about my frequently visited places about three weeks ago followed by an invite to be a Local Guide (which sounds an awful lot like doing their work for them for free).

Not widely publicized but level 4 local guides get a year of 1TB drive storage for free, which I think normally costs $120. I think that's the only monetarily-valued reward though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

HTC 10 is getting some really stellar reviews across the board right now. They'll be at Verizon corporate stores to play with tomorrow if you want to see it in person since they aren't available for sale yet. Some people in the thread have said HTC has bad customer service but I've yet to see or hear that elsewhere. Motorola on the other hand...well. See a few posts above this one.