Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

im pooping! posted:

a surprising number of people apparently google facebook rather than go directly to facebook.com

:iiam:

*my guess is olds

Open browser > type Facebook > get Google result because they didn't type .com > repeat out of habit because it worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Phanatic posted:

Especially because the code for Bill Clinton National Airport in Little Rock is KLIT.

:lol: You learn something new everyday.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nexus6 posted:

Like hell 'it's a common mistake'.

Which one is which? :confused:

Also, she booked a year in advance and never once checked the itinerary?

My mom once had an even stupider mistake when renting a car. She arrived at Orlando Sanford International Airport ready to pick up her vehicle, only to be told that she had never booked anything. Upon looking at her booking, she realized that San Francisco and Sanford were right next to each other on the menu and misclicked.

She was familiar with the rental guys though, so they just booked her on the spot and waved the mistake away.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SpacePig posted:

I mean, it's the first result between the two, so it probably is an incredibly common mistake. I mean, poo poo, she probably could've just searched "Flights from Birmingham to Las Vegas" on Google and clicked the first thing without checking. You'd be surprised how inattentive people can be. Remember that time people started posting their Facebook logins on some woman's blog because it became the top result for Facebook on Google for a day for some reason? And then those same people posted to complain about how they didn't like the new layout?

That was ReadWriteWeb actually: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-want-the-old-facebook-back

And surprisingly it's not an age thing. For all the stereotypes of young people as tech savvy, they really aren't. Sure then know how to install an app on a phone but that's about it for most of them.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Apr 28, 2016

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Hyperlynx posted:

The part that amazes me is the scumbag who hit him said "this is for looking like Shia Labouf", not actually mistaking him for Labouf. What kind of infantile bullshit is "I'm going to punch this thing that looks like something else entirely which I don't like"?

Some people are just that irrational. My ex-husband absolutely hated Beck because he just happened to kinda look like a guy he went to highschool with who was a jerk.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SpacePig posted:

Remember that time people started posting their Facebook logins on some woman's blog because it became the top result for Facebook on Google for a day for some reason? And then those same people posted to complain about how they didn't like the new layout?

Thank you for reminding me of this. I was howling as I read through the comments. Good lord, people are dense.

"The new layout SUCKS"

"where do i log in"

"hunter2"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Like hell 'it's a common mistake'.

Which one is which? :confused:

Also, she booked a year in advance and never once checked the itinerary?

I would say a large amount of english people don't even realise that there is a birmingham in the US. They are probably just too embarrassed to admit it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jippa posted:

I would say a large amount of english people don't even realise that there is a birmingham in the US. They are probably just too embarrassed to admit it.

It's sad to think that all of them will have heard of NEW York and yet not explored the concept of place names in their mind.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Going for a buzzer beater!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5U0EK5QlSw

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

My mom once had an even stupider mistake when renting a car. She arrived at Orlando Sanford International Airport ready to pick up her vehicle, only to be told that she had never booked anything. Upon looking at her booking, she realized that San Francisco and Sanford were right next to each other on the menu and misclicked.

She was familiar with the rental guys though, so they just booked her on the spot and waved the mistake away.

Flying back to the UK from Ireland, first in the queue nice and early to check in. Hand our paperwork over, turns out we'd turned up A DAY LATE. It was even written on the paperwork- we'd totally missed it. We looked at each other like 'We're loving IDIOTS'

We ended up renting a car and sleeping in it in some random part of Ireland and catching the earliest flight we could the next day, it wasn't even worth getting a B&B.

I also worked at an airport in car-rental and lost count of the number of times people hosed up with the 24 hour clock, and would pitch up at 1am when the office was closed and act outraged about it. Or not reading the T&Cs. We had people saying they'd DEFINITELY read them, then when we point out the part they had hosed up on, saying "Well who has the TIME to READ those!!?!?!" Don't get mad at me for being a lazy dumbass.

Pro-tip- if you are renting a car from an airport late at night and the office isn't open 24 hours, make sure you put your flight number in (we got to know the late flight numbers so that would at least give us a clue if you didn't show up in the afternoon) , and ring up a couple of days beforehand to confirm that someone will be there waiting for you. And if you do gently caress up, be nice to the people behind the desk, it's hard to believe but if you are nice to them, they'll try to help you more than if you swear, cuss and yell. I still can't believe people don't understand this.

Ah, customer service :alleyes:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Part of Everything posted:

Some people are just that irrational. My ex-husband absolutely hated Beck because he just happened to kinda look like a guy he went to highschool with who was a jerk.

This could be a funny switcheroo on the Shia Labouf story wherein the famous person gets punched for looking like a nobody that someone doesn't like.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

88h88 posted:

It's sad to think that all of them will have heard of NEW York and yet not explored the concept of place names in their mind.

Honestly as an english person it is quite weird seeing how many even tiny towns have a US/Aus equivalent. I'm interested in the US and look at google maps some times when I watch a programme etc. Lots of people don't though and just use the net for basic stuff. I think it's a generational thing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Phanatic posted:

Especially because the code for Bill Clinton National Airport in Little Rock is KLIT.

No one can find it though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

So it turns out Four Lions was actually a documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWVZdG4x2RQ

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They're gonna put Abu Hajaar on suicide bomber duty next.

I would have taken that loving machine gun away from him the first time he lets off a burst on camera and lets the recoil push him into putting a round into the inside of the armor plating. loving Abu Hajaar, hook those bipod legs over the lip of the plating so they're doing something other than just flapping in the breeze. You're poo poo's going to be way more stable too.

I couldn't stop laughing at the 'a rocket for shooting at people or at armored vehicles?!' exchanges. Never have I appreciated acronyms more than when trying to scream over the sound of gunfire, that just drives it home. Also this video is great for pointing out the importance of trained soldiers; under pressure, every task needs to be done immediately and perfectly so a group of people who are going to be working as closely together as a fire team or vehicle crew need to have put quite a bit of time and thought into working out how they're going to communicate specific things or perform specific tasks like quickly passing ammo out of a pack to the RPG gunner. It gives you rote behaviors to fall back on as your senses white out and your system hits adrenaline saturation; you only have to engage the conscious mind on decisions more complex than which set of drilled behaviors to use when someone drops something, or trips, or loses their voice so you can't hear them, and frequently that's only to abort and reset to the beginning of something.

And the end sequence, with the guys just rolling over and over instead of low-crawling forward! I always used to get poo poo because I would do this in training exercises when I needed to shift a few feet to one side or another, instead of turning and dragging myself. :lol: at someone planning to do it for like loving half a mile or some poo poo until they're out of effective range! (also a sadder lol if the opposition has a couple of marksmen with scopes on watch and the survivors stand up too soon).

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That is also possible for sure, i probably should not have been so authoritative, but him failing was mentioned a lot in other discussion i saw of the video.

I mean, what you described is a pretty simple yet nonetheless effective way to exploit the enemy's lack of heavy weapons in such a way as to open them up for a follow-up assault. The American military would probably come up with the exact same plan, only replacing 'dude driving up-armored pickup full of explosives' with '2-3 JDAMs' and '20 guys in 5 technical'd APCs' with 'a company of Abrams and 2-3 companies of Infantry in Strykers, probably with 3-4 helicopter gunships overhead and a flight of jets available within 60 seconds on the radio.'

Assuming that's their go-to ground assault tactic, the simplest next step is for forces on the front lines to start employing groups of suicide bombers in order to up the odds that at least one gets through while hopefully someone from higher-up is working on evolving another tactic. Of course, a more-sophisticated tactic is going to require access to more/better/at least different equipment, and if that's available you're probably using any ordnance guidance method other than 'human being inside the bomb, steering it.'

Say what you will about spending millions of dollars on guided ordnance, at least we don't build cruise missiles around people so they can steer them.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Never make guinea hen noises back at a big guinea hen. It apparently offended him, and his swarm of girlfriends ended up chasing me until I could dive into my friend's house.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

im pooping! posted:

a surprising number of people apparently google facebook rather than go directly to facebook.com

*my guess is olds

Olds nothing. People of all ages can't tell search bars from url bars. I see this in the computer lab i work in every day.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Aerofallosov posted:

Never make guinea hen noises back at a big guinea hen. It apparently offended him, and his swarm of girlfriends ended up chasing me until I could dive into my friend's house.

Those screaming bags of feathers are mean. They're great alarms for your farm, but probably less delicious and useful than they're worth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

im pooping! posted:

*my guess is olds

I've seen an old google for Google.

".... oh... OHHHH! Yeah, I guess they're the same."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Staryberry posted:

Ontario Airport is a regional airport outside of Los Angeles. Many people are disappointed when they intended to fly to Canada.

Edited to Add: http://i.imgur.com/0h2nr4s.gifv

I love the guy to the right who collapses laughing

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I keep looking for one guy on the team that tried to run in the correct direction but nope, they all just stand there acting like they don't know its the opponents basket.

I did this once but it was Jewish Community Center rec league and it was after the halftime tip, so I just forgot that we had switched baskets. This one is much worse than that and they are pros.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

IIRC the people who were in that got severely injured, "almost lost a leg" severely.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kurieg posted:

IIRC the people who were in that got severely injured, "almost lost a leg" severely.

I bet the injuries were from the cable exploding. Not to mention they probably got hosed up from hitting those lights. Ugh.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

Olds nothing. People of all ages can't tell search bars from url bars. I see this in the computer lab i work in every day.

I'm really not seeing how that's bad?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I'm always amazed these things are still in operation everywhere. I've seen enough videos of them failing to know I'll never get strapped into one.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

This is art.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Clitch posted:

I'm always amazed these things are still in operation everywhere. I've seen enough videos of them failing to know I'll never get strapped into one.

My dad and I went on the Superman Tower of Power exactly once, saw some videos of poo poo like this happening, and haven't gone within a hundred feet of the fucker since.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My dad and I went on the Superman Tower of Power exactly once, saw some videos of poo poo like this happening, and haven't gone within a hundred feet of the fucker since.

Hah. I was on that two weeks ago, and all I did while I was in line was watch the slingshot of death on the other side of the path, just in case something went wrong.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wanamingo posted:

Yeah if you're using a modern browser, it's the same thing.

Re going the wrong place chat. I sent a pallet of sample cards, about 40k worth, to Lima in Peru. DHL, being run by a pack of syphilitic monkeys as they are, sent them to Lima, Ohio, where they sat for a week before some fucktard backed a forklift into them. Then, as opposed to "better contact the people who own these for instruction" they went with the tried-and-true option of "well they're hosed now better tip them in the dumpster".

loving shipping companies are the worst.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wanamingo posted:

I didn't say it was, I said it has nothing to do with being old. You end up googling Google because you type Google in a Google search bar. It's just how it is.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Memento posted:

Yeah if you're using a modern browser, it's the same thing.

Re going the wrong place chat. I sent a pallet of sample cards, about 40k worth, to Lima in Peru. DHL, being run by a pack of syphilitic monkeys as they are, sent them to Lima, Ohio, where they sat for a week before some fucktard backed a forklift into them. Then, as opposed to "better contact the people who own these for instruction" they went with the tried-and-true option of "well they're hosed now better tip them in the dumpster".

loving shipping companies are the worst.

You do know what DHL stands for, right?

Drop it, Hide it, Lose it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ABU HAJAAR :byodood:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aerofallosov posted:

If it was a male it wouldn't have been a guinea hen

The male is called a guinea pig :eng101:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Data Graham posted:

If it was a male it wouldn't have been a guinea hen

The male is called a guinea pig :eng101:

Are you being funny?

My grandparents had guinea fowl on their farm. I hated those fuckers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L9Sj1RCVYQ

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I'm the dude just rolling all the way back to base

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Open browser > type Facebook > get Google result because they didn't type .com > repeat out of habit because it worked

Nope, people also very often load Google, type "facebook" into the search box, search, and click the link. I forget what portion of our front-page traffic comes through that, but it was higher than I expected by a fair amount.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I mean, you'll see people painstakingly type in "http://www.google.com" and then google for facebook.

If it's not your core competency, you learn how to do it once and then never try to learn a better way. I'm sure we all have things in our lives we treat the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Abu Hajar needs to be a smiley