Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The last chapter definitely landed with a clunk, although I'm quite confident it wasn't actually trying to say that Mary was right, because there's no dilemma if she is.

The intended dilemma was "I'm right but I'm doing nothing, and Mary's super-wrong but she's doing something. Does that make her more of a force for justice than I am?"

(If the intended reading was that Mary is right and murdering random probably-rapists is totes awesome and Allison should be doing it, there isn't really a dilemma at all.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I think this comic is at its strongest when it's exploring the tension of someone who is really good at punching things to solve problems trying to figure out how to solve problems you can't solve by punching things.

Though, as I'm now going through the process of selling a house and buying a new one, the comment about the long times of work getting glossed over for the prize that come up here and here is something I sympathize with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm not saying Mulligan was explicitly trying to portray Mary as being right, but he definitely tried to show her point of view as one with some amount of merit and went kind of far out of his way to show the whole idea of unilaterally torturing and murdering people you don't like as some morally ambiguous food for thought, yes hmm, really made me think.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I love this guy.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

She doesn't really think he's going to fail her and sad boy, does she?

You were right. He didn't fail her and sad boy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
"Push her buttons and see if her beliefs change" seems like the the kind of thing the government would very much like professors to avoid practicing on the unstoppable killing machine that is only held back by said beliefs.

I would think they'd at least take an interest in vetting the teacher of any class she's going to be in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Carrasco posted:

I love this guy.

You were right. He didn't fail her and sad boy.

OR DID HE

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Slashrat posted:

"Push her buttons and see if her beliefs change" seems like the the kind of thing the government would very much like professors to avoid practicing on the unstoppable killing machine that is only held back by said beliefs.

I would think they'd at least take an interest in vetting the teacher of any class she's going to be in.

It's possible this is government sanctioned and run. I can't imagine there would be to many professors, even in the apparently badass field of philosophy, who would deliberate try to enrage Allison for no reason other than to show a college student that the world isn't as simple as she thinks it is. This whole thing makes me think of how in Watchmen the government had a full time team of psychologists analyzing Dr Manhattan. It would shock me if there isn't a similar set up in this universe for the top tier of super powered people.

Given what's happened with Mary, and Allison's recent very public assault and threats of mass murder the government may have decided she needs some "subtle" pushes to put her back onto the mental track they think is best for her, or at least keeps her from rocking the boat to much.

Or maybe Patrick sent this guy to screw with her.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

double post

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Or, maybe, this professor is extremely cocky because he has tenure and is treating Alison like any other student, without thinking of the large-scale ramifications other than "hah, what are they going to do, fire me?".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you're an ideological challenge and a philo 101 demonstration of the prisoner's dilemma away from going full Hitler the real world was always thirty seconds from putting you there anyway

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe he's just one of those guys who, if told he can't give someone an F, will be determined to do it just because you told him not to.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm actually pretty sure he's just loving with her still, and I'm looking forward to where this is going in a not spite-watching way.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Again, he didn't fail her and the boy.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you're an ideological challenge and a philo 101 demonstration of the prisoner's dilemma away from going full Hitler the real world was always thirty seconds from putting you there anyway

Pretty much this. Actually, Alison's naivete usually makes sense but here it really doesn't, because if there's one thing superheroes learn about it's ethical dilemmas. Did a Templar drone never hold up her boyfriend in one hand and a trolley full of kids in the other?

I guess that kind of experience isn't always relevant, though. "Wait, I know how this works. The answer is...his black tile is actually a shapeshifter! Nice try, Professor Evil!"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
This guy is the best, and this made me consider a serious question:

Why does Alison want to pass this class? Why does Alison want to graduate college? I don't mean 'why does she want to learn philosophy' or 'why does she want a college education' - those are self explanatory. But Alison cares about social endorsement of her achievements. Has she thought about why?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Why does Alison want to pass this class? Why does Alison want to graduate college? I don't mean 'why does she want to learn philosophy' or 'why does she want a college education' - those are self explanatory. But Alison cares about social endorsement of her achievements. Has she thought about why?

That's the topic of next week's lesson. :eng101:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She wants to change the world with the power of her liberal arts degree.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Maybe she'll drop out halfway through to focus full-time on her startup. Like the Olsen twins, but with less cocaine...so far.

Also, I'm whoever said "a big sandwich".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

This is a good point. Why is Alison bothering to take Psych if she should be focusing on social work, social justice/environmental justice or something more directly applicable? I get it, well rounded adult, but maybe we as the readers should know why this class is of such ultimate importance to her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Carrasco posted:

Pretty much this. Actually, Alison's naivete usually makes sense but here it really doesn't, because if there's one thing superheroes learn about it's ethical dilemmas. Did a Templar drone never hold up her boyfriend in one hand and a trolley full of kids in the other?

I guess that kind of experience isn't always relevant, though. "Wait, I know how this works. The answer is...his black tile is actually a shapeshifter! Nice try, Professor Evil!"

I don't think Mulligan spent a lot of time on mainstream comics himself, I know Molly Ostrander has said she never did. It does feel like another odd blind spot in this comic's view of what it's trying to deconstruct.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

rotinaj posted:

This is a good point. Why is Alison bothering to take Psych if she should be focusing on social work, social justice/environmental justice or something more directly applicable? I get it, well rounded adult, but maybe we as the readers should know why this class is of such ultimate importance to her.

The issue is not, 'why is Alison taking this class'. That's straight forward, she wants to learn. Why does she want to pass the class? Why does it matter to her if her learning is officiated or not?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

The issue is not, 'why is Alison taking this class'. That's straight forward, she wants to learn. Why does she want to pass the class? Why does it matter to her if her learning is officiated or not?

She came into the class with a closed mind. Sure, the professor is loving with her, but she doesn't have any sort of mindset to actually want to learn. But we're not talking about the same thing here.

Like always, I'm beating on the author here. He's not showing in the material why she is taking THIS class over others. She isn't showing any signs of wanting to become more knowledgeable of the source material, we have no clue if it's a general education requirement. It feels more like she's here because he came up with the idea for this scene with the white stone and black stone, and just connected the dots without smoothing out the transition. I'm just being a dick about the author not being terribly good at making the scene flow make sense.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Like always, I'm beating on the author here. He's not showing in the material why she is taking THIS class over others. She isn't showing any signs of wanting to become more knowledgeable of the source material, we have no clue if it's a general education requirement. It feels more like she's here because he came up with the idea for this scene with the white stone and black stone, and just connected the dots without smoothing out the transition. I'm just being a dick about the author not being terribly good at making the scene flow make sense.

The class is Philosophy 201 (per the prof's introduction). Isn't philosophy what she's in university to study?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think Mulligan spent a lot of time on mainstream comics himself, I know Molly Ostrander has said she never did. It does feel like another odd blind spot in this comic's view of what it's trying to deconstruct.

Ostertag's comment on this page is "I've only read one Superman comic and so that is the one I drew, points to whoever recognizes the cover!", so yeah, she's probably not a big reader of traditional superhero comics. Given that Mulligan namechecks Grant Morrison in this interview, he's probably got a bit more experience there. He talks about reading Batman/Superman/etc, too.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

This may literally be the point of what the professor is in the process of telling her, or asking her. Will she keep going to close even if she is 100% certain to get an F? Alternately, he may be trying to make another kind of point, like "don't say 'gently caress you' to your teacher".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tbh easily 75% of the irl humanities undergrads I've ever met had no loving idea what they wanted a college degree for

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

tbh easily 75% of the irl undergrads I've ever met had no loving idea what they wanted a college degree for

ftfy

fake edit: I guess I could add "in the 18-24 demographic." Non-trad undergrads usually have it figured out and tightly plotted.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These days, college has become widely accepted as a rite of passage into adulthood* where large amounts of money and time are ritualistically sacrificed so that offspring will leave their parents and maybe some employers will look kindly upon their achievement of earning a piece of paper and grant unto them a job which will spring into a career.

*Of course, it's also the style these days to reject the title of "adult" because you just don't feel like one, even if you accept the duties and responsibilities of an adult such as providing for yourself independently. Childish hobbies make you still a child, right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Childish hobbies make you still a child, right?

How dare you? On this, the most sacrosanct of Internet Comedy Forums.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

We have a Childish Games student organization at my school. Does that count?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I really like this page.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What even is this series anymore? We get Allison moving on the right path to doing something about a problem in the world and then pull the drag chute so we can rehash the good parts of SFP? We have an rear end in a top hat teacher and cleaver except now the teacher hasn't had his seeming disdain for Allison explained or rationalized, and now she's playing chess with Cleaver talking things out like they're old highschool friends. Also trigger warnings. Except I can't decide if she's bummed out by "loudmouth", "Shitstain", "punk bitch", or "megagirl". All those seem to be pretty good insults at this point.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Brought To You By posted:

What even is this series anymore? We get Allison moving on the right path to doing something about a problem in the world and then pull the drag chute so we can rehash the good parts of SFP? We have an rear end in a top hat teacher and cleaver except now the teacher hasn't had his seeming disdain for Allison explained or rationalized, and now she's playing chess with Cleaver talking things out like they're old highschool friends. Also trigger warnings. Except I can't decide if she's bummed out by "loudmouth", "Shitstain", "punk bitch", or "megagirl". All those seem to be pretty good insults at this point.

I'd assume 'bitch'. Gendered slurs are the usual, "Hey, cut it out" in those circles. Given that I'm in those circles, and I'm trying to cut them out of my own vocabulary...

Also, believe you me, it is a pain in the rear end to do. I find myself reaching for a gendered slur, put it back, and then reflexively pick up a different gendered slur. It's like learning to breathe manually.

I'm glad to see Cleaver back and I enjoy seeing Allison getting made fun of by people so I'm enjoying this comic lately.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Also, believe you me, it is a pain in the rear end to do. I find myself reaching for a gendered slur, put it back, and then reflexively pick up a different gendered slur. It's like learning to breathe manually.

That gag in comedies where someone catches themselves cursing in frond of a kid or something, then curses again realizing it? Yeah, happens all the time.

My sympathies, and kudos on trying to adjust.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think she meant "punk" because of its unfortunate prison rape connotation, seeing as Daniel is in prison
e: clear segue from last chapter too!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Who is the guy whose job it is to wipe Cleaver's butt, is what this page has me wondering :gonk:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Flesh Forge posted:

Who is the guy whose job it is to wipe Cleaver's butt, is what this page has me wondering :gonk:

It's called a bidet, you hillbilly

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Flesh Forge posted:

Imagine how many people Patrick must have employed to do that over the years.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It's called a bidet, you hillbilly

For the sake of everyone's sanity, let's just go with this answer and think no more of it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey this comic is being good again :unsmith:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
"The Queen should just get to plow through her own guys" felt a little on the nose. I like having Cleaver back but I probably didn't need him delivering that line to know that it would be wrong for Mega Girl to implement her ideas of how to improve the world with nary a care for the little guys around her just because they're not as useful :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh this comic

• Locked thread