Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tsob posted:

I'd say the same if you think Luffy would need or accept his crew's help in defeating an arc boss, or if you think he'd consider himself deserving of the status of Captain or Pirate King if he needed that help. He's had situational help with some arc bosses, like Nami driving him to Enel and the Rolling Pirates giving him shadows to fight Moria, but it's always temporary help and he always does the meat of the fight on his own. He does so because that's his role in the crew and he needs to be strong enough to do so to be able to fulfill his dream. If he's not strong enough to defeat Kaidou, why should he be the Pirate King?

If there was a personal stake then sure, but I doubt Luffy really gives a poo poo if people help him take out a dude. Especially because I really don't think Luffy considers defeating Kaidou or Big Mum to be like a necessary step to become pirate King or anything. Maybe he'd want to fight solo against Big Mum because it's to get a crew member back and that's a fairly personal feud, but even though he needs a poneglyph from her I don't think Luffy views the situation as 'before he can become pirate King he must defeat the 4 warlords'.

With Kaidou he'd probably worry about it even less. He wants to beat Kaidou to help out a friend because Momonosuke and Law both want his help in taking him out. It'll probably get more personal when the arc really starts but as of now I doubt he think he has the be the one to beat Kaidou, and that he has to do it alone. Like, against Doflamingo he wasn't against Law helping him out when the fight first began, events just happened that led to it becoming one-on-one.

Of course, he might face them by himself anyway because it's a shonen and it'll prove Luffy has reached the level of one of the strongest people in the world. But I don't really see the reason for it being that he has to win by himself to achieve his dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

AradoBalanga posted:

It was probably some grand plan by Oda to set something up down the road. What that plan is, we'll just have to see.

The plan definitely has something to do with the fact that he used up all the provisions on the Thousand Sunny.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they will be saved by gin and krieg's new world floating restaurant

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Luffy's thing is that he has to be able to beat the gently caress out of any single person that tries to harm his crew because not everyone in his crew is strong. It's not really as much about status as it is about his role as captain in making sure he can protect his friends that he wants to sail with. This was actually a pretty big undercurrent to the Lucci fight - if Luffy couldn't hold him back and beat him, Lucci 100% would have killed the entire crew. It's a principle that applies pretty easily to several of the antagonists we've seen since.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cloks posted:

The plan definitely has something to do with the fact that he used up all the provisions on the Thousand Sunny.

I'm telling you... It's gonna be a parallel with Sanji's intro arc and the starving Kreig Pirates. It is GOING to happen!

Maybe Big Mom refuses to share her food and Sanji is so disgusted by her greediness and wasteful nature he can't take it and leaves his wife-to-be at the alter to rejoin with luffy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AradoBalanga posted:

I would love for Pirate Docking 6 to return, but this time Robin actually joins in (or Nami takes her place) on the action.

Astro Ambulance posted:

Jimbei's true purpose.

red plastic cup posted:

hes too fat to be the other arm. he would throw the whole thing off balance

Je suis fatigue posted:

Obviously Carrot would be a perfect fit. Just more evidence of Carrot being the next crew member ah-yup

You guys are silly. There's already a clear replacement for Robin. Someone who was there at the first inception of Big Emperor.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

tsob posted:

I'd say the same if you think Luffy would need or accept his crew's help in defeating an arc boss, or if you think he'd consider himself deserving of the status of Captain or Pirate King if he needed that help. He's had situational help with some arc bosses, like Nami driving him to Enel and the Rolling Pirates giving him shadows to fight Moria, but it's always temporary help and he always does the meat of the fight on his own. He does so because that's his role in the crew and he needs to be strong enough to do so to be able to fulfill his dream. If he's not strong enough to defeat Kaidou, why should he be the Pirate King?

You're confusing Luffy with Ichigo. Luffy has never actively sought a fight unless he's fighting for someone he cares about, or if the antagonist has pissed him off, usually by hurting someone he cares about. He doesn't care about being strong, he left home on a tiny raft and has only fought when it was thrust upon him. He cares about freedom and becoming Pirate King. Now, because it's shonen, he will obviously punch a lot of people on the way to that goal, but he only needs to be strong enough to protect people.

The only person obsessed with becoming strong for the sake of being the best is Zoro, which is why he's also the only person seen training hard in between every arc.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I can't stop laughing about how Luffy just realised Dragon's his dad.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Also whose loving bright idea was it to let Luffy cook?

theoretically luffy has lived alone on an island multiple times in his life. he should be able to just like char some meat acceptably.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Advice posted:

You're confusing Luffy with Ichigo. Luffy has never actively sought a fight unless he's fighting for someone he cares about, or if the antagonist has pissed him off, usually by hurting someone he cares about. He doesn't care about being strong, he left home on a tiny raft and has only fought when it was thrust upon him. He cares about freedom and becoming Pirate King. Now, because it's shonen, he will obviously punch a lot of people on the way to that goal, but he only needs to be strong enough to protect people.

The only person obsessed with becoming strong for the sake of being the best is Zoro, which is why he's also the only person seen training hard in between every arc.

Luffy literally told Arlong his job on the crew was to beat the people no-one was else could and that since he had no other specialty like cooking or swords, he didn't deserve to be captain if he couldn't do that. As well as becoming strong because he knew his crew wasn't and wanted to protect them as Oh Snapple! mentioned, he told Ao Kuji pretty much that if I recall and has stated he knows he needs to beat the four Emperors to become Pirate King so he had no problem targeting Shanks, since he'd have to beat him at some point.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

AradoBalanga posted:

It was probably some grand plan by Oda to set something up down the road. What that plan is, we'll just have to see.

Also, One Piece is on break this week, right?

Chopper's finally going to fulfil his role as emergency rations?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope the Strawhats and the Red Hair pirates have a party off. Strawhats win via Nami and Zoro pulling a Whiskey Peak.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Gyges posted:

I really hope the Strawhats and the Red Hair pirates have a party off. Strawhats win via Nami and Zoro pulling a Whiskey Peak.

Suddenly I realize all those calories went straight to her tits.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mechanigma posted:

Chopper's finally going to fulfil his role as emergency rations?

That's what Carrot is for. :unsmigghh:

Also, how did Luffy forget that Dragon was his father? It was mentioned to him at least as recently as the journey down to Fishman Island, and that was only a few weeks back for them.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Suddenly I realize all those calories went straight to her tits.

Living and studying up in the cloud city resulted in expansion due to low outside pressure at high altitude. She was up there so long the stretching was made permanent and now she just wears REALLY good pushup bras to compensate for the sagging.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also, how did Luffy forget that Dragon was his father? It was mentioned to him at least as recently as the journey down to Fishman Island, and that was only a few weeks back for them.

I think he knew, it's more he never saw a picture of Dragon before.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That alternative universe where Oda went with a female protagonists that used her stretchy breasts for attacking

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

tsob posted:

Luffy literally told Arlong his job on the crew was to beat the people no-one was else could and that since he had no other specialty like cooking or swords, he didn't deserve to be captain if he couldn't do that. As well as becoming strong because he knew his crew wasn't and wanted to protect them as Oh Snapple! mentioned, he told Ao Kuji pretty much that if I recall and has stated he knows he needs to beat the four Emperors to become Pirate King so he had no problem targeting Shanks, since he'd have to beat him at some point.

If having the most freedom makes you the Pirate King, then you need to be strong so that other people (ie the Four Emperors) can't subjugate you. Luffy has to beat up at least 2 of the 4 because only Shanks would be rational and open to coexisting with Luffy, and maybe he won't have to beat up Big Mom if Sanji wins her over with some amazing cooking. Luffy is freakishly strong and pretty dumb, so he has two roles as captain: lead the crew and beat up anyone that is too strong for anyone else.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Luffy isn't gonna fight Shanks because Shanks doesn't give a gently caress about being the king and just wants to be left alone to throw sick beach parties with his homies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Luffy isn't gonna fight Shanks because Shanks doesn't give a gently caress about being the king and just wants to be left alone to throw sick beach parties with his homies.

Luffy wants to prove himself to Shanks, though, which will probably involve a (friendly and good-humoured but devastating) fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

Luffy wants to prove himself to Shanks, though, which will probably involve a (friendly and good-humoured but devastating) fight.

Shanks will ask him if he would like a glass of milk, if Luffy turns it down he will have finally passed the test from back when Luffy first ate the Gum Gum fruit.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He didn't forget, he never knew.

Whenever someone tried to explain it he just responded "oh, I see, he's a mystery dad."

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is this the off week for the month?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this the off week for the month?

Its golden week, enjoy a week off from manga nerd.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Spend the day rereading the archives.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I got the latest release of the One Piece dub that finishes up Impel Dawn, it's great

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its golden week, enjoy a week off from manga nerd.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think Shanks is the kind of guy who is impressed by fighting ability so much as character. The pirates he respected he respected for their beliefs and personalities more than their ability to swing a sword.

Opposite of Kaidu, I reckon.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't think Shanks is the kind of guy who is impressed by fighting ability so much as character. The pirates he respected he respected for their beliefs and personalities more than their ability to swing a sword.

Luffy is going to accept the milk still, and that will be enough

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crazyeyes posted:

a party as the last chapter with shanks accepting the straw hat back and luffy has avenged his loss to blackbeard

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The real villain of One Piece.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

drat you, Goldenweek! :argh:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

tsob posted:

I think you took the wrong message from the Arlong fight. Arlong was the one who tied his self-worth to his strength. Luffy specifically says there's a lot he can't do and that's why he has friends. When Arlong asks him, "Just what exactly can you do?" and Luffy responds with, "I can beat you." That was just smack talk. Zoro could have beaten Arlong, if he wasn't severely injured. Sanji too, maybe, if his lungs hadn't just nearly burst.

Luffy fights the biggest bad on his own solely to protect his friends, not to prove himself.

The idea that Luffy would think himself unworthy of being Pirate King if he had help from his friends fighting someone is so :emo: and un-Luffy-like that I kind of take offence to it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I do think Kaidou (or maybe Big Mom) will be the Straw Hats' Enies Lobby moment in the New World where they really have to struggle and maybe face some set backs to bounce back from. I don't think Big Mom is a weakling either, though, so I'm curious as to what her powers are that make her so fearsome and intimidating.

E: What if... What if Big Mom literally eats her opponents alive? :stare: like, what if she tried to eat Luffy like in her introduction scene when Big Mom ate one of her own crew members? That scene also implied her saliva is acidic, maybe she has acid spitting powers similar to Magellan?

As the recent scenes with Sanji and Kaidou show, Big Mom and Kaidou seem to treat their own crew members as disposable pawns to be thrown away at a given moment. Baron Tamago's attitude with Pekoms seems to reflect that.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 29, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I do think Kaidou (or maybe Big Mom) will be the Straw Hats' Enies Lobby moment in the New World where they really have to struggle and maybe face some set backs to bounce back from.

I think Big Mom fills more of a Enel or Arlong role in the story now. Luffy is just going to have to go all out and beat her, much like Arlong/Enel and maybe his fruit will allow him an extra advantage to a foe whose fruit is otherwise overwhelming. I mean he is going to save a crew member much like the Arlong arch.

Kaido is where the big showdown is going to happen because the dude titles openly brag about the fact, "yes I Kaido have gotten my rear end handed to me! So what? I get back up, no matter how ridiculous the situation and keep on fighting. No one can kill me, not even myself" and Luffy is going to have to digg down deep, risk his own health and get creative to defeat him permanently. (At which point I think the Reviere just happens and the number one agenda becomes "Holy poo poo, Luffy just destroyed two of Emperors of the Sea within a couple weeks, what the hell?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Luffy fought alongside Law for a good chunk of the Doffy fight and there was never any indication that he felt it was 'cheap' or any nonsense like that.

Especially when pre-Gear 4 the most damaging hit Doffy took was from Law, not Luffy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he also fights together with his crew to beat that first pacifista they meet on sabaody, or however you spell that. he also tells them to run away when more show up, so it's not like he feels the need to fight when they can't win

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think Kaidou is when Luffy will be forced by necessity to Awaken his Devil Fruit powers and use it to... I dunno, vibrate the cells of Kaidou's body until he explodes or something. Or maybe make a pseudo Quake-fruit attack with vibrating shockwaves through the air similar to how Luffy emulates Ace's fire powers with his Red Hawk attack.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Luffy fought alongside Law for a good chunk of the Doffy fight and there was never any indication that he felt it was 'cheap' or any nonsense like that.

Especially when pre-Gear 4 the most damaging hit Doffy took was from Law, not Luffy.

Yeah I'm not really sure where he got the idea that Luffy doesn't like to fight with allies or crewmates. That little speech to Arlong was more about how he understands that a captain doesn't have to do everything better than anyone else, which is why he's okay with using his crews help to take down foes. Plus there are numerous examples of it when they take down the pacifistas together, take down Oz together, taking down the Kraken and his fight against Donflamingo.

Arlong would be the type to do that, not Luffy, the only difference is Luffy understands that he has to be stronger that everyone else in order to protect his crew and let them know they can rely on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think Kaidou is when Luffy will be forced by necessity to Awaken his Devil Fruit powers and use it to... I dunno, vibrate the cells of Kaidou's body until he explodes or something. Or maybe make a pseudo Quake-fruit attack with vibrating shockwaves through the air similar to how Luffy emulates Ace's fire powers with his Red Hawk attack.

I just kind of figured he'd turn the area around him into rubber, isn't that sort of what Doflamingo's did (but with string buildings)?