Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The Oasis seems like the perfect ebook reader for people who are loving loaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

fishmech posted:

The primary difference is that the Voyage has a higher resolution screen, double the onboard storage
Worth noting that you get this with PW3 as well.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Is now the time to jump on the refurb Voyage purchase train or is Amazon trickling out new eReaders slowly? I have a Paperwhite currently but... I need buttons, man.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bunk Rogers posted:

Is now the time to jump on the refurb Voyage purchase train or is Amazon trickling out new eReaders slowly? I have a Paperwhite currently but... I need buttons, man.

The refurbished Voyage is still on sale for $152 (with the special offers) and it's still an excellent reader. I think you might need to wait til the fall for any successor Voyage.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I was really excited for the Oasis but I cannot justify that price. I am in dire need of a new kindle as my wife stole my old one and I hate reading on my tablet. Refurb Voyage it is.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

atomicthumbs posted:

The Oasis seems like the perfect ebook reader for people who are loving loaded
Money or booze! I turned off one click after ordering~$500 worth of crap one night with a bottle of scotch. Although the seamonkeys were entertaining af at the office.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I really, really want a Kindle with buttons, and the Oasis really appeals to me. I've had a paperwhite for a couple years, and though I like it well enough, I don't find myself using it near as much as I did my keyboard; something about the (lack of) real organization on the home screen (I have a problem with buying humble book bundles, so I have hundreds of books) and the fact that somehow with the lack of buttons I can't really find a really comfortable position to use the touchscreen just has me using it less.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Oasis - black, no special offers, no other upgrades - with an arrival date of June 24. I guess we'll see if I have a fit of sanity between now and then and cancel it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody upgrade from the 6th generation Paperwhite to the 300ppi model? I talked myself out of getting the Oasis but that $70 trade in credit is tempting.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kerafyrm posted:

I really, really want a Kindle with buttons, and the Oasis really appeals to me. I've had a paperwhite for a couple years, and though I like it well enough, I don't find myself using it near as much as I did my keyboard; something about the (lack of) real organization on the home screen (I have a problem with buying humble book bundles, so I have hundreds of books) and the fact that somehow with the lack of buttons I can't really find a really comfortable position to use the touchscreen just has me using it less.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Oasis - black, no special offers, no other upgrades - with an arrival date of June 24. I guess we'll see if I have a fit of sanity between now and then and cancel it.

Librarian Sync will allow you to organize any Kindle by filename or Calibre tags. No nested collections, though.

Unfortunately the Oasis can't be jailbroken, but your Paperwhite can. Never mind.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
20% off the Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage today at Amazon UK.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

20% off the Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage today at Amazon UK.

Yep, that swung it for me. Should be coming today!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's a good case for the Voyage? I've heard great things about the OMOTON but apparently it's really tight. It would be nice to read without the case sometimes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Vegetable posted:

What's a good case for the Voyage? I've heard great things about the OMOTON but apparently it's really tight. It would be nice to read without the case sometimes.

The official case uses magnets. It holds securely (I drop mine on carpet a lot and it hasn't fallen out), but I am able to get the Voyage out on purpose without hassle. It doesn't completely cover the sides, if that's important to you, and it's also really expensive compared to the Omoton line.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

I've been using this case since I got it: http://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Kindle-Voyage-Premium-Leather/dp/B00NQNI2CQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It has the magnets in for autowake and everything. Also, it's only $15

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone here getting their Oasis today/tomorrow? My shipping was just changed from June 6 to May 16.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I am still debating if I should pull the trigger on a new Oasis or a refurb Voyage, the last kindle I have owned was back in 2011ish and my daughter now uses and I pretty much stopped using my iPad and there are so many books I want to continue reading!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Do any of the Oasis or Voyage do actual textbooks or journal articles well? I imagine no, but it would be nice to be able to read on a non PC since I don't really like reading on an iPad and my best time is at night when having a non-led screen would be great.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My Oasis arrived today. It's pretty much exactly what they said it would be. Very, very thin and light, going to be no problem holding with one hand for extended periods (I do it with my pinkie underneath, usually); the forward/back buttons are perfectly placed. The leather case feels very nice, I got brown. Very classy. Other than that, standard Kindle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Velius posted:

Do any of the Oasis or Voyage do actual textbooks or journal articles well? I imagine no, but it would be nice to be able to read on a non PC since I don't really like reading on an iPad and my best time is at night when having a non-led screen would be great.

Depends on the layout of the textbook or journal article. The Voyage/Oasis/Latest Paperwhite screen does make even poorly formatted ones better to use though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mozi posted:

My Oasis arrived today. It's pretty much exactly what they said it would be. Very, very thin and light, going to be no problem holding with one hand for extended periods (I do it with my pinkie underneath, usually); the forward/back buttons are perfectly placed. The leather case feels very nice, I got brown. Very classy. Other than that, standard Kindle.

How is ember?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Ordered an Oasis from best buy. Delivery date is May 4th and they should be in stores that same day according to their site. Better than the June date amazon quoted so if you want one sooner that may be your best bet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nondescript Van posted:

Ordered an Oasis from best buy. Delivery date is May 4th and they should be in stores that same day according to their site. Better than the June date amazon quoted so if you want one sooner that may be your best bet.

It's a trap.

No seriously, I went through no fewer than 5 orders with Best Buy when I was trying to get a Kindle Voyage during the period in which Amazon was sold out. Order placed, date would pass that it said it would ship, order auto cancelled because they don't know when it's coming. Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

The dates on the site mean jack poo poo. I've been looking at some cameras on Best Buy's site that have been arriving in stores since late Feb. Every few days, the date pushes back.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Kaddish posted:

How is ember?

I'm not a font expert but it seems fine, fits a lot of letters in not much space and it's pretty readable. I think I still prefer Bookerly though, but I might just be used to that.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's a trap.

No seriously, I went through no fewer than 5 orders with Best Buy when I was trying to get a Kindle Voyage during the period in which Amazon was sold out. Order placed, date would pass that it said it would ship, order auto cancelled because they don't know when it's coming. Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

The dates on the site mean jack poo poo. I've been looking at some cameras on Best Buy's site that have been arriving in stores since late Feb. Every few days, the date pushes back.

:(

I guess I'll find out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
After using the Oasis for about five hours yesterday, I don't regret the purchase at all; when you add up the features online and compare to the price it seems expensive, but when I actually use it it's just... so, so good. It's a joy to use, the design is perfect. It feels like a luxury item. The battery/spine is perfectly placed and the reader is balanced so well it's effortless to hold one-handed for an indefinite time. I mentioned before I held with it resting on my pinkie underneath but that's not necessary anymore; it's so light you could hold it on one finger without effort if you wanted. It's still basically doing the same thing as my old Paperwhite but I don't regret paying the price in the slightest.

vvv Sure, I'll do that this evening.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mozi posted:

I'm not a font expert but it seems fine, fits a lot of letters in not much space and it's pretty readable. I think I still prefer Bookerly though, but I might just be used to that.

Can you take a screenshot with it in use? It should be the same as other touchscreen kindles - tap the bottom left and top right corners, or top left and bottom right corners, simultaneously. Then the screen should refresh and you should get a PNG file on the top level of the Kindle's file system when you plug it in by USB.

Especially if you can do a sample with it set to smallest text size and narrowest margins/spacing, with Bookerly or Caecillia Condensed same settings as a comparison.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mozi posted:

After using the Oasis for about five hours yesterday, I don't regret the purchase at all; when you add up the features online and compare to the price it seems expensive, but when I actually use it it's just... so, so good. It's a joy to use, the design is perfect. It feels like a luxury item. The battery/spine is perfectly placed and the reader is balanced so well it's effortless to hold one-handed for an indefinite time. I mentioned before I held with it resting on my pinkie underneath but that's not necessary anymore; it's so light you could hold it on one finger without effort if you wanted. It's still basically doing the same thing as my old Paperwhite but I don't regret paying the price in the slightest.

vvv Sure, I'll do that this evening.

How does your screen look? I'm reading about some uniformity issues, same as when the Voyage came out. It's one of the main reasons I waited for the Oasis.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Can you take a screenshot with it in use? It should be the same as other touchscreen kindles - tap the bottom left and top right corners, or top left and bottom right corners, simultaneously. Then the screen should refresh and you should get a PNG file on the top level of the Kindle's file system when you plug it in by USB.

Especially if you can do a sample with it set to smallest text size and narrowest margins/spacing, with Bookerly or Caecillia Condensed same settings as a comparison.

Bookerly:

Caecillia Condensed:

Ember:

With my normal font, spacing and margin settings (I'm too lazy to move my eyes horizontally):
Bookerly:

Ember:

Kaddish posted:

How does your screen look? I'm reading about some uniformity issues, same as when the Voyage came out. It's one of the main reasons I waited for the Oasis.

Don't have that issue with mine, thankfully.

Edit: I just had an update pushed that added two new fonts:
Futura:

Open Dyslexic:

It also added a landscape mode option.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 28, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Thanks for that, Ember looks really nice.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks for that as well, I'm gonna stick with bookerly.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Update on the best buy order I placed yesterday: it's already shipped and in transit. Looks like they aren't liars this time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ember looks great. Open Dyslexic? That's a new one...I'm not Dyslexic, but I sure hope Amazon pushes these new fonts to the Voyage and doesn't hold them hostage to buying a new device to get them. I guess they will eventually make their way to older models once they sell a lot of Oasis units...

Or I can see some Dyslexia awareness group getting all pissy about Amazon limiting that font to the new model only.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Open Dyslexic was on my old Kobo a couple years ago. Shouldn't be much keeping the big A from backpushing that to their older readers.

Ember looks great, though I'm pretty happy with Bookerly on my baseline jailbusted Kindle.

edit: it's also a free font: http://opendyslexic.org/

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I could be wrong and I don't have my PW on me to check, but I'm reasonably sure Open Dyslexic is already available on all the current generation models at least.

e: Looks like it. http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/02/02/kindle-update-v5-7-2-adds-open-dyslexic-font-new-home-page-screenshots/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Must not changed my fonts on my old Kindle from some time, I guess. Good to hear it's already around. Oasis still great on second day.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

chippy posted:

I could be wrong and I don't have my PW on me to check, but I'm reasonably sure Open Dyslexic is already available on all the current generation models at least.

e: Looks like it. http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/02/02/kindle-update-v5-7-2-adds-open-dyslexic-font-new-home-page-screenshots/

drat, you are right...I didn't even look at my Voyage. Derp.

Need Ember though. Looks nice. Maybe it will happen, eventually after they sell a lot of Oasis models, I suppose.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Just got my Oasis and goddamn this thing is light. The balance of it makes it seem like almost nothing.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Got mine yesterday as well. The screen is perfect though I do see the light cones in a dim room and reasonably high light setting.

This is absolutely the nicest e-reader I've seen but if I hadn't lost my PW I don't think I would upgrade. Definitely wouldn't if I already had a Voyage. Also, not a huge fan of Ember and will be sticking with bookerly for now.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Got mine today. This is just a beauty to hold and read on; it's tiny and lightweight and feels great, and being able to just flip it over to read with the other hand is super slick. It was expensive, but I'm super glad I upgraded. I find myself taking off the cover when I'm reading, though - but the cover is really simple to take on and off, unlike the official paperwhite case.

I'm actually really liking the Ember font! It's easy on my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Whelp, after 6 years of service, a storage upgrade, and a replacement battery I can say that my first gen nook is now completely dead.