Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apparently there's a whole committee of the Lege for property tax reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It looks like a modestly sized tiger (at present :ohdear:) and I would totally believe that as below it may have been treated like any other cat.

It looks like it only comes up to the top of a pickup tire. It won't take your head off if it gets playful, and its odds of severing an artery if it kneads its paws on your leg are probably only about 5%. :3:

(The bad scenario is if it was abused or neglected, but the leash is a good sign)

I probably would have talked to it from the car, and may conceivably have gotten out if it seemed like a nice kitty.

Edit: I am glad it was a very nice kitty, although I am also okay with the owner being prosecuted if he hosed up anything at any point. Sounds like it would be a great zoo kitty if necessary!

quote:

The cat’s front claws had been removed.

Welp, time for some vigilante justice.

http://www.pawproject.org/legislation/pdfs/USDAdeclaw.pdf

Svanja posted:

Oh my goodness, that guy was a complete idiot!

As long as you don't turn your back on a socialized tiger you should be safe.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 28, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Apparently there's a whole committee of the Lege for property tax reduction.

It's a special Lt. Gov commissioned interim only travelling road show so that next year they can talk about all the thousands of people that attended to complain about their property taxes being too high. The guy running it is a former Harris Co tax assessor and he won Patrick's old seat, they're big time buds.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

It's a special Lt. Gov commissioned interim only travelling road show so that next year they can talk about all the thousands of people that attended to complain about their property taxes being too high. The guy running it is a former Harris Co tax assessor and he won Patrick's old seat, they're big time buds.

I'm glad they're also considering new methods of raising revenue to cover the cost of property tax reductions :angel:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm glad they're also considering new methods of raising revenue to cover the cost of property tax reductions :angel:

There's no need, because the state budget is rife with waste and abuse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the plot thickens

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/police-man-in-black-tried-to-steal-conroe-tiger/156120856

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

That happened yesterday morning?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I'm putting my money on animal activist given the Tiger was declawed, and it appeared the "thief" made no attempt to tranquilize the animal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dawnna Dukes is fuuuucked

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I hope her spokesman is better at lobbying than he is at making BBQ.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Reik posted:

I'm putting my money on animal activist given the Tiger was declawed, and it appeared the "thief" made no attempt to tranquilize the animal.

In all fairness, it could be these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1zAkGE5HE

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

"Friend Tiger" I said gazing directly into the tigers eyes.

Friend Jon, came the response- not spoken, but...licked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mmmm feels good to vote against uber.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Lote posted:

"Friend Tiger" I said gazing directly into the tigers eyes.

Friend Jon, came the response- not spoken, but...licked.

:golfclap:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Mmmm feels good to vote against uber.

NO has been getting a ton of press and ad-time, almost as much as YES. I'm...hopeful? It's a tiny bye-election and for once I guarantee you the Old West Austin bluehairs that always vote are on our side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

NO has been getting a ton of press and ad-time, almost as much as YES. I'm...hopeful? It's a tiny bye-election and for once I guarantee you the Old West Austin bluehairs that always vote are on our side.

Well since no's are voting due to ideological or pricipled objections and yesses are voting due to it being an app they like, I think the nos are gonna be more motivated to turn out I HOPE.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
It seems like broad public opinion is starting to turn, all the reddit threads are more evenly split now than they have been in the past, where they had been so vehemently pro-uber it legitimately looked like an astroturfing operation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bushiz posted:

It seems like broad public opinion is starting to turn, all the reddit threads are more evenly split now than they have been in the past, where they had been so vehemently pro-uber it legitimately looked like an astroturfing operation.

It's difficult to categorize it as astroturfing. There's a scary amount of people who genuinely loooove Uber.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Well since no's are voting due to ideological or pricipled objections and yesses are voting due to it being an app they like, I think the nos are gonna be more motivated to turn out I HOPE.

I'm just reading the demographics. All my friends are most likely pro-prop 1, but all my friends are also the kind of people (affluent early 30's techies) that will never, ever vote in a non-general election.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Though the range of people I see talking about voting NO is pretty diverse. Everything from west-side public worker retirees who follow Steve Adler to Chicano east-side artists who follow Greg Casar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

I'm just reading the demographics. All my friends are most likely pro-prop 1, but all my friends are also the kind of people (affluent early 30's techies) that will never, ever vote in a non-general election.

Yeah turnout is going to be microscopic, which I'm sure is what Uber is counting on.

Hopefully the NO people do a good job of publicizing the fact that Uber is now being real weak about their pledge to pull out of Houston if they didn't change their ordinance. Houston told them to pound sand and Uber were like "now hang on a minute". Leaving one of if not the top tech SV-lite cities in the country would be a huge blow to them, imo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That Houston prank was some weak-rear end poo poo, they can't have thought that through very well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Now it is being alleged that the motorcycle fatality a few days ago was caused by a Lyft driver stopped in a travel lane to pickup/dropoff passengers. An explicit ban on that is one of the regulations the Uber/Lyft referendum looks to overturn.

It seems like just about every major local political group (with the notable exception of SoS) has come out against it. Those groups can normally get their way in small elections so it will be interesting to see what happens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bwear/status/726163025166766082

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

We're officially past Not Worth The Money, it's just a tantrum at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is this how Uber spends all it's money? Because I keep hearing they don't turn a profit, and that's just loving baffling.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jesus that's insane for a city election.

Nearly a million in in-kind donations too. And Lyft just sent out a notification telling me to be sure to vote.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Is this how Uber spends all it's money? Because I keep hearing they don't turn a profit, and that's just loving baffling.
Lack of profit alone is not such a big deal. They don't need it (at the moment) because the business is subsidized with VC funding. And that allows them to charge less than traditional taxi companies, which consumers love, not to mention they dodge regulation.

The catch is that Uber has also spent *a lot* of money on litigation, administration and marketing, which has allowed it to expand rapidly and recruit lots and lots of drivers. They're in a weird place right now because many drivers have been on the road for several years and are starting to see wear and tear on their cars (whoops, Uber didn't tell you about that), and perhaps some supply-and-demand mismatches where you have too many drivers and not enough money circulating for them to make a living.

Whatever happens in Austin (I expect voters to choose NO), Uber is really trying to delay the inevitable I think. The company loves the free market, but that's the thing -- this kind of enormous growth is not sustainable. But they'll likely still be around and profitable in a few years, just with fewer drivers and rates more similar to the Yellow Cabs they were "disrupting."

I like Uber/Lyft as services, but the :qq: they're doing is such a scam I don't mind if Austin throws the book at them.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 30, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The KUT article includes this golden quote:

quote:

It brings the pro-Prop 1 campaign’s total contributions from Uber and Lyft to around $8 million since the beginning of the year. The PAC has not taken any donations from other sources.

Per the disclosure forms a significant amount (~$400-500k) of the in-kind donations were for "campaign consulting" and "consultant fees for campaign support". That's goddamn shameless astroturfing.

And of course posting that article on Reddit gets instantly downvoted.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do the free rides to the polls count as in kind donations or what?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I like one of the tweeted responses about how it would have been cheaper to just fingerprint everyone and be done with it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

That's more than was spent on the Houston Mayoral election.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

No campaign texts from Uber, about a dozen from Lyft.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

citybeatnik posted:

I like one of the tweeted responses about how it would have been cheaper to just fingerprint everyone and be done with it.

I think it's about more than the fingerprinting. I think they are trying to avoid drivers being seen as employees.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Do the free rides to the polls count as in kind donations or what?

Especially if the Lyft/Uber guy is lobbying you the whole way to the polls, I dont see how that doesn't violates some election statute somewhere.

Also I just got power back from the storm last night, what the hell.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 30, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Why isn't Barq's our state beverage?

I know what you're gonna say, "Uh it's made in Biluxi, Mississippi you dumb idiot!"

Then gently caress it, let's invade Mississippi and take it from them.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
We already have Shiner for a state drink, get the gently caress outta here

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:barf:

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

It managed to sneak in 15 years ago when it was still halfway decent. Been coasting on name for the last 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
State beverage is Shiner and/or Dr Pepper.