Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This'll be scrapped as soon as someone tries to use it to fund a bike lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Not even, it'll be the same theory as the proposed Innovation Fund they were going to funnel medicare into - the money will sit there until someone forgets about it to be trussed up as Budget Savings, or failing that they'll trickle it out to private company mates.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Voters won't be tricked by a Innovation Fund, right? It just seems like an attempt to appear to be doing something while doing nothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, this has been quietly floated for months.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's funny is that there keep being rumours that 30 year infrastructure bonds will be a big part of the budget.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The people hate us. Maybe if we do the opposite of what we are currently doing they will like us again???

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm the infrastructure prime minister - Tony "toned abs" Abbott

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Negligent posted:

I'm the infrastructure prime minister - Tony "toned abs" Abbott

Chris Bowen trimmed his beard and it looks worse now

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

No-one not on Whirlpool cares enough about the NBN for it to change their vote. It's not a serious election issue.

It's the constant flailing about on economic policy, and picking negative gearing of all things to take a stand on, that's killing Turnbull to the point that even the Murdoch press can't save him.

Ket posted:

I don't think that's true at all, ladies at my work, even the ones 40+ are starting to realise the limits of bad internet and are getting really shirty at bad upload speeds.

Edit: not to say that women wouldn't complain about technological stuff, it's just my department is like 85% women and these aren't technologically proficient people at all, but they're just who I hear talking about this.

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Put it this way: the NBN is way down the list of issues Labor will campaign on. It adds to the general impression of the incompetence of the Liberals, but it doesn't rate compared to their repeated attacks on health, education, the environment and the poor while supporting tax breaks for the wealthy.

Gutting the NBN is about the only campaign promise the Liberals have delivered on.
I know it's old but:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-09/vote-compass-data-results-important-issues/4872896'

So while you are right the electorate has (bizarrely) fixated on economic performance1.

"It's the economy stupid!"

I don't think the NBN is quite the non-starter you consider it to be. As others have pointed out it is completely seen as Turdball's responsibility and the ongoing cost increases and connection time blow outs really clash with his chosen mantras of agile and innovative. It is clearly neither. What's more it is happening right now in people's homes. The people who are 'casual' National voters in the local electorate have become increasingly peeved by the utter lack of anything for them from their traditional team. The NBN was something they asked their (National) representatives to ensure wasn't hosed over for rural people. Well after all the noise and all the wait people have been connected to a thing that goes by the name of NBN but has often proven to be worse than their old ADSL connections. That makes people angry. Angry people look to hurt the ones they see as responsible.

I specifically noted where defence and IR fell on that snap shot graph because it really can't be good to be preaching austerity when between the JSF and the Subs they have committed well over the current deficit in defence expenditure. That can not play well against the item at the top. The whole ABCC issue isn't really on any Australian's radar and neither should it be. I was genuinely surprised the economy got such a high place because traditionally (Nineties at least) it went:

1/ Environment.(Now climate change apparently).
2/ Health.
3/ Education.

In some kind of relative order, followed by day light. The apparent change makes news corpse's grip on the political discourse in the Howard years truly frightening. Especially as his administration were the biggest economic vandals in living memory. Funny old world.

-/-

The bash a dole bludger thing isn't off the front pages though, so some-one thinks it has legs. It was pointed out that the clusters of people using such measures may be a result of their socio-economic profiles and that full employment was anathema to the current capitalist model but I think you can push the blame straight onto the free market. Why are there socio-economic ghettos with high unemployment? Well what industries does Lethbridge Park2. have? It's pretty centrally located in Sydney and close to a rail corridor so unless these residents are congenitally lazy then it must be due to socio-economic disadvantage. If the genetics are considered a factor then clearly we have poor stock in SA and Tasmania? :doh:

Why are these suburbs developed in the first place? I'd claim that it is dodgy developers bribing corrupt councils to line their pockets without any regard to infrastructure or demographic needs. This is just the result of the unrestrained hand of the free market. What is being done to fix this obvious, long standing and endemic problem? :roflolmao:

1. The amount of noise that the NTATA cheer squad made about debt and deficit may be what sinks them but the poor economic performance of the left is a complete fiction in any case.

2. http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2014/10/29/australias-jobless-hotspots-suburb-rank/

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kind of interesting looking at the abc graph under different splits. Interesting but predictable.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-29/modern-day-mutiny-as-norfolk-islanders-fight-australian-takeover/7369434
Protesters against the Australian Government's decision to take control of Norfolk Island are occupying the grounds of the former legislative assembly and refusing to leave.

Key points:
  • Commonwealth will assume full control of Norfolk Island on July 1
  • Protesters occupy the former Legislative Assembly
  • Demands for the removal of the island's Australian Government-appointed Administrator[/b]
They are angry that the Commonwealth will assume full control of the small external territory on July 1 this year.

It is the 227th anniversary of the Mutiny on the Bounty, and many among the protesters are direct descendants of mutiny leaders.

The mutinous behaviour has gone as far as calling for the removal of the island's Australian Government-appointed Administrator.

There have also been reports of death threats, sabotage and victimisation of locals perceived to be doing the bidding of mainland authorities.

"Today on Norfolk Island our culture is under threat," John Christian said, a direct descendant of the mutiny ringleader Fletcher Christian.

On the grounds of the island's former legislative assembly, the group are protesting by occupying the space.

For 36 years the legislative assembly, which was shut down last year by the Australian Parliament, was the centre of the island's self-government, and occupying it was a spontaneous act of civil disobedience.

The protest was directed against Gary Hardgrave, a former federal Liberal MP, who has been appointed by the Australian Government to act as the island's administrator during the transition period.

Mr Hardgrave riled the large gathering of islanders by refusing to issue a licence for a protest to be held on ground that they say they consider to be theirs.

The protest went ahead regardless.

The protest meeting culminated with a modern-day act of mutiny, with a resolution to deliver a letter of no-confidence to Mr Hardgrave, urging him to get off the island and return to mainland Australia.

"We are providing you with a final opportunity to do the right thing by voluntarily departing," said Andre Nobbs, the protest organiser from Norfolk Island People for Democracy.

Mr Hardgrave has so far been unavailable for interview about the calls for his removal and the deepening tensions on the island he administers on behalf of Australian taxpayers.

Norfolk Islanders in favour of integration with the mainland have watched on with growing apprehension as the debate over the island's future has at times become increasingly ugly.

But few have been prepared to comment publicly.

Local hotel owner Mike King said he accepts there is a lot of anger amongst Norfolk Islanders against the change, but the level of uncontrolled anger concerns him.

"I respect everyone's right to be heard and to protest, but I implore people to properly inform themselves to the background of the whole issue before they do protest," Mr King said.

"Divisions have occurred in all level of societies on the island and it's very real, it's very palpable.

"It's hurting, there are friendships which have been impacted, which I'm sure will never recover from this — not in my lifetime anyway.

"But we can only do the best we can do to heal that."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
No taxes! Representation!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The NBN would be a bigger issue if it hadnt already been totally hosed by LNP/Mal-comms minister turnbull. Everyone is in not-mad-just-disappointed dad mode now and hasnt got the energy to give a poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Turnbull rejects New Zealand offer to take 150 refugees from detention
The prime minister says settlement in New Zealand would be used by people smugglers as a ‘marketing opportunity’

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

If Australia is not responsible for Asylum Seekers on Manus why are they able to veto any offers to take them 🤔

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

"Psst! Hey I heard that if you're lucky enough and can stand being tortured for years at a time that the supreme court of the country you're staying in might declare your imprisonment illegal and you'll get to settle in New Zealand. Get in quick, this loophole may only last as long as pacific island nations have internal problems with income inequality in part due to the higher wages local guards are paid at the centres creating resentment within the community."

Catchy marketing tool.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The argument was that if people are settled in NZ they will gain the right to live in Australia, which is kind of arrogant when you think about it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The argument was that if people are settled in NZ they will gain the right to live in Australia, which is kind of arrogant when you think about it.

And completely undermines their crocodile tears about deaths at sea.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ehh, they'd just say that people smuggling means deaths at sea, so if you give the people smugglers something to use for marketing then more deaths at sea will occur.

I do wonder how they can refuse New Zealand's offer to settle them though? I guess they just refused to cooperate and New Zealand isn't interested in granting them asylum unilaterally.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Turnbull is now Jim from Utopia in my mind.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

asio posted:

Chris Bowen trimmed his beard and it looks worse now

It looks like poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Tampa people went to New Zealand. :gbsmith:

They probably say fush and chups now.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

MiniSune posted:

“I had received numerous letters from constituents in my electorate about a program that was screened on the ABC in which a number of transsexuals came on stage wearing G-strings which had chocolate penises attached to the end of them. Another group of transvestites came on state and started to eat the chocolate penises. I cannot tell you the revulsion that I felt after reading these letters.”

Without context this sounds loving hilarious. Like some half-remembered conservative's bad dream.

"...and then the transvestites grew wings and chased me and cursed Jesus. And then one of the chocolate penises tried to bite me."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

I do wonder how they can refuse New Zealand's offer to settle them though? I guess they just refused to cooperate and New Zealand isn't interested in granting them asylum unilaterally.

It's because NZ is a developed country and asylum seekers should not be allowed to settle in a developed country.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's why they don't want them to go there sure, the question was more about how they can be detained without charge. If they were stateless and didn't have the right to live in any other country you might be able to argue that there's no other option, but that would fall apart if NZ gave them residency.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

They can be detained without charge because Australia is full of racists.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The thing I like most about Australia is how accepting and open people are towards other cultures

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If it's easy enough for people smugglers to trick Asylum seekers into thinking that the resettlement of Manus Island detainees in New Zealand opens up a pathway for them to also get New Zealand residency then it's easy enough for them to trick them even if we don't resettle the Manus Island detainees.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Before news of the man's death broke on Friday, Mr Dutton said Nauru, a remote location where his government has forcibly detained refugees and asylum seekers, was "4500 kilometres from Australia, it is not as if we're heading out to Bondi or Beenleigh to try and pick up somebody ... it is a long distance involved."

Maybe...maybe don't lock people up in your care 4500 kilometers away from Australian hospitals if you don't have an emergency evac plan for critical circumstances?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Maybe don't set fire to yourself if you're 4500 km from a good burns unit

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

itt a three year old questions the motivation behind self harm for a rational actor

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

There are no rational actors it is a myth perpetuated by economists

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Negligent posted:

There are no rational actors it is a myth perpetuated by economists

and yet here you are, using its premise to question why a person would light themselves on fire

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Who's the more hosed up? The Three Year old or the person arguing with the Three Year old?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Cartoon posted:

Who's the more hosed up? The Three Year old or the person arguing with the Three Year old?

It's not a rational decision, it is a manifestation of the trauma inflicted by reading this thread

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

He was probably coached to self harm by refugee " advocates "

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's not a rational decision, it is a manifestation of the trauma inflicted by reading this thread
Touche.

As good a time as any to ask who is perpetrating the next and hopefully final abomination of a thread.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Touche.

As good a time as any to ask who is perpetrating the next and hopefully final abomination of a thread.

doc spaceman called it a while ago iirc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

doc spaceman called it a while ago iirc

Yeah, still happy to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For May Auspol can The Arts Party get a shoutout in the OP.

They're currently running a pozible campaign ending 11 May for just $35,000 http://www.pozible.com/project/204920 to pay for AEC registrations and campaign funds, which is basically nothing in election terms. (Disclosure I'm a lay member, but not one of the organisers).

• Locked thread