Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
First time ordering mats... These mats have an opening "size is 7.5"x11.5" for 8x12 print." I'm ordering 8"x12" prints from Nations Photo Lab. If I add a border of 0.25", I'll end up with a print that fits exactly inside the mat, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

huhu posted:

First time ordering mats... These mats have an opening "size is 7.5"x11.5" for 8x12 print." I'm ordering 8"x12" prints from Nations Photo Lab. If I add a border of 0.25", I'll end up with a print that fits exactly inside the mat, correct?

Yes, but don't do that.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yes, but don't do that.

Solid Answer... why should I not do that?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

huhu posted:

Solid Answer... why should I not do that?

I can almost guarantee you will end up with a lovely looking white strip on at least one side, or barring that, in your 5000000 attempts to make it line up exactly perfectly you will just ruin something

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'll be safe with an 1/8th of an inch though?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

huhu posted:

I'll be safe with an 1/8th of an inch though?

Maybe. But a 1/4" border on each side of an 8x12" piece of paper doesn't give you an 1/8" overlap with a mat that has a 7.5x11.5" opening.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Maybe. But a 1/4" border on each side of an 8x12" piece of paper doesn't give you an 1/8" overlap with a mat that has a 7.5x11.5" opening.

Huh? that's why I said should I use 1/8th inch instead. 1/8th inch would give me an 1/8th inch overlap.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

huhu posted:

Huh? that's why I said should I use 1/8th inch instead. 1/8th inch would give me an 1/8th inch overlap.

Yeah, the way you wrote it made it sound like you thought you'd be getting a 1/8" overlap. 1/8" overlap on each edge should be fine for a small-ish print.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason this seller on ebay has the Nikon D3300 + accessories for so much cheaper than anywhere else? Amazon sellers are ~$50 more expensive and don't include any accessories. Just want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing here before purchasing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D3300...F0AAOSwstxVZNYi

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

hot sauce posted:

Is there any reason this seller on ebay has the Nikon D3300 + accessories for so much cheaper than anywhere else? Amazon sellers are ~$50 more expensive and don't include any accessories. Just want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing here before purchasing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D3300...F0AAOSwstxVZNYi

It's gray market. Don't buy Nikon gray market , unlike Canon, Nikon USA will not repair it -at all-. Not just "won't honor warranty" - they won't touch it, even if you pay, and they don't sell parts to third party repair shops so nobody can do anything with it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

timrenzi574 posted:

It's gray market. Don't buy Nikon gray market , unlike Canon, Nikon USA will not repair it -at all-. Not just "won't honor warranty" - they won't touch it, even if you pay, and they don't sell parts to third party repair shops so nobody can do anything with it.

Thanks, I figured there might be a reason like this. In the future, how can I tell if it's legit or not besides a lower price?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Legit ones usually aren't bundled with 100 bottom-of-the-barrel chinese accessories, but the biggest red flag is the line "General Brand items and may not be retail packed". Grey market stuff usually never comes in the regular retail packaging.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Also says "Version: Import" on the specs

Sellers will usually say it has a "1 year seller warranty" , which also means gray market - they will warranty it for a year because the manufacturer won't touch it in the US. (They'll take it, ship it back to whatever asian country it originally came from for repair, then back to you, and it will take a month and a half)

Edit: If you're looking for a bargain, cruise the manufacturer refurb stores. I'm not sure about Nikon's refurb warranty, but Canon offers a 1 year (same as new) and has constant sales. You just need to keep a lookout for what you want to come available.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If your camera breaks after a year aren't you in the same position whether you bought American or Grey Market?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If your camera breaks after a year aren't you in the same position whether you bought American or Grey Market?
I believe I read on message boards that Nikon won't service a grey market item regardless of warranty status. As in, you can't pay them to fix it. You'd have to go to a third-party repair service.

Hopefully someone tells me that I'm full of poo poo since that sounds like a lame policy.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe I read on message boards that Nikon won't service a grey market item regardless of warranty status. As in, you can't pay them to fix it. You'd have to go to a third-party repair service.

Hopefully someone tells me that I'm full of poo poo since that sounds like a lame policy.

For grey market you would hope the seller is still in business and actually does the offered work. I have seen UK based grey market sellers offer 3 year warranties (e.g. here).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
General advice when buying second hand cameras on ebay; (I only know nikon figures) D3XXX series has a real world average shutter life of 18,5k D5XXX series is 20-50k, semi-pro and pro is 150k. Always check to see what the shutter count is in the description, if there isn't one then ask the seller to check on https://www.camerashuttercount.com/ via PM. If they refuse then it's knackered already, if they do then check yourself when the camera arrives and if they have lied you can open a claim with ebay and they will side with you because of the bullshit PM. I've not heard of any of the big second hand sellers try to pull this stunt so it's generally safer to pay the little bit extra over private sellers.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

learnincurve posted:

General advice when buying second hand cameras on ebay; (I only know nikon figures) D3XXX series has a real world average shutter life of 18,5k D5XXX series is 20-50k, semi-pro and pro is 150k. Always check to see what the shutter count is in the description, if there isn't one then ask the seller to check on https://www.camerashuttercount.com/ via PM. If they refuse then it's knackered already, if they do then check yourself when the camera arrives and if they have lied you can open a claim with ebay and they will side with you because of the bullshit PM. I've not heard of any of the big second hand sellers try to pull this stunt so it's generally safer to pay the little bit extra over private sellers.

Does Nikon fix this under warranty? I'm guessing my half year old D5300 is already around 30k.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're not. Nikon USA won't touch grey market money or not. Tamron USA has the same policy.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I just dropped my 24-70 f4l onto the floor from about 30cm up and there's a small flat spot on the zoom ring where it dropped, it was in lock mode at 24mm when it fell and after mounting it on my camera it seems to still work and autofocus fine, but the zoom ring moves a little tighter than it did i'd still like to fix it if possible. Any expectations on how much it would cost and/or if its ever going to be the same? I am a little freaked out :(

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Hambilderberglar posted:

I just dropped my 24-70 f4l onto the floor from about 30cm up and there's a small flat spot on the zoom ring where it dropped, it was in lock mode at 24mm when it fell and after mounting it on my camera it seems to still work and autofocus fine, but the zoom ring moves a little tighter than it did i'd still like to fix it if possible. Any expectations on how much it would cost and/or if its ever going to be the same? I am a little freaked out :(

I think Canon operates on a Standard vs Major labor rate, with standard at $219 for bodies and $259 for lenses, and Major at $359 for lenses (so probably $319 for bodies).

Then, there are parts. I don't mean to scare you with this image, but this is what happened when I dropped a 24-70 2.8 (v1) off a table attached to my camera. The first is the preliminary estimate before they opened it up:

and then they sent a revised bill a day later after opening it up and finding more damage.

I'd imagine with yours it'll probably be a standard labor charge (so $219) and something like $20 in parts like the first one, and hopefully not 300 goddamned dollars in parts.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

What's the best price:quality ratio 35mm SLR I should get with a lens? Wanna try some sweet rear end double exposures on an upcoming trip but also I don't really want to spend that much money.
Most 35mm SLRs do have some mechanism to prevent accidental double-exposures, yes, but most also have a way to override that. My Minolta X-700 will cock the shutter but not advance the film if I push the button on the bottom that normally releases the film for rewinding at the end of a roll. Push the button, crank the film advance, release the button, compose-focus-shoot and I get a double exposure. I haven't tested it, but I think my collection of old Pentax bodies (MX, ME Super, can't remember right now what else I've got) have the same function and it works the same way.

If you just want to gently caress around with film and old-school SLRs go for an "orphan" mount, like Minolta MD, Konica AR, Canon FD, or Contax/Yashica (usually discussed as "C/Y" when talking about lenses). Lenses in those mounts are usually cheaper than for mounts compatible with modern DSLRs, such as Pentax K and Nikon (AI I think, I don't know much about Nikon). Any mid-grade SLR that has survived in working condition to the current day is going to be capable of giving you reasonably good photographs. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's in good working condition though, because the battery (that often is necessary only for the light meter) is some combination of rare / discontinued / expensive / corroded to hell. Fortunately, a comfortable majority of 70's and 80's SLRs ran their light meters with CR2 batteries, which are widely available (for expensive in bricks-and-mortar, or cheap from The Internet / China).

Prices for cameras can vary considerably, mostly driven by the delusions of the seller. "I paid $400 for this in 1989, it must be worth at least that much today!" is distressingly common. Pawn shops tend to overprice stuff (in my experience), but Kijiji / Gumtree / Craigslist usually has a decent selection. I've picked up fully-functional (except for a battery) manual-focus SLRs for around $40-60 that come with one OK lens, or around $100-120 for something more interesting - comes with a nice case, or a set of decent lenses (good luck finding a truly GOOD lens on a deal like this, but good nifty-fifty plus a 70-210 2.8-4.0 is a reasonable possibility). Similar prices rule for many autofocus 35mm SLRs, too, I bought an entry-level Pentax, manufacturerd circa 1995, a couple of years ago for $60 mainly because the seller had hilariously misnamed the film that came with it.

Love my Zodak film.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Most 35mm SLRs do have some mechanism to prevent accidental double-exposures, yes, but most also have a way to override that. My Minolta X-700 will cock the shutter but not advance the film if I push the button on the bottom that normally releases the film for rewinding at the end of a roll. Push the button, crank the film advance, release the button, compose-focus-shoot and I get a double exposure. I haven't tested it, but I think my collection of old Pentax bodies (MX, ME Super, can't remember right now what else I've got) have the same function and it works the same way.

If you just want to gently caress around with film and old-school SLRs go for an "orphan" mount, like Minolta MD, Konica AR, Canon FD, or Contax/Yashica (usually discussed as "C/Y" when talking about lenses). Lenses in those mounts are usually cheaper than for mounts compatible with modern DSLRs, such as Pentax K and Nikon (AI I think, I don't know much about Nikon). Any mid-grade SLR that has survived in working condition to the current day is going to be capable of giving you reasonably good photographs. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's in good working condition though, because the battery (that often is necessary only for the light meter) is some combination of rare / discontinued / expensive / corroded to hell. Fortunately, a comfortable majority of 70's and 80's SLRs ran their light meters with CR2 batteries, which are widely available (for expensive in bricks-and-mortar, or cheap from The Internet / China).

Prices for cameras can vary considerably, mostly driven by the delusions of the seller. "I paid $400 for this in 1989, it must be worth at least that much today!" is distressingly common. Pawn shops tend to overprice stuff (in my experience), but Kijiji / Gumtree / Craigslist usually has a decent selection. I've picked up fully-functional (except for a battery) manual-focus SLRs for around $40-60 that come with one OK lens, or around $100-120 for something more interesting - comes with a nice case, or a set of decent lenses (good luck finding a truly GOOD lens on a deal like this, but good nifty-fifty plus a 70-210 2.8-4.0 is a reasonable possibility). Similar prices rule for many autofocus 35mm SLRs, too, I bought an entry-level Pentax, manufacturerd circa 1995, a couple of years ago for $60 mainly because the seller had hilariously misnamed the film that came with it.

Love my Zodak film.

Nice, awesome, thank you so much for this post!

My mom definitely falls into the group of "I paid $1500 for this camera in 1976 so it's worth that now because it's an antique" category, and I don't have the heart to break it to her that I looked her model up on ebay a couple years ago and they're like $200 USD now, so if I took hers and anything happened to it she'd be pretty pissed, which is too bad because it'd be perfect.

I'll definitely check out craigslist and kijiji :)

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

dakana posted:

I think Canon operates on a Standard vs Major labor rate, with standard at $219 for bodies and $259 for lenses, and Major at $359 for lenses (so probably $319 for bodies).

Then, there are parts. I don't mean to scare you with this image, but this is what happened when I dropped a 24-70 2.8 (v1) off a table attached to my camera. The first is the preliminary estimate before they opened it up:

and then they sent a revised bill a day later after opening it up and finding more damage.

I'd imagine with yours it'll probably be a standard labor charge (so $219) and something like $20 in parts like the first one, and hopefully not 300 goddamned dollars in parts.

Well that is sobering and helpful. Thanks for the information. I am not in the US so i will be calling Canon today and sending it in for repairs. I hope/assume that after repairs your lens once again was as good as new?

E: called the CPS repair shop in my country, starting at 180€ with the possibility to balloon to 300€ depending on what exactly got hosed. I can't tell if i am happy or sad about that number yet. Pricy fuckup to be sure :shobon:

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 29, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ika posted:

Does Nikon fix this under warranty? I'm guessing my half year old D5300 is already around 30k.

Short answer, yes they should do.

Non-serious answer, if you get the D750 then they will have to replace it every six months anyway (second recall rumoured) .

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

learnincurve posted:

Short answer, yes they should do.
Good.

learnincurve posted:

Non-serious answer, if you get the D750 then they will have to replace it every six months anyway (second recall rumoured) .

I've been trying to decide between D750 (since cheapest of the three and FD), D500 (Seems like a good fit for cheetahs), and D810 (more pixels => more fur detail), and I think I'll go with the D500. So no life time free replacements for me, unless its just as bad.

Then again nobody I know with a D750 has noticed any problems, even with the recalls.

E: actually, has anyone seen or heard of the D500 being available in Germany? I know the UK, Austria, and the Netherlands have had it for a few days and many stores are showing it as in stock, but no german store can tell me a delivery date.

Ika fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 29, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I am eagerly awaiting the Canon 600mm F4 DO announced at Canon Expo last september. Since then i haven't been able to find any more information. At the expo there was a working prototype of the lens, which is pretty unusual to my knowledge.

When'ish can we expect this lens to be announced as a product version? Would anything be speculation at this point, and it can be anywhere from 2 months to 5 years or is the fact that they had a working prototype they let the public use an indication that the lens is fairly well developed?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ika posted:

Good.

I've been trying to decide between D750 (since cheapest of the three and FD), D500 (Seems like a good fit for cheetahs), and D810 (more pixels => more fur detail), and I think I'll go with the D500. So no life time free replacements for me, unless its just as bad.

Then again nobody I know with a D750 has noticed any problems, even with the recalls.

E: actually, has anyone seen or heard of the D500 being available in Germany? I know the UK, Austria, and the Netherlands have had it for a few days and many stores are showing it as in stock, but no german store can tell me a delivery date.

I shoot a d750 and I love it. The only thing I would change about it is that the AF points are all in the middle of the frame so you can't move a focus point within the outer 1/3 of the frame basically.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

VelociBacon posted:

I shoot a d750 and I love it. The only thing I would change about it is that the AF points are all in the middle of the frame so you can't move a focus point within the outer 1/3 of the frame basically.

I had one for a day, that was quite irritating coming from a camera that could do that. I also ended up missing the reach, and I had initially hoped I wouldn't have to switch lenses for close up shots with it, but it still often was too much zoom at the low end.

I never had a chance to test autofocus on fast moving subjects in low light, how well does it do that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ika posted:

I had one for a day, that was quite irritating coming from a camera that could do that. I also ended up missing the reach, and I had initially hoped I wouldn't have to switch lenses for close up shots with it, but it still often was too much zoom at the low end.

I never had a chance to test autofocus on fast moving subjects in low light, how well does it do that?

The autofocus is pretty incredible on it, I haven't had a chance to test it in that specific scenario. One would assume the d500 has it beat in that regard.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Well that is sobering and helpful. Thanks for the information. I am not in the US so i will be calling Canon today and sending it in for repairs. I hope/assume that after repairs your lens once again was as good as new?

E: called the CPS repair shop in my country, starting at 180€ with the possibility to balloon to 300€ depending on what exactly got hosed. I can't tell if i am happy or sad about that number yet. Pricy fuckup to be sure :shobon:

It does suck =/ but definitely when you get it back it should be all fixed and good as new. Canon does a good job of cleaning, checking, and calibrating everything during the repair process.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How is Canon's lens cleaning? Was in Sedona last week and a couple of my lenses came out of it feeling a little sandy when turning zoom rings. One of them is a kit lens I still use so I'm debating whether it's even worth sending it, or just buying a new one (or even better, using the situation to justifying replacing it with an upgrade).

I made a token effort trying to figure it out on my own on their website, but navigating it is kind of lovely. No wait, it's very lovely.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

xzzy posted:

How is Canon's lens cleaning? Was in Sedona last week and a couple of my lenses came out of it feeling a little sandy when turning zoom rings. One of them is a kit lens I still use so I'm debating whether it's even worth sending it, or just buying a new one (or even better, using the situation to justifying replacing it with an upgrade).

I made a token effort trying to figure it out on my own on their website, but navigating it is kind of lovely. No wait, it's very lovely.

Their new website is -the worst-.

Generally I have nothing but good things to say about CUSA's service - fast turnaround and good work. I havent sent anything in specifically for cleaning, but they have cleaned everything I've sent in for repair and done a great job.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

This is basically impossible until they are able to put the AF on the sensor itself, or change the mount, unfortunately. There isn't enough room for the mirrors and optics they need to guid the light to the AF sensor. Although apparently they were able to squeeze a bit of an improvement into the D5 I think?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ShadeofBlue posted:

This is basically impossible until they are able to put the AF on the sensor itself, or change the mount, unfortunately. There isn't enough room for the mirrors and optics they need to guid the light to the AF sensor. Although apparently they were able to squeeze a bit of an improvement into the D5 I think?

You can go pretty far to the side L/R , but not U/D because of the submirror. If you made the mount flange distance like twice what it is you could go all the way up and down, but it would be a ridiculous looking camera

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

I'll definitely check out craigslist and kijiji :)

You're in Vancouver-area, right? I had a quick look last night as I was writing that post and found
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/vancouver/camera/1029695937?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
if you can stretch to ~$300 or talk the seller down (those slide trays are worthless)
and
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/burnaby-new-westminster/yashica-film-camera/1091295290?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
which is M42 mount (screw-mount, widely used up until the early-to-mid 1970's, e.g. Pentax Spotmatic; could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel about it) and apparently takes an expensive, hard-to-find battery.
and
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...gationFlag=true
which seems slightly overpriced, but not too badly.

and possibly the best option
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/delta-surrey-langley/canon-ae-1-35mm-slr-film-camera-vivitar-2800-auto-flash/1150910564
but I don't know if the AE-1 can do double-exposures. I'd look at mine but I sent it around the world :)

I bought a Minolta XG with 2 lenses (45mm f/2 quasi-pancake + random 3rd party 70-210 /4) and a sweet metal-briefcase type case for around $150 at a Salvation Army thrift store about 2 years ago. It was in their little auction section, where you write your bid on a piece of paper and put it in the box; at the end of the month you get an email if you won. I overbid, but I *really* wanted that camera at the time (mostly for the case, though the 45mm lens is nice, too).

Thrift stores are very hit-and-miss for 35mm SLRs, but they're worth checking out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just got an IPS monitor. It's glorious. No more "it's too dark, oh wait, now it's too bright, wait, let me adjust my monitor stand" nonsense.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

You're in Vancouver-area, right? I had a quick look last night as I was writing that post and found
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/vancouver/camera/1029695937?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
if you can stretch to ~$300 or talk the seller down (those slide trays are worthless)
and
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/burnaby-new-westminster/yashica-film-camera/1091295290?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
which is M42 mount (screw-mount, widely used up until the early-to-mid 1970's, e.g. Pentax Spotmatic; could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel about it) and apparently takes an expensive, hard-to-find battery.
and
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...gationFlag=true
which seems slightly overpriced, but not too badly.

and possibly the best option
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/delta-surrey-langley/canon-ae-1-35mm-slr-film-camera-vivitar-2800-auto-flash/1150910564
but I don't know if the AE-1 can do double-exposures. I'd look at mine but I sent it around the world :)

I bought a Minolta XG with 2 lenses (45mm f/2 quasi-pancake + random 3rd party 70-210 /4) and a sweet metal-briefcase type case for around $150 at a Salvation Army thrift store about 2 years ago. It was in their little auction section, where you write your bid on a piece of paper and put it in the box; at the end of the month you get an email if you won. I overbid, but I *really* wanted that camera at the time (mostly for the case, though the 45mm lens is nice, too).

Thrift stores are very hit-and-miss for 35mm SLRs, but they're worth checking out.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate this :) I've actually bid on a AE-1 (I looked it up before bidding, you can do double exopsures with it!) on ebay that's local, so hopefully by tomorrow I'll know if I won it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

HPL posted:

I just got an IPS monitor. It's glorious. No more "it's too dark, oh wait, now it's too bright, wait, let me adjust my monitor stand" nonsense.

Congratulations, you're using something that's almost as good as a 90s CRT... :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Except that a CRT the size of this monitor would be about the size and weight of a Volkswagen.