Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The_Final_Stand posted:

Question: If I already own HW on WiiU (with much of the DLC), and have a regular 3DS, is it worth me getting Legends?

It's not worth getting Legends on an old 3DS. It's a New-3DS-only game in all but name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Boomerangs dizzy which is by far the most useful of the abilities since it can take a general out of the fight for a bit which is great for quiz fights

I never even thought of this. That's a great idea. Also thanks for the huge post on weapon skills Folt, that was good info. I haven't even found a weapon with a 4000 ko skill yet, but I really want Hasty Attack on the good King.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've finally unlocked Defeat The Demon King in Adventure Mode, but I'm having trouble keeping my keeps from getting wrecked while keeping my allies alive, and I haven't even had Ganon actually show up yet. Any general tips for this map?

I believe I first went to get the dark fairy (or just did that after clearing the first mission, depends on how out-of-the-way it is in this mission). Have one character run for one Bombchu and command the other character to take the other Bombchu. Once one Bombchu is destroyed, clear away any nearby enemies if they're close to the keep that Bombchu was heading for, then command that character to go for the Bombchu heading for the Allied base while you switch to the other character and take care of the second Bombchu and the enemies that by now are probably in the second keep wrecking havoc. When done, switch back to the other character and destroy the third Bombchu, commanding the previous character to get the hell back to the base which is probably under siege. Once the first mission is cleared, rid the Allied base of any enemies in it's vicinity (kill Bulblins and Icy Big Poes/Lana first if you can; it'll help minimize damage done to your allies since killing them will rid high morale from a group of mooks if the enemy managed to take one of the marked keeps during your first mission) and send one character to the keep marked as hiding the boss key (or to the dark fairy if you didn't get it yet). Once the boss key is gotten and the Allied Base is free from danger, have one character stay in the Allied Base, while the other gets to Cia and dispels the Dark Barrier (... or the keep with the Boss Key was the one that had the Dark Barrier, I don't remember exactly), then beat Cia. Switch to the character in the Allied Base, because Ganon will spawn nearby. Order both characters to attack Ganon and fight Ganon while the other character is on his/her way, then switch to the character you want to use against Ganon for the second phase. Remember that you don't need to get an A Rank in order to unlock the next Adventure Map, if you're really having trouble in this mission.

Also, unrelated to this, but in terms of favorite Adventure Map, Great Sea takes first, followed by Termina, Twilight, OG Adventure Map, and finally Master Quest.

EDIT:

mabels big day posted:

I never even thought of this. That's a great idea. Also thanks for the huge post on weapon skills Folt, that was good info. I haven't even found a weapon with a 4000 ko skill yet, but I really want Hasty Attack on the good King.

I've heard the King has problems with HA, though only if he's currently under the effect of C1 (enemies are knocked too far away or something). Otherwise, it functions as a permanent C1 so you don't need to apply C1 to get the combos going.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

I've heard the King has problems with HA, though only if he's currently under the effect of C1 (enemies are knocked too far away or something). Otherwise, it functions as a permanent C1 so you don't need to apply C1 to get the combos going.

That's sad to hear. I don't mind use C1 to keep the meter full, I just thought it would be cool to stack the two effects and have absurdly fast attacks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

That's sad to hear. I don't mind use C1 to keep the meter full, I just thought it would be cool to stack the two effects and have absurdly fast attacks.

Who knows. To be honest, someone might find a way to have this actually benefit the King, and HA on the King lets you essentially cut out the middleman for the usual combos. And I'd expect that HA + C1 may still do wonders for the King's boss killing capabilities.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Any tips for the level 3 Dominion Rod mission? I'm pretty bad with that weapon as is and "Don't get hit!" isn't making it any easier.

Edit: Nevermind, I just beat it! I just basically abused special and magic attacks all the time.

Dunban fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 29, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought i'd have trouble with the Don't Get Hit missions for unlocking weapons but the ones they make you do it for are all pretty good at playing around that and they make the officers pretty non-aggressive.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dunban posted:

Any tips for the level 3 Dominion Rod mission? I'm pretty bad with that weapon as is and "Don't get hit!" isn't making it any easier.

Edit: Nevermind, I just beat it! I just basically abused special and magic attacks all the time.

I see you've beat it, but my advice is basically to always have a statue active. Increasing your attack range in this case means enemies can have a hard time getting close to you, and you don't want the harder enemies getting close to you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've finally unlocked Defeat The Demon King in Adventure Mode, but I'm having trouble keeping my keeps from getting wrecked while keeping my allies alive, and I haven't even had Ganon actually show up yet. Any general tips for this map?

If I'm remembering the right map, another tip is to let one of the keeps fall (NOT THE ALLIED BASE, obviously) and do damage control. A lot of the guys spawn/start advancing once you complete the first mission, so if you do everything as intended they wander on top of you when you're mopping up the first wave and everything just falls apart. I think your team takes a morale hit if that happenes, but it can be worth it. I remember there was ONE map where I had to specifically hold off triggering for that reason, and I think it was that one. After that I got ahead of the power curve enough on other maps that the delay was more in reaching enemies than killing them, so more enemies didn't matter much.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I just unlocked Skull Kid and wow, he is a ton of fun to play as. He's up there with Linkle, while Toon Link, Tetra and the King all seem kind of uninteresting unfortunately. Well okay the King isn't bad to play, but I can't get over that zero-effort voicework that sounds like the actor was about two seconds away from literally dying of boredom when it was recorded

That said, I don't have all the combos for any of them yet, because they all need shield-moblin helmets and I haven't seen any of those drop in forever. I need to find a good level for getting a bunch of those.

How the hell is Tetra's strong attack supposed to work, by the way? It does seem to break enemy guards as advertised, but it has such a long recovery time which can't be dodge-cancelled, by the time I can do anything the enemy is blocking again.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh come on. Lana's level 4 gate mission is a 4000 dmg taken A Rank? I felt I was doing great to get under 10k. Oh well, looks like I'm using the mask and a potion.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

I just unlocked the Great Sea map and tried some of the first few missions - is it just me or do they give barely any experience? Like the enemies seem comparably difficult to levels on the original Adventure map that I'm sure would put my character up a level, but the experience gauge barely moves on these. Is that just the first few levels, or is the whole map like that?

Folt The Bolt posted:

:words: about skills

And I didn't respond to this earlier, but thanks, that's really helpful! I'll have to start looking for the 3000 and 4000 kill sealed skills since I didn't realize how good they would be.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

They give a normal amount of experience in my uh, experience so far

I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 done with the great sea map.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Huh, okay. Maybe it's just the first few levels then, and I need to play some more of the map. I was really surprised when I was playing the map which has Agitha's Lv. 2 weapon - I could beat it but officers took a while to kill and I took a ton of damage, so unless I get a lot better with her I'd have no hope of A-ranking it now. I have her at level 20 from the training dojo, and killing everyone around brought her less than a quarter of the way to level 21. (Of course it's possible that's a high enough level to reasonably A-rank the map and I'm just terrible with her though)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I dunno. I remember getting virtually no experience in that map.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mastajake posted:

Oh come on. Lana's level 4 gate mission is a 4000 dmg taken A Rank? I felt I was doing great to get under 10k. Oh well, looks like I'm using the mask and a potion.

It's in the Ikana Canyon, right? That means the limit is 6000 instead of 4000.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

I just unlocked the Great Sea map and tried some of the first few missions - is it just me or do they give barely any experience? Like the enemies seem comparably difficult to levels on the original Adventure map that I'm sure would put my character up a level, but the experience gauge barely moves on these. Is that just the first few levels, or is the whole map like that?

It's probably so you can start levelling up Skull Kid and Toon Link for reals, since the Great Sea Map will be the only place to get their materials for a while until the Master Wind Waker Map comes out.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

And I didn't respond to this earlier, but thanks, that's really helpful! I'll have to start looking for the 3000 and 4000 kill sealed skills since I didn't realize how good they would be.

Don't bother looking for them if your Apothecary isnt levelled up. You start getting the 3000 skills and 4000 skills after you've killed 45 and 90 Skulltulas respectively, and it's not as important to get them on your weapons at the point where you currently are.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm stuck on the Twili Midna required mission in the upper left of the first adventure map that's blocking my path to Young Link and a Zelda weapon. Doesn't seem to matter how strong or quick I am, my allies just get themselves killed eventually. Do I need to just babysit them or what's the deal here

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm stuck on the Twili Midna required mission in the upper left of the first adventure map that's blocking my path to Young Link and a Zelda weapon. Doesn't seem to matter how strong or quick I am, my allies just get themselves killed eventually. Do I need to just babysit them or what's the deal here

This mission was a pain on the Wii U as well. It's probably for the best if you kill everyone except for the required officers and capture every keep as well. Once that's over with, kill of one of the required officers and then go to the enemy base that opens up afterwards and kill the commander there, then go take of the other enemy officer (if they haven't killed it off yet) and the other enemy commander.

Notably, the Master Quest version is nowhere near a pain as this one because you're using Darunia instead of Twili Midna who hits the elemental weakness of the majority of the enemies in this mission on top of having Fire as the recommended element, meaning a decently levelled Darunia will be hitting for high damage on just about every enemy.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Uh. Did we know about a second way to trigger infinite crazy meter on Zant? I know the old way was to tornado your way into a character intro cutscene, and that was patched out. In Legends, I just did a strong attack to activate crazy mode the instant before a focus spirit ran out of time, and ended up finishing the rest of the Rack Up KOs mission as a tornado.

The specific series of events was me pressing X to take Zant's helmet off and I started mashing Y to do the tornado. As soon as his helmet was down, the timeout focus spirit finisher happened, and when Zant shrank back down, I started mashing Y again and the crazy meter just did not deplete.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Starting to get level 4 weapons. Can you find these things as regular weapon drops after you get them? Do they have their own 1-5 star variants, or is the one I get from the mission the best/only one I can get?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I've finally gotten my 45th skulltula, which means I've finally unlocked the Rupee Festival buff. Now I just need a good map to farm rupees on - any suggestions?

Also, aside from the final potion, what buffs unlock at the final Bazaar upgrade? (90 skulltulas, goddamn, I don't know how I'm going to get that far)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've finally gotten my 45th skulltula, which means I've finally unlocked the Rupee Festival buff. Now I just need a good map to farm rupees on - any suggestions?

Also, aside from the final potion, what buffs unlock at the final Bazaar upgrade? (90 skulltulas, goddamn, I don't know how I'm going to get that far)

I confess I'm not as far as you, but what about one of those 'kill until your time runs out' maps? Like I imagine that killing 3000 anything is probably good for your wallet.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I confess I'm not as far as you, but what about one of those 'kill until your time runs out' maps? Like I imagine that killing 3000 anything is probably good for your wallet.

Are there any of those on the first Adventure Map? I've only barely delved into the Great Sea map because I'm still unlocking poo poo in the first one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

mabels big day posted:

Starting to get level 4 weapons. Can you find these things as regular weapon drops after you get them? Do they have their own 1-5 star variants, or is the one I get from the mission the best/only one I can get?

You can find up to 8-slot 5-star level 4 weapons, but they're really rare, mostly found on the hardest maps. You can get guaranteed ones from some of the missions for other people's Links. Amiibos also apparently have good odds.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are there any of those on the first Adventure Map? I've only barely delved into the Great Sea map because I'm still unlocking poo poo in the first one.

There's a bunch in the Great Sea, I don't think there's any in the Adventure Map

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yes, you can, and there are 1-5 star variants as well. In fact, I have gotten 5 star 8-slot variants for Lana's Spear, King Daphnes, and Toon Link already. (750 Attack Power!)

The best way to grind these is probably to go to the moon on the Termina Map and do the first mission over and over. It's a "Kill 1000 enemies before the Rogue forces do" mission that's initially restricted to Ganondorf: Pick the character you want the weapon for on the first choice, then pick a second haracter that is good at crowdclearing and officer killing, use the Weapon Rank III potion, then kill every officer/character enemy on the map, and the Dark Cia's as well if you have the opportunity. You should get 6 Lv. 3 weapons (usually) out of this, and if you're lucky then one of them is a Lv. 4 weapon, and if you are luckier, it's for the character you wanted.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

My Zelda amiibo gave me a 3 star level 4 baton today so thats cool. If amiibos always give weapons of the highest rank then getting them for Zelda, Link, Ganon, and the Midnas should be easy once I unlock them

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My new favourite thing is dropping a double-Dark fairy bomb on the Enemy Base once it's open and then loving off to clear out the rest of the map. Come back a few minutes later and wipe off that last hit point for an instant win.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Do we have any clue when Medli and the WW Master Quest map will come out besides just "late spring"?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I need to get an A-rank on the Adventure Map H-2 mission (defeat the commanders of 2 armies with Zelda to unlock H-1. Problem is, I'm killng things far too slowly. I don't know if Level 32 is too low for that map with the Baton or what, but I tried with the level 2 rapier too to similar poor effect. Is there a trick to clearing the map fast or do I just need to farm up more goddamn rupees and dojo up?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I need to get an A-rank on the Adventure Map H-2 mission (defeat the commanders of 2 armies with Zelda to unlock H-1. Problem is, I'm killng things far too slowly. I don't know if Level 32 is too low for that map with the Baton or what, but I tried with the level 2 rapier too to similar poor effect. Is there a trick to clearing the map fast or do I just need to farm up more goddamn rupees and dojo up?

If that's the map I'm thinking of you want to immediately go north and take out Volga then Wizzro because buffed Lizalfos are a lot easier to deal with than buffed characters.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I just managed to beat that mission the yesterday (with the level 2 rapier), and I had a lot of trouble staying under 4000 damage with a level 45-ish Zelda. So yeah, level 32 seems way too low, and even at higher levels you need to cheese some of the officer battles to have a chance at staying under 4000 damage.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

FrictionlessEmu posted:

I just managed to beat that mission the yesterday (with the level 2 rapier), and I had a lot of trouble staying under 4000 damage with a level 45-ish Zelda. So yeah, level 32 seems way too low, and even at higher levels you need to cheese some of the officer battles to have a chance at staying under 4000 damage.

I got an A-rank on damage just fine on both attempts (2500 and 3200). The problem I'm having is speedily killing 1200 units. With what you're saying about the level, I guess my only choice is to either grind EXP or farm more goddamn rupees. What a drag.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I got an A-rank on damage just fine on both attempts (2500 and 3200). The problem I'm having is speedily killing 1200 units. With what you're saying about the level, I guess my only choice is to either grind EXP or farm more goddamn rupees. What a drag.

Huh, okay then. Now I'm curious what you were doing against Volga and Wizzro to not rack up a ton of damage fighting them.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Huh, okay then. Now I'm curious what you were doing against Volga and Wizzro to not rack up a ton of damage fighting them.

Me too because Volga's a true piece of poo poo in this regard.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Well, with Volga, you can bait him into exposing his WPG by beating on him until he guards. After he guards and you let up he'll immediately go into his 'quick jump attack and expose WPG for a moment' attack. As long as you know to dodge right after you let up from attacking, this can get him into a vicious cycle pretty quickly.

Wizzro... I don't remember what I did. Mostly I dodged through his death spiral and just started wailing on him? He didn't take very many hits to beat.

Also, I did A-rank the mission finally with help from some fairy nukes. It became a lot easier across the board after I leveled Zelda to about 38 or so and used a 4* Lv. 2 Rapier despite the recommended lightning. Go figure. v:v:v The Fiery Aeralfos commander was honestly a lot more annoying to deal with than anything else on the map just because of how little damage it took from everything I threw at it.

Also I picked up the Magic Armor Lv. 2 (take less damage on lightning maps) badge, I don't know how much that specifically helped though because I only had 900 damage when I finished the mission.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ZZT the Fifth posted:

That map kicked my rear end until I came back with the level 2 baton.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Ah, makes sense. I'm just really bad at fighting Volga I guess, I had a lot of trouble keeping him from just hitting me in between my attacks or wherever. Wizzro wasn't nearly as bad, except that if his attacks do hit they do a ton of damage, so I decided to just snipe him with special attacks to make absolutely sure I wouldn't hit. And since that worked I ended up sniping Volga and Ghirahim with special attacks too, and running away to refill my special meter if necessary. :v:

And even with all of that, I still think I had around 3000 damage from occasionally being hit by those guys, or the aeralfoses, or the moblins... Though I completely forgot about getting a second defense badge for the level, that would have been smart.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh thank Christ, Fi's lv 2 weapon mission lets you bring a friend. That was Master Sword Power Hour and Fi Helps (a little).

Lana's lv 2 Summoning Gate is the same. After two failures of actually bringing characters with the recommended element, I said gently caress it and had Lana use her Book and brought Sheik to do the heavy lifting.

It's like the devs knew Fi is garbo and decided to throw the player a bone!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh thank Christ, Fi's lv 2 weapon mission lets you bring a friend. That was Master Sword Power Hour and Fi Helps (a little).

Lana's lv 2 Summoning Gate is the same. After two failures of actually bringing characters with the recommended element, I said gently caress it and had Lana use her Book and brought Sheik to do the heavy lifting.

It's like the devs knew Fi is garbo and decided to throw the player a bone!

Funny, these were exactly my thoughts on those maps yesterday

Fi is actually hot loving garbage though.

• Locked thread