Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Skeezy posted:

I never finished Default because of the way the ending worked. The overall game was fun though.

Even if you rushed for the true ending it was still crazy boring to redo stuff. Also kind of a weird message to say "Just keep doing it no matter how clear we make it that this is a bad idea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS4 FF7 rerelease is cool as has speed up, no-encounters, refill everything cheats if you want.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think the FFVII PC version also patched back in the original playstation music and added in the cheats the PS4 version has so it's a pretty decent port at this point.

E: Bleh sorry there's a cheat in the PC version to max out stats and money but no speedup or no enc apparently.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 29, 2016

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

FF8 remains the best FF by the metric of being able to beat it at level 1

As I recall, the minimum for getting through the game was like level 14? And that's the absolutely necessary boss fights.

Also, if you had a mind to cheat the Chocobo world and absolutely grind out the Seifer/Edea member sequences, you could squander hundreds of hours getting almost everything maxed without the main characters getting a single XP

bloodychill posted:

I don't remember the story at all but I do remember thinking the final boss fight with all his arms and the final boss music were the most awesome thing in a video game since the final boss sequence in Final Fantasy 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYXYewC0Y0

theultimo posted:

Play 9, its actually a good release

7 is dog poo poo on PC

The story of why was quite interesting, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Remember when reviewers were losing their mind over Aerith's death?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i love sonic adventure 2. i love the sonic/shadow levels. i love the tails/robotnik levels. i love the knuckles/rouge levels. i love the chao garden. i love those highway kart levels. i love Live and Learn. i love the entire feel of the game. sonic adventure 2 is in my top 5 games

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sonic Adventure 2 is really good. I liked it a lot, even with it's super dumb Shadow story moments.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Palpek posted:

I saw a game magazine that had advice on getting Aeris' last limit break on the same page as a guide to beating the final boss, which I thought was pretty excellent.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh hey! Hyper Light Drifter just put up a beta for co-op!

Tonight will be fun :)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I still don't know why people lost their minds over Aeris

even baby setafd was like "wow. okay, next"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i wish i was as aloof and self-confident as baby setafd

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Before Game of Thrones it was very unusual to have main characters die in the middle of something.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oddium posted:

i wish i was as aloof and self-confident as baby setafd

so does adult setafd

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sakurazuka posted:

Before Game of Thrones it was very unusual to have main characters die in the middle of something.

Guess what came out a year before Final Fantasy 7

Wait 1996? No wonder people get mad about those books not getting completed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be worse, Berserk has been going since 1988. Of course Miura hasn't gone 7 years without a chapter, yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I saw a game magazine that had advice on getting Aeris' last limit break on the same page as a guide to beating the final boss, which I thought was pretty excellent.
At the time I read a printed FF7 review where a whole paragraph was a description of the reviewer crying and how it was the first time he cried in his adult life.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
As someone who's only played like an hour of FF9 ( I think) I sometimes consider getting into FF but then I sober up

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just remembered that various rumors and trolls were floating around on how to keep Aeris alive. Stuff like 'you must have each character, including Yuffie and Vincent, at level 99 and then before Aeris dies, Cloud will confront Sephiroth himself and she will live' and people would absolutely fall for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PBS Newshour posted:

Guess what came out a year before Final Fantasy 7

Executive Decision was a good movie.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

the best final fantasy is the one you played when you were 12

I played FF2 GBA when I was 12 and it is most assuredly not my favorite FF.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

That's also not true, the best one is 7, 10 or 10-2 depending on what mood I'm in.

7 is probably the best as well, yeah. I can't loving wait for all of those insane remakes they're making

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

It's still the most interesting way a game has handled death. MGSV did something equally ballsy but they walked it back like chumps.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

It's still the most interesting way a game has handled death. MGSV did something equally ballsy but they walked it back like chumps.
What was interesting about it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

What was interesting about it?

The fact that it has permanent mechanical repercussions. FF2 and 4 did similar stuff but it was so rotating door it doesn't have the same impact.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the fake out with Cait Sith was funny and a clever way to put players into a false sense of security. 7's a drat good game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm sure there are other games that handled a similar event, but I can't think of any at the moment. I'm curious how many have had something like that in them.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ah right, yeah not many games do that. That said losing Aeris wasn't a massive hit mechanically due to the materia system.

I'm trying to think of other games that did that and honestly only Mass Effect came to mind when you can let either Ashley or the super dull guy die. It's not quite the same though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Now that I think about it video games are just generally bad at character deaths. Its just kinda something you shrug at because usually you are killing a million different people in any type of game that has character deaths.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Training posted:

I'm sure there are other games that handled a similar event, but I can't think of any at the moment. I'm curious how many have had something like that in them.

There's that moment in TWD1 where the bottom text reads "Carly will remember this" seconds before getting her brains blown out which was a devilishly clever twist.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

There's that moment in TWD1 where the bottom text reads "Carly will remember this" seconds before getting her brains blown out which was a devilishly clever twist.

Lol that's pretty good

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TWD1 was really cool. Great ending too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, that ending. So there's a character death that made me cry

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I should really play some more FFXIV.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how live-a-live handled plot deaths

I like how live-a-live handled a lot of things

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, that ending. So there's a character death that made me cry
I must admit that a great ending makes me forgive a lot of things a game might have done poorly on the way to it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It might not be a huge effect mechanically but deaths in Nier were special

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

It might not be a huge effect mechanically but deaths in Nier were special

Powerful game, although the real insanity of that game is the super secret ending. I imagine that might be the most affecting ending in all of video games of you didn't know about it ahead of time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I didn't see it coming and it was fantastic.

Having everything get deleted in front of you did feel like Yoko almost laughing at you for spending the time to get all the weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Especially in live-a-live's penultimate chapter where you play through as orsted and pretty much the entire game has just been typical "heroes rise up to fight villains" stories and you think orsted's chapter is over when you kill the villain but the chapter keeps going and the story keeps loving with your expectations

what a lovely game

• Locked thread