Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there anyway to utilize 5th generation polygons for stylistic horror? Like could it be unnerving to take a character that started in modern 3d rendering and have monsters or the transition from normal to the strange be from degenerating or simpler graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Is there anyway to utilize 5th generation polygons for stylistic horror? Like could it be unnerving to take a character that started in modern 3d rendering and have monsters or the transition from normal to the strange be from degenerating or simpler graphics?

I think so. If I ever did a cosmic horror game the creatures with more monstrous features would be portrayed as a mass of jumbled polygons and wriggling textures. So you might get a leg or an arm but the alien body looks like the worst of Bethesda's graphical glitches.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Yep. I think the graphical limitations of the monsters in something like Silent Hill 1 make them way more unnerving and scary compared to monster designs in something like Dead Space, which are grotesque but not really scary.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Monster horror game but in graphical style of The Witness or Firewatch

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I want a horror game with Until Dawn graphics but monsters with degrading graphical styles ranging from Oblivion character creation, N64 Goldeneye npcs, cutscenes mouth flaps from Flashback to Money for Nothing delivery men

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly looking for a good RE2 successor out there that's indie made and the only thing I can think of is Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, which is basically a mediocre-er RE1???

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was frustratingly nothing like the first but Parasite Eve 2 scratched my Resident Evil itch back in the day.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

I was frustratingly nothing like the first but Parasite Eve 2 scratched my Resident Evil itch back in the day.

Man, where's THAT sequel, something that plays like PE1?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crabtree posted:

I was honestly expecting Back In 1995 to try and use something like this as part of a twist, where the game keeps up the 1995 polygon graphics and CRT filter until the end of the game where the monsters become "real" and take on modern graphics and frame rates.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I want a horror game to use rolling shutter distortion and other video glitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg9Ph53ka2I

I kinda liked what SOMA did with visual glitches, but it didn't go far enough. It was just kinda pretty and not scary to me!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Skyscraper posted:

I beat PE1 a couple of years ago and...drat, I really thought it was terrible. It had some pretty cool ideas, but the balance of weapons was terrible, combat was repetitive, the story was trash (along with all of the characters), and many of the areas were poorly designed, given the fixed camera. Especially the final boss. Jesus, who thought that was a good idea?

Edit: For reference, you have to beat the final boss of the game, then escape through a tunnel while it chases you. If it touches you at any time, you die. If you take a wrong turn (which there is no indication of, it's just some corridors on a ship), the boss will catch you and you die. If you linger at any of the area transitions, of which there are...4 or 5?, the boss immediately appears at the ladder/trapdoor/door, and you die. I'm talking, like, a second after the screen loads. And if you die at any point in this entire sequence, you have to start over from the beginning of the cutscene before the boss, then you get to fight it again and repeat the entire sequence. It's the worst part in the entire game.

Oh and right after beating the boss, there's a save point. If you try to use it, the boss will catch you and you will die.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I beat PE1 a couple of years ago and...drat, I really thought it was terrible. It had some pretty cool ideas, but the balance of weapons was terrible, combat was repetitive, the story was trash (along with all of the characters), and many of the areas were poorly designed, given the fixed camera. Especially the final boss. Jesus, who thought that was a good idea?

Edit: For reference, you have to beat the final boss of the game, then escape through a tunnel while it chases you. If it touches you at any time, you die. If you take a wrong turn (which there is no indication of, it's just some corridors on a ship), the boss will catch you and you die. If you linger at any of the area transitions, of which there are...4 or 5?, the boss immediately appears at the ladder/trapdoor/door, and you die. I'm talking, like, a second after the screen loads. And if you die at any point in this entire sequence, you have to start over from the beginning of the cutscene before the boss, then you get to fight it again and repeat the entire sequence. It's the worst part in the entire game.

Oh and right after beating the boss, there's a save point. If you try to use it, the boss will catch you and you will die.

Probably Nomura.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skyscraper posted:

Scrapped in favor of the Third Birthday

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

Scrapped in favor of the Third Birthday

I dunno poo poo about parasite eve but everything I've heard about 3rd birthday makes it sound like someone at square just really hated parasite eve

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Morpheus posted:

I played PE1 some time ago, and while I really liked the combat and strange ways your weapons can progress, I'm with you on the final boss, that was absolutely the worst and something people warned me about in advance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That save point is such an epic troll I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Yoko Taro worked on PE1.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The story's heart is in the right place, I think the biggest failing is the script which seems to be where every 90s RPG died. It's spec sci-fi with Cronenberg nightmares but somewhere in the transition from book to film to game a lot of details are lost. There are some genuinely sweet moments you just don't see in video games like Daniel reconnecting with his estranged son as the city is just falling apart. Being grounded in a modern setting with real world locations lends a lot of weight to the story. It's a feeling I get from Silent Hill but is totally missing in Resident Evil where they nuke an entire city and I just don't give a poo poo about this place with its chess piece locked doors and clockwork mansions.

Definitely disagree on the combat but give me a system with enough customization to break and I'll love it no matter what. It's the only reason I stuck with Bravely Default for so long until I realized the plot wasn't going anywhere and I saw everything I wanted to with the battle system. I need to go back and play through the Chrysler Building to completion.

tl;dr Parasite Eve would stand the test of time with a cleaned up script and a liiiiitle more direction. Like you get junk on day 2 but don't know what to do with it until day 3, and the zoo level is basically the breaking point for many people as key items are hidden in pixel perfect spots. I wouldn't even give it a fully 3D makeover, just have roving monsters like Chrono Trigger and you can stealth pass them.

edit: Parasite Eve 2 I thought was really cool but the story goes full Resident Evil anime bonkers with machete carrying dudes in gas masks and hidden underground research facilities. It very much reminds me of Dino Crisis 2 which nails the action but at least with that game the writing is improved by being nonsense.

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno poo poo about parasite eve but everything I've heard about 3rd birthday makes it sound like someone at square just really hated parasite eve

Yeah, Tabata directed it and the game was basically an excuse to push the PSP. And I think it plays really well, it's actually a decent action title but just like Other M it turns a fun action hero into a moody, somber wimp. And your clothes represent your health so yeah, that visual gag from Ghosts 'n Goblins with none of the nudge-wink. Aya has more lines gasping than talking.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 29, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Parasite Eve was crippled by Aya running so slowly, like she had poo poo herself. The infamous chase sequence with the final boss is even more infuriating when it's much faster than Aya and all the corridors look the same, it's easy to get turned around and trying to save will kill you.

As interesting as the premise and combat was, I doubt I could ever replay it because of that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Parasite Eve was crippled by Aya running so slowly, like she had poo poo herself. The infamous chase sequence with the final boss is even more infuriating when it's much faster than Aya and all the corridors look the same, it's easy to get turned around and trying to save will kill you.

As interesting as the premise and combat was, I doubt I could ever replay it because of that.

I wonder how much of a decision it was to influence Aya's speed because the game is about 10 hours long. It was a serious point of contention back then that the game was "too short."

Like holy poo poo, I pray for 10 hour games these days.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

al-azad posted:

I wonder how much of a decision it was to influence Aya's speed because the game is about 10 hours long. It was a serious point of contention back then that the game was "too short."

Like holy poo poo, I pray for 10 hour games these days.

Yeah but there was a postgame dungeon gauntlet which led to a completely different final boss so the game is longer than 10 hours if you decide to do that. You also need to spend a fair bit of time tweaking your guns for that dungeon too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

That's unfortunate because I want there to be a resurgence of 90s 3D aesthetic in the same way Shovel Knight is a throwback to 8-bit platformers

same

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I actually do think that late 90s/early 00s games can be preety scary them most modern horror games because they were limited with the capablities of 3D graphics at the time till it got more steamlined.

Thief with the zombies caught me off guard and brought an already dark environment to being a unsettling one when they appeared. Redeads, Gibdos & Dead Hands were preety loving scary back in the N64 OoT because of how the lighting, polygons on 3D meshs and texturing were limited compared to today, but still brought a horror of what I saw was alien because of it. Maybe it's because of childhood nostalgia that links it but I don't know.

But yea I'm dissapointed that Back in 1995 wasn't all that great in the end. Shame, it had potential but like most games I see that have potential, it fucks up in one way or another.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Morpheus posted:

... Especially the final boss. Jesus, who thought that was a good idea?

There has to be a game that actually features Jesus as the final boss, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

That's unfortunate because I want there to be a resurgence of 90s 3D aesthetic in the same way Shovel Knight is a throwback to 8-bit platformers but even the trailers soured me on that game. You're completely right, the game looked worse than even Net Yaroze titles.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9LD3b have a little taste, friend

Gromit posted:

in one of the game boy final fantasies (probably some renamed other lovely jrpg) you fight god at the end and he's a little amish guy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gromit posted:

Kind of in Persona. There are a lot of allusions to Jesus throughout the SMT series like the Agony demon and a villain in Persona 3 who looks like Jesus wielding a revolver.

You do straight up fight the Abrahamic god Yahweh.

Groovelord Neato posted:

in one of the game boy final fantasies (probably some renamed other lovely jrpg) you fight god at the end and he's a little amish guy

I would totally play Dead Space '97. Also follow this dude's great blog.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

al-azad posted:

I would totally play Dead Space '97.

Well the screenshot is actually taken from the Mobile Dead Space Game.

http://www.ea.com/dead-space-android

So I guess you can play Dead Space '97 on your android.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I think the Dead Space picture in that album is a screenshot of the mobile game. e;fb
I agree with the idea of early 3D graphics making a comeback, it could be done well.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

VoidBurger posted:

I want a horror game to use rolling shutter distortion and other video glitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg9Ph53ka2I

I kinda liked what SOMA did with visual glitches, but it didn't go far enough. It was just kinda pretty and not scary to me!

Oh this looks friggin' cool!

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Y'all like point and clicks?

here's a loving Reddit post for the game I guess

Twerkteam Pizza fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 30, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

That's unfortunate because I want there to be a resurgence of 90s 3D aesthetic in the same way Shovel Knight is a throwback to 8-bit platformers but even the trailers soured me on that game. You're completely right, the game looked worse than even Net Yaroze titles.

I'd really like to see more intentionally lo-fi horror that's good. Power Drill Massacre seems promising but it seems like it's been a loooooong while since there's been an update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX93EdS_64U

It also seems like Routine, the space horror game that looked really good, has been silent for a while too. Man, every horror game I look forward to sputters and dies I guess.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

What's so horrifying about jewelry?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Trick Question posted:

What's so horrifying about jewelry?

Huh, that's weird. Gimme a sec to fix that link

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I know silent hill loved its dirty hospitals, but has there ever been any horror games involving dentists? They sort of share the same sort of fears of putting your life potentially in some stranger's hands, but I was only wondering if I missed the one game that had like drill protrusions and scalpels coming out of someone like spider legs or a camera from the perspective of watching something get really close and operate - but you don't know exactly what they're doing and where.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think all 3 of the Final Fantasy Legend games ended up with you fighting a deity, though only the first one was explicitly the creator.

They were the first 3 games in Square's SaGa franchise which isn't lovely :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

I know silent hill loved its dirty hospitals, but has there ever been any horror games involving dentists? They sort of share the same sort of fears of putting your life potentially in some stranger's hands, but I was only wondering if I missed the one game that had like drill protrusions and scalpels coming out of someone like spider legs or a camera from the perspective of watching something get really close and operate - but you don't know exactly what they're doing and where.
Nightmare Ned is the only one I can think of, there were as a dental nightmare level that took place in a mouth.

I really wish Disney would put that poo poo on GOG or something. That game had great atmosphere for a kids' horror game. It's what got me into the genre.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 30, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember that. The overworld character sprite looked to me looked like an old time magician as in had a tuxedo and top hat. The character in the battle screen was fairly understated.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Creator_%28Legend%29

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Why was anybody surprised that Back in 1995 wasn't good? At least other retro fad cash-in games try to hide the pandering, the pandering in Back in 1995 is so blatant it's right in the title of the game. They couldn't even be bothered to make it its own thing that stands alone from its premise, the premise is the game.

It'd be like making a Super Mario Bros. clone and calling it "Back in 1985".

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Just give me Alone in the Dark with a microtransaction system and maybe hats.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Why was anybody surprised that Back in 1995 wasn't good? At least other retro fad cash-in games try to hide the pandering, the pandering in Back in 1995 is so blatant it's right in the title of the game. They couldn't even be bothered to make it its own thing that stands alone from its premise, the premise is the game.

It'd be like making a Super Mario Bros. clone and calling it "Back in 1985".

That doesn't mean anything anymore. Shovel Knight didn't hide itself at all but then again a bad Mario clone is still based on a good game. I was hoping for a surprise hit but whatever, it's not like there aren't good games available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah but they didn't call Shovel Knight "Back in 1992". Also it was a good game.