Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:whitewater:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PloH-AaM2f4

e: oh he's running for congress, not senate

w/e!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Why are these Italians crossing the border wearing fake mustaches and brand new political t-shirts?

Also, Mike Pape looks like the kind of guy who would ineffectually promote abstinence-only at a school assembly and then diddle a couple kids on his way out.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

senate primaries occurring as we speak. discuss!

MD: van hollen almost doubling up edwards, only 3% reporting http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/maryland
PA: mcginty almost doubling up sestak who's barely leading fetterman, fairly robust 26% reporting http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/pennsylvania

looks like the establishment candidate's gonna win these shits

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

oystertoadfish posted:

senate primaries occurring as we speak. discuss!

MD: van hollen almost doubling up edwards, only 3% reporting http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/maryland
PA: mcginty almost doubling up sestak who's barely leading fetterman, fairly robust 26% reporting http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/pennsylvania

looks like the establishment candidate's gonna win these shits

How the gently caress does Joe Vodvarka have 9%, the guy is a tea-partier lol

His Facebook is here. I remember his son collecting signatures in Pittsburgh before the 2010 race.

GalacticAcid has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Apr 27, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Updated the MD line in the OP now that it's called for Van Hollen.

I haven't browsed Wikipedia in months to update that list, so if someone wants to quote and edit in all the current candidates, that's be cool.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Was not expecting Van Hollen to win like he has but I kind of knew the writing was on the wall for Sestak when he got the Obama and Clinton endorsements and then the second Emily's List ad buy all in three or four days. Sad to see him got but happy about Van Hollen. Also what an odd set of results for the PA primary, not sure who was voting Vodvarka because the three "real" candidates covered most every part of the party.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He must have been first on the ballot or something a la Alvin Greene.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I know it's not a senate race, but the PA attorney general race is a nail biter. I thought Shapiro (I live in MontCo so I've been familiar with Shapiro for a decade) was going to have an easy win but him and Zappala come from 2 very different sides of the democratic party. With 41% results in:

MORGANELLI, JOHN
13.89%
83,356 Votes

SHAPIRO, JOSHUA D
43.02%
258,171 Votes

ZAPPALA, STEPHEN A II
43.08%

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Philadelphia teachers' union revoked its Shapiro endorsement recently which couldn't have helped.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GalacticAcid posted:

How the gently caress does Joe Vodvarka have 9%, the guy is a tea-partier lol

His Facebook is here. I remember his son collecting signatures in Pittsburgh before the 2010 race.

I grew up with Joe's son but I've spoken to them in forever. I had no idea that this was the same Joe Vodvarka. :stare:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/725143361951174660

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Evil Fluffy posted:

I grew up with Joe's son but I've spoken to them in forever. I had no idea that this was the same Joe Vodvarka. :stare:

His son seemed liked a really nice guy when I met him, albeit briefly.

Something's weird though.

28 followers as of 10:13 PM. His website is absurdly lo-fi.

Did anyone here vote in PA?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
*shifts around nervously*

Nnnnn-nnnnooooo........

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hahah I'm just curious if his name was the top of the ballot. Although that might vary by county, not sure.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GalacticAcid posted:

Hahah I'm just curious if his name was the top of the ballot. Although that might vary by county, not sure.

He was in MontCo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The PA-6 Democratic race looks like it'll go down to the wire.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats just a computer glitch, Lindy Li does not actually exist, much to the relief of everyone in the fifth-no!-sixth district.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
thank gently caress mcginty won over sestak

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

surprising that Van Hollen and McGinty won by as much as they did

Chaka Fattah got 33%of the vote somehow

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

this. i think it makes that seat an extremely likely flip now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sestak was just a bad candidate right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

Sestak was just a bad candidate right?

He's one of those rare guys who looks like a complete winner on paper but for some reason can't loving win.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
He can't win because he's a pointlessly antagonistic dickhead who treats everyone around him like garbage.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

He's one of those rare guys who looks like a complete winner on paper but for some reason can't loving win.

He won his suburban Philadelphia seat (and retained it!) despite PA's 2000 era map being an intended Republican gerrymander and then beat incumbent (but party-switching) senator Arlen Specter durring the 2010 primary. Then, despite the Republican wave, he ended up being in what I think was the closest or second closest race in the country. His "blowing" of 2010 is very overstated, I think he actually preformed better than Specter would have.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yeah, there was no big ideological difference between Sestak and Mcginty, but apparently movers and shakers in the national party and PA hate Sestak. Word is that his campaign organization is really hamstrung, he micromanages the entire campaign, and burns through staff because people stop wanting to work for him.

Who knows how accurate it is though? The state party also hates him because they negotiated to get Arlen Specter to switch parties and be the 60th vote for Obamacare and then Sestak primaried him and lost. Some people think that since Arlen was a sitting Senator he would have won the seat if Sestak didn't damage him, but again, who knows?

If Sestak won in 2010, he would definitely be unopposed in the primary.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
lmao
https://twitter.com/DanRiehl/status/725475689231728640

quote:

A woman listed as the RSVP contact for U.S. Sen. John McCain's re-election fundraisers...
Not exactly a high ranking official, but maybe Kirkpatrick'll make something out of it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How is McCain's opponent polling? I keep seeing that he's the most hated incumbent senator up for reelection this year, but it's also Arizona so I'm kind of assuming he'll win.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

latest rcp has, two weeks ago, showed a tie
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/az/arizona_senate_mccain_vs_kirkpatrick-5455.html
single polls in march and january had him up +1

almost 20% undecideds, though, and you can reliably expect an incumbent in a state that leans his party's way to pick up well over half of the undecideds. so i would still say he's favored. however if latino registration is increasing like anecdotes and limited evidence says it is, arizona could potentially see an accentuated blue wave

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Specter would have gotten smoked by Toomey, as that was the whole reason he switched parties in the first place

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i remember i worked for the nih when specter made a funny deal where he got the nih a shitload of money in exchange for voting for the stimulus bill. ten billion dollars. but it was a one-off deal, so iirc the nih basically had to plan for stimulating like 400 jobs total with grants that would assuredly not be renewed two years later, which isn't really the best way to do research

i guess i dont hate the guy for supporting basic research but he had to do it in a stupid political way

and all that science couldnt save him from BEING DEAD

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cliff Racer posted:

He won his suburban Philadelphia seat (and retained it!) despite PA's 2000 era map being an intended Republican gerrymander and then beat incumbent (but party-switching) senator Arlen Specter durring the 2010 primary. Then, despite the Republican wave, he ended up being in what I think was the closest or second closest race in the country. His "blowing" of 2010 is very overstated, I think he actually preformed better than Specter would have.

Specter was going to lose regardless because he was going to swap back to being a Republican the moment the GOP retook the Senate and the right wing had been gunning for him for awhile. Toomey was going to beat him in the primary or general.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

He can't win because he's a pointlessly antagonistic dickhead who treats everyone around him like garbage.

Some people see that as a plus for their elected officials. :v:

I think Toomey's days were numbered regardless of who won the primary but I guess most political predictions are out the window this year.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Specter was going to lose regardless because he was going to swap back to being a Republican the moment the GOP retook the Senate and the right wing had been gunning for him for awhile. Toomey was going to beat him in the primary or general.

You don't swap back. You get one party switch per life, and if you waste it you done is hosed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Actually, I think Specter could have pulled off a switch and survived, but it couldn't have been a switch back from Republican to Democrat, it would have had to be to Independent (caucusing with Democrats, of course, to keep his seniority and stay in the majority.) This would have allowed him to avoid the upcoming primary with Toomey while also not forcing him to vote lock-step Democratic on everything, regardless of the legislation's popularity. People look back now and act like Specter was the man to beat but he was pretty much loathed by both sides after the switch- everyone had been alienated due to the blatantly political nature of his four years voting straight ticket R and two voting straight ticket D.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

oystertoadfish posted:

latest rcp has, two weeks ago, showed a tie
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/az/arizona_senate_mccain_vs_kirkpatrick-5455.html
single polls in march and january had him up +1

almost 20% undecideds, though, and you can reliably expect an incumbent in a state that leans his party's way to pick up well over half of the undecideds. so i would still say he's favored. however if latino registration is increasing like anecdotes and limited evidence says it is, arizona could potentially see an accentuated blue wave

That'd be funny as hell, to see the Trump effect end McCain's political career. The long tail of the Palin VP pick finally claims him, poetic justice.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Well he has no chance but I am going to volunteer for Emory Rodgers' campaign and vote for him in California. CA Bernie supporters, this is your guy.

https://voteforemory.com/

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Well he has no chance but I am going to volunteer for Emory Rodgers' campaign and vote for him in California. CA Bernie supporters, this is your guy.

https://voteforemory.com/

His issues page says "A pardon on violent crimes". I hope that's a typo or his campaign is already over.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

His issues page says "A pardon on violent crimes". I hope that's a typo or his campaign is already over.

Hahaha I didn't see that. I'm pretty sure he means non-violent crimes but wow he needs to fix that or explain himself.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

His campaign was over before it began, the state Attorney General and a sitting congresswoman are already running for the seat and will crush this nobody.

edit: He also wants to intervene against Ares of the US on that website, dunno what he has against the gods.

Cliff Racer has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hahaha I didn't see that. I'm pretty sure he means non-violent crimes but wow he needs to fix that or explain himself.

Fixed already.

• Locked thread