Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

moths posted:

I'll double check, but I'm certain that I sent it yesterday.

Got 2 emails from you today! I've replied to both so please check your account :)

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I like them. I'd change the February challlenge to a more generic one , limiting this to only movies and only 2016 doesn't leave that much room for creativity. Having a general Break the 4th Wall challenge has always been my favorite, so I'd like to see it return.

I agree, I removed the general TV/movie theme so February will be the TV/movie month for next season. (editing the post now)

Urgh, top of page, so I'll copy/paste all the stuff I've posted just recently!

housekeeping...

Zark the Damned posted:

EDIT: As a quick reminder, it's the final month so please check that your info is correct in the spreadsheet! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gyczYXjiTMPxtFrjYiqm1qJIQmj5hjevoWPDwos354w/edit#gid=7
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check the spreadsheet to make sure you have all the points you should have. We did change pointkeepers partway through but that shouldn't have affected things. We are also catching up with the judging (as usual), so it will be a little while before we have the final totals for everyone.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
OK, so the NEXT OATH THREAD is going up at the end of this month (OMG that's so soon), unless there are major objections I'm not planning to change the points or rules. I'll post the link here and in a few of the game threads, I will encourage all of you to share the Oath Thread with other threads that you take part in that I may miss out, talk it up, get excited, share how many models you got painted, etc. I haven't figured out how to do a referral system yet but basically the more the merrier, you guys know that!

As we'll have a new Oath Thread (Season SEVEN! wow how time flies) I'll discuss new/returning sponsors in the new thread, ANY discussion about prizes, judgements, points, etc., will need to stay in this thread so we're not flipping back and forth between different threads please.

I'll also be very gently poking the judges so we can get caught up.

THEMES for next year will stay mostly unchanged, I don't recall any major failures or themes that got ignored but if there was some failing there please come forward. I think the pre-listing of the themes worked out pretty good, it let everyone plan ahead, there were some wonky ones that we just didn't have a good idea for (like...February?) but they can't all be winners! I'll try to think of a couple of different ones and welcome new monthly theme ideas, I'll post a list soon for perusal and comment.

IF YOU ARE AWAITING A PRIZE please drop me a line: krushgroove169 at gmail.com to confirm I have your prize info, name and postage address. I have been in touch with a goon or two in the past couple of weeks for stuff, if you haven't been in touch I've probably forgotten or misplaced your info so PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.

Also I realize there are many month's worth of prizes that need to be drawn, I will be doing that this week, I forgot Zark isn't doing the prize draws.

Finally, I'm going to stop being shy just for one time every year and say that YES any donations to help out with postage will be gratefully accepted by Paypal. I'm posting out many pounds/kilos of MDF terrain, paint and other goodies and yeah it does cost a pretty penny when going to the post office with an IKEA bag full of stuff. So any help would be gratefully received. My Paypal address is frank.mckinney at gmail.com

:siren: KR CASE PRIZE WINNERS :siren:

These are the only goons that completed painting their KR Multicase boxes/cases last June:

Schmetterling
Indolent Bastard
NTRabbit
signal
Zark the Damned
moths
liljonas

If you completed painting your case and aren't on this list, GET IN TOUCH NOW by emailing me at krushgroove169@gmail.com, ideally with a link to your completed Oath post.

I've been through all the posts from last June and have collected pictures of the finished cases, and have mailing addresses from everyone and I'll be passing on this info to KR this week, so GET IN TOUCH NOW!!!. This is your last chance to get your prize!

:siren: OK so here's the provisional Challenge list for Season 7! :siren:
I've moved a few around, cleaned up some of the wording and added a couple of new ones to keep things fresh, but mostly they're the same or similar to this season.

quote:

Challenges
Every month has its own theme, and every theme will have its own Theme Challenge and Technical Challenge related to the main theme. You only need to do one Challenge to earn your Challenge Point for the month. Doing both Challenges in a month will NOT give you extra points. Some months have alternate challenges for one or the other challenge, just choose whichever fits your needs/models/skills best and crack on! If you have any questions just ask.

May: Apropos of nothing...
technical challenge: paint a model in an 'old' painting style! Classic GW style with bright green rims? Perfect! Even better is if you can find a painting DVD or guide from way back when (we all have one kicking around, right?) and copy their style as close as you can
theme challenge: paint the OLDEST model you have in your stack of models!

June: Summer’s here! It's the hottest month of the years, so show us some skin!
technical challenge: paint a model that is mostly skin - any color skin you like! The model (not counting weapon or base) should be at least 50-60% skin, so for example a Conan-style barbarian with tall boots, loincloth and bracers will probably count as at least 50% skin
theme challenge: paint a model that is showing a bit of skin - at least bare arms, exposed midriff, exposed legs, etc. Let's say 25% of the model should be skin (not counting weapon or base)

July: Life's a beach!
technical challenge: use water effects of some type on your base, so that your model looks like it's just stepped out of the water - or it's just about to go in the water!
theme challenge: paint a model that is in some way related to water - it could be a mermaid, navy SEAL, fish, sharkman, boat, whatever you like!

August: Feeling hot! hot! hot! it’s the hottest time of the year!
technical challenge: OSL! Now it's time to PAINT a cool glow effect on your model! Fire, engine heat, glowing eyes, whatever you can think of
theme challenge: paint actual flames, smoke or something similar on your model

September: School's about to start - let’s celebrate the big yellow school bus!
technical challenge: paint a mostly YELLOW model! Yellow should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: paint a school bus-themed model! Alternatively, paint a model that has the classic math/science/geometry teacher stylings of tweed! Put plaid or tweed somewhere on your model

October: The month of horror movie releases and Halloween!
technical challenge: in the spirit of the "hidden threat" in classic suspense films (such as the mother/neighbor you'd never suspect, or the "evil twin"), paint a model with a very bright spotlight source of light! This is tricky because of the extreme brightness on one side of the model, and extreme darkness on the other side! Alternatively, paint a mostly BLACK model! Black should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: paint any type of scary monster, in any style you like! This can be something like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Alien, Cloverfield, a large doll, whatever!

November: Harvest Time! Oranges and yellows are the theme! ORRR go with Day of the Dead as your theme
technical challenge: your choice! paint orange and red leaves on your model OR paint some skulls (actual freehand paint 2D skulls, not just painted model skulls)
theme challenge: your choice! harvest time celebrations OR Day of the Dead (Google it)

December: Holly-Jolly Christmas-time, of course! (or Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Saturnalia or whatever) Red & Green, White or anything holiday-themed!
technical challenge: paint a mostly RED model! Red should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: something for the holidays, of course!

January: So C-C-Cold! it’s the middle of winter and my snot is frozen solid!
technical challenge: paint a mostly WHITE model! White should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: use snow effect type basing to enhance the cold effect of a model that is wrapped up for warmth

February: It's Oscar season!
technical challenge: in the spirit of Jerry Bruckheimer movies, let's see some explosions! Get creative, use OSL, zenithal type lighting and/or actual lighting!
theme challenge: paint a model that represents or is related to a movie (or TV show)! It doesn't have to be an actual model (e.g., you don't have to paint an actual Captain America or Superman model, but you can paint something in the Captain America or Superman theme & colors)

March: Spring is springing! It’s all GREEEEENNNN!!!
technical challenge: spring is about new beginnings, so take those old bitz and parts and make a model to paint! Yes, this is all about scratchbuilding and converting!
theme challenge: paint or model something on your model that represents new growth - it doesn’t have to be green necessarily, just representative of the theme of springtime

April: Game of Thrones! OMG OMG OMG Season 7 is starting!
technical challenge: paint a DRAGON! (if all you have is sci-fi/40K stuff, something that flies and shoots will substitute just fine)
theme challenge: paint anything with a fantasy theme! No steampunk, no sci-fi, no high magic (e.g., not classic D&D style) - something with armor, furs, fur, sword and/or dagger

Australians - YOU guys only are specifically allowed to swap around the themes to fit your seasonal weather, for example: January - Summer Holidays; February - Feeling Hot; and so on. PLEASE NOTE if you are swapping monthly themes so we can track who did what months if necessary.

I'll come back to this in a couple of days to see if everything sticks, but otherwise I'm happy to take questions or listen to concerns if anyone has any.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Final Oath Completed

Claiming Challenge!
ONE FOR ALL

This is everything I have painted minus a few Chaos Models since the Oath season started last year, so of course there is some non-oath stuff hiding in there. Either way, I feel it is a pretty spiffy fighting force.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Re: the challenges. The June challenges seem redundant, in that if you've done the technical challenge, you've automatically done the theme challenge too; or, to put it another way, the theme challenge is only a numerically lesser version of the technical challenge, with nothing else to distinguish it. Unless I'm missing something.

Also, for April, saying fantasy but then excluding D&D style is pretty weird. I think I get that you're going for low fantasy, but that seems narrower/less kind to people's modeling habits than nearly any other challenge, including the other April challenge.

I don't have any brilliant alternative suggestions right now, but those two did stand out to me as in need of adjustment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The unspiration thread gave me an idea about an "extreme makeover" type theme / achievement. You'd choose a figure in horrible condition for your oath for a "before" picture. Then do whatever it takes to make it pretty, then post your results when it's complete. Basically this but with space marines and a time stamp:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

My idea for spring or January was whatever mini you've had in WIP stage for longest, you finally finish. Or if you're a weirdo that finishes everything they start, then extreme makeover. Obviously waiving the 1 color requirement.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

For the May theme of painting the oldest model in your stack of models, does that mean the one I've had the longest, or the oldest actual mold? Hard for me to say what is actually the oldest...I assume my metal Grey Knights are pretty old.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

moths posted:

The unspiration thread gave me an idea about an "extreme makeover" type theme / achievement. You'd choose a figure in horrible condition for your oath for a "before" picture. Then do whatever it takes to make it pretty, then post your results when it's complete. Basically this but with space marines and a time stamp:

For this to be a proper comparison to mini rescue, the car would need to have a 1" thick layer of paint caked on it, including over the lights and windshields

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moths posted:

this unironically owns

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Business Gorillas posted:

this unironically owns

Except most of my ebay recoveries have already been fixed or at least stripped.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Except most of my ebay recoveries have already been fixed or at least stripped.

sounds like a challenge to take a mini you dont like and gently caress it up for the sake of the thread

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Business Gorillas posted:

sounds like a challenge to take a mini you dont like and gently caress it up for the sake of the thread

Will it blend, and can you fix it?

We'll see.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:slick::slick:JUDGEMENT OF DECEMBER:slick::slick:

3rd Place (1 point) - Electric Hobo

Gotta say, this made me smile. He loves his job! Nice work on the edge highlights, and bringing the same red home with the epaulet things. There are elements both big and small I like about this fella… the cloak, the medals, the detail on the glove, it’s all working great.

2nd Place (2 points) - Germ

Okay I think I’ve had a moment with this scheme before, but I definitely should give ample credit for the fantastic, smooth gradients on these grav-thingies. Nice shading on the curves of the hull, those smooth planes are hard to work with. I’m also really enjoying the alternating placement of the main colors across the various planes, the slightly different hornets are cool as ice.

1st Place (3 points) - Dr. Gargunza

Behold of these two different and magically executed shades of white. Very nice job, a really nuanced scheme that still stands out great. I particularly like the grey pants and blue nitrile glove! He has a surgical cleanliness that is unexpected and characterful for an ork. It’s easy to picture how his yellowy eyes twitched neurotically when the little corner of his apron got a bit of spleen on it.

Technical challenge point - DMNZ

Amazing contrast in these guys. The red here is plenty strong enough to carry the whole job, the subtlety in the banner is particularly nice. The green and white are great supporting colors, though the warm grey bordering the red and white is perhaps my favorite!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

My idea for spring or January was whatever mini you've had in WIP stage for longest, you finally finish. Or if you're a weirdo that finishes everything they start, then extreme makeover. Obviously waiving the 1 color requirement.

I like this. Some of the older Oath threads had something like this, Amnesty month I think it was called.

JerryLee posted:

Re: the challenges. The June challenges seem redundant, in that if you've done the technical challenge, you've automatically done the theme challenge too; or, to put it another way, the theme challenge is only a numerically lesser version of the technical challenge, with nothing else to distinguish it. Unless I'm missing something.

Maybe June theme challenge should be to paint a model that's kicking back, relaxing and enjoying life. A model that's very clearly not in the middle of a battle, waving a gun around, swinging a sword or roaring at adventurers. Something like that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oath Complete!

Looking forward to doing more consistent Oathing next season!

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
I plan on oathing for May. I will be shooting for the "oldest model you own" challenge. The problem I have is that it is an old metal drednaught and I seem to have misplaced his feet. I have a mold and was going to make feet out of greenstuff. Is it cool if I make the feet now, or would it be more in the spirit of things to wait a few days until I make the oath post?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's a good question and it probably applies to the scratch built/conversion model challenge later.

I'm definitely going to oath next season and I'm already planning out my projects. I've ordered some supplies to be ready for May and I'm excited. I'm not big into conversions but I've got one model in my Hordes army that I heavily converted and I may want another/more depending on the new rules coming out in July. I used bits from other kits and some press molds I made from crap I couldn't chop up easily. It'd be nice to know how much to do beforehand. It's also not a new idea to me, even though I think it's super cool.

I was hoping I had an unpainted Necromunda model lying around for May but turns out they're all "fully painted". Same goes for my Sisters of Battle, even though my version of "fully painted" from that time frame was neat base coats, maybe a wash. My actual oldest model is a Saint Celestine but I've base coated her armor gold, like 17 or 18 years ago. I can probably dig out something else completely unpainted from 5 or 6 years ago.

I really like the extreme make-over idea and if it doesn't work for oaths, I still want some excuse to pretty up some of the old models I still have. Mine aren't god-awful-terrible though and my painting skills aren't that much better so I don't know how much difference I'm going to get. I don't play 40K or Necromunda any more but I've still got my minis.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I had forgotten about this thread upon recently getting back in to mini wargaming. I undercoated some models this weekend, but I already started putting black on the models after undercoating (except 1) are the others eligible for an oath, or does having 1 color on them disqualify them? If so I've got 1 I haven't touched yet, I'll just use that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

PyroDwarf posted:

I plan on oathing for May. I will be shooting for the "oldest model you own" challenge. The problem I have is that it is an old metal drednaught and I seem to have misplaced his feet. I have a mold and was going to make feet out of greenstuff. Is it cool if I make the feet now, or would it be more in the spirit of things to wait a few days until I make the oath post?

The mods can give the final word but it seems like it'd be fine to do it beforehand. The oath is to take an unpainted (or primed, basecoated, whatever) mini and turn it into a painted mini. Doesn't say anything about not having all the parts together before the month.

Think of it this way, if it was a regular, complete kit, would you worry about trimming the feet off the sprue and gluing them on before the month started? Obviously not. I don't see why this would be different. But again, if you're super nervous, you can let a mod have the last word.

Germ
May 7, 2013

It might be fun to do a "Quantity has a quality of its own" month, where the theme challenge is to do a "squad" of models that goes together somehow. A party of adventurers, a unit for a wargame, or the like.

I was really enamored of the old "step by step" bonus, where you had to provide in progress pictures and describe all of the paints you used. I learned tons from that, reading and seeing others' processes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think it's fine to do the modelling stuff in advance as the standard rules are that you may prime an oath before pledging it.

We should probably allow for the restoration projects before pic to be taken in advance (with a time stamp to show that it is vaguely recent?) as stripping paint can take awhile. Unless that defeats the point of the challenge?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JerryLee posted:

First thing to remember is that you only get the Challenge point for one Challenge or the other. You only get one point, not 2 points for doing both. also, the Technical Challenge is meant for 'advanced' painters or for anyone looking for a challenge, which is why it requires more skin - all the various color challenges (red, white, black, yellow) require 50% color coverage now, actually, instead of 25%, to up the challenge factor. If you're not confident in doing skin tones but want to give it a go, do the Theme Challenge which requires any amount of skin (such as a face or arm). So it seems redundant but remember you just get 1 point for doing either.

quote:

Also, for April, saying fantasy but then excluding D&D style is pretty weird. I think I get that you're going for low fantasy, but that seems narrower/less kind to people's modeling habits than nearly any other challenge, including the other April challenge.
I agree, I'm just into Game of Thrones right now, like half the world is :) I'll remove the 'no high fantasy' line. The intention was that this is great for Frostgrave players, too!

moths posted:

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I like these, will have to see what is dropped for this challenge though!

Uroboros posted:

For the May theme of painting the oldest model in your stack of models, does that mean the one I've had the longest, or the oldest actual mold? Hard for me to say what is actually the oldest...I assume my metal Grey Knights are pretty old.
I don't want to have to dive into the history of any particular manufacturer's models, but I meant the old actual model scuplt. Like a Rogue Trader space marine or something like that.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I like this. Some of the older Oath threads had something like this, Amnesty month I think it was called.

Maybe June theme challenge should be to paint a model that's kicking back, relaxing and enjoying life. A model that's very clearly not in the middle of a battle, waving a gun around, swinging a sword or roaring at adventurers. Something like that.
I like the kicking back thing, I'll add that as an option. I did mean to do an amnesty month actually, for my birth month, I'll work that into October and possibly later in the season too.

PyroDwarf posted:

This is fine.

Korwen posted:

I had forgotten about this thread upon recently getting back in to mini wargaming. I undercoated some models this weekend, but I already started putting black on the models after undercoating (except 1) are the others eligible for an oath, or does having 1 color on them disqualify them? If so I've got 1 I haven't touched yet, I'll just use that.
1 color is fine, whether it's primed or basecoated in whatever color your base color is.

Germ posted:

It might be fun to do a "Quantity has a quality of its own" month, where the theme challenge is to do a "squad" of models that goes together somehow. A party of adventurers, a unit for a wargame, or the like.
We did have this, but I dropped it because of games like Malifaux, etc., where you don't have a 'squad' of dudes/dudettes, and just add individual figures. Any ideas on how to add something like that, which doesn't exclude collectors of smaller skirmish-level games?

quote:

I was really enamored of the old "step by step" bonus, where you had to provide in progress pictures and describe all of the paints you used. I learned tons from that, reading and seeing others' processes.
I think that's still an Achievement? or was that removed because people weren't so hot about it at the start of this season? I'll have to go back. I liked it as well but may have dropped it for newer achievements.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

krushgroove posted:

We did have this, but I dropped it because of games like Malifaux, etc., where you don't have a 'squad' of dudes/dudettes, and just add individual figures. Any ideas on how to add something like that, which doesn't exclude collectors of smaller skirmish-level games?

A lot of skirmish games have crew boxes of 4-6 models, I'd call that a squad.

The easiest way to define it I guess would be any pack of multiple minis but I dunno if there should be a minimum. Batman/Marvel have crew starters of 4 models which seems reasonable.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Work in Progress was a Jurnal in Season 5, I don't know if it was a achievement previously. Season 6 didn't have one though.

Regarding a 'squad' type Jurnal, how about something along the lines of taking minis from different manufacturers and making them look like they belong together? e.g. a Mordheim/Frostgrave Warband or a 40k Inquisitorial Henchmen squad.

I also have a suggestion re the 'All for One' achievement (assuming it's back again), removing the part about posting all your previous Oaths. All the Oaths should already be in the Spreadsheet if people want to see them, the main point is the picture of everything together.

One Jurnal I liked in season 5 was the 'Breast Cancer Awareness' (slash charity of your choice) one, maybe bring that back, possibly as a achievement?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

A lot of skirmish games have crew boxes of 4-6 models, I'd call that a squad.

The easiest way to define it I guess would be any pack of multiple minis but I dunno if there should be a minimum. Batman/Marvel have crew starters of 4 models which seems reasonable.

Well there's also games like Dropzone, Saga, etc., that have 10-20 models in the starter packs, so the question becomes where do you draw the line? It's a tough one I think, and the reason that Achievement was dropped. I'm happy to hear suggestions, though, because I'm not familiar with all the games that are out there. Minimum 4 models? that's about one per week.

Zark the Damned posted:

I also have a suggestion re the 'All for One' achievement (assuming it's back again), removing the part about posting all your previous Oaths. All the Oaths should already be in the Spreadsheet if people want to see them, the main point is the picture of everything together.
Yeah I can't recall the exact reasoning for this, I think it was basically for accountability. Realistically, I'm not going to go through everyone's old posts and count posts (or models!), so if you say all your models are in there, I'm not going to go 'nope, you're missing two!' and say they don't get the point.

quote:

One Jurnal I liked in season 5 was the 'Breast Cancer Awareness' (slash charity of your choice) one, maybe bring that back, possibly as a achievement?
I might do this as an Achievement actually, there are loads of charitable goons. The starting point of me taking this off was being informed of the dubious nature of the Breast Cancer Awareness charity.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

krushgroove posted:

Well there's also games like Dropzone, Saga, etc., that have 10-20 models in the starter packs, so the question becomes where do you draw the line? It's a tough one I think, and the reason that Achievement was dropped. I'm happy to hear suggestions, though, because I'm not familiar with all the games that are out there. Minimum 4 models? that's about one per week.

Maybe it should be something like choose at least four unassociated models, paint them, and then provide a short story as to why they're all together.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

First thing to remember is that you only get the Challenge point for one Challenge or the other. You only get one point, not 2 points for doing both. also, the Technical Challenge is meant for 'advanced' painters or for anyone looking for a challenge, which is why it requires more skin - all the various color challenges (red, white, black, yellow) require 50% color coverage now, actually, instead of 25%, to up the challenge factor. If you're not confident in doing skin tones but want to give it a go, do the Theme Challenge which requires any amount of skin (such as a face or arm). So it seems redundant but remember you just get 1 point for doing either.

My problem was never that I thought you could double-dip. If anything, the fact that you can only ever get one point, with the amount of skin you paint not mattering, just reinforces my claim that they're redundant: you might as well just have a single technical challenge for painting some amount of skin, with the exact amount left up to the individual painter, and let the theme challenge be something else. The entire reason for having two separate categories for how to earn your challenge point each month is so that there can be a different approach for each. Or so I thought.

You bring up the color challenges in general, and I like the color challenges a lot, but every other color challenge month doesn't do what June is currently doing-- it would be silly for, e.g., December's theme challenge to be "Oh, uh, also paint red, but this time you only have to paint a little bit." Instead, December's theme is something open-ended and distinctly different from the technical challenge, which is what I thought was the intention of having two separate challenge options, and what I'm arguing should be done for June.

For the record, I liked Lord Hypnostache's suggestion. I'm sure there might be others as well.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cat Face Joe posted:

Maybe it should be something like choose at least four unassociated models, paint them, and then provide a short story as to why they're all together.
Sounds good, I'll try to write in something like that so it's understandable.

JerryLee posted:

For the record, I liked Lord Hypnostache's suggestion. I'm sure there might be others as well.

Riiight, OK, I gotcha. I missed that Lord Hypnostache's idea is for the skin theme, so yeah. I agree totally, it makes more sense for sure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Riiight, OK, I gotcha. I missed that Lord Hypnostache's idea is for the skin theme, so yeah. I agree totally, it makes more sense for sure.

Hope I didn't come off as badgering ya. :shobon: You folks do all the work here. It's just that I saw something that I thought could really be improved and make the month's challenges a lot better

Thanks also for accepting the feedback on the GoT challenge. I had been going to suggest having the theme challenge be anything that they could plausibly connect to GoT or ASOIAF in any way... so for example, one could paint a sassy dwarf, a dead guy on a toilet, or a fat scribe spectating a Blood Bowl game instead of working :v: But if no one else has an issue, then I certainly don't.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Laziest Oath Addition:

Blank base, to be used as a counter

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Maybe we could make painting Ultramarines a monthly challenge, right guys?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Uroboros posted:

If you can convince me to go back to painting ultramarines that would be an achievement, but not in the context of this thread! Although some of my old paint jobs might qualify for the restoration challenge! :p

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

krushgroove posted:

Yeah I can't recall the exact reasoning for this, I think it was basically for accountability. Realistically, I'm not going to go through everyone's old posts and count posts (or models!), so if you say all your models are in there, I'm not going to go 'nope, you're missing two!' and say they don't get the point.

Oh shoot, I forgot to do that. Better go edit them in.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren: January Oaths! :siren:

3rd Place: Moths, 1pt

I'm a big fan of the color blue, and your work on these old-school DE really caught my eye. Their purple-pale skin offers a nice contrast to the blue and makes them striking.

2nd Place: Uroboros, 2pts

Your Ultras continue to impress me with their clear, consistent paint jobs and attention to small details.

1st Place: SRM, 3pts

You seriously make some of the best dang orks around. The skin color has the right amount of richness to it, and the glazing around the eyes and lips really give it some life.

Bonus Point: Galaspar, 1pt

I really like the work you did on here. A more minimalist approach to Death Guard, but in a way that I think really enhances their appearance. I also dig that power sword on the chaplain.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

1st Place: SRM, 3pts

You seriously make some of the best dang orks around. The skin color has the right amount of richness to it, and the glazing around the eyes and lips really give it some life.
Thanks man! That means a lot coming from you.

Uroboros posted:

Agreed

SRM fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 28, 2016

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oathing: 2 treasure chests and two mimics and a hero, mostly from soda pop miniatures

Ledgem fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 29, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: Season 7 Sponsor Update! :siren:

KR Multicase are on board once again (for 2 Grand Prizes again)
Hawk Wargames are on board as well
Troll Trader/TT Combat have a verbal agreement
Wargames Tournaments have a verbal agreement
Games & Gears have a verbal agreement for monthly prizes

I will be in touch with all the other sponsors to see if they're happy to donate prizes again. Hopefully any orders that you guys and gals have placed with the sponsors have been accompanied by messages along the lines of "thank you for sponsoring the Something Awful Oath Thread contest!"

Also, I'm happy to announce that KR Multicase have confirmed that prizes are on their way to the participants of the "Paint Your KR Case" contest we did last year - the pictures of the finished cases will be on the KR Facebook page at some point: https://www.facebook.com/KR-Multicase-199053616777/?fref=ts so check there when you can!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Signal posted:

Laziest Oath Addition:
Blank base, to be used as a counter

Ledgem posted:

Oathing: 2 treasure chests and two mimics, mostly from soda pop miniatures

Oaths Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So here are the theme updates, the updated text is in italics. Let me know if these are clear or if I missed anything or anything jumps out at you! If you suggested something I mentioned, see below the rules, as I have some suggested new Achievements.

quote:

Challenges
Every month has its own theme, and every theme will have its own Theme Challenge and Technical Challenge related to the main theme. You only need to do one Challenge to earn your Challenge Point for the month. Doing both Challenges in a month will NOT give you extra points. Some months have alternate challenges for one or the other challenge, just choose whichever fits your needs/models/skills best and crack on! If you have any questions just ask.

May: Apropos of nothing...
technical challenge: paint a model in an 'old' painting style! Classic GW style with bright green rims? Perfect! Even better is if you can find a painting DVD or guide from way back when (we all have one kicking around, right?) and copy their (dated, limited) style as close as you can
theme challenge: paint the OLDEST model you have in your stack of models! Obviously we don't keep track of every model you have in your stack of unpainted models, but anything that is clearly 'old' will do

June: Summer’s here! Time to relax...
technical challenge: paint a model that is mostly skin - any color skin you like! The model (not counting weapon or base) should be at least 50-60% skin, so for example a Conan-style barbarian with tall boots, loincloth and bracers will probably count as at least 50% skin
theme challenge: paint a model that is relaxing in some way - either in a 'weapons down' sort of pose, not armed, actually relaxing, drinking, whatever, as long as it's not in a 'readied' stance!

July: Life's a beach!
technical challenge: use water effects of some type on your base, so that your model looks like it's just stepped out of the water - or it's just about to go in the water!
theme challenge: paint a model that is in some way related to water - it could be a mermaid, navy SEAL, fish, sharkman, boat, whatever you like!

August: Feeling hot! hot! hot! it’s the hottest time of the year!
technical challenge: OSL! Now it's time to PAINT a cool glow effect on your model! Fire, engine heat, glowing eyes, whatever you can think of
theme challenge: paint actual flames, smoke or something similar on your model

September: School's about to start - let’s celebrate the big yellow school bus!
technical challenge: paint a mostly YELLOW model! Yellow should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: paint a school bus-themed model! Alternatively, paint a model that has the classic math/science/geometry teacher stylings of tweed! Put plaid or tweed somewhere on your model

October: The month of horror movie releases and Halloween!
technical challenge: in the spirit of the "hidden threat" in classic suspense films (such as the mother/neighbor you'd never suspect, or the "evil twin"), paint a model with a very bright spotlight source of light! This is tricky because of the extreme brightness on one side of the model, and extreme darkness on the other side! Alternatively, paint a mostly BLACK model! Black should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: paint any type of scary monster, in any style you like! This can be something like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Alien, Cloverfield, a large doll, whatever!

November: Harvest Time! Oranges and yellows are the theme! ORRR go with Day of the Dead as your theme
technical challenge: your choice! paint orange and red leaves on your model OR paint some skulls (actual freehand paint 2D skulls, not just painted model skulls)
theme challenge: your choice! harvest time celebrations OR Day of the Dead (Google it)

December: Holly-Jolly Christmas-time, of course! (or Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Saturnalia or whatever) Red & Green, White or anything holiday-themed!
technical challenge: paint a mostly RED model! Red should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: something for the holidays, of course!

January: So C-C-Cold! it’s the middle of winter and my snot is frozen solid!
technical challenge: paint a mostly WHITE model! White should be at least 50% of the model, or more. You should have shading, mid-tones and highlighting
theme challenge: use snow effect type basing to enhance the cold effect of a model that is wrapped up for warmth

February: It's Oscar season!
technical challenge: in the spirit of Jerry Bruckheimer movies, let's see some explosions! Get creative, use OSL, zenithal type lighting and/or actual lighting!
theme challenge: paint a model that represents or is related to a movie (or TV show)! It doesn't have to be an actual model (e.g., you don't have to paint an actual Captain America or Superman model, but you can paint something in the Captain America or Superman theme & colors)

March: Spring is springing! It’s all GREEEEENNNN!!!
technical challenge: spring is about new beginnings, so take those old bitz and parts and make a model to paint! Yes, this is all about scratchbuilding and converting!
theme challenge: paint or model something on your model that represents new growth - it doesn’t have to be green necessarily, just representative of the theme of springtime

technical challenge: paint a DRAGON! (if all you have is sci-fi/40K stuff, something that flies and shoots will substitute just fine)
theme challenge: paint anything with a fantasy theme! Basically, anything with chain or plate armor, furs, fur, sword and/or dagger

Australians - YOU guys only are specifically allowed to swap around the themes to fit your seasonal weather, for example: January - Summer Holidays; February - Feeling Hot; and so on. PLEASE NOTE if you are swapping monthly themes so we can track who did what months if necessary.

These Achievements will be added to earn you a point:
#SquadGoals - paint a minimum of 4 related models in a month (or 2 28mm vehicle-size models or equivalent) - models must be related in some way, whether a tactical marine squad, Blood Bowl/Dreadball/Guild Ball team, group of Frostgrave adventurers or monsters, pack of gnolls or orcs to attack player characters, or something like that.
WIP photos - show a minimum of 3 Work In Progress photos of your model(s) after the Oath picture and before your Oath Complete picture (for a total of 5 photos
It's a Rescue! - earn an additional point for Oathing a model that's been neglected, half-painted and waiting to be completed. Tell us the story of why you've left this forlorn model by the wayside, and why you've picked this one to finish. When initially Oathing this model, state clearly that you are rescuing it. THIS IS THE ONLY MODEL YOU'RE ALLOWED TO OATH WITH MORE THAN ONE COLOR OF PAINT IN PLACE. Please note! This is separate and distinct from Save da Whales. Save Da Whales is a separate thing with its own rules, and importantly applies only to Oaths failed in Oath Season 7.

I'd like to add a Referral bonus competition of some sort as well. In the past I thought giving a point out for each person who says 'goon so-and-so referred me' but now I think it should be more along the lines of a contest, where if you refer someone and when they post their first Oath they mention you by name and Oath at least 3 times (maybe finishing at least once?) the referring goon gets put into a prize draw to win something from one of our sponsors. The rules would be something like this:
Referral Contest! To encourage new and past members to join us, YOU have been deputized - and you can win a fantastic prize! Bring in a new participant, or encourage a previous Oath Thread participant who Oathed 3 or less times in any single Oath Season from #4, #5 or #6 (I have access to the spreadsheets going back that far) to join us in our monthly painting endeavors! For each new or returning person who posts 3 Oaths during Season 7 (up to the end of April 2017), you will earn one entry in a prize draw at the end of the Season featuring something awesome from one of our prize sponsors! All your referred goon needs to do is say "goon BLANK referred me' in their first Oath post and we'll take care of the rest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

krushgroove posted:

theme challenge: paint anything with a fantasy theme! Basically, anything with chain or plate armor, furs, fur, sword and/or dagger

I like the idea but I'd name it 'WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?' :)

Maybe swap it with May so dragons can do double duty with Monster May-hem?

• Locked thread