Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

It could be that Chrollo still has the chain around his heart. The stipulation is that he can't use his Nen or he dies. But what if he's using someone else's Nen right now? Perhaps that's why he's doing all this Shonen explanation trope stuff, because he has to in order for the borrowed Nen to work.

It's for sure Abengane removed it. It was the entire reason he was in the Greed Island arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's for sure Abengane removed it. It was the entire reason he was in the Greed Island arc.

Or was he just there to tell Gon, Killua, and Biscuit how to not get blown up?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Or was he just there to tell Gon, Killua, and Biscuit how to not get blown up?

He's made contact with Chrollo for sure, the removal just happened off screen.

Gyges posted:

It could be that Chrollo still has the chain around his heart. The stipulation is that he can't use his Nen or he dies. But what if he's using someone else's Nen right now? Perhaps that's why he's doing all this Shonen explanation trope stuff, because he has to in order for the borrowed Nen to work.
Not likely, the condition was that Chrollo couldn't use any nen. This would include any ability summoned through Skill Thief because activating skill thief counts as using nen. The bookmark is also an ability created from nen so it would trigger the sword.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

Not likely, the condition was that Chrollo couldn't use any nen. This would include any ability summoned through Skill Thief because activating skill thief counts as using nen. The bookmark is also an ability created from nen so it would trigger the sword.

The other condition was that he no contact any of the Spiders, and since he clearly has Shalnark's ability (which Shalnark still had back when Chrollo got the chain), he's obviously made contact with them. And therefore lost his chain.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Been rereading the most recent chapter since it's so good. For once I'm glad an author put dessert before the main course.

Really though, this chapter sums up one of my favorite things about Hunter x Hunter: nen. It's just so fluid and flexible while still inhabiting a kind of thoughtful structure. The whole concept of conditions and limitations is brilliant, yet so simple I'm surprised nobody else thought of it before Togashi.

Togashi is straight-up one of best comic book writers in the world when it comes to fights. As someone who sincerely and earnestly enjoys a good fight on its own merits, I consider that high praise.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, vol. 33 is coming out in June in Japan.

Hoping Togashi can squeeze out 34 before seeing his shadow and giving us six more weeks of winter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's hard to tell if Togashi is a mentally deteriorating madman or a complete genius, or if there isn't any difference between the two.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chrollo's new power seemed really familiar and then I realized why I felt that way.

Kimblee from FMA also had tattoos that had symbols of the Sun and Moon, and he could use them to create explosions as well.

I wonder if it's an homage of sorts or if thing kind of stuff existed before.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I enjoy that in this world with magic chain powers, stretchy gum powers and shooting electricity out of your body, you can still get mad hosed up and killed by a big bug shooting you in the face with a gun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Chrollo's new power seemed really familiar and then I realized why I felt that way.

Kimblee from FMA also had tattoos that had symbols of the Sun and Moon, and he could use them to create explosions as well.

I wonder if it's an homage of sorts or if thing kind of stuff existed before.

I thought he was mocking the naruto handshake endgame.

brotato
May 14, 2013
RIP Chrollo and good riddance, he was always a boring character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

:ohdear:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I prefer the really bizarre author notes you see in jojo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, looks like the back problems theory is confirmed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He should seriously have his wife draw for him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He should seriously have his wifeburoson draw for him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He should seriously have his wife draw for him.

I think she might already be doing some of the drawing. The character designs seem to have gotten kind of Sailor Moon-ish lately.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I think she might already be doing some of the drawing. The character designs seem to have gotten kind of Sailor Moon-ish lately.

She definitely fixed up the drawings in the Chimera Ant arc, so that would make sense.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Coming up on Golden Week.

Post Pariston.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

So trustworthy... :swoon:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

No friends, I'm pretty sure he said Golden Week!
________________________________/

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
few things in this world are as golden as Pariston's smile

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I never understood why nobody liked the guy, especially when everybody liked the guy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm on episode 130 or 131 in the anime. Gon just found out Kite is already dead and can't be healed by Pitou (and had that horrible breakdown :( ). I was really impressed with the Netero fight, even if it wasn't a super long fight by any means. The planning and execution going into this whole battle is just really impressive. I'm wondering if we get to see Gon do any fighting. It looks like he's going to go nuclear on Pitou, but I can't quite tell at this point. I just hope he gets to do some crazy shounen stuff before the end of this arc, as we haven't really seen him do much (I think his last fight was the owl/bat ants).

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

:frogon:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm on episode 130 or 131 in the anime. Gon just found out Kite is already dead and can't be healed by Pitou (and had that horrible breakdown :( ). I was really impressed with the Netero fight, even if it wasn't a super long fight by any means. The planning and execution going into this whole battle is just really impressive. I'm wondering if we get to see Gon do any fighting. It looks like he's going to go nuclear on Pitou, but I can't quite tell at this point. I just hope he gets to do some crazy shounen stuff before the end of this arc, as we haven't really seen him do much (I think his last fight was the owl/bat ants).

:allears:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

One of the fun things about bungee gum is how he can attach things to other things, instead of just to himself, and control when that gum contracts. Could he use his Texture Surprise on his gum to hide it from nen-sight and set up traps?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just cause 3 is a hisoka simulator.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

FAT BATMAN posted:

One of the fun things about bungee gum is how he can attach things to other things, instead of just to himself, and control when that gum contracts. Could he use his Texture Surprise on his gum to hide it from nen-sight and set up traps?
He doesn't need to use Texture Surprise when he can just hide the magicky-bits. It's 'in' or something? Hisoka used it in the tower match when Gon and Killua were learning it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah but people can still see that using Gyo, I think.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TWIST FIST posted:

Yeah but people can still see that using Gyo, I think.

If this was a pen & paper rpg, one player would have to roll Gyo against the opponent's roll In. Whoever is stronger, the nen is revealed or stays hidden.

Nen combat isn't only which skill (hatsu) is better, you are supposed to use gyo/in/kou/ryu a dozen of times (more?) in just a few seconds in a fight. if you are better at the normal aura manipulation techniques because you are genius like Hisoka or Ging, you will have an advantage. Hisoka showed a great in on Kastro's fight and in/zetsu in the fight against Goth.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

If this was a pen & paper rpg, one player would have to roll Gyo against the opponent's roll In. Whoever is stronger, the nen is revealed or stays hidden.

That's not really how it's presented though. Unlike clashing auras when fighting, Gyo and En will always reveal aura being masked by In regardless of skill. It's just that most people don't use gyo on the eyes until they suspect something is up. (e.g. Uvo and the Hunter who runs the mafia's desk) since it lowers your defenses everywhere else. If what you say is the case, Killua, Zushi, and Gon would not have been able to see any of Hisoka's threads on that recording. Why they saw different numbers probably had more to do with overall observation skill than aura levels.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

That's not really how it's presented though. Unlike clashing auras when fighting, Gyo and En will always reveal aura being masked by In regardless of skill.

That's.... not quite true. We have seen that when they were learning Gyo, Killu, Gon and Zito? were seeing a different amount of the hidden Nen threads. While it's very possible that it just means "the Gyo wasn't complete", given Gyo is basically "how much you enhance your nen sense", that there was differences does kind of show that there can be more or less effective In and Gyo- and that Hisoka in that particular fight had a more effective In in some of the stuff he was doing than in some of the others.

However, what's very probable is that the cut-off point where you see most of every In is quite low, as In is probably harder than Gyo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo. Well , I got my wish. I only watched the next episode, but gon was super scary. I mean woo-hoo he beat pitou into a paste, but what's that going to do to him? And his loving arm! I can't process this.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That's what I was leaning towards. You have an incomplete Gyo which was what Zushi used. The completed Gyo which is what everyone else uses. And then you have your reaction time for activation Time for Gyo (I think moving aura around the body is called kyu). Once you can get aura focusing down you can use gyo and you will automatically be able to perceive anything g hidden with In. That'said consistent across the whole series. When you try to apply skill Checks where an opponent with a higher In score can outplay a weaker Gyo score it becomes something not similar to what is shown.

Also, an effect of Gyo is enhancing aura percepion. But any instance of gathering a larger than normal amount of aura of a specific body part, without using Ken or ko counseling as gyo. Eyes are just the most common area.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Nen combat isn't only which skill (hatsu) is better, you are supposed to use gyo/in/kou/ryu a dozen of times (more?) in just a few seconds in a fight. if you are better at the normal aura manipulation techniques because you are genius like Hisoka or Ging, you will have an advantage. Hisoka showed a great in on Kastro's fight and in/zetsu in the fight against Goth.

ok but the point is hisoka could potentially have a reason to use texture surprise to hide the gum strings instead of just in

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aaaaaaaaaaaaa http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hunter-x-Hunter/352---Troublesome?id=272293

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am dead now. togashi has killed me.