Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Droogie posted:

The way it stands at this very moment, the person or persons responsible for the deaths of 11 women, one of whom was pregnant, could either dead, imprisoned; or the person that some have come to know as The West Mesa Bone Collector could have another stash of women in shallow graves on the vast expanse of the west mesa.
:stare:

quote:

The West Mesa Bone Collector could be standing outside at night, looking over this very city, the moon rising above the Sandia Mountains to illuminate the lonely desert below.
... :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Droogie, I'm planning a trip out to the desert, mostly for stargazing purposes, either this summer or fall. I owe you a beer.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
that was a wonderful write up droogie, thankyou!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Thank you droogie, a great read.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Droogie posted:

Thus concludes, for now, the case of the West Mesa Murders.

Apologies in advance of the double-post, but I wanted to quickly follow up in a separate section a couple of bizarre and possibly true facts that didn’t fit into the narrative and also I promised some references.

The phone calls
There are a couple similar events that take place in the story that are bizarre and unsettling, and were mentioned once or twice in news reports, but never with enough facts to back up their appearance. I could never find anything to substantiate how true they are, and at the end of it, they could just be hosed up pranks. If they’re not, it’s even worse than that.

In 2010, a private investigator named George Walker got involved in the case and took out ads also asking for information related to the case and/or victims. During the same year he received at least three phone calls from someone either claiming to have information about the case or claiming to be the person that perpetrated the killings. There are also reports that there were similar emails sent to Walker. Nothing ever came of the communications, and they stopped as abruptly as they started.

Before the bodies were discovered and during the time it was just seperate missing persons cases, at least two families reportedly received abrupt telephone calls. One family was simply told that the woman was dead and buried, the other family receiving a call that told them that their daughter had been stabbed to death. There were no other similar communications that I’m aware of.

References, etc.

For those interested in seeing the big picture, here is a partial list of references, several of them branch off into further reading. The narrative I’ve been reading is presented as factually as I can, and it’s been pieced together from timelines, articles, and knowledge of a local to the city. Every effort has been taken to use reputable sources, or at least sources that are well-sourced themselves (for instance the Vice article is full of great details, but several details of the city’s geography is way wrong. Vice, am I right? :rolleyes: ) I really tried to stay away from details gathered from places like websleuths et al. unless it was something corroborated elsewhere, but I just made an effort to stay away from that altogether.
http://www.abqjournal.com/community-data/west-mesa-murders
http://krqe.com/2014/01/31/does-apd-have-a-suspect-in-the-west-mesa-murders/
http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/loc...72afe36127.html
http://www.vice.com/read/who-is-the-west-mesa-bone-collector-0000439-v21n9
https://www.cabq.gov/police/contact-the-police/west-mesa-homicide-investigation
http://www.abqjournal.com/715705/news/west-mesa-murders-seven-years-later.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Mesa_murders
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24prostitute.html
http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/522336metro12-19-06.htm
http://www.abqjournal.com/596139/news/headline-348.html
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3866295.shtml#.VyL5XNUrLnD
https://caselookup.nmcourts.gov/caselookup/app
http://www.nmsoh.org/shirm_jennifer_lynn_us.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_New_Mexico

Who am I to go through all this effort? At the risk of exposing myself to goons, I’m a 30 year old Albuquerque native and Native American. I consider myself an artist, and I work with animals as I’ve laid out in a few posts. Like many of you I share a morbid fascination in mysteries and true crime. Both me and my wife suffer from the “I know who this show is referring to before they reveal who the killer is” syndrome that someone mentioned a few pages back.

I am willing to answer any questions about the case that may arise either here or in PM to the best of my ability. This thread has been one of my favorites on the forums, and I just wanted to honor all of the posters that have kept me captivated over hundreds of pages with something I could contribute that I hadn’t seen here, and I’ve been working the graveyard (ha) shift for the last six months, so I’ve had lots of time to think about this particular narrative and how to present it, along with unique opportunities to add some original content in the form of photographs.

If any locals or anyone passing through the Duke City ever wants to grab a beer and talk weird weird desert stuff, PM me and we’ll see.

Thank you all for coming on this hosed up, unsolved journey with me. If any updates become available to any aspect of this case, I will post about it in the future here or in whatever the next incarnation of the thread may be. And on a final note, please read Dead Mountain before any of you decide to post about the Dyatlov Pass incident again. It’s got fantastic theories grounded in reality.

There really is nothing worse to imagine than something bad happening to a pregnant woman

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the great write up and helping keep the thread on track, Droogie. If I'm ever in the area I'll try to remember to get you a beer. :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Droogie, that was amazing. I had no idea of a lot of this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fantastic write up. :bravo:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Excellent work :golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That was glorious writing, Droogie. If there's still an independent newspaper near you, you might try pitching this as a story or essay, or sending it to a Southwestern magazine, literary or otherwise.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm only going to echo what everyone else is saying, Droogie. Your writing style is absolutely riveting.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm only going to echo what everyone else is saying, Droogie. Your writing style is absolutely riveting.
Seriously. You should do more write-ups for this thread!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You suck, Droogie. Your writing is awful.

Okay that's not true. It's amazing. I'm still making my way through it but it's completely riveting. Just wanted to be the inevitable dissenting SA voice.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Droogie that was quality. You could work for Vice, The Atlantic, etc. You're good at this.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Truly thank you to everyone for the compliments and for following along. To be honest, this is the most I've every posted in like 12 years of reading the forums outside of SASS every year. I tend to consider myself an unsuccessful artist more than a writer, but I may find something to write about in the future. I've just had a lot of time to myself to write and research, but I'll be mercifully spending my last night on graveyard shift tonight.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
You'll have a third beer from me, Droogie. Very nice work.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Droogie posted:

Thank you all for coming on this hosed up, unsolved journey with me. If any updates become available to any aspect of this case, I will post about it in the future here or in whatever the next incarnation of the thread may be. And on a final note, please read Dead Mountain before any of you decide to post about the Dyatlov Pass incident again. It’s got fantastic theories grounded in reality.

No Droogie, Thank you.

(Because it hasn't been said recently)

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was glorious writing, Droogie. If there's still an independent newspaper near you, you might try pitching this as a story or essay, or sending it to a Southwestern magazine, literary or otherwise.

Ditto. This is a good write up, Droogie, very compelling reading, lots of great local detail you don't get reading newspaper articles or Wikipedia, just great and well written.

And as a constant thread reader/lurker, I'd like to thank Droogie and everybody who has done long stories for the thread. Even if you aren't getting a lot of thanks for your writing every time you update, the lurkers are reading and appreciating your posts (and I know I'm reluctant to clutter up the thread with posts that are nothing but "Thanks, this is great, I want more!" because other readers might not like that.) I check this thread everyday and love finding something new from any of the long posters.

Thanks, guys, and keep 'em coming!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Filox posted:

Ditto. This is a good write up, Droogie, very compelling reading, lots of great local detail you don't get reading newspaper articles or Wikipedia, just great and well written.

And as a constant thread reader/lurker, I'd like to thank Droogie and everybody who has done long stories for the thread. Even if you aren't getting a lot of thanks for your writing every time you update, the lurkers are reading and appreciating your posts (and I know I'm reluctant to clutter up the thread with posts that are nothing but "Thanks, this is great, I want more!" because other readers might not like that.) I check this thread everyday and love finding something new from any of the long posters.

Thanks, guys, and keep 'em coming!

This times a million. This longform was a thank you to everyone that has put in effort and made me so interested in all these pieces. Too weird to bring back things from a hundred pages back or more, but this is my thanks. There are some very talented storytellers here and I truly admire the writing here, and I wrote this out because I've been so inspired by you all. I'll be back to lurking in no time. I hope I come across something else I can do justice at some point.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Sad and chilling story, beautifully presented. Thoogie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Droogie you should write a book about this. You have a talent for writing about this sort of barbarity.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Droogie you should write a book about this. You have a talent for writing about this sort of barbarity.

And a drive to do your own research.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I've been away for a while and spent more hours than I should have catching up on the thread. Thanks a lot to Droogie for a great write up. You really hit the right tone and balance of info. Would like to read more like this.

On Dyatlov Pass, I couldn't find a link (if there was one) hyperlinked to the book title. There are three currently available factual books in English, so please let us know which one you mean. I started a DP thread because I didn't want to bore people in this thread but the thread died. :ghost: I guess it is somewhere in the archives.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Droogie, I've only just now started reading your posts, but I already have to chime in and tell you that you really have a knack for this type of writing. As others have said, you've got a drive to do your own research, an obvious interest in the topic and the literary flair to pull it off. If you really enjoy it as much as you seem to, you should seriously consider looking into getting your writings published one way or another, because with a bit of editing here and there it's definitely good enough.

Keep it up.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Droogie, you mentioned being Native- I'm curious, was there a media disconnect similar to the Canadian Highway of Tears murders? Where local/Native news sources might have been like, "holy poo poo, we've got a serial killer," but because the victims were nonwhite the mainstream media didn't really give a poo poo?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

On Dyatlov Pass, I couldn't find a link (if there was one) hyperlinked to the book title. There are three currently available factual books in English, so please let us know which one you mean. I started a DP thread because I didn't want to bore people in this thread but the thread died. :ghost: I guess it is somewhere in the archives.

Sorry, here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mountain-Untold-Dyatlov-Incident/dp/1452112746

My wife got it for me a couple years ago. It's an excellent read, and the takeaway from the narrative is that they literally picked the worst possible place to set up camp, and a perfect storm of placement and well, storm, ensued.

RNG posted:

Droogie, you mentioned being Native- I'm curious, was there a media disconnect similar to the Canadian Highway of Tears murders? Where local/Native news sources might have been like, "holy poo poo, we've got a serial killer," but because the victims were nonwhite the mainstream media didn't really give a poo poo?

There really was a sense of panic in the air and media. Look at the Colorado suspect, Kimball. He's considered a serial killer with 4 deaths, three recovered bodies.
As soon as the third or fourth body was recovered here, the media and locals started saying, "Hey, this is some serious serial killer poo poo of there are multiple bodies." The police stayed quiet for months and when pressed about it, they would frequently shrug and release a statement that would say something like "It's just too early to say the serial killer words, guys!" Later as more and more bodies were recovered, the police were saying poo poo like "He look here, fellas, these bodies have been here for a while now, so we're not concerned that there's a serial killer on the loose, look how long it took us to find this!"

To this day APD doesn't like to ever mention serial killer, instead opting for "open murder investigation(s)" and the ilk.

Droogie has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Apr 30, 2016

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Edit: accidental double post.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Droogie posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mountain-Untold-Dyatlov-Incident/dp/1452112746

My wife got it for me a couple years ago. It's an excellent read, and the takeaway from the narrative is that they literally picked the worst possible place to set up camp, and a perfect storm of placement and well, storm, ensued.

Indeed it is a good book. However, those interested should also read the Lobatchev book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyatlov-Pass-Keeps-Its-Secret-ebook/dp/B00EW7DKJU
Ignore the cover, it is quite a sensible book. It also has a lot of translations of the original investigation and provides data that Eicher doesn't have. There is a third book, which I haven't read but am told is not that good.

E: Here is a review of the Eichar book:

http://www.spiked-online.com/review_of_books/article/dyatlov-pass-a-chilling-mystery-solved/16853#.VyPttvldU5k

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Apr 30, 2016

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Droogie posted:

This times a million. This longform was a thank you to everyone that has put in effort and made me so interested in all these pieces. Too weird to bring back things from a hundred pages back or more, but this is my thanks. There are some very talented storytellers here and I truly admire the writing here, and I wrote this out because I've been so inspired by you all. I'll be back to lurking in no time. I hope I come across something else I can do justice at some point.

Fantastic writing and a worthy tribute. Write again if you're inspired, you've got a real talent.

This might be a good time to remind Kermit we're still waiting for our Ghost Planes story. You promised :colbert:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The saddest thing is that there's only 1 guy working that case now. So often there's a flood at the start, and then just 1 detective working it on his free time as the years pass, trying to give some justice. :smith:

drat good work Droogie, drat good work.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I swear, it's a miracle APD gets anything done right. The police department in the town of 10k people I grew up in probably has a better solve rate on murders. I've lived here for six years and I love it but there's a reason I never bother calling in probable gunshots. I live on the far east end of the East Central Corridor and there's honestly no point because nobody will find anything if I do report it.

Droogie, your job and my volunteer life slightly overlap. If we ever meet we can talk about dealings with feral cats as well as creepy poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait what value does Blea's ability to appeal even have? I mean he's obviously never ever going to successfully appeal, right? Is it just that sliver of hope no matter how crazy unlikely that he possibly wouldn't want to let go of?

Could it be that the killer is...YOU DROOGIE
Dunn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Just kiddin. Thanks for the desert spooks. Hope your dog wounds feel better.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LivesInGrey posted:

I swear, it's a miracle APD gets anything done right. The police department in the town of 10k people I grew up in probably has a better solve rate on murders. I've lived here for six years and I love it but there's a reason I never bother calling in probable gunshots. I live on the far east end of the East Central Corridor and there's honestly no point because nobody will find anything if I do report it.
Oh hey I lived near there.

And I was going to say, it's not like anyone expects a whole fuckload of competence from APD at this point.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Thanks so much Droogie. Echoing, yet again the kudos for your writing style. You really should consider it more, as you're very good. It's not a gift everyone has.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The boat of those kids who disappeared off the coast of Florida has been found (again).

Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, both 14, took a small fishing boat out on July 24th, 2015 and were never seen again. The search for them made national news last year and the Coast Guard shortly found their boat but not the kids.

Then a storm hit before the boat was recovered and it vanished again.

This week, the boat was located near Bermuda by a Norwegian freighter. It was heavily damaged but they were able to find Austin's iPhone inside.

Apple has agreed to help the family try to recover data off the phone but investigators also announced that Snapchat records say that Austin sent a final message to friends:

quote:

"we're f'd."

Why send that message? Engine trouble? Bad weather? Lost? Some of their family think it could be kidnapping...

quote:

The FBI's involvement began in September, when Austin's stepfather, Nick Korniloff, contacted the FBI and a Fish and Wildlife Commission criminal investigator saying he believed the boys were abducted, according to the file.

Pamela Cohen's attorney, Guy Bennett Rubin, told WPBF-TV of West Palm Beach that photographs of the marooned vessel, which was recovered by a Norwegian supply ship on March 18, prove that "the boat was disabled intentionally."

The photographs show the ignition switch and the battery — both of which were in hard-to-access parts of the boat — in the "off" position."

quote:

The dinghy's battery and its ignition were both turned off — but they are in a “very difficult-to-get-to” spot in the boat and couldn't be maneuvered by wind, currents or other natural forces, Rubin said, suggesting someone intentionally switched them off.

“If the storm came and capsized the boat, the battery switch and the key would not be in those positions,” he said. “We now know the boat was disabled before the storm hit. So we don't know whether foul play was involved or not.”

The simple answer would be that they were somehow washed overboard and a pilot who just came forward backs that up. He says he thinks he saw one of the boys floating off the coast of Georgia.

quote:

Bobby Smith says he thinks he spotted one of the boys just to the east of St. Marys, Ga., two days after they went missing.

Smith, of MidCoast Aviation Services, based in Reidsville, Ga., said he radioed for help but lost sight of the boy and wasn't able to spot the debris again. A subsequent Coast Guard search could not verify the sighting.

Smith's account was described in a 100-plus page report released this week by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He also described what he saw in an interview with the Sun Sentinel.

"It was obvious it was a person lying on their back," Smith said in a phone interview Thursday. "When we circled, both arms came up. It was a shock."

Smith said his granddaughter took a picture of the object from an altitude of 3,000 feet. The photograph shows a blurry white mass in the water.

Here is the photo:

It is hard to tell anything from the photo, but it is something even if it couldn't be located later.

For now there are no hard answers and the parents of Austin and Perry continue to hope.

quote:

Before the boat capsized, Cohen sent a “love you” text message to his mom — but the message cut off before he could say where he was.

“Mom, it’s Perry. My iPad is dead, I'll text you in a little. Love you,” he wrote.

Then, he added, “I was going to sleep at,,,” without completing the message.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait what value does Blea's ability to appeal even have? I mean he's obviously never ever going to successfully appeal, right? Is it just that sliver of hope no matter how crazy unlikely that he possibly wouldn't want to let go of?

Could it be that the killer is...YOU DROOGIE
Dunn dunnnn dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Just kiddin. Thanks for the desert spooks. Hope your dog wounds feel better.

I put in there with the thought that most killers are pretty proud of their work. Kimball, who will likely die in Colorado prison says he has no connection, and I sort of believe him. Blea has the possibility of losing everything by admitting anything to do with the case. Imagine that you had the slim chance of parole for being a god drat monster, I doubt you'd want to boast that you had committed a busload of murders not pinned on anyone yet.

LivesinGrey posted:

Droogie, your job and my volunteer life slightly overlap. If we ever meet we can talk about dealings with feral cats as well as creepy poo poo.

You work in the TNR circles? that's crazy!

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
I moved from Kansas to Carlsbad, NM in November for a job and I'm looking forward to learning more about the weird, creepy mysteries of my new home. Thanks goons for the interesting posts.

P.s. I work outdoors in the Chihuahuan desert :gonk:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

I moved from Kansas to Carlsbad, NM in November for a job and I'm looking forward to learning more about the weird, creepy mysteries of my new home. Thanks goons for the interesting posts.

Are you a "heat studier" or something?

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
I'm a biologist for an environmental consulting company. We make sure the oil and gas companies down here don't impact any endangered species, map drainages, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Erethizon_dorsatum posted:

The best advice I can give you is bring a second shirt to work and then you can change on your lunch break!