Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
How is that sword not utter trash with 3 damage types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I thought it was a good fight, aside from a few things that irked me (Elder Prince having zero recovery frames after his super attack if you're within sword range). At least I was fighting the boss more than the loving camera, which is more than I can say about King of Storms.

Yeah I've found the camera to be an issue a lot in this game. Maybe it's just the higher frequency of large, fast moving enemies compared to the previous games, but it just seems to have a really hard time picking a sensible angle, assuming it doesn't just break your target lock entirely for no reason.

You'd think after five games they'd have worked out how to handle the lock on camera but apparently not.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The lock on range really bothers me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I've found the camera to be an issue a lot in this game. Maybe it's just the higher frequency of large, fast moving enemies compared to the previous games, but it just seems to have a really hard time picking a sensible angle, assuming it doesn't just break your target lock entirely for no reason.

You'd think after five games they'd have worked out how to handle the lock on camera but apparently not.

Even unlocked is miserable on more than a few bosses. Going unlocked on King of Storms had me frequently looking at the interior textures of a dragon's neck or having my screen covered with feathers. The hardest part of phase 1 is just trying to loving see what move Nameless is about to do. They really need to play a Legend of Zelda game and figure it the gently caress out, already!

NTT posted:

It has 501 AR at +10 Raw, which mostly compensates for split damage being real bad. You can also use weapon enchants/resins on it, the same of which can't be said for most spellcaster weapons that actually scale with their primary stat.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Despite having 3 damage types, all 3 are high enough to not be almost completely blocked by flat reduction, unlike the dancer's swords, and it has fairly reasonable stat requirements so using it as a raw weapon isn't too bad. Not to mention despite having two innate elemental damage types, you can still buff it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you summon my redsign and then heal during the fight I will immediately black crystal out while crying about dishonorable knaves.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Like, why would you summon a duel guy if you don't want to duel?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NTT posted:

The Drakeblood sword? Just really high AR making up for the split damage, and it's buffable and infusable. It's amazing Raw on an Int or Faith build for that reason: make it Raw to boost the physical damage, then buff it with magic or lightning damage on top of what it already has.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I thought I had the toguro brothers beat until I realized I'd been reading the health bars wrong and couldn't get around lorian's fat rear end fast enough to finish the job

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Buschmaki posted:

Like, why would you summon a duel guy if you don't want to duel?

Lol i always heal in front of red signers/invaders. Get hosed if you want to stop my progress.

Used the Estoc in the Catacombs, can confirm, it does less damage per hit but owns as far as stunlocks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're not trying to stop your progress if they're a red signer though. You have to activate it to let them in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Used the Estoc in the Catacombs, can confirm, it does less damage per hit but owns as far as stunlocks.

You want to use some kind of blunt weapon in the Catatombs like a Mace. Strike damage will cause skels to immediately shatter, and you can chain knockdown most of the tougher enemies like Carthus Swordsmen easily.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

You want to use some kind of blunt weapon in the Catatombs like a Mace. Strike damage will cause skels to immediately shatter, and you can chain knockdown most of the tougher enemies like Carthus Swordsmen easily.

Was gonna ask about this. I noted it is doing less damage here than before, so yeah thats probably it. IF you CRUSH them, do they come back at all? They seem to come back one time and gotta be put down again.

IronicDongz posted:

They're not trying to stop your progress if they're a red signer though. You have to activate it to let them in.

True but you came to my house, I'm gonna drink.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Was gonna ask about this. I noted it is doing less damage here than before, so yeah thats probably it. IF you CRUSH them, do they come back at all? They seem to come back one time and gotta be put down again.

There are three types of skeletons in the Catacombs: white-eyed skeletons (which will revive once, unless killed by a Blessed weapon); red-eyed skeletons (which will not revive); and empty-eyed skeletons (same as red-eyed). It can sometimes be hard to see the white eye glow, so the best way to tell is if you gain souls from killing them or not. If you don't hear the soul gain noise after they drop, they're going to revive.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The point is generally when you use a red sign it's because you actively want to PvP, and most people have a silent agreement not to use estus in these 1v1 red duels because the host has 2x as much as the summoned phantoms which just makes it impossible to win if you're not dramatically better than the other player.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

NTT posted:

The drakeblood? It does a lot with all three types, so it can still punch through defense. If you buff it, you push it well past the point at which the split damage matters. I can hit 952 AR on a raw drakeblood greatsword with both clutch rings, deep protection and sacred oath from the sunlight straight sword. 927 is more realistic, because I'm not going to wear the magic clutch ring. That damage on top of low stamina consumption and a great moveset, it's a really good weapon.

If you mean the dancer's enchanted swords, then they are utter trash, as far as I can tell. Maybe when upgraded and at a high stats they become good, but they're just awful if you get them early. They're super stylish and using them makes for a fun challenge run, though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Einwand posted:

The point is generally when you use a red sign it's because you actively want to PvP, and most people have a silent agreement not to use estus in these 1v1 red duels because the host has 2x as much as the summoned phantoms which just makes it impossible to win if you're not dramatically better than the other player.

Also because it makes the fight take forever.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Generally if I'm summoning red phantoms I only use estus if they do, or if I'm just messing around. I summon red phantoms to practice parrying on. I'm terrible at it so I heal up and keep trying, but I also don't actually riposte anybody when I'm doing this.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jastiger posted:

True but you came to my house, I'm gonna drink.

you invited them lol.

it would be cool if all summon signs were the same color so if you wanted help you had to play roulette.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TacMan posted:

Generally if I'm summoning red phantoms I only use estus if they do, or if I'm just messing around. I summon red phantoms to practice parrying on. I'm terrible at it so I heal up and keep trying, but I also don't actually riposte anybody when I'm doing this.

Honestly, I only use Estus if the invader does even if I get invaded, as long as there's only one invader. Or if the invader runs behind enemies, then I'll use Estus, too. If the invader makes it clear they just want a straight-up fight, I'll give it to them.

GulagDolls posted:

it would be cool if all summon signs were the same color so if you wanted help you had to play roulette.

This is why I wish Mound-Maker signs were white.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jastiger posted:

Lol i always heal in front of red signers/invaders. Get hosed if you want to stop my progress.

If you invade or are invaded it's fine to use whatever scumbag tactics it takes to win, but if you're willingly engaging in PvP with 6 more heals than I have and you use them it's the worst thing in the world.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Einwand posted:

It's great if you manage to beat them after they drink so much anyway - especially if you don't estus yourself the whole fight. But still it's really lame and it just annoys me when people summon me into their world for 'honorable' PVP and they start estus-ing. I wish I could message people without being friends with them on Steam so I could ask them if they just want to practice techniques or something. I wouldn't have a problem with estus in a friendly practice/sparring session.

Also, I get loving insane damage on my ripostes with a pickaxe (heavy +9) and hornet ring. We're talking ~1300 damage easily. I also wear the Leo ring because of thrusting damage and hit-trading, and I was wondering if there might be a bug where the leo ring works on critical attacks?

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Is there a weapon scaling calculator floating around somewhere? Want to decide between a few weapon options for my next play through as a pyromancer and need a good, decently fast option that scales well with INT and Faith.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can see how thats frustrating, but I"m just salty because of people invading me when i'm trying to advance. If you and I are evenly matched ok sure. If you come in with mega PVP build and 30 levels on me, i'm gonna drank.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I can see how thats frustrating, but I"m just salty because of people invading me when i'm trying to advance. If you and I are evenly matched ok sure. If you come in with mega PVP build and 30 levels on me, i'm gonna drank.

Yeah, but we're talking about red signs on the ground. If you activate one, you're inviting someone to come over for a duel, and people generally expect a fair fight in that case. If someone actively invades you, then drink all you want, because they're indicating they're gonna play dirty, too. If you summon someone through a red sign on the ground, though, you're saying you want a fair duel.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Jastiger posted:

They can't have 30 levels on you, if anything they are lower.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but we're talking about red signs on the ground. If you activate one, you're inviting someone to come over for a duel, and people generally expect a fair fight in that case. If someone actively invades you, then drink all you want, because they're indicating they're gonna play dirty, too. If you summon someone through a red sign on the ground, though, you're saying you want a fair duel.

Yeah but how many times have you hit a red sign to find out Darth Vader is coming through when you're still Episode 3 Luke. Draaaaank.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Regarding raw, it remains the best choice on weapons with low stat requirements or low scaling even in the late game if you're not increasing strength or dex, but even if you never go past base requirements, another infusion will beat out raw on a lot of weapons. The Carthus curved sword, for example, has equal AR with sharp or raw by +4 at base requirements, and by +5 sharp is better. The washing pole is similar. But the drakeblood greatsword is a good bit better raw than with other infusions at base stats because its scaling is rather weak.

I thought I'd elaborate on this a little bit because it's not obvious exactly how raw vs. scaling weapons work; basically, raw adds 30% of your weapon's level 0 base damage to the current damage, and totally removes all scaling. That's all it does. It does not give you any more additional damage on a higher level weapon, even though scaling weapons get both improved scaling and higher base damage which makes the resulting +damage from scaling increase as well.

So although at very low levels or with specific non-scaling weapons raw is good, it mostly sucks. A raw broadsword or rear end makes the early game nice and easy and then you can upgrade to a real weapon, even if your stats are still low.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Yeah but how many times have you hit a red sign to find out Darth Vader is coming through when you're still Episode 3 Luke. Draaaaank.

I only use red signs when I'm ready for a duel :shrug: If I lose and neither of us drank Estus, I lost fair and square.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Jastiger posted:

roll roll roll roll drink r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 r1 roll

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I just had a thought: The Morion sword's red tearstone effect should still apply even if you're just offhanding it, and from earlier in the thread, it does stack with the ring. So what you you combined both with an UGS of some description? What kind of bonkers damage could you get out of a single hit once the red tearstone effects are active?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Obligatum VII posted:

I just had a thought: The Morion sword's red tearstone effect should still apply even if you're just offhanding it, and from earlier in the thread, it does stack with the ring. So what you you combined both with an UGS of some description? What kind of bonkers damage could you get out of a single hit once the red tearstone effects are active?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kT_lZbRs4

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ProfessorBooty posted:

It's great if you manage to beat them after they drink so much anyway - especially if you don't estus yourself the whole fight. But still it's really lame and it just annoys me when people summon me into their world for 'honorable' PVP and they start estus-ing. I wish I could message people without being friends with them on Steam so I could ask them if they just want to practice techniques or something. I wouldn't have a problem with estus in a friendly practice/sparring session.

Also, I get loving insane damage on my ripostes with a pickaxe (heavy +9) and hornet ring. We're talking ~1300 damage easily. I also wear the Leo ring because of thrusting damage and hit-trading, and I was wondering if there might be a bug where the leo ring works on critical attacks?

The hornet ring gives a massive amount of damage to ripostes, my Gundyr's halberd was generally doing around 1200 damage at +5 on most people with 40/40. Looking at it, a pickaxe would likely have more AR than my halberd does so I could easily see you getting more damage with a heavy pickaxe. Hornet ring basically makes ripostes into autokills on most weapons.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ProfessorBooty posted:

IIRC in at least one of the previous souls games there were weapons with hidden damage bonuses on ripostes and/or backstabs based on which animation the weapon uses so it might be something like that? This may be totally wrong, I only half-remember what I'm talking about. Also thrust resistance does tend to be a bit lower. How much AR do you have with that thing and are you using the hornet ring?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jastiger posted:

Then git gud. Until then, stop summoning dark spirits, because all you're doing is annoying yourself and the person you invited into your house for an honourable duel.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Heh thats actually pretty funny.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

Then git gud. Until then, stop summoning dark spirits, because all you're doing is annoying yourself and the person you invited into your house for an honourable duel.

I should come clean, I have never hit a red sign in this game. I only do it when I"m ready as you guys say. But I DO totally drink, I'll freely admit. I know people hate it and in DS2 I got all sorts of nasty messages, but..welp. I'm making up for my lack of understanding of PVP with tons of sweet sweet estus.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Around when should I be taking Fire off of my Uchigatana? I'm currently sitting at 21 DEX. I don't know if that's a lot for where I am, but I just got to Crucifixion Woods.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

The Ithiryll Straight Sword is good at looking cool, and bad at actually dealing damage. Any other straight sword will do you much better in the long run.

Frostbite is a completely useless effect as well. It does a bit of damage and that's about all. I don't think you can even trigger it in pve on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

WELL THEN. I'm gonna go see if I can manage to surprise one-shot people in PvP later. That'd be funny.