Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Oddly enough the only thing that makes the thing get warm is Facebook?

I just watched a fullscreen youtube video for ~20minutes and its cool to the touch.

E: like i offered before, i have brew installed and the M7 chip. If you want me to test compiling something just tell me the command(s) (not rm -rf, jackass)

How about if you load up Google Maps? It's bizarre. On my 2013 rMBP pretty much everything goes wonderfully, until I load up Google Maps and CoconutBattery starts telling me I'm using 40W and the laptop gets toasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
For the screenwriter asking about the retina MB. It's got more than enough power to juggle a writing program and research materials. The screen is far superior to the MBA, even for text, which has been my only real issue with the Air. I really loved it in every way except the keyboard. At first, I thought it was fine. It was when I sat down and tried to actually do a writing session that things went south. I'm frustrated in about fifteen minutes and my fingers are hurting after about a half hour. There's no way I'm going to be able to pump out four or five thousand words on a marathon work day on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are you guys running your rMB's at the recommended resolution or cranking it up?

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Are you guys running your rMB's at the recommended resolution or cranking it up?

I use 1680x1050.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

1680x1050 good
1920x1200 also good, but only if you need the extra room

why make everything extra small if you're only increasing unused space on the screen?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skim Milk posted:

1680x1050 good
1920x1200 also good

On the 12" model?

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
I thought the default resolution was fine. Text seemed to be a little bit larger than on my MBA 11 and far more clear. I had to remote in to some machines at work via logmein and it "felt" like I had plenty of screen real estate.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

On the 12" model?

reading is hard

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Housh posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a refurb iPad for working with PDFs and reading comic books. Is there much of a difference between Air and Air 2?
Twice the RAM and Touch ID. I'd definitely get the 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Plus split screen apps and picture in picture video.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Plus split screen apps and picture in picture video.

Air one does picture in picture.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is it easy to replace my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" hark disk with an SSD? The machine is still really snappy otherwise but I can hear the HD churning away and it seems to be the main thing slowing it down. Also how much of a pain in the rear end is it to upgrade the GPU chip?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sad Panda posted:

How about if you load up Google Maps? It's bizarre. On my 2013 rMBP pretty much everything goes wonderfully, until I load up Google Maps and CoconutBattery starts telling me I'm using 40W and the laptop gets toasty.

Are you just loading the website up in Safari? Or is there an app? I'll test either one for you tonight.

Bob Morales posted:

I think I do 14 something by 9? I forget the exact setting, but for me I like the nice clear retina text and just use Expose to switch apps.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

On the 12" model?

1920x1200 is pushing it as far as readability goes for me, but 1680x1050 is just about perfect. I've heard some some people say text isn't as sharp as on the default resolutions but it looks just as good to me. I guess my eyes fall in the sweet spot where they're good enough to read everything but not good enough to see the aliasing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MZ posted:

Is it easy to replace my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" hark disk with an SSD? The machine is still really snappy otherwise but I can hear the HD churning away and it seems to be the main thing slowing it down. Also how much of a pain in the rear end is it to upgrade the GPU chip?

Easy. Pop the glass off with a credit card or your finger nails, use a T10 driver to remove the screen, then stick in the SSD of your choice. Only tricky part you have to get is the temperature sensor so the fan won't go nuts. you can also get a dual hard drive kit from iFixIt (SSD + HD)

GPU Chip...you'd have to install a whole new motherboard which isn't that hard, just expensive.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

MZ posted:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2428+Hard+Drive+Replacement/5954

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna go with an iPad air 2. Has anyone gotten a refurb from apple? I figure with the money I save I can get more storage space or a swanky smart case.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Housh posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna go with an iPad air 2. Has anyone gotten a refurb from apple? I figure with the money I save I can get more storage space or a swanky smart case.

Refurbs from Apple are excellent, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference from new, except that the box isn't quite as nice. You get the same warranty, as well.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Housh posted:

My 2009 MBP was a refurb and still going strong.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Housh posted:

This is not The iPad Thread.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

yoyomama posted:

My new rmbp is on its way, so I'm trying to figure out how much I can sell my current one for on SAMart. Does $800 seem reasonable for a late-2013 13" rmbp? It works fine, no real cosmetic issues. I've seen these prices on eBay, but I don't feel like going through auctioning it.

Seems a bit high to me. I bought one a month ago on eBay with the 2.5ghz i5, 8gb ram and 250gb ssd for $650.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Seems a bit high to me. I bought one a month ago on eBay with the 2.5ghz i5, 8gb ram and 250gb ssd for $650.

gently caress. Welp, I figured it depreciated, but I guess it's more than I thought.

On the plus side, I finally got my new rmbp after OWC delaying it for ages without any notice. Bad side, the screen glitches and freezes after a few minutes of use (even after a few OS X clean installs and PRAM reset), so I get to go to the Genius Bar for the first time. I thought getting an Apple refurb would be a good bet, but not this time. Next time I just order direct form Apple, discounts and no tax be damned.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

yoyomama posted:

On the plus side, I finally got my new rmbp after OWC delaying it for ages without any notice. Bad side, the screen glitches and freezes after a few minutes of use (even after a few OS X clean installs and PRAM reset), so I get to go to the Genius Bar for the first time. I thought getting an Apple refurb would be a good bet, but not this time. Next time I just order direct form Apple, discounts and no tax be damned.

But getting it from OWC isn't getting an Apple refurb right?

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

alkanphel posted:

But getting it from OWC isn't getting an Apple refurb right?

On OWC's site, it's listed as an Apple refurb. When I got it, it was sealed and in an apple refurb box just like the last one I bought, so it looks legit (I did double check, and it has the Apple 1 year warranty as well). I'm not sure of the logistics of it, but I don't think I got scammed in that regard. That said, I do consider it a mistake to have bought it from them, I wouldn't do it again.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Will the lower spec 15" rMBP handle Visual Studio on Windows 7 or 10 in a virtual box pretty well? I currently have a mid 2012 13 inch MBP with the dual core i7 and 16gb of ram and it sucks major poo poo in that particular scenario. I need to upgrade and want to keep the Mac but I need to use Visual Studio 2015 extensively and don't want to use boot camp.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Why not use bootcamp though, if you care about performance.. that's the way...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yoyomama posted:

My new rmbp is on its way, so I'm trying to figure out how much I can sell my current one for on SAMart. Does $800 seem reasonable for a late-2013 13" rmbp? It works fine, no real cosmetic issues. I've seen these prices on eBay, but I don't feel like going through auctioning it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=2013%20macbook%20pro%20retina&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Those are all the sold listings on eBay. You didn't mention the specs so find a few similar to yours and come up with a price.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rally posted:

Will the lower spec 15" rMBP handle Visual Studio on Windows 7 or 10 in a virtual box pretty well? I currently have a mid 2012 13 inch MBP with the dual core i7 and 16gb of ram and it sucks major poo poo in that particular scenario. I need to upgrade and want to keep the Mac but I need to use Visual Studio 2015 extensively and don't want to use boot camp.

Yes. My 2012 15-inch rMBP does it with aplomb. Remember, the 15-inch models get quad-core CPUs, while the 13-inch models all have dual-core chips.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Now I almost feel bad for cancelling my 2015 Macbook and instead getting a refurbished 15" rMBP 2.2GHz with 16GB of RAM (2014 model, allegedly manufactured less than a month before I ordered it). Oh well, I still think it's a super duper laptop, and I actually have used the integrated HDMI and USB ports... Mainly the HDMI because I can't justify an Apple TV just to get the rare iTunes video purchase onto a TV without jangling with some DRM remover software, for which my previous Go To was a Windows machine that I still kept iTunes 10.3 on for Requiem.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kuroshi posted:

Now I almost feel bad for cancelling my 2015 Macbook and instead getting a refurbished 15" rMBP 2.2GHz with 16GB of RAM (2014 model, allegedly manufactured less than a month before I ordered it). Oh well, I still think it's a super duper laptop, and I actually have used the integrated HDMI and USB ports... Mainly the HDMI because I can't justify an Apple TV just to get the rare iTunes video purchase onto a TV without jangling with some DRM remover software, for which my previous Go To was a Windows machine that I still kept iTunes 10.3 on for Requiem.

regret nothing! Seriously tho, those're great

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Am I a bastard for hoping the 2016 rMBP update includes the MacBook keyboard so that I can feel justified in buying a freshly marked down 2015 refurb?

Seriously. I love the new trackpad, but hate that loving keyboard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ethanol posted:

Why not use bootcamp though, if you care about performance.. that's the way...

Dump VirtualBox and pay like $50 for Parallels. I used to always buy my Macs from MacWarehouse and they always threw a copy in for free. I use Fusion now but since poo poo went down at VMware who knows how much longer they'll be working on it.

Also you can get a free trial of either.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Bob Morales posted:

Dump VirtualBox and pay like $50 for Parallels. I used to always buy my Macs from MacWarehouse and they always threw a copy in for free. I use Fusion now but since poo poo went down at VMware who knows how much longer they'll be working on it.

Also you can get a free trial of either.

Wow, I had no idea virtual box sucks so much. It takes vs2015 6-12 minutes to open any project so I'm not shocked to see those numbers I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Are there any solutions on OS X for giving a VM direct access to the GPU - like, enough to game with? I was thinking about this last night and googled around; it seems like at least a couple of people have gotten it working under Linux.

That would sort of be my perfect computer; Mac with a Windows VM I could spin up when I wanted to play around.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Are there any solutions on OS X for giving a VM direct access to the GPU - like, enough to game with? I was thinking about this last night and googled around; it seems like at least a couple of people have gotten it working under Linux.

That would sort of be my perfect computer; Mac with a Windows VM I could spin up when I wanted to play around.

Parallels and Fusion will allow DirectX to touch the GPU and the benchmarks aren't that bad. I'd personally want to boot directly into the OS, but they work. I don't know if it's 'direct access', but it's good enough. It depends on what games.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bob Morales posted:

Easy. Pop the glass off with a credit card or your finger nails, use a T10 driver to remove the screen, then stick in the SSD of your choice. Only tricky part you have to get is the temperature sensor so the fan won't go nuts. you can also get a dual hard drive kit from iFixIt (SSD + HD)

GPU Chip...you'd have to install a whole new motherboard which isn't that hard, just expensive.

I'm not sure how much this varies year-to-year, but we had an iMac in the office a while back that we stuck an SSD into; we were able to get around the fan problem by installing some program that controlled the fan speeds. (I can't remember what it was, unfortunately.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pivo posted:

Parallels and Fusion will allow DirectX to touch the GPU and the benchmarks aren't that bad. I'd personally want to boot directly into the OS, but they work. I don't know if it's 'direct access', but it's good enough. It depends on what games.

Haha, I'm gonna pick up a new MacBook this summer because I want to drive my 4K display at 60Hz over DP (my 2012 rMBP only does 30Hz over DP); I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick up a Thunderbolt dock for an e-GPU and game that way (even better would be the ability to run a Vive/Rift through it). I get that this is pie-in-the-sky, I just hate rebooting when I have my laptop docked and closed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you really want to run a VM and give it access to an external GPU, I think you should email customer support of the VM product you end up purchasing to see if they support that ... You have to understand, this is all very new technology, like the people at CES demonstrating external GPU docks on PCs were having lots of issues, so doing that on a Mac, in a VM, I couldn't even guess for a second how that would work, I'm not even sure anyone's really tried it and written something up about it. I heard on OS X trying to hot-plug a GPU on Thunderbolt causes kernel panics, and Windows typically isn't so kind to that either.

You're basically on your own. But if you've got the dough you may as well try. Enthusiast forums will be ill-equipped to help you... Apple won't care to help you one bit...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I mean I'm currently writing this from a Surface Book that has an nvidia chip in the base and Microsoft controlled the whole design including special drivers and still it sometimes fucks up when you disconnect the "clipboard" from the base and you have to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I use paralells on my rMBP for when I have to work from home and use software that doesn't have a mac equivalent (e.g. Livecycle.) It's also surprisingly OK for games that aren't too crazy on system requirements, I've been playing South Park Stick of Truth and FF9 using it. I don't really notice it being any slower than native, but I'm also not doing anything crazy intense with it.