Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That's Craig Chandler, member of the board of directors of the Alberta Progressive Conservatives, and their regional director for Calgary. He's fired now.

quote:

Chandler said he can understand how his words were taken out of context— citing the number of characters.

“I can understand in the world of 140 characters how people misunderstand things,” he said.

Facebook does not have a 140-character limit.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I live in Vancouver and I earn well over the limit where Trudeau's tax regime starts to penalize me. I'm not even middle class in this city so gently caress you poor destitute assholes

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

All of you assholes acting like the current RRSP/TFSA system benefits the average Canadian in any way are probably making twice or higher the average Canadian yearly wage and have never had to do anything as drastic as moving in with a roommate or selling a personal belonging because something as simple as unexpected vehicle repairs started you on a debt spiral.

Most people don't have the money to put into savings in the first place.

Okay the second one is lovely and drastic, but what the hell is the big deal about having a roommate?

Even when I could afford to live on my own I still lived with a roommate because 1. saving hundreds of dollars a month is cool and good and 2. living with friends can be fun and social.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

That's Craig Chandler, member of the board of directors of the Alberta Progressive Conservatives, and their regional director for Calgary. He's fired now.

Magnificent. I'm always amazed how someone can go that extra mile and put in a bit more effort to look like a total shithead out of nowhere. Why does every single one of these cases end up with a "oh I was taken out of context" or the like, when the context is someone clearly being a shithead? I want to be generous and give him a full 280 characters to expand on this and show how this wasn't in fact a slur.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cultural Imperial posted:

And this is why all Canadian journalists deserve to live out of social housing and eat out of dumpsters

Speaking of journalism, Carleton university just kicked a hornet's nest a couple days ago. The school of journalism and communications faculty is in a pissing match with students over comments made on a Facebook page called spotted@carletonu. Let's you post anonymous comments about the school for random crap.

Basically the faculty only has one advisor on staff who only has three office hours a week to cater to hundreds of journalism students. So someone made an anonymous post to the page saying they wished there were more advisors or office hours to handle the demand. The faculty caught wind of this and issued emails to every person who liked, commented or was tagged in the post, telling hem they violated the schools harassment policy. They then issued an order to everyone to attend a mandatory meeting about the harassment policy or face a monetary fine to their student accounts.

Naturally the students affected are loving pissed about this, and believe that the faculty is overreacting by stalking ever person involved to issue these email threats.

Stay classy Carleton.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Prove it was me at the computer when the button was clicked."

Poof, your fine has vanished.

THC posted:

You missed the best part.

quote:

“I was discussing Halal and not Muslims—those are two separate issues all together,” he said “Halal is a type of treatment for meat and the way it works is to be Halal certified you actually pay a tax that goes back to Saudi Arabia.”

Chandler said when he made the terrorist comment he was referring to Saudi Arabia.

“Saudi Arabia currently happens to be funding Al Qaeda in Yemen and so that was my comment relating to Earl’s saying they supported terrorists now,” he said.

“Do all Muslims eat Halal? No. Do all Muslims understand there is a tax going back to Mecca for this? No. I never once said the word Muslim—not once in the sentence there do I mention the word Muslim.”

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If we are just defining class as an income bracket then it is so drained of analytical usefulness that it becomes redundant except as a liberal slogan.

I live in Vancouver and I earn well over the limit where Trudeau's tax regime starts to penalize me. I'm not even middle class in this city so gently caress you poor destitute assholes

Jesus, you really are the apotheosis of petite bourgeois resentment. Back in the 30s people with your economic profile and life attitude were the core audience for fascism. I guess we should be glad you have CanPol to keep you occupied :v:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

quote:

The Toronto-based columnist’s major alleged crime against journalism was her failure to put quotation marks around somebody else’s words, something that is now defined in the blogosphere as plagiarism — “an act of fraud,” according to one expert.

That is literally the definition of plagiarism, on the blogosphere or anywhere else. :psyduck:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand this new fangled web 2.0 social media blogosphere concept of plagiarism.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I don't understand this new fangled web 2.0 social media blogosphere concept of plagiarism.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Falstaff posted:

That is literally the definition of plagiarism, on the blogosphere or anywhere else. :psyduck:

Dammit that was my post. How do you stay employed when you're that incompetent? At least try and hide the fact that you're defending a bad thing.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Whiskey Sours posted:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Expecting journalists to attribute ideas to their original sources is now a form of "political correctness".

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

It's certainly true that the RRSPs primarily benefits the 50-99th percentile of the income distribution (as noted it has no benefit to the really rich). For example, funding/subsidizing postsecondary education also primarily benefits a similar segment of the population, so that alone isn't a sufficient criticism of the policy.

Most Canadians were better off and more financially secure in the age of defined benefit pensions (which, again, primarily benefitted a similar income range of the population), but those days are gone and never coming back. Canadians as a whole are awful with money, and it is likely that we'll see significant increases in people entering retirement without the necessary resources to do so in the coming decades, which is going to cause a gigantic drain on the system. It's virtually guaranteed if there's any significant nationwide loss in home equity over that timeframe. If anything, we should be incentivizing Canadians to save for retirement a lot more than we do currently with the RRSP. I'd support an expanded CPP as well.

There are plenty of ridiculous handouts to the wealthy that should be eliminated. Preferential tax rates on stock options, unlimited capital gains exemptions on primary residences, lack of means testing on OAS/TFSA/RESP, boutique tax credits, and so on. And there should be new marginal tax brackets for the highest earners -- ones that reflect the gigantic skew present in the income distribution and don't end at 200k (was ~140k until last year!). We probably should have tax brackets starting at 1M. But knee-jerk opposition to any policy that might benefit someone making an above-median income is short-sighted.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Helsing posted:

Expecting journalists to attribute ideas to their original sources is now a form of "political correctness".

Seems to be the most often used fall back attack of the right wing as of late. I'm not even going to entertain your idea as having merit because you are just PC policing. It's intellectually lazy and loving annoyingly prevalent.

I'm going to pull a CI and say execute all opinion columnists.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I have a friend who works at an NB newspaper. I think I'm going to kick him in the shins next time I see him, just for sharing an industry with these chucklefucks.

(I expect he'll say he totally had it coming, but probably for reasons more related to his bosses than anything Wente.)

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

apatheticman posted:

I'm going to pull a CI and say execute all opinion columnists.
I'm going to pull a PT6A dogpile and imply your immediate rush to forum tough guy violence is a sign of your misunderstanding of the issue.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
LMAO that carleton has hundreds of students in journalism.

remember, the k in carleton stands for quality

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

It's certainly true that the RRSPs primarily benefits the 50-99th percentile of the income distribution (as noted it has no benefit to the really rich). For example, funding/subsidizing postsecondary education also primarily benefits a similar segment of the population, so that alone isn't a sufficient criticism of the policy.

Most Canadians were better off and more financially secure in the age of defined benefit pensions (which, again, primarily benefitted a similar income range of the population), but those days are gone and never coming back. Canadians as a whole are awful with money, and it is likely that we'll see significant increases in people entering retirement without the necessary resources to do so in the coming decades, which is going to cause a gigantic drain on the system. It's virtually guaranteed if there's any significant nationwide loss in home equity over that timeframe. If anything, we should be incentivizing Canadians to save for retirement a lot more than we do currently with the RRSP. I'd support an expanded CPP as well.

There are plenty of ridiculous handouts to the wealthy that should be eliminated. Preferential tax rates on stock options, unlimited capital gains exemptions on primary residences, lack of means testing on OAS/TFSA/RESP, boutique tax credits, and so on. And there should be new marginal tax brackets for the highest earners -- ones that reflect the gigantic skew present in the income distribution and don't end at 200k (was ~140k until last year!). We probably should have tax brackets starting at 1M. But knee-jerk opposition to any policy that might benefit someone making an above-median income is short-sighted.

yeah but ryan holmes the founder of hootsuite and the idiots that start shopify says that canada won't have any more quality tech startups if you change taxation on

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Last time I checked, which hasn't been in a while, that journalism school was a bright shiny nugget of corn in that turd.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Last time I checked, which hasn't been in a while, that journalism school was a bright shiny nugget of corn in that turd.

No university can match their unicorn riding program.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carleton has improved its reputation a lot over the last decade but even when it was last chance u the journalism school had a great reputation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Web 2.0: where "Google" in and of itself is a citable source.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

An eighth grade teacher of mine (who would go on to teach English at my high school the very next year) used to bring up his Carleton degree all the time. He was also a dick. That's my story.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mojo1701a posted:

An eighth grade teacher of mine (who would go on to teach English at my high school the very next year) used to bring up his Carleton degree all the time. He was also a dick. That's my story.

Anyone who brings up their degree unprompted is a dick. It is known.

Let's all laugh at this miserable sack of poo poo and how, with any luck, he just shot himself in the foot by being a useless, self-righteous little oval office:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/david-ezekiel-stephan-meningitis-dear-jury-sentencing-1.3558768

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 29, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I wish contempt of jury were a thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

I wish contempt of jury were a thing.

Considering they weren't going to get the maximum penalty before, according to most experts, and now they might, I suggest that it in fact is very much A Thing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
PMJT visited Shoal Lake 40

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Trudeau affirms that from now on Canada will only sell military equipment to genocidal countries and not actively participate. Liberal voters everywhere swoon over their bold and progressive leader.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not to make light of the problems our First Nations face, but I recently found out that a friend of mine has been on a boil-water advisory for years now, and I grew up on a wholly private water system with no chlorination or treatment. Rural Canadians, of which the First Nations are a major part, are being failed across the board. We should stop pretending these are issues unique to First Nations people.

There are other issues which relate only to First Nations communities, though, so we should take care to recognize that and work to solve those problems as well.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Not to make light of the problems our First Nations face, but I recently found out that a friend of mine has been on a boil-water advisory for years now, and I grew up on a wholly private water system with no chlorination or treatment. Rural Canadians, of which the First Nations are a major part, are being failed across the board. We should stop pretending these are issues unique to First Nations people.

There are other issues which relate only to First Nations communities, though, so we should take care to recognize that and work to solve those problems as well.

Shoal Lake 40 is such a special kind of clusterfuck though. You could easily get a road there but the next reserve over won't let them so now they need a $46 million road the other way for a population of ~200 people.

quote:

With little regard for the area's indigenous inhabitants, land was expropriated from what is now the Shoal Lake 40 First Nation for the construction of a water intake, which required digging a canal that cut off the community from the mainland.

Shoal Lake 40 First Nation has been on an island ever since.

Just 15 kilometres off the Trans-Canada Highway, today it remains accessible only by boat in the summer and an ice road in winter.

While the Shoal Lake 40 First Nation sends water to Winnipeg, it's been on a boil-water advisory since December 2000.

That could have changed in 2001, as the then Liberal federal government proposed to build a bridge from Shoal Lake 40 to the mainland through the neighbouring Iskatewizaagegan First Nation (also known as Shoal Lake 39).

Not wanting a public right-of-way through its lands, Iskatewizaagegan First Nation voted against it, killing the bridge proposal. (Iskatewizaagegan did not respond to an interview request)

Iskatewizaagegan First Nation has since imposed tariffs on anyone trying to reach Shoal Lake 40 through its lands, via ice road or ferry.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well it also doesn't help they have no major roads or anything to their settlement. It's a poo poo hole.

And their water is what we use for drinking here in Winnipeg. :3:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Guys we can't pay for clean water AND drive-able roads if we keep cutting taxes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did you know we can solve poverty, addiction, mental illness, and homelessness simply by cutting social services? Starve the beast, it will force them to get jobs and clean up once they stop getting hand outs and gentle treatment by the police? Victoria is taking in all of Canada's homeless, we've been pushed too far and need to send them all back.

Vibrant Victoria is a font of evidence based policy suggestions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It should be noted that "under boil water advisory" can mean many things. It could be something that will make you poo poo yourself to death, or just a slight lapse in treatment standards. My friend who is under the advisory drinks his tap water, it just means he can't sue the BC government if something happens.

A situation like that, compared to places that literally do not have access to potable water, is minor. As long as we don't have gradations in these warnings, it's hard to tell how seriously one should take them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CBC's Power & Politics is an extremely bad show.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

THC posted:

Counter position: it is a good show.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

El Scotch posted:

Counter position: it is a good show.

Ohhh poo poo!!

Now: battle to the death. It's the only way.

(I don't watch so-called "television" but I'm guessing it's bad because it's on CBC and CBC is bad :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The guests are bad, the host is bad, the topics are bad, the moderation is bad. Even for CBC, it's real bad.