Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a primate posted:

I think Centre-left candidates love talking about social issues because it doesn't cost any money to implement. So they get to appear progressive while being a *~fiscal conservative :corrupt:

Pretty much. For example, bathroom bills are bogus but I wish we could fight bathroom bills and also compel insurance companies to cover HRT and SRS, or better yet, abolish private insurance and nationalize healthcare but :qqsay: thats too hard and think about the rights of businesses too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I just wanna shitpost about Bernie. I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do in the Dem thread

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Goetta posted:

Do in the Dem thread

Pass

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fast Luck posted:

So like if I say hey maybe we should stop training and arming and spending millions of dollars to send violent rebels and terrorists in to fight Assad, and maybe if we're serious about combating terrorism we should allow Assad to reestablish his secular state instead of trying our best to overthrow yet another state's existing regime only now in a more subtle way than we did in Libya and Iraq,

now I'm a crazy?

Or if I say Russia's not that great and neither is Putin but he's probably not the devil and in fact isn't one of the world's big problems because why would he be... I'm crazy?

Like you can be left wing and it's fine but once you start opposing the condoned imperialist line on things it's no good?

Breadallelogram posted:

does that count as apologism?
Slightly. I don't disagree that we should probably stop bothering to overthrow Assad (if nothing else because it's just not going to happen anymore, Assad's got too much foreign support and the rebels are a shadow of what they used to be). That said, "secular state" is an apologist term that really sticks in my craw. Assad's state may not be hyper-religious, but it's very Arab-supremacist and Alawite-supremacist, and the end result is you're trading religious supremacy for ethnic supremacy.

I'd also prefer a peace deal rather than Assad regaining any more territory militarily, because Assad re-establishing control of Syria militarily means lots and lots of mass graves.

fade5 has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Apr 29, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

hemophilia posted:

I used to whine about identity politics a lot and honestly what has given me pause is how Bernie Sanders has handled the issue.

Believe me I still lament the theoretical single-issue identity politics person who may exist somewhere up the food chain making GBS threads up a larger movement for the sake of their own pet issue, but I'm not sure this actually exists much as I and others sometimes think it does. I think there are bigger fish to fry since it's reasonably easy to integrate the politics of identity into a larger progressive movement and there are much more malevolent forces that actively work to undermine progressive politics and I would rather focus on that than being an rear end in a top hat because somebody is trying to be a part of something while having needs unique to them and people like them.

Awhile back, but this is pretty much my position on it.

I may not be X, but X deserves to be respected and represented, no matter what.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Classic Comrade posted:

keep reading the thread; fiegen is A Crappy Candidate. :v:

i would use that list as a starting point for further research instead of using it as a be-all-end-all kinda deal

Yes, but it provides dates for elections. And either I'm dumb as gently caress (a true possibility) or navigating Iowan government pages is way more obtuse than it needs to be.

Hell, even the Red Cross's Contact Us stuff just leads in a circular loop with nary a single phone or email address to be found, and I've had more than one job prospect thwarted by companies not updating (or even having) contact information on their websites. Iowa is like a black hole of sensible web design.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

StrangeAeon posted:

Fuckin' A, this is exactly what I wanted to exist. We need to keep this up-to-date at all times.

Marking the Iowa congressional primary on my calendar~

beyond the earlier stuff here about tom fiegen, gary kroeger actually withdrew from the us house race. he's now running for the iowa house in district 60.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm posting in this thread 1) to get a bookmark and 2) to update on what's been going on in my neck of the woods. Tennessee Dems will be holding their Jackson Day dinner on the weekend of May the 7th, and I have a ticket to attend.

I'm going with at least the county chair here in Claiborne, so it'll be a good chance to network and start making inroads. I've been told the dems will be running for about 60 different offices in the state, hopefully I can meet a few and feel out how big of a progressive vein is running through the state party at the moment.

At the very least, it's an opportunity for me to learn how everything works (or doesn't work) in this part of Tennessee, anyway.

This sounds really cool, looking forward to a trip report.

I don't know anyone with power or connections in this area so I'm just an outside agitator. v:kiddo:v I'll be curious to see how much overlap there is in successful strategies when it comes to in-group/out-group political action.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I just wanna shitpost about Bernie. I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

I think some Bernie in here is not bad, but poo poo posting must be done in your head now.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
Sanders will move Clinton to the left. If not, then delusion will suffice:

https://twitter.com/DemFromCT/status/726103045931687936

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Horrible posted:

This sounds really cool, looking forward to a trip report.

I don't know anyone with power or connections in this area so I'm just an outside agitator. v:kiddo:v I'll be curious to see how much overlap there is in successful strategies when it comes to in-group/out-group political action.

If you advocate for progressive policies, such as environmental justice, in such a manner which makes those with power and connections some money, then soon enough you'll be the one with power and connections.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Progressives making people pay out the rear end for their reactionary behavior is actually cool and good.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Who here would be surprised to find out Clinton is confident enough to just blow off Sanders and ignore him completely assuming she'll get votes from fear(millenials and republicans).

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Woozy posted:

It's not weird at all. The voices making that exact argument were rapidly silenced and devoured by idiots shrieking about privilege. Like there's just no way to pretend anymore that left identitarian politics aren't fundamentally a project of reconfiguring existing power structures to be more "inclusive" without disrupting their basic purpose. For as long as I've been an activist the story was always "oh, we have to resist this sort of universalizing narrative about economic power because otherwise what's going to happen is we're going to reproduce various systems of oppression within a Marxist opposition that only sees class." But now more than ever its just obvious what that strategy actually amounts to: widening avenues for entry into the ruling class for women and minorities, so long as they'll agree to a basic neo liberal platform and work to diffuse and manage radical opposition within the communities they've been appointed to represent within the mainstream political discourse. It leads to Obama, basically.

NumberLast posted:

"Equal rights for our community...'s affluent members to step on the necks of the poor."

Thomas Frank touched on that in his "What's the matter with Democrats?" talk (thanks to whoever linked it in Bernie thread):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4I1c8VnbI

I'm paraphrasing but he said that Third Way was specifically about shifting the focus of the party from workers to the professional class. The problem is that the latter believes in meritocracy, so they're never going to go for solidarity or a strong social safety net because poor people deserve to be poor.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

In other news, I'm the tech chair on my local committee for the city controller, as well as getting stronger ties with our local public radio.

Oh, neat! What are your responsibilities as tech chair? Come to think of it, what are the city controller's responsibilities? My one civics class in high school was a loving joke. :negative:

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you advocate for progressive policies, such as environmental justice, in such a manner which makes those with power and connections some money, then soon enough you'll be the one with power and connections.

But then I wouldn't be a progressive, just another dogshit liberal pretending to be one. :angel:

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Haze Thank Liberty posted:

Some also don't seem to care that which candidates are running influences whether or not the independents actually show up, and what type of independents actually show up.

e:

I was just reading a music article and read this as "bassline", "What do you think of Stalin?" could be a pretty good tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OTRRXZOzE

Bockscar
Jun 17, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Yes, but it provides dates for elections. And either I'm dumb as gently caress (a true possibility) or navigating Iowan government pages is way more obtuse than it needs to be.

Hell, even the Red Cross's Contact Us stuff just leads in a circular loop with nary a single phone or email address to be found, and I've had more than one job prospect thwarted by companies not updating (or even having) contact information on their websites. Iowa is like a black hole of sensible web design.

I feel like this applies to local government sites in general, not just Iowa.

quote:

Elections for City Council take place every two years, on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in March of odd numbered years.

Is it really that much extra effort to put the next election's date down?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

YOU A loving HAT posted:

my best friend's cat that he just adopted had KITTENS last night and I've been looking after them today. Added to my sister being preggers, I am just SWIMMING in babies over here. yeesh.

just fyi, thread.

babies everywhere

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Kudaros posted:

There is a power generation thread in D&D which is unfortunately made worse by willfully dense individuals

Redundant sentence: it's in D&D so by definition it's made worse by willfully dense individuals. :eng101:

Just teasing, and I agree that climate change is a great example of a local issue.

TinFoilJoy
Oct 15, 2012

Looking into downticket races has taught me that the Michigan Democratic Party might be just as toothless as Dem parties in deep red states. And progressives. :shrug:
Guess I'll just have to invest in progressive candidates outside my bad state, and also look into moving

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Kudaros posted:

I'd add a serious interest in climate change to the list of progressive-hopeful policies. This effects most levels of government since climate change is a very large and complex topic affected by a number of things.

oh for sure. the fracked gas Burrilville power plant is a big hot button issue over here.

sheldon whitehouse, one of our [US] senators, loves to talk a big game about climate but when it comes to that power plant or other local issues he is suddenly very quiet. 👀

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Goetta posted:

Do in the Dem thread

yeah no offense but that thread is/was way more toxic than our old one.

Classic Comrade has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Apr 29, 2016

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

StrangeAeon posted:

i gotcha.

yeah RI's election pages show the election dates but no info about candidates which im a lil confused about. like apparently we have state primaries in september??? but who is running??? :iiam:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm in one of the few states that apparently has no acceptably progressive candidates for any state or federal seats. What should I do, other than smoke weed and eat junk food until I choke on my own vomit?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Before we get into a nuke hard on fest, it's not really economically or environmentaly sound because solar is becoming cheaper and wind already is in some parts of the country. A wind turbine at worst can fall down, a nuclear plant requires vigilance and a lot of people to keep running.

Fusion is probably the nuclear boat we should look into because it's safer and makes way more power.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Nonsense posted:

I think some Bernie in here is not bad, but poo poo posting must be done in your head now.

sounds reasonable to me. :)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

empireofcrime posted:

Who here would be surprised to find out Clinton is confident enough to just blow off Sanders and ignore him completely assuming she'll get votes from fear(millenials and republicans).

She's not getting millenials.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

You don't disparage and insult a demographic you polled 85 to 15 in and magically get that 85 entirely. Wouldn't be shocked if Jill does as well as Hillary in the election with milenials.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

TinFoilJoy posted:

Looking into downticket races has taught me that the Michigan Democratic Party might be just as toothless as Dem parties in deep red states. And progressives. :shrug:
Guess I'll just have to invest in progressive candidates outside my bad state, and also look into moving

also try to look into local activist organizations. like there are a couple in my state that seem interesting.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

To be fair nobody is going to give a gently caress about what demographics she didn't get, unless she loses in November.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Like if you say Bernie has a black voter issue, Hillary has an entire age demographic problem that's insanely worse. Millenials hating her will probably doom her campaign.

I also forgot this forum has a gently caress ton of gen y people since this forum is full of people in their late 30s and 40s so it's funny when they, who are still more often bernie supporters, comment on millenial berniecrats its like their first cane wave.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Nonsense posted:

To be fair nobody is going to give a gently caress about what demographics she didn't get, unless she loses in November.

Old people skew republican and without millenials to balance them out she's toast. Bernie or Bust is still growing along with the new left.

Hillary won't beat Trump.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Horrible posted:

But then I wouldn't be a progressive, just another dogshit liberal pretending to be one. :angel:

If the policies you advocate reduce health and income disparities --- and actually get enacted --- why the gently caress do you give a poo poo about someone making money in the process?

Seems you have internalized white guilt into a totalitarian mindset on outcome attainment.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Before we get into a nuke hard on fest, it's not really economically or environmentaly sound because solar is becoming cheaper and wind already is in some parts of the country. A wind turbine at worst can fall down, a nuclear plant requires vigilance and a lot of people to keep running.

Fusion is probably the nuclear boat we should look into because it's safer and makes way more power.

How the gently caress you store solar power for night, you fuckwit? Nuclear is the only loving sustainable, viable, and actionable energy generation policy which advances the cause of environmental justice.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Old people skew republican and without millenials to balance them out she's toast. Bernie or Bust is still growing along with the new left.

Hillary won't beat Trump.

Eh, I doubt it'll be that bad. Consider 2012:

Hillary should probably keep most of that minority chunk and may pull in additional women, which is clearly the gender saving us from Republican hell.

My Imaginary GF posted:

How the gently caress you store solar power for night, you fuckwit? Nuclear is the only loving sustainable, viable, and actionable energy generation policy which advances the cause of environmental justice.

If either of the candidates proposed replacing all our baseline power sources of coal and oil with nuclear I'd vote for them with no hesitation. Including Trump. It's that big of a deal to me, that it seems obvious Nuclear is the best immediate method of confronting climate change seriously.

Mo_Steel has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Apr 29, 2016

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

uhhh Lena Dunham? Broad City cameo? come on, surely you know that's all that's needed aside from threatening a Trump presidency.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Eh, I doubt it'll be that bad. Consider 2012:

Hillary should probably keep most of that minority chunk and may pull in additional women, which is clearly the gender saving us from Republican hell.

Guess what, Democrats weren't gonna win white male millenials anyways so why the gently caress should we pander to those Republicans when we can work to build an even stronger party organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

C-SPAN Caller posted:

http://iop.harvard.edu/iop-now/harvard-iop-spring-2016-poll

• Locked thread