Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Blops 3 was nowhere near as good as Blops 2. It didn't even end with an Avenged Sevenfold concert!

e: also no :gary: GARY OLDMAN :yarg: in blops3 either, big downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm going to have to play this game at some point.

I've been saying the same thing but it's never quite hit my 'I'll buy anything' price yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dewgy posted:

Blops 3 was nowhere near as good as Blops 2. It didn't even end with an Avenged Sevenfold concert!

Holy poo poo for real? I never finished it but :lol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do you get to kill them?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

Do you get to kill them?

Nope, they just kind of rock out. The wheelchair-bound vet from Blops1 abandons his chair though because he's just fuckin' lazy (his own words) and there's a big dance party where they intentionally pair up characters who killed each other during the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9NMDtyow8

Blops2's single player campaign is loving art.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dewgy posted:

NEW OBJECTIVE: PROTECT THE OBAMA.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm going to have to play this game at some point.

I also heard you can play the campaign missions in any order, even starting from the final mission and working backwards and you can customize who the protagonists are and it supports 4 player co-op. It sounds intriguing enough that I'll pick it up at some point.

Dewgy posted:

Nope, they just kind of rock out. The wheelchair-bound vet from Blops1 abandons his chair though because he's just fuckin' lazy (his own words) and there's a big dance party where they intentionally pair up characters who killed each other during the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9NMDtyow8

Treyarch's CoD games seem to be actually having fun with the series. Sure it's still Call of Duty, you know exactly what to expect but they're at least willing to try new ideas and know fully how ridiculous the plots for these games are. Compare that to Modern Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer games, where you have forced attempts at drama by pressing F to pay respects or worrying about a dog that's completely inconsequential to the game that got shot but otherwise it's the same drat game since Call of Duty 4. I don't really care much about Infinity Ward or Sledgehammer CoD games anymore, but if nothing else I'm always curious to see what random crazy thing the next Treyarch CoD will do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've been saying the same thing but it's never quite hit my 'I'll buy anything' price yet.

Right. If I see it for 10 or maybe 20 (AUD) then sure.

Incidentally I got a free copy of Ghosts and wow is that game a huge piece of flaming poo poo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Treyarch's CoD games seem to be actually having fun with the series. Sure it's still Call of Duty, you know exactly what to expect but they're at least willing to try new ideas and know fully how ridiculous the plots for these games are. Compare that to Modern Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer games, where you have forced attempts at drama by pressing F to pay respects or worrying about a dog that's completely inconsequential to the game that got shot but otherwise it's the same drat game since Call of Duty 4. I don't really care much about Infinity Ward or Sledgehammer CoD games anymore, but if nothing else I'm always curious to see what random crazy thing the next Treyarch CoD will do.

Original Infiinity Ward seemed to know how to do a good bombastic overly serious plot (which is why I'm excited about a remake of Modern Warfare) but yeah, MW3, AW, Ghosts... all totally meh.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Aren't devs always saying achievements show how half the people who buy a game never turn it on or finish the tutorial? Approaching the endgame in Bloodborne and I'm surprised to see how many people have gotten some of the later ones. Beat Ebrietas yesterday and Logarius today, both of which seem to be regarded as pretty difficult and they're entirely optional to finishing the game, but both achievements showed over 30% of players have done it. I'm sure these games have a more motivated fan base than other but I was pretty impressed they kept people engaged with their content that far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Souls games have an absurdly high completion rate. I think BB has something 10% of people platting it. I guess most people that buy them play the shot out of them.

I played the poo poo out of DS3 like a crazy person and like 30% of people beat me to every trophy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It helps that BB has pretty sensible trophies, you get 95% of them just for exploring everywhere and beating every boss. Of course that includes some drat hard chalice stuff but the only ones you can really miss permanently are maybe a weapon and one of the endings.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The endings are the tougher ones if (like me) you don't replay games much. I think I got 80% of the way through a BB second play through and burned out on the last set of dungeon bosses. However, being able to get pretty much every other trophy and seeing how many people were beating the same ridiculously hard bosses I was beating was pretty humbling. Logarius was the big one where I was like "ok I bet I'm some elite poo poo now" but looked at saw 10% of people had beaten him. This was within two weeks after release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can save scum all three endings easily in one play through :ssh: (assuming you don't gently caress up getting one of the third umbilical chords anyway.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Almost every game I've bought for the last few years I haven't actually finished, just playing the majority until I get my fill and then getting too busy or playing multiplayer rather than finishing it, but I've played every souls game to completion. Its just good poo poo. (If you're into it anyways)

In fact BB is the only one I didn't want to immediately play through again after completing it, and that's because of the lack of build variety. I am 80% of the way through a NG+ run though, and I should really go back and cap it off so I can get the other endings and platinum it.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can save scum all three endings easily in one play through :ssh:

Yeah I realized that shortly after I already beat the game :doh:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

You can save scum all three endings easily in one play through :ssh: (assuming you don't gently caress up getting one of the third umbilical chords anyway.)

This is exactly what happened on my first playthrough.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I've platted every Souls game (including Demon's twice), and Bloodborne was by far the most straightforward (<40 hours).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

This is exactly what happened on my first playthrough.

There are 4 umbilical cords :ssh:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I also heard you can play the campaign missions in any order, even starting from the final mission and working backwards and you can customize who the protagonists are and it supports 4 player co-op. It sounds intriguing enough that I'll pick it up at some point.

I dunno, outside of PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS, I liked CoD: House of Cards well enough, at least as far as its campaign was concerned. It was plenty crazy and had some pretty rad set pieces that the devs clearly had a lot of fun putting together. It also looked rather nice for a CoD. MP I can't comment on, I'm basically the worst person to ever play CoD MP so I only fire it up for maybe a month or so before finding something else to do. I really wish they'd stop trying to shoehorn in ANY amount of flying missions in the games though. They're basically a waste of space and never control well at all.

Can't say I'm a fan of the blops 3 campaign. It's way too incoherent even by CoD standards, and its a miserable follow up to Blops 2's insanity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

There are 4 umbilical cords :ssh:

Its very easy to gently caress up two of them though. If you don't rescue Arianna in time (which is easy to do if you don't realize your head-gear matters) and you kill Isefka (which gets you one of the better runes in the game), you're boned. And there's no warning ahead of time if you're not reading some wiki or guide while you play.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its very easy to gently caress up two of them though. If you don't rescue Arianna in time (which is easy to do if you don't realize your head-gear matters) and you kill Isefka (which gets you one of the better runes in the game), you're boned. And there's no warning ahead of time if you're not reading some wiki or guide while you play.

You're getting Arianna and Adella mixed up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You still get it if you kill Iosefka.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

You're getting Arianna and Adella mixed up.

You're right. She's easy to miss too though because she's just in a door at the end of an alley around a corner.

NESguerilla posted:

You still get it if you kill Iosefka.

ONLY if you wait until after Rom. If you kill her before Rom you're super hosed. Which is kinda mean.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You're right. She's easy to miss too though because she's just in a door at the end of an alley around a corner.

ONLY if you wait until after Rom. If you kill her before Rom you're super hosed. Which is kinda mean.

Yeah really no reason to kill her before Rom so that would kind of be on the player for slaughtering npcs.

Once she goes aggro she will drop it when you kill her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah really no reason to kill her before Rom so that would kind of be on the player for slaughtering npcs.

If you walk up to see her in person she'll automatically go aggro, and if it's before Rom you'll get the rune, not the cord.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah she only drops it after you've killed Rom, if you aggro and kill her before that you're out of luck.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Keep forgetting black ops 3 campaign is co-op. Need to give it a go

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

You don't get the rune if you kill her later, and again, if you're not playing through with the wiki or a guide (and souls games should be played blind first :colbert:) there is nothing in the game telling you "hey go kill the Rom boss before you explore this house because an angry lady will attack you but you don't want to fight her yet" :v:

Its not just slaughtering NPCs, she straight up attacks you. And when you get inside her clinic, its obvious she isn't a proper good NPC.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't get the rune if you kill her later, and again, if you're not playing through with the wiki or a guide (and souls games should be played blind first :colbert:) there is nothing in the game telling you "hey go kill the Rom boss before you explore this house because an angry lady will attack you but you don't want to fight her yet" :v:

Its not just slaughtering NPCs, she straight up attacks you. And when you get inside her clinic, its obvious she isn't a proper good NPC.

In fairness, she does tell you to piss off, and also doesn't attack you if you leave when she does!

(I definitely offed her my first time through. Kill me once, shame on you, kill me twice and it is ON, lady!)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

She doesn't attack you unless you go there after rom though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NESguerilla posted:

That's before Rom, after him she's, uh, indisposed

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

NESguerilla posted:

Nope, she attacks you if you go BEFORE Rom. It's after Amelia/nightfall that she'll be aggressive. After Rom she's just sort of... there, and you kill her.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah after Rom she's too busy with her immaculate conception to fight you.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Before Rom, she does give a warning when you enter to back off and leave, and if you approach that's when she jumps you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah. Must have misremembered.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I think Dark Souls / Bloodborne have high completion because they are actually challenging.

For example, look at Dying Light. At some point around 25 hours I just said gently caress it, let's get this poo poo over with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

there is tho because she drops one of the best runes in the game if you kill her early. there's no reason not to kill her early because that's the only way to get that rune and you can get the 3 cords you need elsewhere

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone use these?

SteelSeries Siberia P800 Wireless Gaming Headset with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound for PlayStation 4, Playstation 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6OKHL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_h26ixbEF4PS18

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Man I would be extremely wary of buying any "virtual" surround device for that much money. But I am poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a lot more expensive than Astro headsets, which have always reviewed really well.

• Locked thread