Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought you couldnt upgrade any of the Laptops these days besides the non retina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Laserface posted:

I thought you couldnt upgrade any of the Laptops these days besides the non retina?
You can't as the RAM is soldered to the logic board. The 32GB figure being discussed is in the context of an iMac (which does still have user replaceable RAM) and jaegerx is a little confused.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arsten posted:

The only applications that load slow are the Office apps. Even my VMs start up nice and quick without so much as a hint of slowness. I was hoping it was a configuration issue.

Have you ever used OS X with an SSD? You might re-think your 'nice and quick' assessment then.

Honestly, it MIGHT be a configuration issue. Try repairing permissions (that is still a thing we do, right guys?). Check Console.app to see if Office apps are spewing any kind of errors when they're starting up.

But my friend has a platter drive and Office 2016 and it's slow as gently caress for her whereas it's instant for me, so I really think that's the main difference. It probably loads lots of small files which means a lot of seeking.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is it easy to replace my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" hark disk with an SSD? The machine is still really snappy otherwise but I can hear the HD churning away and it seems to be the main thing slowing it down. Also how much of a pain in the rear end is it to upgrade the GPU chip?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MZ posted:

Is it easy to replace my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" hark disk with an SSD?

Depends. Does using suction cups to take off the glass display panel scare you? How good are you with repair of sensitive electronics in general? Because the iMac is KIND OF A FUCKIN' DICK to get into.

I've fully gutted and re-built MBPs multiple times, but I would still take that thing to an AASP and pay them to deal with it. Screw it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My 2011 27" was relatively painless. you dont need suction cups, just have an ipad or laptop with the iFixit guide open and follow it along.

I had to do it 2-3 times just to make small adjustments to things. I used an exacto knife to get the screen off (its held on with magnets, the knife was just the thinnest/strongest thing I had handy for the job)

you can also remove the screen by putting stick-on vinyl or strong tape on the screen. the screen is quite flexible and will lift off without heaps of fuss. I used to half remove the screen all the time when deploying new iMacs and peeling off the protective film on the display.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A knife, ha. My knives wouldn't like that.

FYI, we have a Mac Hardware thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
None of you guys know the fresh hell that is installing a second HD in a Mac Mini.

I put a 128gb SSD in there back when those were about $150. I really need more storage, but there's now way I'm ever opening that thing up again.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

None of you guys know the fresh hell that is installing a second HD in a Mac Mini.

I put a 128gb SSD in there back when those were about $150. I really need more storage, but there's now way I'm ever opening that thing up again.

Did that when I got the Mac Mini, then had to swap the primary disk for an SSD when it shat the bed. I've had a harder time with small form factor HPs.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Pivo posted:

A knife, ha. My knives wouldn't like that.

FYI, we have a Mac Hardware thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201

Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MZ posted:

Is it easy to replace my mid-2011 iMac 21.5" hark disk with an SSD? The machine is still really snappy otherwise but I can hear the HD churning away and it seems to be the main thing slowing it down. Also how much of a pain in the rear end is it to upgrade the GPU chip?

They make hard drives almost two feet wide???

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

jaegerx posted:

How do you figure out if you can put 32GB of ram in your macbook pro? I've got 2015 with 16GB already but i'd love an extra 16GB.

You can't. What gets 'installed' at the factory is what that unit has for life. Apples website won't say that but the wikipedia article for Macbooks has had that info since they started doing that poo poo. If you want more ram, go buy a new macbook.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MacTracker says both 13 and 15" versions from 2015 max out at 16gb.

E: oops didn't see the new page. Ignore.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EL BROMANCE posted:

MacTracker says both 13 and 15" versions from 2015 max out at 16gb.

Who really needs more than 16GB today when you can have 32GB tomorrow with a new model!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is there some kind of technical justification for soldering memory or is it 100% a way to make more money?

I mean, a non-replaceable battery allowed for a sleeker unit by giving Apple more room to squeeze in the battery cells and meant your laptop definitely needed to be replaced or serviced around year 4. I can't see any advantage to non-upgradable memory, especially in a desktop.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is there some kind of technical justification for soldering memory or is it 100% a way to make more money?

I mean, a non-replaceable battery allowed for a sleeker unit by giving Apple more room to squeeze in the battery cells and meant your laptop definitely needed to be replaced or serviced around year 4. I can't see any advantage to non-upgradable memory, especially in a desktop.

It saves space because you don't have to have a separate board for the chips or a bracket to attach the DIMMs to the motherboard.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

your right its 100% greedy apple wanting to gently caress you in your taut twink rear end in a top hat over and over again. no other reason

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Have you ever used OS X with an SSD? You might re-think your 'nice and quick' assessment then.

Honestly, it MIGHT be a configuration issue. Try repairing permissions (that is still a thing we do, right guys?). Check Console.app to see if Office apps are spewing any kind of errors when they're starting up.

But my friend has a platter drive and Office 2016 and it's slow as gently caress for her whereas it's instant for me, so I really think that's the main difference. It probably loads lots of small files which means a lot of seeking.

No, but I am fully aware of an SSD's speed increase, I've just, literally, never needed it in OSX. Fusions' Win8.1 Pro VM starts in 32 seconds. I don't even have enough time to burn my tongue with the coffee cup next to me before I have to actually work in it. So throwing an SSD in there was never a priority. It seems ridiculously crazy that I need an SSD for Office. :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsten posted:

No, but I am fully aware of an SSD's speed increase, I've just, literally, never needed it in OSX. Fusions' Win8.1 Pro VM starts in 32 seconds. I don't even have enough time to burn my tongue with the coffee cup next to me before I have to actually work in it. So throwing an SSD in there was never a priority. It seems ridiculously crazy that I need an SSD for Office. :(

I understand, but working with a mechanical hard drive when SSDs are so affordable is becoming more like those PhotoCDs grandma gets done at Walgreens to send to the family. It does the job, but it's no longer the best way.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've seen massive speed increases in launching Office apps by validating fonts in Font Book, and removing the dupes / "bad" ones. YMMV

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yay for abandonware(sort of).

$40 used from Amazon. Beats the $2999 $499 retail price*!

*kidding, its for funzies

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

your right its 100% greedy apple wanting to gently caress you in your taut twink rear end in a top hat over and over again. no other reason

Well I get what Weedle said about saving space using soldered RAM. Which makes sense with a laptop, especially when you consider portability and the shorter overall life span of mobile devices. Soldering RAM on a desktop totally sounds like greedy Apple bending you over a barrel.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well I get what Weedle said about saving space using soldered RAM. Which makes sense with a laptop, especially when you consider portability and the shorter overall life span of mobile devices. Soldering RAM on a desktop totally sounds like greedy Apple bending you over a barrel.

They dont currently solder RAM to the PCB in desktops.

Currently.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

Currently.

Except the Mac Mini.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has Apple said anything about how long they're going to keep the old 'Software Update' service running?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NeuralSpark posted:

I've seen massive speed increases in launching Office apps by validating fonts in Font Book, and removing the dupes / "bad" ones. YMMV

Thank you, kind sir. I had 47 fonts with errors and 127 fonts that were duplicated. Purging them made Word and Excel start in under 10 seconds. :cheers:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

Except the Mac Mini.
I think some of the newer 21.5" iMacs also don't have user replaceable RAM.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Yay for abandonware(sort of).

$40 used from Amazon. Beats the $2999 $499 retail price*!

*kidding, its for funzies

That's cool but it's been completely superseded and bettered by The Foundry's Nuke in every way.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I brought a brand new 2015 rMBP a couple of weeks ago and it crashes at least twice a week, usually when using Safari. It completely freezes, the touch pad doesn't 'force click' anymore. If music is playing it will continue but no buttons respond at all and the only way to get back up and running is holding the power button down.

This is pissing me off completely and I hate that I spent over 1500 euros on a laptop that is crashing way more than my 6 year old Windows machine that it replaced.

Have any of you had the same issue, and what did you do to fix it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mercurius posted:

I think some of the newer 21.5" iMacs also don't have user replaceable RAM.

Starting with the Mid 2014 iMac, RAM has been soldered in on all 21.5 inch models. In fact, you could only get one option- 8 GB of RAM for the Mid 2014; this wasn't fixed until the Late 2015 21.5 inch models where you could specify 8 or 16 GB.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

I brought a brand new 2015 rMBP a couple of weeks ago and it crashes at least twice a week, usually when using Safari. It completely freezes, the touch pad doesn't 'force click' anymore. If music is playing it will continue but no buttons respond at all and the only way to get back up and running is holding the power button down.

This is pissing me off completely and I hate that I spent over 1500 euros on a laptop that is crashing way more than my 6 year old Windows machine that it replaced.

Honestly if it's brand new send it back and get a replacement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Starting with the Mid 2014 iMac, RAM has been soldered in on all 21.5 inch models. In fact, you could only get one option- 8 GB of RAM for the Mid 2014; this wasn't fixed until the Late 2015 21.5 inch models where you could specify 8 or 16 GB.

8GB of RAM on a 2014 iMac???! That's insane. I've the 2014 27" in work with 32GB and I can't imagine using 8.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I Am Crake posted:

I have not but if it's only been a couple weeks take it back and get it exchanged. In the US at least Apple Stores will take returns for full refund or credit towards another new machine for any reason at all within 2 weeks of purchase. If you're a little outside they might bend the rules for a clearly defective computer.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
This is the second one, :( and this one is outside of the two weeks. The other one was obviously faulty - it crashed almost always when trying to fetch an open/save dialog.

This one works mostly completely fine but then suddenly freezes out of nowhere when I'm using Facebook or something.

Edit - I called Apple and they ran me through the thing where you boot it up holding CMD alt P R, so I tried that.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2016

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

I Am Crake posted:

I have something similar on my 2013 but it's much less frequent, more like once every few months. For me if I close and open the lid it kicks it out of its funk and works again. Temporary solution to try if it happens again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quantum of Phallus posted:

8GB of RAM on a 2014 iMac???! That's insane. I've the 2014 27" in work with 32GB and I can't imagine using 8.

The 21.5 inch line has become something of the red=headed stepchild lately; the last 21.5 inch model to have discrete graphics was the Late 2013, which was also the last upgradeable 21.5 inch (although it was only two RAM slots and you needed to remove the glue strips and lift off the LCD display to get to it.)

Ever since then, the 21.5 inch has only ever included integrated graphics.

It's almost as if Apple reeeealllly wants you to buy a 27-inch instead, but for some reason the 21.5 inch keeps selling (mostly to education since it's a one-and-done can't upgrade for poo poo sealed up machine.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I could swear there was talk of a 24" 4K iMac. Did I make this up?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

This is the second one, :( and this one is outside of the two weeks. The other one was obviously faulty - it crashed almost always when trying to fetch an open/save dialog.

This one works mostly completely fine but then suddenly freezes out of nowhere when I'm using Facebook or something.

Edit - I called Apple and they ran me through the thing where you boot it up holding CMD alt P R, so I tried that.

I had something similar with one of the original white iBooks. It'd run for awhile and then just poo poo the bed. I booted into diagnostic mode and ran tests on hardware and it turned out my 3rd party RAM was at fault.

It's not exactly what you are experiencing, but it's worth a shot. Or just call Apple. If they didn't replace it right away, the Safari crashes and their reasons are almost certainly listed in a log file somewhere.

Laserface posted:

Currently.

As others have said, they do it with the lower end iMacs. I didn't realize they were soldering RAM on Mac Minis also. Hopefully they've at least raised the base RAM to the point where it can run the OS. My brand new 2011 Mac Mini with the base 2gb couldn't run iTunes and load a webpage without the audio skipping.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MZ posted:

That's cool but it's been completely superseded and bettered by The Foundry's Nuke in every way.

Of course. I've got nuke 5.3v2(iirc) on that 'nostalgia' box too. The last PPC build of nuke. It's not for actual work, just something to remind me of the before time in the long long ago.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Shaocaholica posted:

Of course. I've got nuke 5.3v2(iirc) on that 'nostalgia' box too. The last PPC build of nuke. It's not for actual work, just something to remind me of the before time in the long long ago.

Shake was actually still working up to... Mavericks, I think. Fun to mess around with, and I still wonder sometimes how the high-end compositing market would look today if Apple hadn't trashed it.