Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The big fire attack only happens if you get under the body of the dragon, it's specifically designed to make you stop doing that and fight him while standing near the head. Attacking anything but the head also does no damage so there's little reason to stand under the dragon. Just stand in front of him and he'll do the easy to dodge attacks that let you hit the head 2-3 times afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can you infuse shields and what does it do to their stats? If you bless one do you get the health regen?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kaldaris posted:

How the hell are people only around SL30 in the swamps and SL50 around the Pontiff? If I'm not actively watching it, my SL is always skyrocketed way past that, normally like 40's in the swamp and 60-70 by the time I reach the Pontiff. It's a loving mystery to me. After six characters I can't see why people's SL's would be so low.

i'm sl30 in the catacombs. i feel like i havent levelled up for a long while though, been spending my souls on buying random bits of poo poo and upgrades.

its not like the swamps, farron and catacombs are hard though, i think 40's would be overleveled.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think being over/underleveled depends heavily on your playstyle. I never run past enemies (fighting them is part of the fun) so I naturally end up at a much higher level than other people I see who run past enemies. If you get lost or have to do a boss run over and over, that can result in a lot of levels compared to a player who just hightails it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Can you infuse shields and what does it do to their stats? If you bless one do you get the health regen?

Yes, and yes. Infusions, depending on the type, typically lower block rates, but don't affect Stability (as far as I can tell, anyways). Blessed kind of sucks, but it's worthwhile to get, say, a Buckler or something similar and infuse it with Simple to have a constant (if meager) supply of FP.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The big fire attack only happens if you get under the body of the dragon, it's specifically designed to make you stop doing that and fight him while standing near the head. Attacking anything but the head also does no damage so there's little reason to stand under the dragon. Just stand in front of him and he'll do the easy to dodge attacks that let you hit the head 2-3 times afterward.

You can stand infront of the dragon and to the right to dodge the fire breath and head swipe. I sat there and nuked him down last night.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Invading has never been so frustrating in the series.

Half the time theres 2 phantoms or being summoned, the other half the host runs into a fogdoor 5 seconds in.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Not taking the 5 free levels and using all the boss souls on weapons (especially the ones that cost extra souls) and buying the 20k key could easily set you back 10-15 levels by Pontiff.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Half the time theres 2 phantoms or being summoned, the other half the host runs into a fogdoor 5 seconds in.

I run into groups of 4 or more a lot of the time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Aw man, it's almost like they wanted to make it difficult to be a dick.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Not taking the 5 free levels and using all the boss souls on weapons (especially the ones that cost extra souls) and buying the 20k key could easily set you back 10-15 levels by Pontiff.

The 5 free levels costs 5 actual levels remove. I'm up to like 250k souls to remove the dark sigil now. gently caress that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

why would you remove it

I don't see the point

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

That's a good point, and in this game you can sell stuff too. If you just pump everything into levels, you'll easily get way past the "general level range" of the areas.

The king of doing that is still DS2 though, in that game you can be level 100 in just a couple of hours if you focus on leveling :getin:

Mortimer posted:

why would you remove it

I don't see the point

Hey I spent like 2 hours in the character creator, not gonna let all that go to waste :colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mortimer posted:

why would you remove it

I don't see the point

It makes your character ugly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mortimer posted:

why would you remove it

I don't see the point

My pretty princess is jerkyfied.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Its mewling newborn mode for the invaded, youre literally drowning in summon signs everywhere.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I think being over/underleveled depends heavily on your playstyle. I never run past enemies (fighting them is part of the fun) so I naturally end up at a much higher level than other people I see who run past enemies. If you get lost or have to do a boss run over and over, that can result in a lot of levels compared to a player who just hightails it.

I generally spend my souls on armor and weapons and ammo until I feel like my levels are falling behind.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its mewling newborn mode for the invaded, youre literally drowning in summon signs everywhere.

:qq: play structured pvp then

don't cry about not getting to gank people

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Spanish Manlove posted:

Play offline if you want your little easy mode.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ganking should be hard, or hilarious. Be a joker, not an assassin.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mortimer posted:

:qq: play structured pvp then

don't cry about not getting to gank people

invaders can't gank idiot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

No, this absolutely could not happen in DS2.

DS2 straight-up did not allow you to apply arbitrary special effects to weapon strikes or bullets, the best you could do was add Petrify AR.

This is a uniquely DS1-era fuckup. It has been made worse by trolls releasing this crap to the public in an easy-to-use form.

This said, I'm reasonably sure Soulsucker does not actually work on other players. It just displays the message.

...Unless there's one I missed that does work.

Welp.

I'm suddenly tempted to go buy the PS4 version so I don't have to play offline forever out of fear of being softbanned and having to play offline forever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GulagDolls posted:

Phantom has entered the thread.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Mortimer posted:

why would you remove it

I don't see the point

So you can get 5 more free levels in the next playthrough. Imagine getting 5 free levels if you overlevel really high and need like 5 mil per level. Suddenly it's worth it, even if only for 5 levels and never to pay it off.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

imo if you get invaded and you go through the fog door, the invader should be able to follow you.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mortimer posted:

why would you remove it

I don't see the point

Being hollowed affects summoning, the more hollowed you are the fewer summon options you get

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

So you can get 5 more free levels in the next playthrough. Imagine getting 5 free levels if you overlevel really high and need like 5 mil per level. Suddenly it's worth it, even if only for 5 levels and never to pay it off.

I'm replaying the entire game again to get 5 levels guys.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Be a joker, not an assassin.
That's what the Mound Pounders are for.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Wait, you don't lose the hollowing when you go to NG+?

is that just speculation or what actually happens

Filthy Hans posted:

Being hollowed affects summoning, the more hollowed you are the fewer summon options you get

that's not true at all

Szcwczuk posted:

Agreed. It's stupid how many ways these kids can get away from half the game.

:qq: if they get away, then they won the fight, cya back in your own world ya big red dummy

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

GulagDolls posted:

imo if you get invaded and you go through the fog door, the invader should be able to follow you.

Agreed. It's stupid how many ways these kids can get away from half the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

They could also have a windup time for accessing the fog door where you're still vulnerable, like a certain other game had.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I am literally invading as a Silver Knight archer and although it's ineffective, it's loving rad. None of my hosts get away without looking like pincushions.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

imagine it now.... Ornstein & Smough...& D7RKMEMEKID Jeff

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

They could also have a windup time for accessing the fog door where you're still vulnerable, like a certain other game had.

Did they remove that? I was wondering about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

If invasion is supposed to be no fun at all for the invader, why even have the Red Eye Orb in the game?

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I was just disappointed that there is no Mirror Knight summoning equivalent in DS3, with the amount of players online right now it's a rage inducing encounter waiting to happen.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ganking should be hard, or hilarious. Be a joker, not an assassin.

Even I appreciate hilarious invaders, and everyone probably knows what I think of PvP by now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GulagDolls posted:

Usually a gank is a surprise attack. The invader is the "ganker". In DS for some reason people say it when they mean they are getting ganged up on. Similar to how when people say they "one shot" the boss they mean they beat it on the first try, not killed it in one hit (the normal meaning)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

If invasion is supposed to be no fun at all for the invader, why even have the Red Eye Orb in the game?

Why have a poise stat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Did they remove that? I was wondering about it.

They did. DS2 was the only one that had that, I'm pretty sure.

As a dedicated practitioner of the Run Right By school of dealing with enemies on the way to retry a boss, I'm glad it's gone.