Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wyatt Derp posted:

Are you guys mostly active on Jedi Covenant or on Harbinger as well?

This thread is mostly JC people, but we're not super active at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Can't seem to clarify this, but I just came back after a very long layoff and chose the start a new level 60 character. Can I not do any of the original quests chains starting at level 1? I got to 65 and seem to be able to get Hutt Cartel stuff from my ship and that's about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vendictus Prime posted:

Can't seem to clarify this, but I just came back after a very long layoff and chose the start a new level 60 character. Can I not do any of the original quests chains starting at level 1? I got to 65 and seem to be able to get Hutt Cartel stuff from my ship and that's about it.

Yes, if you choose a "start at 60" character you can't do any of the original class content (as it notes when you start the character)

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Medullah posted:

Yes, (as it notes when you start the character)

welp, read right past that statement.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the conquest stuff? I'm not jumping into the expansions yet so does that limit what I can do as a level 50? Will I be able to help the guild at all? How do I even go about doing conquest stuff?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Trast posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the conquest stuff? I'm not jumping into the expansions yet so does that limit what I can do as a level 50? Will I be able to help the guild at all? How do I even go about doing conquest stuff?
you can do all the conquest stuff at any level. take a look at the objectives, you could do it entirely just by grinding (tons of) pvp warzones. i don't know about the contribution stuff, but i think it's worth it to do it just to get a strategic resource matrix that you can sell for at least 400k credits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Trast posted:

The Dulfy guide is still the best - but the short of it is yes, you can participate at every level (sub 65 best is PvP and group finder flashpoints).

Your goal should be to hit your conquest for the personal reward - we don't have the people playing right now to hit top 10 on a planet (right now guild is sitting at 100k points when 10th is 500k). We'd need quite a bit more participation to start placing again.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

was curious about nico okarr, so i did some googling to find out if i could get him as a new player. this lead me to a thread on the swtor forums with tons of people talking about how it would be a war crime only slightly less severe than the holocaust to let people who didn't EARN him to get him.

should find a final solution for people who play video games imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cams posted:

was curious about nico okarr, so i did some googling to find out if i could get him as a new player. this lead me to a thread on the swtor forums with tons of people talking about how it would be a war crime only slightly less severe than the holocaust to let people who didn't EARN him to get him.

should find a final solution for people who play video games imo

You're not missing much. There's a two minute recruitment mission that you can watch on YouTube, but otherwise he's identical to all the other companions.

It's such a double edged sword, I love that you can use whatever companion you want now, but all their uniqueness is done (GOD DAMMIT NADIA I USED FORCE IN BALANCE RIGHT AS YOU KNOCKED EVERYONE BACK). I just did the Revan single fight again and I was bummed because I remember how cool it was at the time "Oh Lana is a healer, nice! Of course Theron is a lovely gunslinger, and man Marr would be a cool tank to have!"

Now I have 30 companions who are interchangeable. The funny thing is, if they had just kept them incredibly OP like they were at 4.0 launch they could have kept the unique roles since they were so powerful combined with simple content you could have used whichever you wanted anyway.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Medullah posted:

You're not missing much. There's a two minute recruitment mission that you can watch on YouTube, but otherwise he's identical to all the other companions.

It's such a double edged sword, I love that you can use whatever companion you want now, but all their uniqueness is done (GOD DAMMIT NADIA I USED FORCE IN BALANCE RIGHT AS YOU KNOCKED EVERYONE BACK). I just did the Revan single fight again and I was bummed because I remember how cool it was at the time "Oh Lana is a healer, nice! Of course Theron is a lovely gunslinger, and man Marr would be a cool tank to have!"

Now I have 30 companions who are interchangeable. The funny thing is, if they had just kept them incredibly OP like they were at 4.0 launch they could have kept the unique roles since they were so powerful combined with simple content you could have used whichever you wanted anyway.

I happen to like being able to switch roles on the companions because some of them are annoying assholes.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Medullah posted:

The Dulfy guide is still the best - but the short of it is yes, you can participate at every level (sub 65 best is PvP and group finder flashpoints).

Your goal should be to hit your conquest for the personal reward - we don't have the people playing right now to hit top 10 on a planet (right now guild is sitting at 100k points when 10th is 500k). We'd need quite a bit more participation to start placing again.

What conquest is this week anyways? And do you know next week's yet? Sorry if it's in the login note I just haven't logged into my marauder in a while.

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.
http://dulfy.net/2014/08/07/swtor-planetary-conquests-guide/#Conquest_Revenge_of_the_Revanites

Scheduled list at the top of the page for the next month(?)

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Bookmarked now, thank you.

Another general question since it doesn't look possible to reach 10k solo, have they fixed group finder yet?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
What's the best way to get 208+ gear?

As a tank I feel like I'm kind of at a wall. I tried tanking a HM flashpoint and it was a disaster, but apparently our healer was hot garbage too. Should I try again? Is 208 suffice for HM tanking? All I want to do is tank some hard-modes.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackdog420 posted:

What's the best way to get 208+ gear?

As a tank I feel like I'm kind of at a wall. I tried tanking a HM flashpoint and it was a disaster, but apparently our healer was hot garbage too. Should I try again? Is 208 suffice for HM tanking? All I want to do is tank some hard-modes.

Group finder Operations. HM Flashpoints are considerably more difficult than Operations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the paradigm shift posted:

Bookmarked now, thank you.

Another general question since it doesn't look possible to reach 10k solo, have they fixed group finder yet?

I've never had an issue with getting points from group finder. Make sure that a) You select all available flashpoints, b) You complete the flashpoint - people have complained that they didn't get credit when they missed the final step of the flashpoint (Clicking on a terminal in Battle of Rishi, exiting area and talking to Malgus via terminal in a bunch of them, etc)

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Group finder Operations. HM Flashpoints are considerably more difficult than Operations.

Yeah, to reiterate on this - HM Flashpoints are pretty awful and pointless. There are a couple that aren't bad, but for the most part they're much harder than running a SM operation group. And the gear is infinitely better in Ops -not only does every boss drop an unassembled token for optimized 216 gear, but they have a chance of dropping a non-optimized random piece of 216 gear just for you. So in an easy, Story Mode Operation you have 5-6 chances at a piece of good 216 gear, and almost a guarantee of getting a piece of mediocre 216 gear. In contrast, Hard Mode flashpoints only drop 1 piece of 216 gear, which is essentially the same as the mediocre gear dropped by bosses randomly for people, which you have to roll against 3 other people for.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Medullah posted:

Yeah, to reiterate on this - HM Flashpoints are pretty awful and pointless. There are a couple that aren't bad, but for the most part they're much harder than running a SM operation group. And the gear is infinitely better in Ops -not only does every boss drop an unassembled token for optimized 216 gear, but they have a chance of dropping a non-optimized random piece of 216 gear just for you. So in an easy, Story Mode Operation you have 5-6 chances at a piece of good 216 gear, and almost a guarantee of getting a piece of mediocre 216 gear. In contrast, Hard Mode flashpoints only drop 1 piece of 216 gear, which is essentially the same as the mediocre gear dropped by bosses randomly for people, which you have to roll against 3 other people for.

On the flip side though, they're usually shorter and you have to herd only half as many cats to actually do them. Plus they have simpler* mechanics, so you might be able to come out ahead in time/effort/reward terms.

*lol

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Dalris Othaine posted:

On the flip side though, they're usually shorter and you have to herd only half as many cats to actually do them. Plus they have simpler* mechanics, so you might be able to come out ahead in time/effort/reward terms.

*lol

SM Ops don't really have any mechanics any more and the damage output in HM flash points means your tank and healer are going to die. I'm fill BIS gear on my healer and I still won't touch HM flash points through group finder.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

SM Ops don't really have any mechanics any more and the damage output in HM flash points means your tank and healer are going to die. I'm fill BIS gear on my healer and I still won't touch HM flash points through group finder.

Yeah this, in 99% of the pug SM ops I run now well over half the group knows the operation inside and out so it's a joke to complete it, since even the people that don't know what they're doing are bolstered and damage output is light. If even one person is undergeared and doesn't know the fights in HM Flashpoints, you're gonna have a bad day. Sure there are a few easy ones like Hammer Station, Boarding Party, etc, but I guarantee you a SM run of any operation is going to be easier than trying to pug HM Blood Hunt or Battle of Rishi.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Medullah posted:

I've never had an issue with getting points from group finder. Make sure that a) You select all available flashpoints, b) You complete the flashpoint - people have complained that they didn't get credit when they missed the final step of the flashpoint (Clicking on a terminal in Battle of Rishi, exiting area and talking to Malgus via terminal in a bunch of them, etc).

No it's legit broken for some people, including me. On the screen it says I'm eligible for the weekly reward, but there is no weekly reward by it. Then when I do it I don't get conquest points for it. Customer service was no help, either. Someone said that you just needed to do the first Flashpoint to reset it, but that didn't work either.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just got to Alderaan, who designed this planet, and can we tie them to a chair and hurl curse words at them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got to Alderaan, who designed this planet, and can we tie them to a chair and hurl curse words at them?

Just curse words?

Look at this Republic lightweight.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sounds like someone is in for a surprise when they get to Corellia!

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Darth Vader did nothing wrong.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Sounds like someone is in for a surprise when they get to Corellia!

Yeah Alderaan is nowhere near as bad as Corellia. At least the graphics are great. Corellia was like "Alright guys, we're about to finish the last planet, how can we gently caress with the fans?" and someone replied "Let's put the objective points right next to the taxis, but people have go go through 3 miles of corridors to get to them?" "BRILLIANT"

At least all the taxi ponits are unlocked everywhere right away now. That alone should make Alderaan much less annoying.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah Alderaan is nowhere near as bad as Corellia. At least the graphics are great. Corellia was like "Alright guys, we're about to finish the last planet, how can we gently caress with the fans?" and someone replied "Let's put the objective points right next to the taxis, but people have go go through 3 miles of corridors to get to them?" "BRILLIANT"
The worst thing about Corellia is its nonsensical, labyrinthine layout with arbitrarily blocked passages everywhere that frequently require you to make detours to reach the objective's area. It's the only planet that absolutely demands you closely study the (none-too-clear) map if you don't want to be constantly running into dead ends.

At least you can afford to give most of the side missions amiss nowadays, limiting the tortuous experience of navigating Corellia.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You can't do that unfortunately, but playing as Trooper or BH does give you some cathartic opportunities to smack snooty nobles around.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Sombrerotron posted:

It's the only planet that absolutely demands you closely study the (none-too-clear) map if you don't want to be constantly running into dead ends.

A map that you don't start with discovered, thus preventing you from using it to navigate.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I actually sort of like Corellia on the high concept level - it really does feel like the sort of giant future space city that Corellia would be.

It's a punch in the dick to navigate, but I can appreciate it for what it is :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dalris Othaine posted:

I actually sort of like Corellia on the high concept level - it really does feel like the sort of giant future space city that Corellia would be.

It's a punch in the dick to navigate, but I can appreciate it for what it is :v:

Also, there's a war going on, so it makes a little sense that it's such a wreck.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

The worst thing about Corellia is its nonsensical, labyrinthine layout with arbitrarily blocked passages everywhere that frequently require you to make detours to reach the objective's area. It's the only planet that absolutely demands you closely study the (none-too-clear) map if you don't want to be constantly running into dead ends.

At least you can afford to give most of the side missions amiss nowadays, limiting the tortuous experience of navigating Corellia.

At least Corellia doesn't cause the graphical slowdown Alderaan does. Something about the grass on that planet just murders my framerate even when i turn it all the way off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can't do that unfortunately, but playing as Trooper or BH does give you some cathartic opportunities to smack snooty nobles around.

I do like the BH questline. "Dude I jumped through all your hoops and made you look like a big man, but I'm not your personal murderslave." I also like how Leaving Tarro Blood to die, alone and forgotten is the light side option

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

At least Corellia doesn't cause the graphical slowdown Alderaan does. Something about the grass on that planet just murders my framerate even when i turn it all the way off.
Are you sure it's the grass and not the shadow mapping?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Also, there's a war going on, so it makes a little sense that it's such a wreck.

Presumably in peace time nobody is manually navigating like we're forced to do.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

Are you sure it's the grass and not the shadow mapping?

It might be, but it's always worse where there's lots of grass, could be both. Either way it's hell and I hated it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

I also like how Leaving Tarro Blood to die, alone and forgotten is the light side option

I loved that part, and so did Mako. Nope, no dignified death for you. I'm just going to leave you in your cell while I blow this ship to bits.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
Taris is also a gigantic pain in the rear end. You have to run around fallen crap for 10 minutes to get to a spot right next to you on the map.

Cythereal posted:

I loved that part, and so did Mako. Nope, no dignified death for you. I'm just going to leave you in your cell while I blow this ship to bits.

I was emotionally satisfied with that as opposed to outright killing him.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Oh, man, so I have worse in store for me? This really was a game designed for masochists.

Alderaan tanks my FPS as well, I thought it was the AA I had set to very high but lowering it to medium didn't make much of a difference. Going to try grass / shadows next. 3570k @ 4.4 / 7970 @ 1ghz

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Fortunately, this isn't a twitch-sensitive game, so FPS isn't important.

That said, I've never had issues with it. I know it isn't terribly optimized, but it's also really old, so I can't imagine why you'd have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For anyone who still has stories to see, there's double XP the next week starting tomorrow. If you're a former subscriber you can always click a referral link and get subscriber benefits for the next 7 days. :) (Can only do that once per 90 days).

• Locked thread