Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

Bulgogi owns.

Dulsot Bibimbap actually, but yes, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Zephyrine posted:

We put so much effort into this "out of game community" of a coalition with the other allies to form a stronger bond. Then someone puts a little pressure on us and nearly all our allies snap like bread sticks instantly.

I've been enduring FCON for two years and then when the Mongolians are finally at the ramparts. All FCON did was go "see ya!" and then I'm not even allowed to shoot FCON in the back as they jump over the wall and run into the woods.

I actually read something the other day that made this (and basically everything about FCON) make more sense

https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/169851-freightergate-2012-fa-vs-fcon-edition/

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

kimchi jjigae

killertunes
Jun 13, 2012

Tastes like chicken!

Foehammer007 posted:

kimchi jjigae

Looks like it'd make ya fart sparks.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zephyrine posted:

The Viceroy thing was fine. Just evil enough.

The CFC/Imperium simply became fat from spending two years unopposed. The real fighters left for more active groups because fights need a fight. In their place and we recruited thousands of bears. Who had no problem staying because "not fighting" was just what they wanted.

The whole viceroy thing would perhaps have been a fine way to get those fights, but maybe it needed to have happened earlier, or have targeted other parts of 0.0 (who mostly already hated us) instead of lowsec (who hardly gave a poo poo about us except as a source of ~content~).

That said, I don't know if the problem is precisely "too many carebears, all the fighters left", except maybe in the specific context of supercapitals (but that seems like it was inevitable as long as PL et al could out-escalate us, which they could always do except in the specific situation of the Halloween War/B-R where we had the Russians in tow).

There were plenty of ways to get smaller-scale fights in the past two years from various SIGs or even (to a limited extent) from home defense, and indeed for the one HUGE TIMER EVENT of this war we were still able to pull something like 2k, which was enough to win (for example) 6VDT. It's just that our enemies pulled 4k, because we finally managed to piss off too many people (or, perhaps more accurately, too much money.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 29, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Xolve posted:

100 Machs will probably poo poo on 150 Maels as long as you fit them properly (i.e. not whatever that poor yacht fleet fit was).

Although this was probably more of sourcing the necessary fittings for 500+ dudes than a cost issue. There's a reason rank and file infantry doesn't share the same kit as Navy Seals/SOGs.

Okay yeah but you know what I mean.

I'm okay with Titans existing - I just think their utility should be limited to anti-cap and, in some specifically-fit-for situations, anti-BS.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Short of being dropped on by PL/Ncdot caps, EG was able to take on literally any group subcap wise. Long live Vee

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Xolve posted:

There's a reason rank and file infantry doesn't share the same kit as Navy Seals/SOGs.

To be fair. It's not a cost issue. But when we adopt a doctrine the market needs to be able to supply the thousand or so ships needed along with all fittings.

After the market meets that demand. There needs to be enough of a supply left for the market to be protected against "market fuckery" For example someone buying up all deadspace modules of a certain kind and relisting them at ridiculous prices.

We have had doctrines that had to use T1 rigs simply because there weren't enough T2 rigs of that type to outfit fleets and replacements.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zephyrine posted:

To be fair. It's not a cost issue. But when we adopt a doctrine the market needs to be able to supply the thousand or so ships needed along with all fittings.

This is pretty much what he said, yeah. Mostly I just thought we learned that lesson after that hilarious failure of a TFI doctrine back in...what was it, Fountain?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Dallan Invictus posted:

The whole viceroy thing would perhaps have been a fine way to get those fights, but maybe it needed to have happened earlier, or have targeted other parts of 0.0 (who mostly already hated us) instead of lowsec (who hardly gave a poo poo about us except as a source of ~content~).

That said, I don't know if the problem is precisely "too many carebears, all the fighters left", except maybe in the specific context of supercapitals (but that seems like it was inevitable as long as PL et al could out-escalate us, which they could always do except in the specific situation of the Halloween War/B-R where we had the Russians in tow).

There were plenty of ways to get smaller-scale fights in the past two years from various SIGs or even (to a limited extent) from home defense, and indeed for the one HUGE TIMER EVENT of this war we were still able to pull something like 2k, which was enough to win (for example_ GVDT. It's just that our enemies pulled 4k, because we finally managed to piss off too many people (or, perhaps more accurately, too much money.)

I doubt anyone came to the MBC out of anger. They came because they loved the idea of kicking over the sandcastle of Eves most notorious sand castle-kickers. The same people who trampled all over Provi and Brave at the same time for the same reasons. Because it was fun.

They came for fun and spite. They smelled blood in the water and came for a bite.

Besides. If we hadn't gone after lowsec for some fighting. We would probably have died of boredom on our own. Because the only nullsec entities who would take a fight from us was too far away. And in Fozzie sov we couldn't afford to leave Deklein for more than a few days at a time.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
dont die or cry or get a dick in the eye

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Foehammer007 posted:

dont [...] get a dick in the eye

no kinkshaming

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/K2iY7r6.mp4

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone give me a venture/endurance (?) fitting to relax and mine in highsec. Possibly also fitting advice for other mining ships. I can apparently fly mining barges and almost expedition frigates.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
the cfc failed because people don't have to play a game

many were starved of content and bored, and all of eve suffered since there was "nothing" going on

groups like PL and NCDOT have a natural advantage because there are very few places to go beyond these groups, so they'll have better retention of the high-skill players which are the real tactical asset in eve

Lordbaldur
Apr 25, 2016
so they can take our name because the mittani owns ccp?

we all know the ppl who are here because they are true goons and those that are not and pretty sure the people in the "oligarchy" are(not), and we know who that name belongs to, but because ~~reasons~ wright must be wrong?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Xolve posted:

I'm mostly on the fence with the new capital changes- for a laundry list of reasons. I'm okay with Titans shredding fleets as long as those doomsdays also kill friendlies (which they do) and they lose a mega portion of buffer (which they have)- but I'm still of the belief that Titans existing is a mistake.

Titans and super carriers to a lesser extent were always a mistake since it gave a single player too much power over a large number of players so aoe effects were removed and the game was fun again. The lance ones cone ones are still silly for the same reason but no where near as bad since titans are no longer unkillable ewar immune fire through a cyno bullshit but also because they still need to be aimed.

Even the sit a titan between two gates and fire a cone as a fleet warps by one is ok, not great just ok, because it can be avoided and the titan is being put a risk by sitting out in bum gently caress no where. If someone wants to do that or sit their titan on a gate and fire at poo poo come through then that is fine because they are risking the ship. The old aoe doomsday weapons never had anything near the current risk attached.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Lordbaldur posted:

we all know the ppl who are here because they are true goons and those that are not and pretty sure the people in the "oligarchy" are(not), and we know who that name belongs to, but because ~~reasons~ wright must be wrong?

:forkbomb:
:wmwink:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Lordbaldur posted:

has anyone ever tried to explain coherency to you

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm glad I wasn't the only one unable to decipher whatever that post is.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

has anyone ever tried to explain coherency to you

Stop touching the poop.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think I get what he was trying to say but I wish I didn't.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

many were starved of content and bored, and all of eve suffered since there was "nothing" going on

groups like PL and NCDOT have a natural advantage because there are very few places to go beyond these groups, so they'll have better retention of the high-skill players which are the real tactical asset in eve

The CFC failed because we continue to make long term strategic mistakes under the mistaken assumption that our single direction "Bro Pact" will one day be reciprocated. Basically despite constantly talking about twisting the knife, every single time we get a knife into someone we immediately go all limp wristed, like we caught a spell of the vapors at seeing blood or something. Like B-R should have been deadzoned indefinitely, all of the super pos caged and we should have just squatted there for as long as it took. Playing H1Z1 in one window while the "Log on to finish this." button was available in the other. See what PL/NC. did to the russians for about 2 years straight if you need a refresher on just being vicious.

Lordbaldur
Apr 25, 2016

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think I get what he was trying to say but I wish I didn't.

basically what your profile is trying to say :) this is not an illuminati organization.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lordbaldur posted:

Did you have a stroke? Should we contact paramedics for you?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

Stop touching the poop.

you want me to stop talking to you? hosed up

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

The CFC failed because we continue to make long term strategic mistakes under the mistaken assumption that our single direction "Bro Pact" will one day be reciprocated. Basically despite constantly talking about twisting the knife, every single time we get a knife into someone we immediately go all limp wristed, like we caught a spell of the vapors at seeing blood or something. Like B-R should have been deadzoned indefinitely, all of the super pos caged and we should have just squatted there for as long as it took. Playing H1Z1 in one window while the "Log on to finish this." button was available in the other. See what PL/NC. did to the russians for about 2 years straight if you need a refresher on just being vicious.

correct, we should have grudgefucked pl to death

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Foehammer007 posted:

kimchi jjigae

Had that for lunch. With some haemul pajon.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

The CFC failed because we continue to make long term strategic mistakes under the mistaken assumption that our single direction "Bro Pact" will one day be reciprocated. Basically despite constantly talking about twisting the knife, every single time we get a knife into someone we immediately go all limp wristed, like we caught a spell of the vapors at seeing blood or something.

I'm not sure whether this is because of a lack of viciousness on the part of leadership (or too much sympathy for PL) or because

Landsknecht posted:

and we don't have as many players crazy enough to simply camp a deadzoned staging system forever or do all the unfun poo poo it would take to sit on (what was left of) PL's supercap fleet forever. Even PR- only lasted a month before we didn't have enough people to hold it, and remember when we were going to stamp out BoB wherever they dared to rear their heads in 0.0 again? How long did that grudgefuck last?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 29, 2016

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is almost as if people have better things to do with their time than camp other players 24/7 in a spaceship game.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah letting PL off the hook in VFK and in B-R were kinda pretty big woopsies.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

BigPaddy posted:

It is almost as if people have better things to do with their time than camp other players 24/7 in a spaceship game.

i see you dont play eve online

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

so you admit that the cfc has failed? now that the coalition has failed and there's no longer the ~morale~ to get 1500 bodies in a fleet, it'll be interesting to see what happens

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am doing an exploration mission and oh my goodness

That is legitimately terrifying!

Also, they gave me a new ship to fly and do this in! So please everyone meet Ore, my little Bantam :D

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

so you admit that the cfc has failed? now that the coalition has failed and there's no longer the ~morale~ to get 1500 bodies in a fleet, it'll be interesting to see what happens

yeah the guy who has always been doom and gloom said something doom and gloom, hmm yes fascinating

you read too much into poo poo

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

VideoGames posted:

I am doing an exploration mission and oh my goodness

That is legitimately terrifying!

Also, they gave me a new ship to fly and do this in! So please everyone meet Ore, my little Bantam :D

have you finished all the newbie mission arcs? you get at least one destroyer, a venture, and some other stuff

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

have you finished all the newbie mission arcs? you get at least one destroyer, a venture, and some other stuff

I finished all the industry missions in my Caldari starting location place. Now I am doing the exploration lady ones.

So Abishi Tian is all done!

Unachi is who I am working with now, then I am going to try to find some other people because I'm not interested much in business or military.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Landsknecht posted:

Goonswarm itself and the allies still standing aren't fail cascading or anything, so it's less interesting than you probably think.

As far as the 1500 bodies in fleet go: We haven't had anything called for that calls for those kind of numbers yet. I'd argue we could still hurf that kind of participation. When I say the coalition failed: I mean it failed to do what was arguably it's core purpose for existing. Stopping a steamroller. Well the steamroller has rolled, and we're pretty much coasting on the other side now. As people start to settle into their ~new forever homes~ things are going to be very interesting for the new tenants.

As far as fozzie sov goes: Suddenly small to medium gang pvp is really loving important to holding/taking space, we're going to have to take a crash course on that kind of thing because as a coalition we've largely shat on the concept of small "Punch above weight" pvp for ages now, and it turns out when 20 or 30 nodes are being hacked at once, you can't hurf 2000 dudes for each one.

This sov system is basically a small gang dudes wet dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

As far as fozzie sov goes: Suddenly small to medium gang pvp is really loving important to holding/taking space, we're going to have to take a crash course on that kind of thing because as a coalition we've largely shat on the concept of small "Punch above weight" pvp for ages now, and it turns out when 20 or 30 nodes are being hacked at once, you can't hurf 2000 dudes for each one.

This sov system is basically a small gang dudes wet dream.

the new sov system is a vast improvement because the previous one was just an escalation challenge

• Locked thread