Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Yeah, it's not really a thing anymore.

Although it is kind of fun to think that despite whatever's going on with these hot dudes and their spirit animals, somewhere out there in this world it's not inconceivable that a monk is punching a vampire with the power of the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
To be fair Josuke was trespassing and threatening to damage Keicho's property.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cool. I barely recognized his voice.

Thumbtacks posted:

Can anyone except Joseph really even use hamon anymore? Seems like it's just Stands forever now.

If they're still alive, Lisa Lisa and Messina. Aside from that, I can't imagine there are any still living Ripple Warriors left.

Now, considering how Zeppeli found out about the Hamon, there's probably some guys around the world using it for holistic medicine or something.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

where was the red hot chili pecker

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

As has been stated, one kanji can have many readings, and sometimes it's not obvious what reading you use, such as in a name.

Also, kanji are loving hard to learn and not even a lot of adults have complete mastery of them, let alone the younger audience that reads Jump.

In fact, there are certification tests you can take to prove how good you are at reading and writing kanji. Only a couple thousand people even attempt the hardest one every year. It requires knowing how to write them with the correct stroke order, all the possible readings, the relationships between the modern and classical versions of kanji, etc. And there are like more than 6000 different characters in total.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

Hamon is never seen again after Part 3

I like to imagine the practitioners are still out there, pissed about how better Stands are.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This but with a transparent kakyoin over it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Keicho's thinking was "Josuke killed Angelo, so obviously he's going to be investigating what's going on and he's gonna take the bow and arrow."

This is it, yeah

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Okuyasu's smile is hands down the most heart warming thing ever.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Absolutely not ashamed to admit that I cried a little

I got close. Keicho and Okuyasu's relationship to their father hit surprisingly well with me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's pretty unreal how david have got absolutely everything down about JoJo. They can do the action, they have the comedy down but the hardest bit is probably doing the heartwrenching/warming parts but gently caress if they haven't nailed all of those too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Saagonsa posted:

I hope every major character gets a new(?) scene where they tell Josuke they think his mom is hot

Yeah that scene was added.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like the anime is vindicating my decision not to read the manga for this part. That went in an unexpected and surprisingly touching direction. I suppose if I get desperate for a Jojo's fix I could pick up Steel Ball Run instead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't skip parts

Okuyasu is a perfect boy

but

So is Part 4 art DIO.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This episode was really great and I Got A Feeling.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

*mumbles something about stands being a ripple power*

*no one cares*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki retconned that out like 2 chapters after it was introduced.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Condiv posted:

it's like when that vampire was being called "idiot" in japanese and they left it untranslated so the joke was incomprehensible

The worst part about this one is that five seconds on Jisho will give you a really great translation for "a nickname for a stupid guy"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

The worst part about this one is that five seconds on Jisho will give you a really great translation for "a nickname for a stupid guy"

"The Fool" was already taken though

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If I'm just getting into JoJo, should I just start from Season 1 that takes place in 1865 or whatever or should I start with Part 4? It's all on Crunchyroll.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You generally start stories at the beginning yes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

cmykjester posted:

You generally start stories at the beginning yes.

It wasn't an issue watching Lupin III from the beginning of Part IV, not sure if JoJo is more interconnected than that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It wasn't an issue watching Lupin III from the beginning of Part IV, not sure if JoJo is more interconnected than that.

While each part is able to stand on its own, JoJo does have an overarching story over the first half, and even part one, the weakest of all 8, is full of hilarious and awesome moments.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If I'm just getting into JoJo, should I just start from Season 1 that takes place in 1865 or whatever or should I start with Part 4? It's all on Crunchyroll.

start from the beginning. parts one and two are pretty short too, so its not like you have a ton to slog through. it's all good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm watching a random episode in HD and it looks pretty amazing. I'm a fan already of the stylish animation and manly bravado.

But what are Stands exactly? Are they like astral projections you can control and fight people with?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
If you're not understanding central parts of the story, maybe you should try watching the episodes in order. That tends to help.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm watching a random episode in HD and it looks pretty amazing. I'm a fan already of the stylish animation and manly bravado.

But what are Stands exactly? Are they like astral projections you can control and fight people with?

basically but really they can be anything.

edit: also watch the series in order

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Please watch JoJo in order

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Basically. They're a psychic projection of the users will, but the level of control the user has varies. Some stands are basically just an extension of your body, others can go off and do things completely independently. They can be and do anything, potentially, which is what makes them so great for a long running series like this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

Basically. They're a psychic projection of the users will, but the level of control the user has varies. Some stands are basically just an extension of your body, others can go off and do things completely independently. They can be and do anything, potentially, which is what makes them so great for a long running series like this.

Thanks for this. Are they unique to an individual person or do they exist independently and you can control them?

Anyways, yeah, not trying to be irritating, I'm just new and will go back and watch from the first episode. It just looks a little confusing at first glance. It's probably explained thoroughly when watched in order. Thanks for the input at least.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Thanks for this. Are they unique to an individual person or do they exist independently and you can control them?

Anyways, yeah, not trying to be irritating, I'm just new and will go back and watch from the first episode. Thanks for the input at least.

They are unique to an individual, but even that rule gets bent sometimes. There are both types, some you control directly and some can just go off and do their own thing even if you don't want them to.

When I say anything I mean anything.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yes

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Alright, well I'm going to back and watch from the first episode then. Should be good!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Alright, well I'm going to back and watch from the first episode then. Should be good!

If you feel up to it, we always welcome liveblogging while you watch.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Share your thought's and tier list's, please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Lupin parts are distinctly different series that have their own continuities.

Jojo parts are arcs in the same timeline.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

hoobajoo posted:

If you feel up to it, we always welcome liveblogging while you watch.

Live blogging? Really?

Well, I guess so. I'll type up a few words on my reactions every other episode or so then.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Live blogging? Really?

Well, I guess so. I'll type up a few words on my reactions every other episode or so then.

Also if anyone tells you to skip any JoJo parts/episodes, ignore them because they are most likely a horrible monster.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cool Persona 4 ref at the end there

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Okuyasu is a good boy and his continued presence in the story is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Gonna start from the beginning after this, but...

Holy poo poo, he just punched through a hostage to a guy and left his knife inside him after he pulled his fist back out. :stare::stare::stare:

• Locked thread