Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
according to skysports, canelo is leaving the middleweight division http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10259750/saul-alvarez-told-hell-lose-his-wbc-world-title-unless-he-faces-gennady-golovkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are easier big fights for him at 154 lb and plenty of them. There are plenty of welterweights that will happily gain 6 pounds to fight Canelo for a few million. It'll look better for him than the current situation of tacking on a pound and calling it a "middleweight fight."

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gtkor posted:

Uchiyama just had no way to deal with that left hand. Kinda wild considering how many fights he has had that he would have never seen something like that or not have been able to prepare for it.

Yeah it was like he never saw a southpaw before.

Edit: Also on Jacobs I was genuinely curious what you guys saw I was only familiar with him from the Kid Chocolate fight and youtube where I saw him KO'd by Pirog and thought "what does he have for GGG?" I guess him or Billy Joe Saunders are up. I would like to see GGG get a big money fight he's the guy casual boxing fans have been clamoring for and he's technical so he has the diehards engaged as well. The GGG/Choclatito cards need to keep happening.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 28, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't say I have a practiced, expert eye or anything, but was it just me, or did Corrales seem to have these insanely wide, looping hooks, like they start in New York, swing by Memphis on their way to Chicago? The fact that I was noticing those big swings just make me wonder if that's a dude a counter-puncher would just eat alive or what.

In other news, I was thinking about Canelo earlier, and while, yeah, I've seen him win a couple times, does he have anything on his resume that's really capital-I Impressive? I don't know of any, but he's not a guy I've been following closely.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought the Cotto win was pretty good, after that it's slim pickings. Trout and Lara are impressive guys to beat but they weren't impressive wins.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In an apparently controversial opinion I think Alvarez will actually fight Golovkin

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

In an apparently controversial opinion I think Alvarez will actually fight Golovkin

ok but when

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I can't see any circumstances (boxing, at least) under which the wbc would ever strip Canelo. The worse the could do, imo, would be where to remove the interim tag from Golovkin but make Canelo the "diamond" or whatever champion.

Also, stay safe Pacquiao ghost

Bad Left Hook posted:

Terrorist group Abu Sayyaf planned to kidnap Manny Pacquiao or one of his children, according to a statement released by Philippines President Benigno Aquino III, whose sister, Kris, or one of her children, was also allegedly a target.

"They allegedly even hatched plots to kidnap Manny Pacquiao or one of his children, as well as my sister Kris or one of her children, with the plan to use them in bargaining for the release of their cohorts," Aquino said.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/4/27/11522120/manny-pacquiao-was-target-of-terrorist-kidnapping-according-to

In b4 they could have bonded over their hatred of gays.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sharzak posted:

ok but when

Next fight for both of them imo. Probably by end of this year but if negotiations go super badly I guess it could be next year.

The SituAsian posted:

I can't see any circumstances (boxing, at least) under which the wbc would ever strip Canelo. The worse the could do, imo, would be where to remove the interim tag from Golovkin but make Canelo the "diamond" or whatever champion.

I can think of one.

For real though, they're talking a bit more aggressively than I would expect if they were going to back out of it. It would be absolutely transparent to fans and would just be a bad move all around. Like, I fully understand why people think the WBC would do that, and I agree, but I don't think it's true in this case.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Next fight for both of them imo. Probably by end of this year but if negotiations go super badly I guess it could be next year.

I can think of one.

For real though, they're talking a bit more aggressively than I would expect if they were going to back out of it. It would be absolutely transparent to fans and would just be a bad move all around. Like, I fully understand why people think the WBC would do that, and I agree, but I don't think it's true in this case.

In 2 months when Canelo - David Lemieux for September 17th is announced the reaction will most be "lol Mauricio Suliman so corrupt" with a sprinkling of "But Lil G ,the B side, ducked Ward"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tyson fury has been having a bit of a meltdown and idk if he's honest or not but klitschtko at least doesn't sound like a dick

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Probably not been taking his medication again

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

In 2 months when Canelo - David Lemieux for September 17th is announced the reaction will most be "lol Mauricio Suliman so corrupt" with a sprinkling of "But Lil G ,the B side, ducked Ward"

:toxx:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Not exactly what you're proposing but if you want to put, 3 days, on whether or not Canelo will agree to fight Golovkin in 2016 and-provided he does not lose- remain wbc middleweight champion then I'm down. There's enough of a chance Canelo could do something like fight Bradley or a Cotto rematch that im not confident it woud be Lemeiux (or Glen Tapia if he wins instead) for his next fight; im just confident it is not Golovkin and im just as confident the wbc will never strip him of the title.

Edit: vvvv thanks - was unaware. 3 days it is then.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 30, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

Not exactly what you're proposing but if you want to put, 72 hours, on whether or not Canelo will agree to fight Golovkin in 2016 and-provided he does not lose- remain wbc middleweight champion then I'm down. There's enough of a chance Canelo could do something like fight Bradley or a Cotto rematch that im not confident it woud be Lemeiux (or Glen Tapia if he wins instead) for his next fight; im just confident it is not Golovkin and im just as confident the wbc will never strip him of the title.

For reference, probation lengths in the mod panel are 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, and 100,000 hours. So don't make bets that aren't one of those because I can't be bothered to deal with custom probation lengths.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Not exactly what you're proposing but if you want to put, 72 hours, on whether or not Canelo will agree to fight Golovkin in 2016 and-provided he does not lose- remain wbc middleweight champion then I'm down. There's enough of a chance Canelo could do something like fight Bradley or a Cotto rematch that im not confident it woud be Lemeiux (or Glen Tapia if he wins instead) for his next fight; im just confident it is not Golovkin and im just as confident the wbc will never strip him of the title.

Ok, 3 days probation on

You, if Alvarez makes an agreement to fight ggg by the end of the year, barring some weird injury or something

Me, if Alvarez fights somebody else as a middleweight title defence

Neither, if the wbc strips Canelo for not agreeing to fight GGG.

:toxx:

quote:

The SituAsian wrote on Apr 30, 2016 1:51 PM:
Hello sir,

Just to be clear on the toxx bet i would be subject to a three day probation if by the end of 2016 Canelo Alvarez agrees to fight Gennady Golovkin OR if as a result of not making the fight he is stripped of the wbc middleweight champion and is not made some sort of diamond or emeritus champion.

If you agree to the bet please feel free to edit your post and include this pm.

Hey sure, if you want add an additional way for you to lose this bet that's fine by me. I'd be fine with the terms specified above though. To clarify the fight thing, I'm referring to a fight scheduled within the year, not like the make an agreement in October to fight next May.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 30, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also, as a reminder - when toxxes come due, report the original toxx post to me so I can do the banning/probating, because I'm not just going to take your word for it - so if you make a TOXX bet, save the location of the original post.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

What a rigmarole for the sake of a 3 day probation

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl4xrJu2SnE

lmao at paulie's tan

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Today Ortiz vs Berto 2

No idea this was fight of the year at some point.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I remember that fight as being Berto's misinformed and frankly hilarious attempt at doing a philly shell. Was good tho.

e: no that was Guerrero, where he was just pounding his face while Berto stuck his shoulder out like it was supposed to be doing something, haha Berto's fuckups are so many that I start to mix them all together. Ortiz was the gimme for a Floyd fight that he went and lost. But I suppose Floyd said gently caress it in the end and fought him anyway.

Lionel Richie fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 1, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Berto is hilarious

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ORTIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
It was like Howard Dean was commentating at the end there

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

oh my gawdddd

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ortiz manages to be more hilarious.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Ortiz has as much mental fortitude as ever, I see.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i don't know whether to be more pissed with ortiz for quitting yet again or the referee for getting to 10 and still asking him if he wants to go on

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Ortiz has been damaged goods since back in the day against Maidana, credit to him for making something of a career when he's clearly not a fighter tbh

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lionel Richie posted:

What a rigmarole for the sake of a 3 day probation

You're telling me. I think I might be trying to tell myself something with all these dopey toxx bets.

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Ortiz has as much mental fortitude as ever, I see.

*Stares blankly*

"I don't deserve to get hit like this."

*Continues staring blankly*

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That should be the end of Victor Ortiz. His punch resistance and heart are seriously compromised at this point.

Theoretically, this puts Berto back into the discussion at 147, but I think the division has passed him by. Thurman, Brook, Porter, Spence etc all beat him. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Danny Garcia. That might be a winnable fight for him.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

you gonna get a ticket for berto vs brook in september lionel?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

No I'd rather sit at home

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

That should be the end of Victor Ortiz. His punch resistance and heart are seriously compromised at this point.

Theoretically, this puts Berto back into the discussion at 147, but I think the division has passed him by. Thurman, Brook, Porter, Spence etc all beat him. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Danny Garcia. That might be a winnable fight for him.

He's still relevant enough. People know who he is and he's not a pushover fighter so he'll be a good name for anyone that wants to fight him. He's a good TV fighter too.

As for Vic Ortiz I expect him to fight some bum six months from now and then go all in on pursuing a Mayweather rematch. Maybe he can lure Maidana out of retirement lol

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

DeGale - Medina heating up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think DeGale may actually be down on points. Medina is having a lot of success getting DeGale up against the ropes and beating him up. More accurate than I've seen anyone else against DeGale.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is a great fight. I think Medina is winning.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The ring seems smaller than normal but that may just be Medina's good movement. DeGale needs to find some rhythm imo, needs to stand his ground more and put some mustard on Medina if he's going to halt the other guy's momentum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is the kind of fight that will have controversy no matter what the scores will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've only been half watching but it seems like the typical ugly DeGale fight

• Locked thread