Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If my plugs for Giant Days (a Boom! publication) have fallen on deaf ears, please be aware that it was just nominated for an Eisner for Best Continuing Series.

It really is very good and you should check it out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

krakagar posted:

Sounds like American Elf by James Kolchaka

Turns out this was it, thanks a lot!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

The current artist's drawing hand got lobbed off and he finally accepted that the comic is cursed.

If the hiatus includes 16 and 17 not being released despite being finished, I suspect the crossover with Critical Role may have fallen through which would dash four months of work.

Might also be that Wiebe got tired of being introduced everywhere as "the Rat Queens guy," ignoring all his other work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

xarph posted:

If the hiatus includes 16 and 17 not being released despite being finished, I suspect the crossover with Critical Role may have fallen through which would dash four months of work.

Might also be that Wiebe got tired of being introduced everywhere as "the Rat Queens guy," ignoring all his other work.

I can't imagine how it would've fallen through, unless Legendary stepped in? Mercer and co seem to be big fans of the book, and Tess drew a variant for IDW's D&D comic featuring Vox Machina.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Dunbar posted:

If my plugs for Giant Days (a Boom! publication) have fallen on deaf ears, please be aware that it was just nominated for an Eisner for Best Continuing Series.

It really is very good and you should check it out :)

I really liked it and it made me laugh a lot. Top stuff.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

xarph posted:

Yeah I can't see the Critical Role thing being the reason. Wiebe is doing a book with Marisha Ray that just started up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trast posted:

Yeah I can't see the Critical Role thing being the reason. Wiebe is doing a book with Marisha Ray that just started up.

I thought it was just gonna be a background gag, anyway? I can't see it making ANY sense for the Queens to meet Vox Machina for a real adventure. There's too many characters, and you'd either need to know a ton of backstory or half the book would be explaining said backstory. (Plus any problem that needs VM would be kinda out of the Queens' depth, I feel)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, why not:

Franko: Fables of the Last Earth is a Chilean comic about anthropomorphic lions (don't judge) with adorable lineart. It's now just a thousand dollars off its Kickstarter goal, which will translate the collection (120 pages, collecting 5-6 stories) into English and see digital, soft- and hardcover versions published. Check out the campaign page!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gaz-L posted:

I thought it was just gonna be a background gag, anyway? I can't see it making ANY sense for the Queens to meet Vox Machina for a real adventure. There's too many characters, and you'd either need to know a ton of backstory or half the book would be explaining said backstory. (Plus any problem that needs VM would be kinda out of the Queens' depth, I feel)

Wiebe has said on twitter now that Rat Queens is just on hiatus instead of being done. He really did just get burnt out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Huck ended beautifully.
Highly recommended.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seems like 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank will be something worth checking out this week.
http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/black-mask-studios/4-kids-walk-into-a-bank/1

The last Black Mask comic I tried hasn't had a second issue out for eight months, though :/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We Can Never Go Home was awesome so yeah I'm very much looking forward to 4 Kids

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of, Black Mask announced their comics for the rest of the year.

* June 2016 *

JADE STREET PROTECTION SERVICES
writer Katy Rex
artist Fabian Lelay
colorist Mara Jayne Carpenter
covers Annie Wu (Black Canary)

From an all-new creative team, Jade Street Protection Services is Black Mask's first all-ages book, decribed as The Breakfast Club of Hogwarts.

Jade Street Protection Services follows a group of (bad) students at Matsdotter Academy, an elite private school for magical girls. When they all meet for the first time in a totally unfair detention, these punk rock witch delinquents cut class and discover the fates Matsdotter has in store for them are even more sinister than they suspected.

JSPS channels Black Mask’s edgy, subversive sensibility into a whipsmart all-ages adventure for delinquents young and old.

* July 2016 *

KIM & KIM
writer Magdalene Visaggio
artist Eva Cabrera
colorist Claudia Aguirre
covers Tess Fowler (Rat Queens), Devaki Neogi (Curb Stomp)

Another one from an all-new creative team, Kim & Kim is a Tank Girl-esque buddy adventure about a trans woman and her best girlfriend.

Kim & Kim is a day-glo action adventure that’s bursting with energy and enthusiasm and puts queer women and trans women front and center. Badass besties Kim and Kim are out to make a name for themselves in the wild world of interdimensional cowboy law enforcement – and they very quickly end up in way over their heads.

Blending the punk exuberance of Tank Girl with the buddy adventure wackiness of Superbad (if Michael Cera was a trans woman and Jonah Hill a queer girl partner in crime), Kim & Kim focuses on the power and meaning of female friendships as engines of validation. A bright, happy, punk rock sci fi adventure that is queer as poo poo.

* 2016 *

BLACK
writer Kwanza Osajyefo (former editor at Zuda)
co-creator/designer Tim Smith 3
artist Jamal Igle (Supergirl, Molly Danger)
covers Khary Randolph (Robin Wars)

In a world that already hates and fears them – what if only Black people had superpowers?

After miraculously surviving being gunned down by police, a young man learns that he is part of the biggest lie in history. Now he must decide whether it's safer to keep it a secret or if the truth will set him free.

X-Men meets The Wire, BLACK's Kickstarter blazed through Black History Month 2016 earning $91,973, more than three time its funding goal.

* 2016 *

RUN FOR THE SHADOWS
writers J.M. DeMatteis (Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt, Justice League)
& Matt Pizzolo (Young Terrorists, Godkiller)
artist Josh Hood (We Can Never Go Home)
cover Amancay Nahuelpan

Julie was a good girl from an elite family with her whole life ahead of her, until she got mixed up with bad boy Winston. After a decade of hard drugs and harder living, Julie is finally pulling her life back together. In rehab, she undergoes intensive therapy that unearths a deeply repressed trauma: her memory from being 16 and giving up her and Winston’s baby for adoption. She realizes it's a lie. An implanted memory. There was something else that took the baby. Something evil. Julie tracks down Winston and forces him to tell her what truly happened, a horrifying revelation that will lead them both on a journey into darkness.

A lyrical and fantastical tale of rebellion, redemption, and hellfire, but, most of all, a story of family.

From legendary writer J.M. DeMatteis, co-written by Matt Pizzolo fresh off his smash hit Young Terrorists and illustrated by Josh Hood still on fire from We Can Never Go Home.

* 2016 *

THE SKEPTICS
writer Tini Howard
artist Devaki Neogi (Curb Stomp)

A stylish, period, political adventure about a pair of hip, clever teens who fool the world of the 1960s into believing they have superpowers. Like X-Men: First Class meets Project Alpha.

It is the 1960s. The Russians have the A bomb, the H bomb, and now the most terrifying weapon of all: a pair of psychically superpowered young people. Terrified and desperate, the US top brass scours from coast to coast in search of psychic Americans. Enter Dr. Isobel Santaclara, an eccentric illusionist and grifter who has recruited two teenagers and trained them to trick the US government, the Russians, and the whole world into believing they are dangerous psychics. Skeptical is a pre-punk period piece, a sort of honest, unfuzzy, non-nostalgic look at the Cold War 1960s in DC.

Featuring female doctors, black female college students, and other genius "undesirables." Like a cross between Kill Your Boyfriend and Hard Day's Night, but about politics and ethics and how punk rock it is to be the smartest person in the room.

* Street date: April 27, 2016 *

4 KIDS WALK INTO A BANK
writer Matthew Rosenberg (We Can Never Go Home)
artist Tyler Boss (VICE)

What is it? A FUN(ISH) CRIME CAPER ABOUT CHILDREN!

11 year old Paige and her weirdo friends have a problem: a gang of ex-cons need her dad’s help on a heist... the problem is those ex-cons are morons. If Paige wants to keep her dad out of trouble, she’s going to have to pull off the heist herself.

4KWIAB is a very dark & moderately humorous story about friendship, growing up, d & d, puking, skinheads, grand larceny, & family.

* 2016 *

THE FOREVERS
writer Curt Pires (The Fiction, Mayday)
artist Eric Pfeiffer (Arcadia)

Five friends struggling on the brink of stardom sacrifice everything in a black magic pact that brings them all the wealth and glamour they ever wanted. But now, years later, the glow is fading. When one of them is killed in an accident, they each feel a pulse of magic rise in them. They realize the glow is spread evenly among the group, and if one dies that power is passed along to the rest. Suddenly, they are being hunted. One of them has decided to kill the rest and harness the remaining power.

As they search for the killer, each of The Forevers will be confronted by the macabre reality of the lengths people will go to be adored, to make sure the spotlight never fades.

* 2016 *

NO ANGEL
writers Eric Palicki (Guardians Of Infinity)
& Adrianne Palicki (actress, Mockingbird in Agents Of SHIELD)
artist Ari Syahrazad

Religious texts from The Bible to the Sumerian tablets speak of strange creatures descending from the heavens and mating with humans, their children the superhuman heroes of myth. None of this ever meant anything to Iraq War veteran Hannah Gregory, until she found herself in the crosshairs of a dangerous cult convinced that she’s a descendant of these dangerous bloodlines… bloodlines they’re determined to eradicate.

No Angel is a cosmological and conspiratorial modern western in the style of Preacher meets Justified by way of Jodorowsky.

* 2016 *

THE DREGS
writers Zac Thompson (VICE)
& Lonnie Nadler (VICE)
artist Eric Zawadzki (Last Born)

In this bloodsoaked satire of gentrification, an exclusive new restaurant called Pijin becomes the hottest spot in town by serving high-end dishes of human flesh. Where is the meat coming from? No one knows for sure, but a drug addled homeless man named Arnold Timm notices his friends disappearing and is determined to find out if they’re being fed to the rich.

A modern spin on Sweeney Todd in our world of excess where a touch of celebrity can make even cannibalism seem downright sexy.

* 2016 *

TOMORROW'S ASHES
writer Matt Pizzolo (Young Terrorists, Godkiller)
artist Anna Wieszczyk (Godkiller)

The creators of Godkiller (one of Kirkus Reviews’ Best Books of 2015) return for an all new saga.

In a twisted future where America has been divided into warring city states, escaped slavegirl Halfpipe and grifter Soledad roam the savage land on the fringes between civilizations. When they come upon a strange relic, they will uncover a secret history of America’s destruction.

This grimy apocalyptic fantasy manages to be simultaneously fun and horrifying, both brutal and intellectual, a unique descent into the American nightmare.

* 2016 *

SPACE RIDERS, vol 2: GALAXY OF BRUTALITY
writer Fabian Rangel Jr (Space Riders)
artist Alexis Ziritt (Space Riders)

The Skullship Santa Muerte rides again as the creators of Space Riders (one of The Village Voice’s Outstanding Comics of 2015) return.

An ancient evil is gathering power throughout the cosmos, and it falls upon the legendary SPACE RIDERS to kick its a**! Having disbanded, the crew of CAPITAN PELIGRO, MONO, and YARA must reunite for what may be their final ride!

The cult comic that electrified comic readers in the brain RETURNS to blast your fragile human psyche into oblivion!!

* 2016 *

WE CAN NEVER GO HOME, vol. 2
writers Matthew Rosenberg (We Can Never Go Home, QUAKE)
& Patrick Kindlon (We Can Never Go Home, QUAKE)
artist Josh Hood (We Can Never Go Home)

The dream team behind 2015 breakout hit We Can Never Go Home (winner of Diamond Comics Gem Award for Best Indie Graphic Novel of 2015) are back.

17 year old misfit Morgan was lost. Unsure if she imagined the teenagers with strange abilities who were involved in the death of her boyfriend or not, Morgan was worried she was losing her mind. She fell in with a rough crowd, developed some bad habits, and did whatever she could to try and forget the things she thought she saw. But when she runs into a very lonely and disturbed girl named Dania, everything changes. Like those teenagers from her past, Dania can do things other people can't. Dania will be Morgan's ticket out of their small town and into a bigger world... whether she wants to be or not.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology is doing a sale on the Aliens books, how good or otherwise are they? Also did Young Terrorists ever get past issue 1?

Jade Street Protection Services, Kim & Kim, an 4KWIAB all sound interesting, might give the first issue of We Can Never Go Home a look too. Pity Comixology doesn't have a CE if one exists.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Oh, cool, more We Can Never Go Home. That was one of those books I was always forgetting about, but it was a lot of fun when I remembered it was there, if that makes any sense.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So is anyone else reading the Dirk Gently book that's on issue 3? I liked the books, and this series came out almost without me knowing it. I have been enjoying it for the most part, however the latest issue really struck me a crass.

Each issue so far opens with a dream sequence in different styles. One of the previous ones was like Nemo in Dreamland I believe. However, the latest one opens with him as a kid in a government lab spinning him on the ceiling surround by TVs. At the end of the issue, it turns out he was predicting 9/11. What the gently caress is that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First issue of Joyride by Jackson Lanzing and Colin Kelly with art by Marcus To was really good. It's only a mini but I already want it to be a monthly. It's about a future Earth that's closed off from the rest of the galaxy by a giant metal dome and three characters that break out and steal an alien ship to tour the galaxy that has been hidden from them. It's fun and the art is great. Pick it up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This seems like the thread, if my wife has a cool comic she just launched a Kickstarter for would it be appropriate to talk about/plug it here?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assume it'll be an indie book :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume it'll be an indie book :)

Yes! :) Details are on the Kickstarter page but I'll summarize it a bit.

Basically A Voyage to Panjikant is a hyper-accurate historical fiction graphic novel about a teenage Sogdian girl who gets a rare opportunity to travel with her merchant dad and brother along the Silk Road. Some unexpected things happen along the way. My wife spent 2+ years researching Tang era Silk Road art and culture before even starting to work on the comic proper.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703932989/a-voyage-to-panjikant-a-graphic-novel-about-the-si

She spent a lot of time shopping this to many publishers, but a lot of the stuff that makes it stand out (the Sogdians were fairly egalitarian "for their time" but are still realistically portrayed as a product of their time, the art being a combination of her style and how Sogdian murals of the time were painted, it being accurately super colorful instead of dour because it's history, etc.) have made it a tough sell. So while it isn't autobiographical like her previous work, it still gets met with similar reactions like "this is an incredible script and your art is great but there's already at least one Middle Eastern comic somewhere on earth so..." or "we can't publish your comic or we will be firebombed." Wish I was making these up.

My wife is Marguerite Dabaie, she is one of three Palestinian-American cartoonists that exist, and has been self publishing her own stuff for a long time. Her illustration work has appeared all over the place and she has even done tatto design and also concept art for Six Ages (sequel to the video game The King of Dragon Pass).

A lot of her earlier work got rejected by publishers so harshly because something showing Palestinian-American people as average humans living in the US is considered a controversial statement. Her previous comics are very literally comics publishers don't want people to see!

With A Voyage to Panjikant she really got drawn into doing something that would be both historically educational while telling a story in a completely non-white time and place that is cosmopolitan but also mirrors a lot of challenges and situations society still faces today. The About section of the Kickstarter page has some of the critical acclaim she's received for her work.

Some of her research can be seen on her blog here:
http://panjikant.iranhistoryforum.com/blog/

More of her work can be seen here:
http://mdabaie.com

Anyway thank you for reading this, please take a look. :)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

X-O posted:

First issue of Joyride by Jackson Lanzing and Colin Kelly with art by Marcus To was really good. It's only a mini but I already want it to be a monthly. It's about a future Earth that's closed off from the rest of the galaxy by a giant metal dome and three characters that break out and steal an alien ship to tour the galaxy that has been hidden from them. It's fun and the art is great. Pick it up.

I grabbed it partly on a whim and yeah it's awesome, though if it's a mini (I'm guessing that means a 5 or 6 issue run then it's finished) I might wait for a CE, I noticed 4KWIAB was out, anyone got it, I'm tempted with it too though it also sounds like something that with have a very finite number of issues.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

X-O posted:

Hooray, finally something I can speak to! First, yes, Joyride is great and people should read it. It was picked up for (I believe) 4 issues to start, but Boom has already renewed it as an ongoing (they announced it the day issue 1 dropped: https://twitter.com/boomstudios/status/722899230747045888).

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Saga was good today. This arc has been kind of slow, but today it was A Good Issue. If the series ended here, I'd be ok with that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
4 Kids Walk Into A Bank is like the weird collaboration between Gordon Korman and Robert Cormier that never happened. It's giving me weird flashbacks to all the kid-lit I read when I was 12 or so.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

krakagar posted:

Saga was good today. This arc has been kind of slow, but today it was A Good Issue. If the series ended here, I'd be ok with that.

Yeah this was the first issue for me on a monthly basis (read through it all over last month) and I was really happy with that ending. I love watching where this book goes.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

krakagar posted:

I put saga down an arc or two ago, and am just going to binge it when it piles up high enough. Is there a set end date?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I had pledged even before I saw your post!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

pugnax posted:

I put saga down an arc or two ago, and am just going to binge it when it piles up high enough. Is there a set end date?

From what I remember, they planned it so it could go 60-100, maybe more. As far as we know, it could last well beyond that to the point where Hazel dies.

Of old age hopefully.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

From what I remember, they planned it so it could go 60-100, maybe more. As far as we know, it could last well beyond that to the point where Hazel dies.

Of old age hopefully.

I think that venturing past 75 issues is pretty dicey but drat, that'd be great. Guess I'll get caught up then...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Of old age hopefully.

Please this, that kid is so loving precious. I kind of assumed (based on the narrative) the story would either end with her being an adult, or reach a point where it follows her as an adult.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Kingtheninja posted:

Please this, that kid is so loving precious. I kind of assumed (based on the narrative) the story would either end with her being an adult, or reach a point where it follows her as an adult.

I think when Vaughan first started Saga he had an alternate ending planned if the book didn't sell well where Hazel and her family die at the Rocketship Treehouse forest.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

It's entirely possible that it could really do the 'saga' thing and go on to follow Hazel's kids, especially if there's long standing blood feuds to make good on.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Vaughan always jokingly says that he want it to last one issue long than The Walking Dead. I certainly don't think the end is in sight anytime soon for Saga.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

BKV has always reiterated that stories have a beginning, a middle and an end. While I'm sure the success and love for this book has pushed it past what his original plans intended, I don't see this as an ongoing story like The Walking Dead. The joke about lasting longer than TWD, to me is a bit of a dig at that book as I see Kirkman riding that cash cow on forever (and not that that's a bad thing for that property at all). I think the 60-100 estimate is spot on. I would have guessed 60 when he started with it stretching now to probably 4 or 5 of those sweet 18 issue deluxe hardcovers - so 72 or 90.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

As long as Kirkman doesn't drag the gently caress out of invincible I'll be okay.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Couple years late there buddy.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

For me Sandman is the proper length. I think Fables shat the bed stupendously by going past the natural end in order to be a cash cow - BKV has shown restraint precious and I think he'll do the same here. How long was Y's run?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

pugnax posted:

For me Sandman is the proper length. I think Fables shat the bed stupendously by going past the natural end in order to be a cash cow - BKV has shown restraint precious and I think he'll do the same here. How long was Y's run?

60 issues, which was probably the perfect length.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

fritz posted:

I had pledged even before I saw your post!

YESSS!!! THANK YOU!!! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Network Pesci posted:

Couple years late there buddy.

Kind of realized that as I typed. I think it has gone on quite a bit and dragged in some places. I do enjoy what it does though, and the amount of time that passes in the book is really cool to see. I think I'd like to see it wrap up in another 24-36 issues though (fat chance I know).