Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If it's done as an anime then Faile has to be voiced by Tiffany Grant. No-one else is as loathsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Expanse on SyFy is actually pretty dang good. I'd honestly be very interested to see how SyFy would approach it, they've made a lot of noise about wanting to hit the quality benchmarks of USA, AMC, FX, etc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

fordan posted:

Well, the only people who make anime are the Japanese, but maybe their take on it wouldn't be terrible...

:geno:

Instead we'll have a western version using the covers of Darrell K. Sweet as inspiration.

That's better than the US cover art.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Double Dish is heavier than a mountain, Thin Crust is lighter than a feather.

Hahaha. Pizza eating forms.

Everyone advocating an anime adaptation needs to shut right the hell up, goddamn. I don't want to watch hours of subtle and nuanced dialogue delivered by repeating the same three mouth flappy frames.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
But then you'd miss out on post-Healing Mat consuming huge stacks of bowls of rice and noodles.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Presumably by the end that's all he's going to be eating anyway (unless I'm forgetting something and the Seanchan aren't the shoe-in for far eastern cultures).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

El Grillo posted:

Presumably by the end that's all he's going to be eating anyway (unless I'm forgetting something and the Seanchan aren't the shoe-in for far eastern cultures).
They pretty much aren't.

One of the legitimately clever things RJ did when creating WoTLand was that he deliberately intermixed European, Asian, and Middle Eastern cultural influences throughout all the realms and nations of the land. That's why you have Tairen nobility dressing like Inquisition-era Spanish Infantas but Tairen commoners wearing Chinese wooden sandals and conical straw hats and using bamboo staves, or Cairhenan military officers wearing Edo-era Samurai hairstyles and Sashimono back banners with slashed Tudor doublets.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Seanchen having southern accents is my favorite.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Borderlands have a lot of Japanese influences. The majority religion also takes some concepts of the Indian faiths (reincarnation).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is that what it is? gently caress I'll never read it the same again

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

Is that what it is? gently caress I'll never read it the same again

Glory to the empress, y'all

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My favorite blink-and-you'll-miss-it detail is that the Royal Palace of Andor has Arabian golden domed minarets.

That, and the fact that the ubiquitous Heron-marked Sword is a katana blade mounted on a Scottish Claymore hilt, which almost has to be a Highlander reference.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

The Glumslinger posted:

Glory to the empress, y'all

The Seanchen will rise again!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Artur Hawkwing's children sailed west from "Europe" to find a previously unknown continent and then over the course of the next X number of years fragment into factions that end up fighting a long war that is partly over issues of genetic superiority and which was eventually settled on the issue of, and also by using, slavery.

Yeah, Seanchan is America where the South won the Civil War.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

broken clock opsec posted:

Artur Hawkwing's children sailed west from "Europe" to find a previously unknown continent and then over the course of the next X number of years fragment into factions that end up fighting a long war that is partly over issues of genetic superiority and which was eventually settled on the issue of, and also by using, slavery.

Yeah, Seanchan is America where the South won the Civil War.

His Eldest Daughter sailed East with equal force to conquer Chinafrica and got her rear end kicked, apparently.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wait really?

Now I need to reread the entire series. :gonk:

Also I will say the greatest tragedy was that RJ died before being able to start his Seanchan books. I wanted to no so much more about them.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

One of the things I liked the best about Wheel of Time is that when it comes to society there isn't really any racism or sexism - women can be mercenaries, shopkeepers, no-one seems to have a problem with female rulers or anything. It's very egalitarian. Everyone can read and write, it doesn't fall into the usual fantasy epic trap where women just can't do anything. Oh sure, it has women think like this, men think like that but it doesn't seem to be reflected on society as a whole.

People don't seem to discriminate based on skin colour either - people of all races happily mingle together, hell, I think it's only mentioned one or two times that Tuon is black, which honestly surprised me a bit. When the Seanchan were introduced in such an Orientalist fashion I made the assumption that they would look sort of Asian and then stopped thinking about it.

Nobody seems to think twice about all the hot, hot lesbian sex those Aes Sedai are allegedly having, aside from it being something that only the novices do. The few times male homosexuality is brought up in later books it also doesn't seem to be an issue.

That said, nationalism is loving rampant in WoT and is obviously one of the main contributors to social ill that the world is subject to.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
imo the most fitting adaptation for wot would be a 70s style hannabarbera cartoon

you wouldn't have to change much

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The most likely result for the TV series (if it ever gets out of pre-production hell) is that they're just going to heavily modify and compress it to tell a better story in TV format.

Possibly tweak the tone to be a more like GoT to attract the same viewers, by adding sex and gritty violence. Remove some characters or kill them early - totally down with killing Perrin in season one and Tam doing all the cool poo poo in Two Rivers. Reduce subplots and maybe skip some books entirely, for example end the first season with the equivalent of The Stone instead of the Eye or Falme. Or whatever.

It's most likely also not going to be very good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I very much doubt Harriet would permit such a thing. She is rabid about preserving RJ's legacy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It'll be all Perrin and Faile. All the time, with occasional cuts to Rand.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

OAquinas posted:

It'll be all Perrin and Faile. All the time, with occasional cuts to Rand.

seasons 8-10 are going to be brutal

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol they could put books like 7 thru 10 in one season

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, that is one of the things I've always felt while reading the books, a lot of the more filler parts could easily be condensed into a few episodes. You could easily combine books 7 through 10 into one or two seasons, depending on how many episodes each is.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Even better for condensing--you could do cutaway episodes alot easier and more organically than the failed experiment that was book 10, and it'd be even beneficial since those different episodes/segments wouldn't come 2+ years apart.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Possibly Chicken posted:

Lol they could put books like 7 thru 10 in one season

I think it sohuld work like the fallowing. Season 1 is books 1+2. Season 2 is books 3+4. Season 3 Just the Fires of Heaven. Season 4 Books 6-7. Seaon 5 Books 8-10. Season 6 will be 11-12. With Season 7 13-14.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That could work well if they do the longer seasons format with a short break at the halfway mark. Like instead of GoT's 10 episodes per season, go to like 7-8 episodes per book, take a break with the mid-season finale that wraps up the book, then go into the next book.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 6, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

if the tv show doesn't include rand's massacre of a bunch of people in TDR, when he's on his way to tear and at his campsite, it should never be made

i mean yeah he was right, but holy gently caress that came out of nowhere

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

I think it sohuld work like the fallowing. Season 1 is books 1+2.
I don't get this - isn't the first book pretty much as close to a season arc as possible? Ending with first confrontation of Forsaken, revelation of Rand's channeling & unveiling of the Dragon Banner, Horn of Valere?
It's really one of the greatest fantasy adventure books of all time in my view, especially in terms of pacing. Is this generally disagreed with?

Two Finger posted:

if the tv show doesn't include rand's massacre of a bunch of people in TDR, when he's on his way to tear and at his campsite, it should never be made

I forget, what was this??

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

broken clock opsec posted:

That could work well if they do the longer seasons format with a short break at the halfway mark. Like instead of GoT's 10 episodes per season, go to like 7-8 episodes per book, take a break with the mid-season finale that wraps up the book, then go into the next book.

I was envisioning averaging it out to be between 13-15 episodes a season.

Two Finger posted:

Two Finger posted:

That scene is so hosed up.

Also the show needs a shortened instrumental version of this song for its title sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnhhejBkW8

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I forgot about that scene until I started a reread a few months ago and when I got it it was like :chanpop:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

El Grillo posted:

I don't get this - isn't the first book pretty much as close to a season arc as possible? Ending with first confrontation of Forsaken, revelation of Rand's channeling & unveiling of the Dragon Banner, Horn of Valere?
It's really one of the greatest fantasy adventure books of all time in my view, especially in terms of pacing. Is this generally disagreed with?

I forget, what was this??

Everything does "midseason finales" now

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Shadar Logoth + the crew getting split up would be a great mid season finale

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Possibly Chicken posted:

I forgot about that scene until I started a reread a few months ago and when I got it it was like :chanpop:

Which scene?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Which scene?

It's from Dragon Reborn, when Rand is on his way to Tear alone and being haunted by visions supplied by Ishamael. He makes a campfire one night, a merchant and her bodyguards and their caravan stop by the side of the road and ask if they can share his fire, Rand says yes then whips out his fire sword and proceeds to slaughter them all with it, including the woman.

Now, it turns out they were darkfriends, it was an attempt on his life, and there was a Grey man hiding among them, but none of this is known to Rand or available to his point of view. To the reader it just seems like he flips out a slaughters them for no reason.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's from Dragon Reborn, when Rand is on his way to Tear alone and being haunted by visions supplied by Ishamael. He makes a campfire one night, a merchant and her bodyguards and their caravan stop by the side of the road and ask if they can share his fire, Rand says yes then whips out his fire sword and proceeds to slaughter them all with it, including the woman.

Now, it turns out they were darkfriends, it was an attempt on his life, and there was a Grey man hiding among them, but none of this is known to Rand or available to his point of view. To the reader it just seems like he flips out a slaughters them for no reason.

The part at the end of that section is just like :stare: holy poo poo Rand

The Dragon Reborn posted:

The Power still filled him, the flow from saidin sweeter than honey, ranker than rotted meat. Abruptly
he channeled - not really understanding what it was he did, or how, only that it seemed right; and it worked,
lifting the corpses. He set them in a line, facing him, kneeling, faces in the dirt. For those who had faces left.
Kneeling to him.
“If I am the Dragon Reborn,” he told them, “that is the way it is supposed to be, isn’t it?”
Letting go of
saidin was hard, but he did it. If I hold it too much, how will I keep the madness away? He laughed bitterly. Or
is it too late for that?
Frowning, he peered at the line. He had been sure there were only ten men, but eleven men knelt in that
line, one of them without armor of any sort but with a dagger still gripped in his hand.
“You chose the wrong company,” Rand told that man.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Everything does "midseason finales" now

This is the party splitting up at Shadar Logoth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

This is the party splitting up at Shadar Logoth.

Yeah. The real answer is you do the first three books as a season each, then either cancel or start condensing after that point.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

When should I read New Spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

When should I read New Spring?

Definitely not first, since It completely alters your understanding of events in the first few books, by providing you a lot more background knowledge on what's going on. If you want to be a purist, read it between books 10 and 11 since that's when it was written. My preference would be to read it after you've finished the season so as not to interrupt the flow of the main narrative - WoT benefits substantially from being able to binge read, especially later on. Treat it like the light fluffy fun side piece that it is.

Ultimately though, as long as you don't read it before say the first 3 books you're fine.

• Locked thread