Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Brygar is basically a Lupin-style adventure/mercenary show only they have a giant robot for no real reason.

This is a good summary. The show is basically 100% about the on-foot stuff and the interplay between the characters and the Brygar itself basically only ever comes out at the very end of any given plot arc to fight an enemy robot or something, and it almost always defeats its foe completely effortlessly with no real conflict.

It's a very good show but if you're looking for cool robot action it is definitely not about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That was Braiger, the first J9 show. The second show featured flying motorcycles that also mass shift into a giant robot. The third featured a space train.

I've been slowly making my through Braiger, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. While it's definitely a formula show, it's a very different formula then most other super robot shows I've seen. I get the feeling that it's very much a genre show, I just don't recognize the genre.

Each J9 show is based on a different theme or series, Braiger is based off of a TV series about assassins, Baxinger is based off of the Shinsengumi and Bakumatsu era, and Sasuraiger is based off of Around the World in 80 Days. Jinraiger is apparently going to be based off of Water Margin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Each J9 show is based on a different theme or series, Braiger is based off of a TV series about assassins, Baxinger is based off of the Shinsengumi and Bakumatsu era, and Sasuraiger is based off of Around the World in 80 Days. Jinraiger is apparently going to be based off of Water Margin.

Looking forward to our heroes massacring villages, gruesomely killing unfaithful wives, and eating the gently caress out of dudes, then.

Seriously, that book is easily the most hosed up of the Four Great Historical Novels.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I picked Space Runaway Ideon back up.

Oh Tomino. :allears:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Has anyone seen Fafnir? Is it any good? I know it's got those ultra divisive Seed/sCRYed character designs but I figured if it's got two sequel series it might be worth at least a look.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's so, so, so boring. I heard the recent series was better but eh.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, hey, I forgot this thread exists.

Has anyone seen Flag, and is it any good? I remember watching an episode when it originally came out and not hating it, but that was a decade ago. The premise sounds cool.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

FLAG is cool and good, and short. Watch it.

In Vifam news:

LAS NALGAS :butt:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Traveller posted:

FLAG is cool and good, and short. Watch it.

Cool, it's added to the pile. I'll probably get around to it in a decade or so. :v:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

This may not be the best place, but does anyone have a US complete collection of EVA they'd want to part with? Im looking for a friend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

This may not be the best place, but does anyone have a US complete collection of EVA they'd want to part with? Im looking for a friend.

Bunch of them up for $50 on ebay, if that helps. I think the 3-disc sets are bootlegs but there are legit ones available for that price.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Thats what I'll look into then. I saw a bit of that but mostly sealed for hundreds of dollars and thats too much for anime.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Space Runaway Ideon Episode 23 - Okay, "Kitty Kitten" is an unusual name even for Tomino.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

Thats what I'll look into then. I saw a bit of that but mostly sealed for hundreds of dollars and thats too much for anime.

There's definitely gonna be a reprint of the series at some point in time. There's so much money lying on that table that I'm positive it's a matter of when, not if.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd be amazed if Funi wasn't working on Blu-ray rights for it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

D'awwwww the squirrel has his own little spacesuit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

After you finish watch both episodes of Ideon/off. They're on YouTube, in two parts each.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Midjack posted:

After you finish watch both episodes of Ideon/off. They're on YouTube, in two parts each.
Thanks, I'll make sure to check them out.

I do think it's amusing how much of an rear end in a top hat everyone is in the series proper though. Cosmo gets seriously injured and is crying about his girlfriend Kitty Kitten being murdered and most of everyone is just like "UGGGHHHHH WOULD YOU STOP WHINING ALREADY JESUS".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been intending on watching through Ideon again as soon as Universal Quantifier finished their retranslation.

I don't remember the details of too many individual episodes, but it was around the Kitty Kitten episode that my opinion of Ideon changed from it being an above average robot show to something considerably greater.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The main series is kind of a slog, but the two movies are very good. It's just a pity that neither of them works as a replacement for the TV show. A Contact only covers half the series and makes too many changes to work as a compilation movie, and Be Invoked is essentially a partial replacement for the final episode. If they'd had a third movie to tie them together, that would have been great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The main series is kind of a slog, but the two movies are very good. It's just a pity that neither of them works as a replacement for the TV show. A Contact only covers half the series and makes too many changes to work as a compilation movie, and Be Invoked is essentially a partial replacement for the final episode. If they'd had a third movie to tie them together, that would have been great.

Agreed.

A lot of the later episodes have cool stuff but the gimmick of the week stuff gets tiring fast, especially given how powerful the Ideon is.

Cool: Hostage situations, infiltrating the Ideon to fight the pilots in close combat, the Ideon doing stuff of its own accord, etc

Lame: Pilots or mecha with a gimmick that gets easily wrecked by the Ideon, generic skirmishes without much of interest happening, etc

It's ultimately worth the slog but I really wish the movies could have been a substitute

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah my biggest criticism of the show so far is how much it seems to rely on formulaic Monster of the Week stuff. That's not inherently bad, though the way Space Runaway Ideon does it is quite repetitive (Though some of the battles are really cool. I liked the one where the Buff Clan guys tried to hijack the Ideon).

I can't help but compare it to the TV version of Mobile Suit Gundam. It could fall into MotW territory at times too, though I personally I think it had a stronger setting and cast that kind of made up for it.

EDIT: You know I almost think Space Runaway Ideon would have been better as a game in the style of Zone of the Enders or something. You're a single overpowered robot that progressively gets crazier and crazier weapons, swarms of crazy enemies are always flying after you, you could make tactical choices between separating and combining etc.

EDIT 2: Episode 33 - Huh, deciding if someone is a traitor or not based on a literal coin flip is certainly one method for determining that, I guess.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 28, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's 4 AM and I just finished Space Runaway Ideon. So, uh, what the gently caress was that ending? Joliver and Karala appear to be dead, and then they seem to be saved by the Ide, and then poo poo just starts exploding and Karala is suddenly naked in space, and then babies are just flying everywhere through the galaxy like it's 2001 and I'm just...what? I think I'm just too tired to make any sense of this at the moment. Good show though.

Gonna try and watch A Contact and Be Invoked tomorrow...er, later today.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

For lack of a better explaination, its like Eva. Last episode is surreal and weird, movie is vicious and closes with the utmost finality.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've watched both movies now. A Contact does about as well as squeezing 32ish episodes into 85 minutes as you can reasonably expect. Loses some good moments and characterization from the series, but still.

Be Invoked is pretty good, though I was a bit surprised at how ungory it was. Like yeah there are those gifs of the one toddler getting his head shot clean off and such, but just hearing people describe the movie led me to believe the whole thing was going to be like that, when no, it's really only a few brief moments out of a 98 minute movie that are like that. Still a good watch, though I can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed after hearing descriptions of it for a few years now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 30, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

I've watched both movies now. A Contact does about as well as squeezing 32ish episodes into 85 minutes as you can reasonably expect. Loses some good moments and characterization from the series, but still.

Be Invoked is pretty good, though I was a bit surprised at how ungory it was. Like yeah there are those gifs of the one toddler getting his head shot clean off and such, but just hearing people describe the movie led me to believe the whole thing was going to be like that, when no, it's really only a few brief moments out of a 98 minute movie that are like that. Still a good watch, though I can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed after hearing descriptions of it for a few years now.

Be Invoked kind of grew into meme status with people making gifs of the conflict at the end and youtube videos of all the deaths in the movie cut together, which makes people who haven't seen it assume that it's a nonstop murderfest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Now Ideon/Off!

I/O Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QYEs1oRpk
I/O Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CkWIso34kw

I/O2: Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9S1kzu5lXM
I/O2: Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrmGiegNXok

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

Be Invoked kind of grew into meme status with people making gifs of the conflict at the end and youtube videos of all the deaths in the movie cut together, which makes people who haven't seen it assume that it's a nonstop murderfest.

I mean, the movie does feature the near eradication of two human species, whereupon the survivors destroy each other out of fear and hopelessness.

It may be mostly bloodless, but it sure is hell is bleak.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I kinda wanna watch Galvion

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want to watch Galvion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7iGZgTdpM0

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Midjack posted:

Now Ideon/Off!
It's a bit rough around the edges but I got a few solid laughs out of this! Thanks for sharing!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Galvion's OP is cool and the robot itself is cool.

Unfortunately by many reports the show's pretty low-budget and on the aimless side, and it was cut short i think more than halfway through so the show just ends with a voiceover of 'this is how the show was going to actually go'

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Super Robot Wars V is going to have an English version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Super Robot Wars V is going to have an English version.

It's also going to have Cross Ange though so y'know, monkey paw wishes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

It also has Might Gaine, so it's not a total wash.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

At least it has pretty cool mech and monster designs. Did the music end up good? I tried to watch to hear what Akiko Shikata would put out, but I couldn't take the show itself. If the music ended up good, seems like SRW would be the best place for it, far away from it being able to do anything terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What was that Mazinger in the PV? I've never seen it before. I know it's from the Shin Mazinger Zero manga (hell, Kouji even calls it Zero) but...it definitely hasn't appeared in the part of the manga that's translated. As slowly as the translations are coming out.

It looks cool as hell.

Also I have no idea why they're using Shin Mazinger yet having Mazinger use the moves that never appeared in that adaptation, but I guess it isn't a bad thing. Especially if it'll just get replaced down the road with Zero anyways.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

At least it has pretty cool mech and monster designs. Did the music end up good? I tried to watch to hear what Akiko Shikata would put out, but I couldn't take the show itself. If the music ended up good, seems like SRW would be the best place for it, far away from it being able to do anything terrible.

both OPs are pretty good actually, that's what matters for srw

the second would make a kickass climactic map theme or boss music

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

What was that Mazinger in the PV? I've never seen it before. I know it's from the Shin Mazinger Zero manga (hell, Kouji even calls it Zero) but...it definitely hasn't appeared in the part of the manga that's translated. As slowly as the translations are coming out.

It looks cool as hell.

Also I have no idea why they're using Shin Mazinger yet having Mazinger use the moves that never appeared in that adaptation, but I guess it isn't a bad thing. Especially if it'll just get replaced down the road with Zero anyways.

I'm pretty sure Zero is just a way to let them backdoor a new Great Mazinger and Mazinkaiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I thought I was watching the M.A.S.K. opening for the first few seconds.