Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

and at least Kenta doesn't have the worry about the issue with his name being almost the same as a legend.

I was coming off a long break and someone told me NXT was getting all these big guys like KENTA and I'm thinking "what the gently caress, Kenta Kobashi has to be old as balls by now." It doesn't help that his full name is Kenta Kobayashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Sanguinia posted:

Well, Lioness Asuka IS a loving awesome badass. Can't really fault here there I suppose.

she's been pretty vocal that that isn't where she got it from

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

I understand changing Pac because of Waltman, but it always makes me laugh that he put forward a name inspired by Garry Neville.

Even more bizarre is that he named himself Adrian after Adrian Chiles.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Spermgod posted:

she's been pretty vocal that that isn't where she got it from

...does she like Evangelion then?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, Big Show is one of, if not the only person to ever be WWE World Champ, WCW World Champ, and ECW World Champ. Yes, it was the WWECW title, but whatever.

The modern day equivalent has to be WWE, TNA AND NJPW'S IWGP title, right? So, Kurt Angle's the only one to do that, I believe. AJ Styles might, if he ever wins the WWE title. Christian is retired, Nakamura will never go to TNA, and likely won't win the WWE belt because vinceflex.jpg. Brock won't be going to TNA.

You could make an argument for Samoa Joe doing something similar with ROH, TNA, and now NXT, but odds are he won't get the WWE title. Am I missing anyone along these lines?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If you're willing to substitute ROH for NJPW Aries is another guy in with a shot of doing the modern grandslam. (He won't.)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rotinaj posted:

So, Big Show is one of, if not the only person to ever be WWE World Champ, WCW World Champ, and ECW World Champ. Yes, it was the WWECW title, but whatever.

The modern day equivalent has to be WWE, TNA AND NJPW'S IWGP title, right? So, Kurt Angle's the only one to do that, I believe. AJ Styles might, if he ever wins the WWE title. Christian is retired, Nakamura will never go to TNA, and likely won't win the WWE belt because vinceflex.jpg. Brock won't be going to TNA.

You could make an argument for Samoa Joe doing something similar with ROH, TNA, and now NXT, but odds are he won't get the WWE title. Am I missing anyone along these lines?

I don't think TNA's world title really merits a slot in a theoretical Triple Crown honestly. Despite the fact that they had national TV and pay per views and all that the company was never truly successful. I mean, we know they never made a profit in their entire history, but what was even their viewership peak? I think I heard they broke 2 million when Hogan came, but that was for one segment of their entire show.

Now ROH, sure. Like ECW, ROH has had a crucial hand in shaping many important talents in this generation and the overall style of the business even though it'll never have that reach the Big Boys have. But if it were New Japan, ROH and WWE I suppose nobody will ever have that except for AJ having a slim chance. Joe was never IWGP champion and Nakamura was never ROH champion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Meltzer reported that they were profitable as some point, around 2009.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Kana's name change was pretty dumb, but Prince Devitt is waaaaaayyyy better off as Finn Balor IMHO, and at least Kenta doesn't have the worry about the issue with his name being almost the same as a legend.

yeah that was a real problem for kenta in japan, where the audience actually knows who kobashi is

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah that was a real problem for kenta in japan, where the audience actually knows who kobashi is

even worse, he spent the bulk of his career on the same roster as kobashi

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Angle never won the IWGP. He won the physical belt in IGF after NJPW stripped Lesnar.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Angle never won the IWGP. He won the physical belt in IGF after NJPW stripped Lesnar.

NJPW made a deal out of when Nakamura beat him to unify the belts though. So it's like his reign wasn't canon until he lost it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

...does she like Evangelion then?

it must be because those are the only 2 instances of that name ever, yes, hrm

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MotU posted:

it must be because those are the only 2 instances of that name ever, yes, hrm

Yes, because its absurd of me to assume a Japanese Woman Wrestler would base her stage name on one of Japan's most famous female wrestlers or a character that everyone in Japan recognizes and respects as part of an important cultural touchstone the way most Americans would for, I dunno, Batman.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Sanguinia posted:

Yes, because its absurd of me to assume a Japanese Woman Wrestler would base her stage name on one of Japan's most famous female wrestlers or a character that everyone in Japan recognizes and respects as part of an important cultural touchstone the way most Americans would for, I dunno, Batman.

look at this loving comparison

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

i dont even know what to say to that second half of the post due to how ridiculous it sounds and when im not posting about wrestling im posting about the kissability of anime babes in the vita thread. jesus man

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
if you ask an american about Batman they will be like "oh yes the superhero man"

if you mention Asuka to a japanese person they will say "oh my coworker in accounting? no? no? oh okay who then"

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I think, she choose the name Asuka, because WWE wanted her to have another name they could use exclusively and it's a common girls name in Japan. And it's not like Kana is her real name anyway.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MotU posted:

if you ask an american about Batman they will be like "oh yes the superhero man"

if you mention Asuka to a japanese person they will say "oh my coworker in accounting? no? no? oh okay who then"

I'm living in Japan RIGHT NOW. Every single person I've talked to from my 50+ year old neighbors to my 15 year old students knows Evangelion by name and Asuka by sight instantly. The characters from that show were still on billboards and pachinko parlors when the relaunch movies weren't even a twinkle in anyones eye but the show had been off the air for a decade. It WAS a cultural touchstone, the same way Yamato and other famous animes were.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

I'm living in Japan RIGHT NOW. Every single person I've talked to from my 50+ year old neighbors to my 15 year old students knows Evangelion by name and Asuka by sight instantly. The characters from that show were still on billboards and pachinko parlors when the relaunch movies weren't even a twinkle in anyones eye but the show had been off the air for a decade. It WAS a cultural touchstone, the same way Yamato and other famous animes were.

they still make Troll dolls here doesnt mean anyone cares

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
listen i have a signed photo of me w/ tiffany grant from like 2003 i am just giving you a hard time but that being your immediate second guess for a very common name w/ a relevant meaning is some fuckign nerd poo poo bro

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

afatwhiteloaf posted:

I think, she choose the name Asuka, because WWE wanted her to have another name they could use exclusively and it's a common girls name in Japan. And it's not like Kana is her real name anyway.

I thought her real name was Kanako

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

Perfect. I began on this train of thought because AJ will be the only person capable of winning my entirely arbitrary self made up triple crown if he beats the Big Dog at Payback. Then I realized angle had already done it. But turns out he hadn't, so everything's coming up AJ.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MotU posted:

they still make Troll dolls here doesnt mean anyone cares

Ok, fine, whatever, I'm sure you know much better than the Japanese people in Japan how important or not Evangelion was. No cartoon in America has EVER had cultural significance ever after all.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm being a passive-aggresive dick when you're just busting my chops. I was just making a guess, no big.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

Ok, fine, whatever, I'm sure you know much better than the Japanese people in Japan how important or not Evangelion was. No cartoon in America has EVER had cultural significance ever after all.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm being a passive-aggresive dick when you're just busting my chops. I was just making a guess, no big.

It's okay bro dont sweat it im not teed off or anything it is just fun/funny to rile up about anime+wrestling combined

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MotU posted:

It's okay bro dont sweat it im not teed off or anything it is just fun/funny to rile up about anime+wrestling combined

You know after I got here that I found out the Emperor declared a national holiday in the late 80s for the launch of a new Dragon Quest? They take some nerd poo poo super serious here. Its cray.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
sanguinia why dont you go to japanese wrestling shows

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Spermgod posted:

sanguinia why dont you go to japanese wrestling shows

It costs me 60 bucks and 4-5 hours round trip on the train to go to Tokyo and I have not heard of any shows in my prefecture.

I did go to Wrestlekingdom 10 with Jerusalem and Harperdc though! That was awesome! I wish I'd bought the King of Strong Style shirt instead of the classic Bullet Club shirt though. Who could have guessed Nakamura in NXT the very next day, yeesh.

I hope to go to a Dragon Gate show before I leave at least once.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I've never seen evangelion is it good. sounds like it's got some babes so that's a point in its favor

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

all anime is bad.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've never seen evangelion is it good. sounds like it's got some babes so that's a point in its favor

Yeah, it's super good, one of the best ever

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Super No Vacancy posted:

I think its p great. And the purple hair chick and the blonde scientist are quite hot. I recommend it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i love anime sluts

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Spermgod posted:

i love anime sluts

anime conventions 2003-2007 were the time of my life lemme tell u

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MotU posted:

anime conventions 2003-2007 were the time of my life lemme tell u

I am so much cuter and smell better than everyone who attended them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I am so much cuter and smell better than everyone who attended them.

same thats why it worked so well

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spermgod posted:

i love anime sluts

Please respect anime girls by not calling them sluts.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Junpei Hyde posted:

Please respect anime girls by not calling them sluts.

what about the slutty ones

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Sanguinia posted:

I did go to Wrestlekingdom 10 with Jerusalem and Harperdc though!

I still refuse to believe that Jerusalem is a real person and not a sentient supercomputer that watches all TV stations at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are everyone's favorite examples of in-ring heeling? I remembered today that this existed (higher res video isn't available):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWw7BN33M8&t=323s