Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was pretty mad when I lost against a guy with Black Knight Sword and Estoc. Seems like the only time poise is useful is if you get a weapon that increases it. That or wearing havel or something.

I got a question. I basically did the neutral ending, is there anything for me in the unattended graves? because I sped through that, and while pretty much going "whaaaaat the gently caress is going on??" on everything, it was mostly empty for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have developed a really good pvp strategy of keeping my weight below 30% and rope a doping them into that brief window when they whiff and cannot move or parry

Took about five minutes but I wore down an heavy armor tower shield guy with that strat

I have a video recorded of a 15 minute duel I was involved in, it was hell

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PvP is fun, and if people want to try hard to avoid it, I still have fun, because that's what the game is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

I was pretty mad when I lost against a guy with Black Knight Sword and Estoc. Seems like the only time poise is useful is if you get a weapon that increases it. That or wearing havel or something.

Poise is almost completely useless. Not even Havels will help because poise just doesn't do that anymore.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I got my 30 vertebrae being a purple pussy in the swamps (L35/+6weapon). I am terrible and that took forever.

Things learned:

You can invade the upper swamp while they're pretty much on the ladder down or in the lower swamp. Also this is the best time to use the sleep emote, pop up the UI so you can go to your other monitor without alt-tab and wait for them to run out of regen and moss in a giant poison swamp.

You can't Way of the Blue invade into some magical new color combo, you just red invade for tongues. But I guess not everyone knows to use a torch in the graveyard to the Cathedral, so you just annoy people while they bleed to death chasing after you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So, I have spent literally this whole week in the Lothric Arena and its the best.

I have started recognizing fellow contestants and we have formulated weirdly consistent rules

The best one is "Estus = Immediate Disqualification"

There were three of us in the bleachers watching a PvP match and the one guy used Estus and we all hopped down and killed him

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hampig posted:

We're specifically talking about 1v1, so awww you keep telling yourself how you're fighting the hard fight as a poor red invader buddy :allears:

The host gets more estus and a health bonus over the invader. In a straight up fight, they do have a pretty nice advantage.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only thing I absolutely cannot stand is being invaded by a PvP build when you are running PvE.

The basic longswords being some of the best weapons in the game means most PvE builds work just fine in PvP. But yeah it sucks if you're using some gimmick weapon that is awful for PvP.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lothric castle Invasion assessments thus far:

Two dudes cosplaying as O+S waiting for invaders. Fun gimmick. Another invader spawned but not quick enough to matter. Smough got axed quickly, Ornstein and I had a good tete-a-tete until he fled to the Dragonslayer elevator, presumably for some breathing room. I just managed to make it on behind him and we manfought, exchanging blows. I had less hp and bit it. Good fight, would invade again.

Roy Batty. Evidenced no android characteristics, but a good honest scrap. Would invade again.

Person with irithyll straight sword and basic knight starting gear: "I'm sorry"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

That doesn't really answer why they're empty suits of armor. Brutal executions usually leave a corpse.

Eh. The ones who didn't later become undead wouldn't leave behind much given enough time. Most of the suits are posed like dudes who got trashed or collapsed from exhaustion so I'm still betting the implication is the winged knight got 'em, at least the mound of bodies he's patrolling anyway.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, I have spent literally this whole week in the Lothric Arena and its the best.

I have started recognizing fellow contestants and we have formulated weirdly consistent rules

The best one is "Estus = Immediate Disqualification"

There were three of us in the bleachers watching a PvP match and the one guy used Estus and we all hopped down and killed him

Blue estus isn't cool to use either, I pop a yellow every time they pop a blue lol

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
My favorite thing about Nameless King is how he instantly kills you if you miss time a single dodge

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So the King of the Storm's fly-up-and-breathe-fire move is undodgeable, right?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Glenn_Beckett posted:

My favorite thing about Nameless King is how he instantly kills you if you miss time a single dodge

With Ember, 30% Physical/Lightning, and around 23 VIG, I was able to survive 2-3 hits, depending on which ones they were. Get a Lothric Knight Shield and upgrade it to +6 or +7 and block attacks that you're unsure of the timing on.

Harrow posted:

You can dodge it, but the ticks are too fast to have complete invincibility. Just run straight away from him when you see him flap up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

Blue estus isn't cool to use either, I pop a yellow every time they pop a blue lol

Wait seriously?

What are Pyromancers / Sorcerers supposed to do then? They only get 2 shots compared to your infinite shotting gently caress off spear that shoots lightning.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

work on your abilities, homie

parries work too, ESPECIALLY if they're spamming, because you can actually start catching on to the timing of their rythm and it's like poetry, just slide in and get 'em

pressing l2 is not a matter of ability, but of latency

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Wait seriously?

What are Pyromancers / Sorcerers supposed to do then? They only get 2 shots compared to your infinite shotting gently caress off spear that shoots lightning.

Babe Magnet posted:

Change your build if you want to spam homing soulmass until you win your little war of attrition.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
So is Barbed Straight Sword going to be the best option for a straight sword build or would it be worthwhile to do some luck and rock Anri's?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Babe Magnet posted:

Really all Estus is bullshit for PVP

If it were slower, sure. But right now its so fast that it just meaninglessly prolongs fights and unfairly benefits the host over the phantom

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

pressing l2 is not a matter of ability, but of latency

Get a Caestus and just mash R2 as fast as possible when you start getting Estoc spammed. It will usually come out by the third hit and is almost guaranteed to parry.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Harrow posted:

The animation is really distinct and the tail hangs vertical without swaying. So If you see the tail straight down and feather-whatevers doing a fan flap, just sprint away so the tail stays in the middle of your screen and it should miss.

Then as soon as it ends, you can probably run back and get a whack in around landing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Why don't you try staying in their face so they can't cast then? Mages have a hard enough time as it is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, its also impossible to dodge if he has already started the animation

You're only chance is to listen to the audio cue

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're running out of FP so fast, there's a lot of ways to help with that!

- Don't constantly spam your gigantic ridiculous moves, especially if they're easy to dodge

- Get an FP recovery infusion on a piece of equipment, since 1 FP is the exact same thing as 10000 FP when it comes to casting a single spell

- Maybe learn how to fight with a weapon. Get a straight sword or something

Internet Kraken posted:

Why don't you try staying in their face so they can't cast then? Mages have a hard enough time as it is.

I do! I've killed a lot of sorcerers going for sips.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

Get a Caestus and just mash R2 as fast as possible when you start getting Estoc spammed. It will usually come out by the third hit and is almost guaranteed to parry.

maybe it's different with small shields and caestus. pressing l2 in the middle of estoc spam poo poo with a medium shield has never flied for me. the animation just doesn't happen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wish there were more sorcerers in PvP

They are like little pin cushions to stick my rapier in

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Man curved greatswords suck in this one, and they share the same problem most weapon types do in 3, they all have the same god drat moveset. All the weapons and spells in this game are so crap, at least 2 had a lot of awesome poo poo to use.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

maybe it's different with small shields and caestus. pressing l2 in the middle of estoc spam poo poo with a medium shield has never flied for me. the animation just doesn't happen.

That's because both medium and small shields have startup frames, which the Estoc is usually able to interrupt. Caestus has almost no startup frames, meaning that you are usually guaranteed to get it off in the middle of the spam.

Jaaam posted:

Man curved greatswords suck in this one, and they share the same problem most weapon types do in 3, they all have the same god drat moveset. All the weapons and spells in this game are so crap, at least 2 had a lot of awesome poo poo to use.

Exile Greatsword is hands down one of the best PVP weapons if you know how to combo with it properly, and is still perfectly good in PVE.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're running out of FP so fast, there's a lot of ways to help with that!

- Don't constantly spam your gigantic ridiculous moves, especially if they're easy to dodge

- Get an FP recovery infusion on a piece of equipment, since 1 FP is the exact same thing as 10000 FP when it comes to casting a single spell

- Maybe learn how to fight with a weapon. Get a straight sword or something

I do! I've killed a lot of sorcerers going for sips.

I dunno. I've PvPed a fuckton and I have never played a caster. That being said, I don't really care if they use a blue estus. They're more than welcome to. It's way easy to punish and they never hit me with spells anyways. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

The animation is really distinct and the tail hangs vertical without swaying. So If you see the tail straight down and feather-whatevers doing a fan flap, just sprint away so the tail stays in the middle of your screen and it should miss.

Then as soon as it ends, you can probably run back and get a whack in around landing.

I can't tell which direction is the right one to run towards once he starts flying so I just keep getting roasted every time. Then I make it to phase 2 with 3 Estus.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

I can't tell which direction is the right one to run towards once he starts flying so I just keep getting roasted every time. Then I make it to phase 2 with 3 Estus.

Run in the opposite direction of the tail. If you start seeing flames approaching your character, start rolling to avoid getting clipped.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean its pretty silly to act like mages don't know how to fight properly when using magic in this game is actually harder than just going with sword and board. In terms of PvP its not like its even hard to dodge in a 1v1.

Magic was so prevalent in DS2 that my favorite invader used vow of silence to make all the hexers that could only spam their spells miserable. I was planning on doing the same in DS3, but magic is so mediocre here that it wouldn't even be fun. It would be like kicking a crippled kid.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 30, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So you basically do Pyromancy for the first half of the game, get 60 int, 30 faith then go sorcery?

When does Sorcery outscale pyromancy?

Which Miracle spells don't suck?

Someone give me the scrublord's guide to sorcery please.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean its pretty silly to act like mages don't know how to fight properly when using magic in this game is actually harder than just going with sword and board. In terms of PvP its not like its even hard to dodge in a 1v1.

how else am i supposed to increase my e-peen girth???

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jaaam posted:

I do agree 2 had the best PvP of the entire series but a lot of the weapon diversity came from DLC which DSIII doesn't have yet

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Harrow posted:

Stand in front of the head, not underneath him. All his moves except like, one, have big wind ups and tells. The fly up fire breath is very obvious- there's a shriek and he goes straight up. If you're underneath you're probably hosed but if you're by the head you'll be fine, just run or roll backwards.

His other real flying move he takes off to his right/your left- it's very obvious, and he starts circling while charging up a lightning spear, then he does a swoop attack before landing. It's always the same direction, speed and distance, so once you know what to look for it's very easy to track him, dodge, and then be where he lands to get free hits in.

He's got an attack where he hops up and lunges forward, it's pretty quick so watch out for that one, but I think there's a short shriek as a warning. He's also got the wind wall attack but I'm pretty sure he only does that if you're real far away, and it's easy to dodge through. Finally he can just take off and reposition behind you (if you're facing his head), but again it's always the same direction and distance so you'll get an idea of where he's going to be and can sprint to meet him there for a free hit, although sometimes the rider will start an attack as soon as he lands.

I actually started to really like the King of Storms fight once I figured out the trick (stand by head, don't lock on). Good thing, too, because Nameless kicked my rear end in all three of NG, NG+ and NG++.

e; I have a video of beating it in NG++ without getting hit. I'll probably upload that, I guess, so people can get an idea?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 30, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

No one said Mages can't fight properly

I said its fun to stab them because their build is super weak to DEX

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I can get through phase 1 without getting hit now.

Phase 2, though? Nope. Nope nope nope never gonna happen. On my very first attempt I actually got him down to about four hits left and now I can't even land four hits.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Damnit, died to Wolnir in ng+ and got cocky on the run back, rip those 400k souls. Was hoping to use 'em to buy a poo poo load of upgrade mats when I got the ability to purchase them, oh well.

e: For anyone that liks PVP, at least once do a ng+ run where you got the way of the blue on, and use the dried finger but don't summon. Constant 2v2s and you help your older blue bros out. For more fun use the Seed of Giants.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It's easy to dodge the drake's up and breath fire move, just start rolling directly away from it instead of sprinting. Any chance of getting hit will be mitigated by the i-frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Fereydun posted:

already ahead of you baby

benhart of jugo, level 30 piece of poo poo with a greatblue moonsword

That's actually a really good choice.