Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

fong posted:

I've been playing BG2 since it came out, I don't know how many times I've been through SOA, and I don't think I've ever done Cernd's quest. I know it has something to do with a house in the docks district?

You rescue him from the weird wizard in the sewers, he gives you a gem, you take the gem to the theatre basement, it opens a gate, cern and theatre company get captured, you chase after them and fight through a prison, then when you rescue them they go back to Sigil and Cernd stays in the bridge district. Fun amount of XP, all told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
cernd is the druid not the bard

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

LowellDND posted:

You rescue him from the weird wizard in the sewers, he gives you a gem, you take the gem to the theatre basement, it opens a gate, cern and theatre company get captured, you chase after them and fight through a prison, then when you rescue them they go back to Sigil and Cernd stays in the bridge district. Fun amount of XP, all told.

That's Haer'Delis. Cernd is the druid you get in Trademeet.

His personal quest is that he finds out he's a father

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

do I lose anything by running dynaheir straight into gnolls? I really like minsc but dynaheir kinda sucks

my party is:

khalid
jaheira
viconia
imoen
archer protagonist
minsc
I want to kill dynaheir

also I should probably get a mage in there somewhere right?

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Mortimer posted:

do I lose anything by running dynaheir straight into gnolls? I really like minsc but dynaheir kinda sucks

my party is:

khalid
jaheira
viconia
imoen
archer protagonist
minsc
I want to kill dynaheir

also I should probably get a mage in there somewhere right?

If you're playing the EE, there's a Wild Mage called Neera that you can pick up in Beregost.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rahzmataz posted:

If you're playing the EE, there's a Wild Mage called Neera that you can pick up in Beregost.

who should I replace? I met her and she's way off in the inn I think because I dismissed her

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
I'm inclined to say Khalid. Jaheira and Vic can tank well enough. It's kind of a tricky one though.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's Haer'Delis. Cernd is the druid you get in Trademeet.

His personal quest is that he finds out he's a father

Aha. Then I have never done that one either :v:

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
anomen is far more tolerable and entertaining as a broken man, for what it's worth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hollismason posted:

Wow, Cernd is a complete poo poo head rear end in a top hat. I just did his personal quest line. Bear feeding time as soon as I find a decent replacement.

Really enjoying the game so far. I really like that the quest are not like "Go here , Get this, bring me pelts". Very cool. I actually have enough gold to get Immoen but I wanna do a few more quests.

I also like that you know your party members actually talk to each other and interact.

Party

Jaheira
Minsc
Aeria
Amonen
Cernd

Why do you want to feed him to bears. Just kick him out of the group. Go grab Yoshimo I say because your party needs a thief.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think Hollismason's main is a Fighter/Thief, so the only thing that party lacks is a fully leveling Mage, and having one is not outright required for vanilla.

Mortimer posted:

You can just leave her in a nice house somewhere you know. :colbert:
Also, Dynaheir has issues early on because nothing can replace Sleep as a first level spell, but as soon as she reaches level 3 and can cast two Glitterdust/Horror/Stinking Cloud/Web that doesn't hurt so much anymore. And soon enough Sleep is useless anyway.
I think you can safely kick anyone except Imoen, but Khalid or Jaheira moreso than Viconia.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

You can just leave her in a nice house somewhere you know. :colbert:
Also, Dynaheir has issues early on because nothing can replace Sleep as a first level spell, but as soon as she reaches level 3 and can cast two Glitterdust/Horror/Stinking Cloud/Web that doesn't hurt so much anymore. And soon enough Sleep is useless anyway.
I think you can safely kick anyone except Imoen, but Khalid or Jaheira moreso than Viconia.

Except Minsc demands that he be with dynaheir, and I'd rather have Neera if I need a mage

Archer Protag
Minsc 2H / slings
Jaheira Melee druid
Viconia cleric
Imoen thief?
Neera Mage

is that a balanced party? Maybe minsc 1h + shield might make more sense. It's between having a mage in Neera or a good front liner in Ajantis. Can I turn Imoen into a mage?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If you get off the map Dynaheir's on before she gets a chance to talk to you or she dies, Minsc will stay.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cernd is the shittiest companion. In his quest you find out He knocked his wife up , leaves her, and then finds out about
the kid after his wife dies under mysterious circumstances. Then he gets the kid back from his wife's new husband, renames the boy a woman's name, then decides that instead of raising him he instead just leaves him to be raised by druids and goes off adventuring with you.

He literally abandons his child twice.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 29, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

He knocks his wife up , leaves her, and then finds out about the kid after his wife dies under mysterious circumstances. Then he gets the kid back from his wife's new husband, renames the boy a woman's name, then decides that instead of raising him he instead just leaves him to be raised by druids and goes off adventuring with you.

Wait until you see his epilogue in Throne of Bhaal.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Cernd is awesome because he's a good reminder that druids are untrustworthy pieces of poo poo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jaheira's a druid and she's trustworthy.

The Harpers are a dumb loving organization, though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The romance is creepyish but I won't let anyone besmirch Jaheira.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
True Neutral is basically ultra-evil

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Playing a True Neutral character in a video game is always loads of fun. Killing the evil wizard shifted your alignment towards Good? Better make up for it by stomping on some innocent peasants.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Playing a True Neutral character in a video game is always loads of fun. Killing the evil wizard shifted your alignment towards Good? Better make up for it by stomping on some innocent peasants.

I think the player's handbook description of true neutral contained an example of a character that helped a village under attack by trolls, only to switch to the trolls' side once the village begins to win. True Neutral as described was just loving insane.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alignments are not a great role-playing tool, no one has such a fixed world view or rigorous code of ethics (apart maybe from paladins?). But I don't think true neutral is so insane as a general moral code. It makes sense as a druid, like with the trolls example they might defend the village but if the villagers then wanted to go find the troll den and wipe them out the druid would change sides. Or possibly they'd investigate and find that the trolls were starving and would let them kill and eat the villagers. Thats how I'd write it at least. That'd be a hosed up and inexplicable thing for most non-druid human characters to do though, so it's less about alignment, really.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Cernd is the shittiest companion. In his quest you find out He knocked his wife up , leaves her, and then finds out about
the kid after his wife dies under mysterious circumstances. Then he gets the kid back from his wife's new husband, renames the boy a woman's name, then decides that instead of raising him he instead just leaves him to be raised by druids and goes off adventuring with you.

So basically he's Worf.

Anyway, I played around with assassin/fighter on the tab and enjoyed that. Poison darts are freaking brutal.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 30, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow, I did not realize that all of your buff spells affected your summons. Just destroyed the Planar Prison with Hasted Fire Elementals.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So basically he's Worf.

Anyway, I played around with assassin/fighter on the tab and enjoyed that. Poison darts are freaking brutal.

I tried Fighter/Thief and found it really fun, but I got kinda tired of stealth-sneak-position-stab over and over. In my current game my PC is a FMT, but i'm essentially using him as a Fighter with Trapfinding for now. Neera is handling all the spells, at least until the PC hits Mage level 3.

Hollismason posted:

Wow, I did not realize that all of your buff spells affected your summons. Just destroyed the Planar Prison with Hasted Fire Elementals.

Wait, for real? Had no idea about that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So basically he's Worf.

I laughed way too hard at this.

Would it be cheating to "reroute" the Underdark teleporter to the Sahuagin City? The game wants you to work with Saemon, content and time wise, but I can find no justification for trusting him, even if Yoshimo poisons you instead. You've just found out that Irenicus geas' his servants, after all- who's to say he's not going to sink the ship once you're far enough out at sea? Hopefully Claire and Golin still being on the docks is some kind of bug- I can't even ask them for transport to the mainland, I'd accept a "No room" excuse. And would a pirate crew really be suicidal enough to try to rob people as heavily armed with the kind of magic that could destroy their boat as you?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AngryBooch posted:

I think the player's handbook description of true neutral contained an example of a character that helped a village under attack by trolls, only to switch to the trolls' side once the village begins to win. True Neutral as described was just loving insane.

It was actually Gnolls but yeah this was described in 2e. After 2e True Neutral was described as being the alignment most people have. But it mentions also the crazy obsessed with Balance version as fitting under it as well.

I am reminded of Mordenkainen. Who was also balance obsessed. He eventually found records that an evil demon was trapped in Castle Greyhawk. Feeling that good had become too strong he decided to free it and tricked his ally Lord Robilar into going and freeing it under the pretense of slaying it. However it turned out Mordenkainen was wrong and it was not a Demon at all. It was the Evil Demigod of Pain and Oppression Iuz who upon being freed went back to his old empire and built a road out of the skulls of all of his subjects that had turned away from him or lost faith. Then he got back to spreading war and death with his massive evil empire. Mordenkainen felt super guilty about this and became a full time good guy feeling that was the only way to rebalance everything after letting lose such a horrible evil.

fong posted:

Alignments are not a great role-playing tool, no one has such a fixed world view or rigorous code of ethics (apart maybe from paladins?). But I don't think true neutral is so insane as a general moral code. It makes sense as a druid, like with the trolls example they might defend the village but if the villagers then wanted to go find the troll den and wipe them out the druid would change sides. Or possibly they'd investigate and find that the trolls were starving and would let them kill and eat the villagers. Thats how I'd write it at least. That'd be a hosed up and inexplicable thing for most non-druid human characters to do though, so it's less about alignment, really.

Trolls can literally eat themselves and be fine. I don't think it's possible for a troll to be starving.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

I laughed way too hard at this.

Would it be cheating to "reroute" the Underdark teleporter to the Sahuagin City? The game wants you to work with Saemon, content and time wise, but I can find no justification for trusting him, even if Yoshimo poisons you instead. You've just found out that Irenicus geas' his servants, after all- who's to say he's not going to sink the ship once you're far enough out at sea? Hopefully Claire and Golin still being on the docks is some kind of bug- I can't even ask them for transport to the mainland, I'd accept a "No room" excuse. And would a pirate crew really be suicidal enough to try to rob people as heavily armed with the kind of magic that could destroy their boat as you?

But if you don't do that you don't get the Silver blade.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm only in Chapter 2 , but where's a good place to buy great weapons/armor ? I've got like 55,000 gold now. Uh should probably get Immoen at some point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

But if you don't do that you don't get the Silver blade.

Imoen cast Slay Shithead Finger of Death on him, but it wasn't in his inventory.

EDIT: ^^^^^ Do you have the bonus merchants pack?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kavak posted:

Imoen cast Slay Shithead Finger of Death on him, but it wasn't in his inventory.

Nah, you find the blade of the silver sword somewhere in the city.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think you're supposed to pickpocket him, but it was on his body in Spellhold. If you have the blade the hilt comes to you with a bunch of Githyanki looking for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

I'm only in Chapter 2 , but where's a good place to buy great weapons/armor ? I've got like 55,000 gold now. Uh should probably get Immoen at some point.

Adventurers Mart. It's in the very first area in Amn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kavak posted:

I'm not sure if I do. I installed Gibberling 3 Tweak Pack unsure if that includes the Bonus Merchants mod as well it includes a lot.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm not sure if I do. I installed Gibberling 3 Tweak Pack unsure if that includes the Bonus Merchants mod as well it includes a lot.

I think it does. The Adventurer's Mart and the Copper Coronet will have some interesting additions now- free the slaves in the latter and you'll get a discount, so it's a good place to pick up basics.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
The Bonus Merchants can be added with the Tweak pack but I think they're there by default in the EE.

We're talking about the people that sell stuff like the Robe of Vecna and the Defender of Easthaven right?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

The Bonus Merchants can be added with the Tweak pack but I think they're there by default in the EE.

We're talking about the people that sell stuff like the Robe of Vecna and the Defender of Easthaven right?

Yeah. The Planescape merchant is awesome, except for Dak'kon's sword. *Karach* weapons cannot exist without their wielder, that sword shouldn't exist!
:goonsay:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

AngryBooch posted:

In fairness, the description also says "Clearly, there are very few true neutral characters in the world", so they knew it was loving insane.

I dig the idea of a philosophy dedicated to total balance, but pretty sure it shouldn't have been an alignment unto itself.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013
So I'm thinking about doing a solo run through both BG1EE & BG2EE, and I always have trouble figuring out which class to play. I thought about doing a cleric/ranger, but that was patched right? I've skimmed through a bit of the thread and think I read that.

I played a solo kensai/mage last year so I'd like to mix it up a bit. I didnt use any mods on that playthrough, but i should find the uncap xp mod and install that from what i understand. Which classes are the most fun through both games and ToB to you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Edit: Nevermind I got it working.

Apparently this is a problem with the fix pack.

If you can't get Cult of the Unseeing Eye to Trigger and you are good aligned Do this Command

C:CreateCreature("bharval")

Let him go inside then he'll give you the quest.

edit:

poo poo, Beholders.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 30, 2016