Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Phi230 posted:

Its unrealistic AND looks like poo poo.

If you want goofy cartoon fantasy play warcraft or something

This is the game warcraft was based on stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Wow @ your entire posting career. It's like an unholy mix of TWC and gamefaqs-level posting.

Cool

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I don't mean to interrupt this thought provoking conversation, but the .gif in the OP is broken and this is not good

Here it is again:

http://i.imgur.com/MhPromw.webm

E: linked gif instead of webm, oops

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 29, 2016

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
People here are posting converted and silly Ogres, and ignoring the 100% serious and grimdark original Maneaters.

Yeah, that's better, total grimdark, nothing goofy here. This ain't for babies.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That last one looks like he belongs in the tranny megathread.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
But really, that charge looked really dumb, like cav with explosive tipped lances on the moon, the guys fly away faster than the impacting knights are going. Looks like a hackjob. But maybe they are just reusing animations from a gigant smacking them around where that animation would make more sense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fangz posted:

To counter what others have said, consider starting with Shogun 2 first.

I very strongly believe that someone getting into the TW series should either start and end with Shogun 2 or go from Rome: Total War (or Rome 2, if you really want to play in Roman times and can't stand poo poo graphics) -> Medieval 2: Total War -> Shogun 2.

The rest are 100% ignorable. FOTS does better Napoleon than Napoleon and ship combat has always been a mess.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

KillerQueen posted:

So I've never played Total War, and in fact the only rts I've ever played was Starcraft 2 (and even then I wasn't that great at it). How harsh is the learning curve? I wanna WAAAGH mah way inta some sof' hummies.

The whole reason I got into total war is because I can pause combat and give effective commands. I suck at real time strategy, but this gives you the option to slow time or pause it and put your units where you need them. You can't do this in multiplayer, but I hate multiplayer so who cares

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I very strongly believe that someone getting into the TW series should either start and end with Shogun 2 or go from Rome: Total War (or Rome 2, if you really want to play in Roman times and can't stand poo poo graphics) -> Medieval 2: Total War -> Shogun 2.

The rest are 100% ignorable. FOTS does better Napoleon than Napoleon and ship combat has always been a mess.

I kinda liked ships of the line in Napoleon, but you should just go get Battlefleet Gothic: Armageddon of that interests you.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

KillerQueen posted:

So I've never played Total War, and in fact the only rts I've ever played was Starcraft 2 (and even then I wasn't that great at it). How harsh is the learning curve? I wanna WAAAGH mah way inta some sof' hummies.

I think the main thing that might trip you up compared to normal RTS games is that morale and flanking is a thing. Basically your dudes don't usually fight to the death - take enough casualties or run into something scary enough or even watch other guys freak out too often, and they'll break and run for the hills, ignoring all orders or the fact that the enemy is sending cavalry to run them down and kill them. In that vein, flanking is one of those things that breaks morale real good - let a unit get hit in the rear end or sides, especially if you can sandwich them between two units, and they'll shatter much faster.

The upshot of all this is that you need to learn how to organize your armies into formations that prevent flanking as much as possible and tries to trap the enemy with your own flanking maneuver. It's less complex than it sounds, though, a basic hammer and anvil with a line of infantry to act as the anvil and detached units of cavalry to act as the hammer will get you through like 75%+ of all AI battles.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Should I play it with or without FotS?

I played Shogun 2 very briefly when it came out but after getting destroyed by the AI on easy or normal I quit after the first few battles of the campaign.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I have limited RTS experience and have never played a previous total war, but want to eventually get into multiplayer. Would it be recommended to learn the game without pausing, or to learn the game with pausing and try to get the hang of playing without pausing once I have a better understanding of core gameplay?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've never in my life used the pause function

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

shut the gently caress uppppp holy poo poo

This. Originally you might have had some merit Phi230. Now you are just being intentionally belligerent .

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

goodness posted:

Should I play it with or without FotS?

I played Shogun 2 very briefly when it came out but after getting destroyed by the AI on easy or normal I quit after the first few battles of the campaign.

Play without. FOTS is again, another layer of complexity.

Tomn posted:

I think the main thing that might trip you up compared to normal RTS games is that morale and flanking is a thing. Basically your dudes don't usually fight to the death - take enough casualties or run into something scary enough or even watch other guys freak out too often, and they'll break and run for the hills, ignoring all orders or the fact that the enemy is sending cavalry to run them down and kill them. In that vein, flanking is one of those things that breaks morale real good - let a unit get hit in the rear end or sides, especially if you can sandwich them between two units, and they'll shatter much faster.

The upshot of all this is that you need to learn how to organize your armies into formations that prevent flanking as much as possible and tries to trap the enemy with your own flanking maneuver. It's less complex than it sounds, though, a basic hammer and anvil with a line of infantry to act as the anvil and detached units of cavalry to act as the hammer will get you through like 75%+ of all AI battles.

Well, the other thing is that chain routs are important. It's often better to hammer on a wavering unit than spread out the damage, because once one unit runs there's a decent chance the panic will spread until the entire lot evaporates. Similarly you need to keep your general running around moralizing your guys.

Another peculiarity is that units are sticky - when units engage it becomes difficult to disengage them without incurring lots of damage. This means that locking opponents into combat is definitely a thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

posting about bad posters is still bad posting

Please could everyone take note of this post.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Another peculiarity is that units are sticky - when units engage it becomes difficult to disengage them without incurring lots of damage. This means that locking opponents into combat is definitely a thing.

How is this odd? If I am fighting somebody and they decide to just walk away from me then I will have no issue stabbing them in the back. Cavalry and large monsters can get away with due to sheer size/speed but that does not apply to infantry.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
While Total War Warhammer will undoubtedly be the most complex TW game ever made, its not Hearts of Iron 3 or even Crusader Kings 2 levels of complexity.

Besides the dude says he wants to play ORCS and WAAAGH it up, not play honorable Samuraimens or whatever.

You'll be fine dude, just play on easy and play the tutorial you'll figure poo poo out and you'll have a WAAAAGH the likes of which have never been seen before in the old world!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gejnor posted:

While Total War Warhammer will undoubtedly be the most complex TW game ever made, its not Hearts of Iron 3 or even Crusader Kings 2 levels of complexity.

Besides the dude says he wants to play ORCS and WAAAGH it up, not play honorable Samuraimens or whatever.

You'll be fine dude, just play on easy and play the tutorial you'll figure poo poo out and you'll have a WAAAAGH the likes of which have never been seen before in the old world!

This. And if you pause, use it to take sweet screenshots :P

EDIT: Christ this thread's gonna be full of em at launch :psyduck:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Mind you, using previous Total Wars as a yardstick for the learning curve in Total Warhammer may or may not apply, given the addition of poo poo like flying units, huge-rear end monsters, and magic. Maybe it'll turn out that adding a third dimension into planning is an enormous mindfuck that exponentially ramps up the learning curve compared to the past, maybe it'll turn out that magic is so powerful that you can win the game by spamming top-level attack spells, maybe it turns out that the new elements are simple to figure out but the UI is such hot garbage that learning how to get your dudes to do what you want properly is way more difficult than it should be, who knows? For all we know it'll turn out that newbies can pick up Total Warhammer faster than veterans because veterans are too used to old tactics to adapt easily to the new stuff.

We can guess at how easy or difficult the game is to pick up, but it's very much a guess until the game comes out.

Hunt11 posted:

How is this odd? If I am fighting somebody and they decide to just walk away from me then I will have no issue stabbing them in the back. Cavalry and large monsters can get away with due to sheer size/speed but that does not apply to infantry.

He means in comparison to standard RTS games where that sort of thing isn't usually as big a concern, since the original guy he was responding to had only really played things like Starcraft 2 before.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

jfood posted:

The beards and moustaches of The Empire would have to be considerably toned down in a 'realism mod'

Dear god man, what next? The puffy clothes?????

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
They came for the mustaches and I said nothing...

Then they came for the pointy beards but I did not have one...

Then they came for the puffy shirts and I was the only one left...

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
gently caress this stupid slap-fight.

Personally I'd be all for less floaty physics on the heavier units of races and most Dwarves.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Having the cavalry push the entire block a bit and throw some back a bit / trample them down would look good. Cav charge throwing infantry back like 6 horse lengths at the speed of light does look a little off. Too much is better than too little though probably so, eh

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

jfood posted:

The beards and moustaches of The Empire would have to be considerably toned down in a 'realism mod'

Please think about the words you say and the damage they may do.

Bull poo poo.

Nash posted:

Dear god man, what next? The puffy clothes?????

loving lol.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
It's a sad day when you realise that a bonkers world like Warhammer is the more subtle of the two.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

It's a sad day when you realise that a bonkers world like Warhammer is the more subtle of the two.

Of the two? Are we comparing to Warcraft or the real world?

quote:

The young prince had occupied the past months in extracting sums of money and precious metals, by blood-curdling threats, from the wealthy bishoprics of Muenster and Paderborn. He had issued startling letters, suggestively burnt at the four corners, and bearing the words 'Fire! Fire! Blood! Blood!' to every sizeable village he passed.

These people are maniacs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Uh, okay. This was unexpected.

http://blog.dota2.com/2016/04/warhammer-comes-to-the-dota-2-workshop/

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uhm yeah thats.. something alright.

Cool way to spread the word i guess but it feels weird seeing Warhammer Fantasy dudes in a game like DotA 2.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Proof that even Games Workshop, the most out-of-touch of companies, can still drool and beg at the raw wealth and success of the likes of Valve. Deep down, they know they'll never, ever be as big as those who passed them by.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

Because Warhammer’s aesthetics are similar in spirit to much of the Dota universe,

???????

I guess they are both fantasy and also

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I for one feel that the aesthetics of Dota would be greatly improved by the addition of puffed and slashed sleeves.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Tomn posted:

I for one feel that the aesthetics of Dota would be greatly improved by the addition of puffed and slashed sleeves.

Crystal maiden with giant waxed mustache and pointy beard.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

terrorist ambulance posted:

Having the cavalry push the entire block a bit and throw some back a bit / trample them down would look good. Cav charge throwing infantry back like 6 horse lengths at the speed of light does look a little off. Too much is better than too little though probably so, eh

Remember, most of the time the player is going to be zoomed out, so if it's not super exaggerated it won't be seen during normal gameplay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I dont know posted:

Remember, most of the time the player is going to be zoomed out, so if it's not super exaggerated it won't be seen during normal gameplay.

This is the real reason basically.

Complaining about it is akin to watching up-close footage of stage actors and criticizing them for over-emoting. It's done on purpose so it can be seen from a distance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any tabletop experts out there have tips on tge steam tank and how it will play in TWW?

It seems lackluster in melee and its a standard cannon just on wheels. Is it a specialized giant killer?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

Of the two? Are we comparing to Warcraft or the real world?

These people are maniacs.

Is that the 30 years war? Sounds like somethimg from then

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Is that the 30 years war? Sounds like somethimg from then

Yeah, early on. Gotta get that army paid.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pnutz posted:

from the guy who captured that cannonball gif that's now on the OP

http://i.imgur.com/u1nEKJR.gifv

that's my level of flying :)

and

http://i.imgur.com/sZUvyd0.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet