Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's not touting it as a solution for everyone, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Scaramouche posted:

The first thing he said to me was that he thinks facecams are stupid.

He is ready.

Teach him.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's weird to be that he spends 10 minutes to explain something and he keeps expounding upon the fact that he makes no money off the videos, when in reality he's making bank off these videos...just not directly from youtube. I mean he is literally making 10K a month from patreon to make a video to explain how he's not making money from these videos. It doesn't invalidate his point but the method that he talks about is purposely gaming a system that he could easily just make worse (i.e. Nintendo and the like cracking down further to just outright block videos) is just aggravating. Along with just his general mannerism and overall gimmick.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Niggurath posted:

It's weird to be that he spends 10 minutes to explain something and he keeps expounding upon the fact that he makes no money off the videos, when in reality he's making bank off these videos...just not directly from youtube. I mean he is literally making 10K a month from patreon to make a video to explain how he's not making money from these videos. It doesn't invalidate his point but the method that he talks about is purposely gaming a system that he could easily just make worse (i.e. Nintendo and the like cracking down further to just outright block videos) is just aggravating. Along with just his general mannerism and overall gimmick.

He only said he doesn't monetize this specific series, though, which at least implies that he actively monetizes the videos he does for other series. All he says is that, if you're reliably certain that someone is going to make a claim on your video, there's a way you can abuse the system to ensure that nobody's happy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Golden Goat posted:

When he says he want's to "learn stuff" what does he mean, cause learning about video and audio editing would be particularly neat and it would feed sorta into what he wants to do.

I say don't discourage him. In fact why not do an LP with him.

Yeah learn stuff specifically refers to the tech side of it, he sees it as a chance to get a jump start on some of his schooling (which I've found out doesn't start until September so he's definitely going to have time).

Proooobably not going to LP with him. You know how some people have a face for radio? I have a voice and speaking mannerisms for newspaper ;)

So after having talked to him a bit more, it's not quite LPs as we know it. He doesn't want to do real-time narration of a game while it's experienced; currently he's leaning more toward a discussion/informational format, specifically related to new releases and recent events in general as they relate to games. Having reviewed his influencers it's definitely more of a blab about new games/game news play than it is a classic LP styled one, though I might suggest he tries classic LP at first, especially some of the music stuff ideas that Mega64 mentioned. Also Jobo_Fett, I remember that part of Retsuprae too, I'll have to forward that on to him.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah learn stuff specifically refers to the tech side of it, he sees it as a chance to get a jump start on some of his schooling (which I've found out doesn't start until September so he's definitely going to have time).

Proooobably not going to LP with him. You know how some people have a face for radio? I have a voice and speaking mannerisms for newspaper ;)
Definitely encourage it if he's interested in the tech stuff. No worries about doing a LP with him, thought it just might be fun to do together.

Also

Make sure he stays off the soulless business-like wasteland that is Reddit's Let's Play section.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah, I just wrote a >1500 word email to him detailing the history of let's play and how it relates to what he wants to do. Some of my favourite excerpts:

Slowbeef probably started the phenomenon but he doesn't want to take blame for it

Even though millions of gameplay videos have been published since then in a lot of ways I see how Research Indicates did things as a platonic ideal of what a Let's Play video should be

DarkSydePhil is probably, medically, retarded

Illbleed is an incredibly obtuse and nutso japanese horror game that's impossible to describe properly

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Let's Play! - Slowbeef probably started the phenomenon but he doesn't want to take blame for it

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Hah, I just wrote a >1500 word email to him detailing the history of let's play and how it relates to what he wants to do. Some of my favourite excerpts:

Slowbeef probably started the phenomenon but he doesn't want to take blame for it

Even though millions of gameplay videos have been published since then in a lot of ways I see how Research Indicates did things as a platonic ideal of what a Let's Play video should be

DarkSydePhil is probably, medically, retarded

Illbleed is an incredibly obtuse and nutso japanese horror game that's impossible to describe properly

I hope he actually manages to bring a few of the things you explained to the Youtube LP table. There's so many youtube LP viewers that think that lovely facecam LPs are the only way to do LPs that it's nice whenever some reality leaves this subforum makes it to Youtube.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Scaramouche posted:

No it's more like every time I bring that up, some rear end in a top hat goes "I saw a guy play Castlevania on VHS in 1986, you're such an rear end in a top hat for trying to take credit for it" and I got sick of it for 8 years or however long. I'm honestly fine with the "inventing LP" thing (whatever that means); it's just impossible to talk about.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
And I don't know if it's good form to post the e-mail, so I'll say this. It's a true story.

I received an e-mail from a Let's Player this week about how an RP video I did on him years back... well... he started thinking years later about what his videos were like, and said our video sort of maybe inspired him to do some self reflection and he made a recent video about "Old vs. New Me" that was partially in response to it.

And he ended up thanking me for that RP video.

It was from Pewdiepie. (And it was really him, he followed me on Twitter to confirm it.)

edit: This sounds like one-sided "pat myself on the back" kinda nonsense, it was just a really... well, nice and unexpected thing. Over the past few months, I've really turned around on the guy and on Monday, he wrote a blog post standing up for a disabled fan of his that like totally sold me on "Okay I was wrong about this dude."

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 29, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

slowbeef posted:

edit: This sounds like one-sided "pat myself on the back" kinda nonsense, it was just a really... well, nice and unexpected thing. Over the past few months, I've really turned around on the guy and on Monday, he wrote a blog post standing up for a disabled fan of his that like totally sold me on "Okay I was wrong about this dude."

Well, you weren't wrong. it's just that people can change with time, and old views get outdated.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He was early 20's when he became big, right? It's probably just a lot of maturing in general, which is great since it's easy to get stuck in your personality once you get a certain amount of fame and money. Who isn't a terrible shithead in their teens/early twenties?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Well, you weren't wrong. it's just that people can change with time, and old views get outdated.

No, he was wrong because he thought PDP was this gif:

But then it turns out that he actually did change and he's a better person now. So yay.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Sure, but I will admit to feeling some bias. At any rate, nice to bury the hatchet with the guy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mega64 posted:

He was early 20's when he became big, right? It's probably just a lot of maturing in general, which is great since it's easy to get stuck in your personality once you get a certain amount of fame and money. Who isn't a terrible shithead in their teens/early twenties?

"I was very childish back then. I really should go back and censor some of these videos..." - Pewdiepie in "Old vs.New Me"

That's cool. A better ending than anyone could have hoped for.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jazerus posted:

"I was very childish back then. I really should go back and censor some of these videos..."

Oh man, I'm currently waiting for people to cry out "loving PDP bowing down to the ESS JAY DOUBLE YOOS and FEMNAZIS *tumblr references*"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Oh man, I'm currently waiting for people to cry out "loving PDP bowing down to the ESS JAY DOUBLE YOOS and FEMNAZIS *tumblr references*"

God I want this to happen so bad, please truly redeem yourself PDP and cast off the shitheels of your fanbase. :buddy:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Leal posted:

I'm actually kind of amazed. The Like bar on that video shows no red, and all the comments near the top are pretty supportive.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Huh, that's nice on PDP's part - I still hate his videos but hey, rethinking your stances on stuff and realizing you were being immature/wrong is always a good thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I would watch the video myself, but I don't want YouTube to start recommending PDP videos to me again. :(

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I knew he'd changed, but I had no idea it was because of the "Adults React" video. That's a heartwarming story. I actually sometimes watch his videos now - they're obviously not everyone's cup of tea, particularly here, but he manages to be pretty entertaining in that over-the-top Youtube-popular way sometimes, and certainly less cringe-worthy than I was expecting from the bits I'd seen of early videos. Could do without some of the mugging for the webcam, though.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Dias posted:

Huh, that's nice on PDP's part - I still hate his videos but hey, rethinking your stances on stuff and realizing you were being immature/wrong is always a good thing.

Self awareness and sanity are strange and wonderful things to find in the youtube community.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jamesman posted:

I would watch the video myself, but I don't want YouTube to start recommending PDP videos to me again. :(

If you go into your history and delete the video afterwards it won't affect your recommended videos.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Leal posted:

Considering that his fans base is literal children I can't see this happening.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

EricFate posted:

Self awareness and sanity are strange and wonderful things to find in the youtube community.

Also loving rare

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've been having a hard time finding LPers that I enjoy watching, but I have been finding other gaming-relating channels that I like a lot. I dunno if there's a better thread for that kind of stuff over in Games or something (I don't really look there much anymore), but I thought I'd share here anyway since we talk about all kind of YouTube gaming stuff here.

Stop Skeletons From Fighting - He started out as the Happy Video Game Nerd, but the inspiration didn't last long and he quickly found his own style. The name stuck around, but only in name, while he continued to make videos that didn't reflect any sort of character or influence, and finally rebranded to SSFF to fully come into his own. His videos are about offering some nice in-depth looks into some old and not-so-old games and what makes them stand out in his eyes. He also has some videos where he looks back at games that are remembered as good or bad and tries to look at them with a fresh perspective to see if they are as good or bad as remembered. And he does have videos of him playing games on there and his partner channel, usually recordings from his Twitch channel, if you are just looking for some video of people playing games.

Metal Jesus Rocks - Former Sierra employee, family man, retro gamer/collector, guitarist in a local metal band. All around good-natured goofy nerdy guy. Channel is filled with "haul" videos where he shows off things that he finds at garage sales or Goodwill or off Craigslist or are just given to him and you are filled with jealousy because all you can find in your area is GARBAGE and this guy is putting together an awesome retro collection. He also collaborates with lots of other people from the gaming community in the area to show off their collections and talk about all kinds of poo poo, like the more unique/rare items for collections, to games that were overlooked/underappreciated that you should check out, to essential games to get if you're starting for an older system, to reproduction carts and brand new games for old systems. A lot of fun people show up on his channel, and it's a good jumping off point if you wanna check out their channels too.

Matthewmatosis - Really thorough, in-depth looks at games and game design in the form of reviews and retrospectives. He'll have some one-off videos where he'll look at a game he likes and recommend it and explain why he likes it, or look at Tetris and explain why it may be the literal perfect video game, but he also has multi-part series for things like the Zelda series, or the 3D Mario games, or Metal Gear Solid, where he looks at each game separately and the series as a whole. They're really interesting because unlike most review videos, the emphasis is the break down all the aspects of games' designs. Think of how Red Letter Media or YourMovieSucks dodo movie reviews, where they break down the aspects of the movie design. Kinda like that, except without the emphasis on negativity/humor and more just "What impact does this have on the game and my ability to play it and enjoy it?"

SNES Drunk - Relatively short (less than 6 minutes) videos talking about retro games. Focuses on SNES games, but also talks about NES, Genesis, and handhelds sometimes too. He gives quick reviews for games you might have missed out on, Japanese/PAL exclusives, and gives his opinion on if a game holds up today and is worth seeking out. Nice short and to the point videos if you don't want those 30 or 40-minute-long review channels I talked about above.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Pewdiepie is different? I'd watched one of his recent (this year) videos and it looks like he's doing the same things as always.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
from what I understand his change to being not terrible started very recently.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

And I don't know if it's good form to post the e-mail, so I'll say this. It's a true story.

I received an e-mail from a Let's Player this week about how an RP video I did on him years back... well... he started thinking years later about what his videos were like, and said our video sort of maybe inspired him to do some self reflection and he made a recent video about "Old vs. New Me" that was partially in response to it.

It was from Pewdiepie. (And it was really him, he followed me on Twitter to confirm it.)

now do tobygames

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Nah. Toby needs professional help. Not trying to be funny here. I really think he does.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Where does Markiplier rank on this scale.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Suspicious Dish posted:

now do tobygames

Sorry, that dude is fubar.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

slowbeef posted:

Whoa whoa, wait...

You're INFLUENCING people now?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

IGgy IGsen posted:

Nah. Toby needs professional help. Not trying to be funny here. I really think he does.

The police are professionals, right?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

slowbeef posted:

I thought his reaction to Adults React at the time was just "lol thanks for the free money"? But i guess that was a while ago so i suppose he's changed? Good for him, but i'm still not gonna watch him.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Recommendations

In the vein of matthewmatosis there is also Noah Caldwell-Gervais, who does long form video analysis of game themes and retrospectives of different series. Sometimes the editing can be a little bare as he leaves vocal flubs but I prefer it over the thing Jim Sterling does where he will talk until you can hear him struggling to find just that last O2 molecule to finish his thought.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I feel like there was some issue I had with Matthewmatosis' way of making a point that started from a base assumption that didn't seem to have much ground, but it was somewhere in his six hour-long Dark Souls video and I don't want to go check again. He makes good points, but it can be easy to get wrapped up in his essays and miss some of his personal bias.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HGH posted:

Where does Markiplier rank on this scale.

As far as I know, Markiplier is legitimately a really nice guy even if you don't like his style of LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
So uh

Darksydephil accidentally livestreamed himself jacking off on facecam. There is a video of it that someone posted on Youtube. You can't really see any genitalia (thank goodness) but it's still VERY :nws: so I don't know if I can link it. Everyone on twitter is talking about it and everything.

• Locked thread