Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rotary hammers with quad tip cutters are god mode for masonry drilling. Piece of rebar in there? gently caress YOUR REBAR! IMMA COMING THROUGH!"

Ive got a Milwaukee M18 SDS rotary hammer and its awesome, even in plain chisel mode it spalls concrete off like a hot knife through a rib cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

mekilljoydammit posted:

Had a pretty awesome couple of weeks around my birthday. [...]

Awesome. Now get yourself some LED lighting for that seemingly dim space.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Jared592 posted:

Awesome. Now get yourself some LED lighting for that seemingly dim space.

Lighting's on the list. Worried about power though; the circuit going out to the barn is only something like 30 amps, and over the long run I'm definitely going to have to do something about that. Oh well, what would be the fun of buying the house/property and having the work space actually be set up for my needs without needing work?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Get a few of these puppies, 38W a piece:
http://www.costco.com/4%E2%80%99-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain,-2-pack.product.100223617.html

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone have recommendations for a sub-$250 borescope? I need it to have led lighting on the head and it needs to be able to fit in a spark plug hole.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
For something you're not using professionally: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5mm-Waterproof-USB-Inspection-Camera-Boroscope-Snake-Scope-Endoscope-1-5M-6LED-/391254508961

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RapeWhistle posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a sub-$250 borescope? I need it to have led lighting on the head and it needs to be able to fit in a spark plug hole.

tons of different ones on amazon under 25 bucks. quality can be OK but not bad considering how drat cheap they are.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I borescoped an air filter housing on a Mercedes S550 just to be funny at the shop. Come to find out it was full of acorns.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got this free bench vise. Babco 35. The jaws are 3.5" but the jaw plates extend wider and these are 3.75". Is it big enough? I have no idea. I haven't seen any smaller than 4". I guess it's good enough?

Same exact one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vise-Babco-35-SWIVEL-Anvil-back-Oakland-Calif-Made-in-Japan-w-pipe-grips-/252341560783

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slightly sideways, but considering how much time i spend cooking, i bought myself a new tool for that.

Shun classic 10" chefs knife. This thing is absolutely god mode dicing onions.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

Slightly sideways, but considering how much time i spend cooking, i bought myself a new tool for that.

Way purdy. I drive a JA Henckles but that Shun was a very close second. Thought I needed a German blade cuz I was just starting out, but the thing still works after ~8 years just fine so v:shobon:v

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Gorgeous. I'm rocking a Mac Superior Santoku I got for a birthday a couple years ago - wife literally won't use it because every time she tries she accidentally cuts herself. I know I shouldn't laugh at things like that but...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife sliced her hand open on a Santoku on our second date. I think she still uses that knife all the time (it's beat to poo poo, though).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Safety Dance posted:

My wife sliced her hand open on a Santoku on our second date. I think she still uses that knife all the time (it's beat to poo poo, though).

Rarely does a knife fight on a date lead to a successful marriage - so congrats!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The story gets a little better. She was trying to make french toast for dinner for us, and she cut herself pretty badly getting the knife out of the package about an hour before I got there. Her roommate dumped some quikclot on it and then started scrubbing up blood in the kitchen. My wife tried to tell her roommate that the roommate didn't need to clean up my wife's blood, and the roommate replied, "But you've got a boy coming over!"

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Any opinions on the Aircat 800? I'm delving into air tools and my first purchase will be a quiet low torque 1/4" air ratchet for tiny fasteners.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

RapeWhistle posted:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCT410S1-12V-Inspection-Camera/dp/B0043XX89K

Have six of these, most are 3+ years old and doing flood damage inspection every day. Only one failure.

Probably more than you need, but the removable screen is loving awesome and the picture is pretty good.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ferremit posted:

I also got myself a Japanese chefs knife, and holy hell are they amazing. My girlfriend managed to pull something which dragged it off the counter and (luckily) it didn't go point down into my foot, but "only" bounced on the floor and then into my heel.
The good: The point didn't break. The bad: It's annoying as gently caress to have a decently big cut on the heel.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

Any opinions on the Aircat 800? I'm delving into air tools and my first purchase will be a quiet low torque 1/4" air ratchet for tiny fasteners.

No use with that but the HF version is nice. But for a lot of tiny fasteners I like my matco 1\4" electric impact.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I just moved into the first place with a garage and basement and finally have the space to start working on my own stuff. I had a flea market tool set until last year that I threw away when I moved leaving me with nothing other than a mix of odd sized or niche tools that used to be my grandfathers, a beam style torque wrench, a small ratchet set, and a crappy corded drill. Can you guys recommend a good starter mechanics tool set and tool box manufacturer? I have up to $500 to spend all together.

Also, is there any non standard tools I should have? I'm planning on buying an electric impact driver and a strap wrench for oil changes, but beyond that I don't know what I don't know as far as useful tools to have around.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Get a decent multimeter. Doesn't have to be a Fluke, plenty of good ones under $50 on Amazon. Normally I like HF but Harbor Freight is a bad option for this.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
If you can plop down a little more coin, AVE posted something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDm5BfRrAsg

Personally I sharked all the local craiglists hard for about 3 months and got my self a fluke 87 on the super cheap.

For tool sets, Id recommend something from Husky or Kobalt in the "Mechanics Tool Set" variety. They are reasonable quality, lifetime warranty and right now they will probably be around longer than sears.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_573344-22328-86756_0__?productId=50200795

For tool boxes, harbor freight. I love mine. Very well built for the money.
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/44-in-13-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-68784.html

Sadi fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 28, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

-Zydeco- posted:

I just moved into the first place with a garage and basement and finally have the space to start working on my own stuff. I had a flea market tool set until last year that I threw away when I moved leaving me with nothing other than a mix of odd sized or niche tools that used to be my grandfathers, a beam style torque wrench, a small ratchet set, and a crappy corded drill. Can you guys recommend a good starter mechanics tool set and tool box manufacturer? I have up to $500 to spend all together.

Also, is there any non standard tools I should have? I'm planning on buying an electric impact driver and a strap wrench for oil changes, but beyond that I don't know what I don't know as far as useful tools to have around.

Check out Costco, they usually have a nice big starter tool set for around $100. Like this: http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html I've seen that set go on sale for $79 every now and then so you might wait if you like to get a good deal.

I'd say buy more specialized tools as you need them. For oil filters sometimes strap wrenches don't work well if your filter is in a really tight spot or if it's a cartridge style filter. Really depends on your car and where your filter is located what kind of tool you want. If you're changing oil yourself then you also don't need to go insane tightening down the filter. Really just a bit past a snug hand tight is good enough.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 28, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, as long as you're not measuring current through it, the harbor freight multimeter will be perfectly fine for most household uses. I get the ones free with coupon and leave them in my car. Work fine to test battery voltage, and whether an alternator is putting out proper voltage, checking continuity, as well as basic circuit troubleshooting around the house.

Edit: I do have a decent multimeter that I use for electronics stuff, but the cheap HF meters have their place.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh this might be old news but I was in a Harbor Freight over the weekend and noticed they have a big 1/2" size version of their extendable ratchet: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-extendable-ratchet-62311.html I love the 3/8" & 1/4" version of this ratchet so to see a 1/2" version is great. It extends out to a pretty large size too--easily as long as most breaker bars. I don't think it would survive the kind of punishment a breaker bar can take, but for getting stuff off that's just a bit too tight I bet it would work great. Definitely going to pick one up in the near future.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I had one of these dudes and it's been pretty cool: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-18-in-ratcheting-breaker-bar-67957.html The ratchet did flake out after about two years or so but it got me through a number of suspension jobs and I felt like I got my money's worth out of it. Hit it with a hammer on a regular basis and it held up.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Oh this might be old news but I was in a Harbor Freight over the weekend and noticed they have a big 1/2" size version of their extendable ratchet: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-extendable-ratchet-62311.html I love the 3/8" & 1/4" version of this ratchet so to see a 1/2" version is great. It extends out to a pretty large size too--easily as long as most breaker bars. I don't think it would survive the kind of punishment a breaker bar can take, but for getting stuff off that's just a bit too tight I bet it would work great. Definitely going to pick one up in the near future.

My wife bought me that exact ratchet a month or two ago and I love it. I hand from it and it just keeps on trucking. It brakes any and all bolts free of there rusty he'll.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I don't think mine is Craftsman, but it's this same style. Works extremely well: Holy extremely long URL, Batman!

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Whelp kind of blew up the budget at $850 but whatever, I have tools. Good thing its warm out now so I can ride my motorcycles while I save up for the parts I was supposed to be spending my money on. :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Check out Costco, they usually have a nice big starter tool set for around $100. Like this: http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html I've seen that set go on sale for $79 every now and then so you might wait if you like to get a good deal.

That's a great starter kit - I bought one on sale to keep in the Jeep, so I don't have to pack/unpack a million sockets every time I go offroading. It's nice quality, I've been finding myself pulling it out and using it instead of my misc. yardsale + HF stuff. A lot of the sockets are 6pt which I like and the molded case is really solid - everything snaps in firmly and doesn't come loose in the back on bad roads. The service tech who comes out for our golf carts at work uses it and says it's really holding up well to abuse and battery acid.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Honestly, as long as you're not measuring current through it, the harbor freight multimeter will be perfectly fine for most household uses. I get the ones free with coupon and leave them in my car. Work fine to test battery voltage, and whether an alternator is putting out proper voltage, checking continuity, as well as basic circuit troubleshooting around the house.

Edit: I do have a decent multimeter that I use for electronics stuff, but the cheap HF meters have their place.

Isn't the problem with the super cheap multimeters more that they catch fire and explode if you eg. accidentally try to measure voltage while it's set to ohms?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Normally I'm a big HF proponent in the tool threads because there's a lot to love for cheap, but I've gotten at least 8 bad multimeters so far. They go bad in subtle ways sometimes, where you don't necessarily figure it out until you can compare vs a couple other meters. Seems like usually they gradually drift to as far as 2v off up or down, but one slagged itself (measuring DC volts in a 10a fused circuit and not set for ohms) and a couple were just DOA. One had a bad continuity buzzer but only intermittently. None of them ever stay turned off in a toolbox or bag because the On/Off switch is a lovely sensitive pushbutton that sticks out from the front, so usually when you need it it's dead. Most people remove the battery after every use, which is functional I guess but it's a waste of loving time when a good reliable one can be had for :20bux: on Amazon.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 28, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

SouthsideSaint posted:

No use with that but the HF version is nice. But for a lot of tiny fasteners I like my matco 1\4" electric impact.

Yeah, lithium-powered impact drivers poo poo all over air ratchets nowadays. I have a right angle Hitachi that vibrates just right.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Guys we've had multimeter chat in this thread at least a few times, I understand there's a lot of pages to search through but c'mon

here's a link to one of my posts the last time we had meterchat

tl;dr don't buy cheap meters, you may die

That cheap chinese Fluke looks like a drat good call, though. click here for the 15b and click here for the 17b - i'm not super clear on the differences but it seems mostly like the 17 has the peak and hold / relative measurement stuff which is neat but probably not worth the extra $.

Gearbest don't have the fastest shipping in the world (ranges from 3 days to 3+ weeks because ePacket - here's a touchy-feely-waaaaah-muh-american-jobs article about how cheap shipping from china works) but they are a legitimate site and have really good customer support (if not super fast).

Plus they take PayPal so even if the thing doesn't show up you're good.

E:

EKDS5k posted:

Isn't the problem with the super cheap multimeters more that they catch fire and explode if you eg. accidentally try to measure voltage while it's set to ohms?

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM&t=364s

Also, SharkyTM's link to this video in this post contains a lot of good info:

Part of the reason these good multimeters cost so much (even the cheap chinese fluke isn't pocket change) is because the high-rupture-current fuse inside the thing (aka the piece of ceramics and metal that stops you from dying horribly) alone costs $20-25.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 28, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mod sassinator posted:

I have this. I broke half the plastic handle off (the back half is just hollow plastic, no metal in it...) but still use it regularly. I will return it for a new one when I remember. Worth buying IMO, even with the lovely handle.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

I have this. I broke half the plastic handle off (the back half is just hollow plastic, no metal in it...) but still use it regularly. I will return it for a new one when I remember. Worth buying IMO, even with the lovely handle.

It's on sale through Saturday, too (possibly regional?) YMMV but

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I have one of those for 7-8 years now and have put it through all kinds of abuse without issue. It's perfect for a junkyard toolbox because you don't have to bring a breaker bar.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I've been using that HF extendable ratchet for a while now. I thought it was just a gimmick - but I don't know how many times I've used it to loosen caliper bracket bolts, and extended it for extra leverage.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

QuarkMartial posted:

I don't think mine is Craftsman, but it's this same style. Works extremely well: Holy extremely long URL, Batman!

The thing about long urls is that usually they are a short url in disguise: http://www.sears.com/f/p-02820523000P

I have the Sears one (made in USA, lifetime warranty) and it has certainly gotten me out of several jams when the strap wrench was just not cutting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
1/2" extendable ratchet is $11.99 with coupon code 12325378, expires Sunday. They can enter the code at the register.
I discovered today that a lady at my local HF remembers my address and knows me as "Whiskers". :tinfoil: