Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm rereading Part 4 and I really want to see the start of Cheap Trick animated like yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
So, here's what bugs me the most about Part 6.

When things reset, we get the knock off versions of the people who died before the reset and everyone else slots into place. That's cool, I follow that. Everyone has slightly different experiences as well, since they're technically new peeps. How does that work back for the big events? Does Joseph still send Kars into space, but differently? Does Itaro still punch down DIO, or does he slay the fiend RON JAMES? Does he never have to deal with it in the first place?

It just muddies the whole experience for me. If it's "none of that happened, Irene and her familial line live happy lives free of dumb Stand poo poo," that's awesome. If it's "Itaro still punches DIO, but fate has been reworked slightly and now things can progress free of dumb dudes like Pucci," that's cool. I just need to know which one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Von Humboldt posted:

When things reset, we get the knock off versions of the people who died before the reset and everyone else slots into place. That's cool, I follow that. Everyone has slightly different experiences as well, since they're technically new peeps. How does that work back for the big events? Does Joseph still send Kars into space, but differently? Does Itaro still punch down DIO, or does he slay the fiend RON JAMES? Does he never have to deal with it in the first place?

It just muddies the whole experience for me. If it's "none of that happened, Irene and her familial line live happy lives free of dumb Stand poo poo," that's awesome. If it's "Itaro still punches DIO, but fate has been reworked slightly and now things can progress free of dumb dudes like Pucci," that's cool. I just need to know which one.

I see you dislike passing through the borders of things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What I like* about this is that there's a good 200% chance that she suffered a terrible end.

*actually the opposite of this.

RIP Lisa Lisa Nijimura Nijimura

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Jotaro beats Kakyoin with punching, beats Dark Blue Moon and Strength with Star Finger, Yellow Temperance he has to use the water, beats Wheel of Fortune just with punching, beats justice with his never used before or again super breathing, beats The Sun by throwing a rock (though that was a dumb joke fight the whole time), beats High Priestess by punching really hard, N'doul is neat because he throws Iggy and all that, beats Anubis by punching the sword (and then Iggy kicks it into the river), beats Alessi with punching (but as a kid!), beats old D'arby by just being so cool that he bluffs him out (yeah I know, blah blah blah, D'Arby thought Jotaro could also stop time), didn't actually beat young D'arby, and then beat Dio by pulling time stop out of his rear end.

That makes 7 non-joke (so not counting Alessi and The Sun) fights where Jotaro wins by punch or rear end-pull, and then 5 at most (I'm being generous and putting Dio and old D'arby in here) where he wins by being smart and using the environment/his opponent's hubris against them.
Dark Blue Moon and Strength are unfairly maligned by their association with Star Finger, though the latter is still probably the weakest fight of Part 3. In Dark Blue Moon Jotaro first tricks the fake Captain Tennille into revealing himself, then after getting pulled overboard decides to shore up his strength (instead of exhausting himself by fighting the whirlpool) to deliver a single, decisive blow. Later when Strength has them dead to rights, he deliberately provokes Forever's wrath in order to drive him into an easily predictable rage, then flings a loose button at him at high velocity. Neither of Jotaro's finishing moves in either case are outside his established skill set, people just miss the forest for the trees since he slapped them with a special attack calling card, and both are preceded by him outsmarting his opponents to force them into a corner. Though both encounters are short and short-lived, it's not really fair to reduce them to their finishing blows when those blows were preceded by more interesting turns.

(As a side note, I also find these fights, along with the ones that precede them, interesting as a period piece since you have Araki trying out the idea of signature moves and calling your attacks before he decides to nix them and just focus on giving people weird powers.)

Wheel of Fortune is a fair cop, as is Justice (as much as I like it). The Sun is a joke fight, as you pointed out, so I'm fine with how it resolves.

The High Priestess is a bit of a borderline case, though for reasons that admittedly do it no favors. While Jotaro does effectively punch his way to victory with minimal fuss, he's aided by his opponent making a tactical error, making themselves too big of a target. There wasn't much Jotaro could do back when they were small and jumping in and out of various forms, but once they turned big it was game over. It's not a great resolution, but I still enjoy it as the last of the horror film stands and, just in general, for reinforcing the idea that it's not what you've got but how you use it when it comes to stands.

Anubis I'd say is a legit victory for Jotaro. Up against an opponent he can't hope to match in power or speed, he allows himself to get wounded to trap the sword's movements. Saying he just wins by throwing a punch kinda undersells it as one of the few moments in the series where Jotaro is actually outmatched and in serious danger, and he ends up winning by reaching for something outside the box and letting himself get injured, even putting on a show of being hurt worse than he actually is in order to get results.

Alessi was effectively already beaten by the time he runs across Jotaro, that bit at the end was just a little bit more karmic retribution for the road. Alessi is an utterly loathsome excuse for a human being, so seeing him get trashed by kid Jotaro rules.

Finally, I don't feel like Jotaro having similar abilities to the World comes out of nowhere, though it is highly plot-convenient. Star Platinum's speed and precision is one of the first things stressed (and repeatedly emphasized) about it, eventually leading to the fight with D'Arby the Gambler where Jotaro, yes, conjures up the idea in D'Arby's mind that he too might be able to stop time. Although the anime reorders the sequence of events a bit, in the manga it's confirmed by that point that Araki knew what he wanted Dio's power to be, so I have no trouble believing D'Arby the Gambler was intended as foreshadowing.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Finally, I don't feel like Jotaro having similar abilities to the World comes out of nowhere, though it is highly plot-convenient. Star Platinum's speed and precision is one of the first things stressed (and repeatedly emphasized) about it, eventually leading to the fight with D'Arby the Gambler where Jotaro, yes, conjures up the idea in D'Arby's mind that he too might be able to stop time. Although the anime reorders the sequence of events a bit, in the manga it's confirmed by that point that Araki knew what he wanted Dio's power to be, so I have no trouble believing D'Arby the Gambler was intended as foreshadowing.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting you here, but I never got the argument that Star Platinum being fast and precise was indicative of, thematically related to, or foreshadowing its ability to stop time.

The World doesn't move really fast in stopped time, he freezes the world around him. Kakyoin's whole net is destroyed simultaneously for everyone but DIO.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Roach Warehouse posted:

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting you here, but I never got the argument that Star Platinum being fast and precise was indicative of, thematically related to, or foreshadowing its ability to stop time.

The World doesn't move really fast in stopped time, he freezes the world around him. Kakyoin's whole net is destroyed simultaneously for everyone but DIO.

Being able to stop time for 10 seconds is basically just being able to move faster than time for about ten "seconds" relative to you, is how most people get to that conclusion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is not the same even slightly

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I like the Wheel of Fortune fight because of the fourth wall breaking

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the wheel of fortune fight because I like when araki really enjoys something and just wants to share whatever he just learned about with everyone else, and it was obvious that he had just seen both duel and christine

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Sure, but even before the time stop is revealed, The World is established as a fast, precise close range punch ghost stand like Star Platinum. Aside from the time stop they are shown to be virtually identical in every other respect from the moment The World appears.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The World is cuter and cooler though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Partial Part 4 DIO!

Akira retains his game VA

Episode ends before Koichi's echoes ends on some filler. The best filler ever.
Last canon scene is Jotaro on the phone to Akira.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 29, 2016

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No Tanami this episode. So I wonder if there will be more than 39 episodes after all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Next episode is Echoes. 1 episode only.

The filler scene:
Okuyasu knocks on Josuke's house looking all classic happy Oku, says yo let's go to school*, Josuke's mom sees him and invites him in for coffee*, he says whoa really* and then tells Josuke she's hot.

* = I'm not certain. I'm 100% certain about the hot bit

I love him.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 29, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Von Humboldt posted:

From what I assumed, absolutely none of those events happened at all. It's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure without the Bizarre. Or the Jojo. Maybe the Adventure part though.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If I had to guess, Season 1 will be

Episode 6: Echoes
Episode 7: Surface, Part 1
Episode 8: Surface, Part 2
Episode 9: Yukako, Part 1
Episode 10: Yukako, Part 2
Episode 11: Italian Food
Episode 12: RHCP, Part 1
Episode 13: RHCP, Part 2

Then we'll get an OP/ED change for the next 13 episodes?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're not getting 3 ops and eds

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That probably would be a bit too much, but if it's 39 episodes, I'm not sure how they'll split it otherwise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be hedging my bets on a final cour coming after the 39 honestly. They didn't announce Egypt-hen initially either, though it was more apparent that they're not doing SDC in 24 episodes than DiU in 39.

If there's OP/ED changes, it'll probably be once after Kira escapes as Kawajiri.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What if they never add in Echoes and Koichi just does that pose alone the whole time?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Killer Queen probably could have been able to kill Nijimura dad.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The finale will be a theatrical movie

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The filler scene:
Okuyasu knocks on Josuke's house looking all classic happy Oku, says yo let's go to school*, Josuke's mom sees him and invites him in for coffee*, he says whoa really* and then tells Josuke she's hot.

* = I'm not certain. I'm 100% certain about the hot bit

I love him.

You remember who else really wanted to gently caress JoJo's mum? Finally, we have an heir to his legacy ...

El Burbo posted:

I'd always thought that was a deliberate bit of dramatic irony, that there was someone in Morioh all along who'd have been able to do the deed whilst Keicho was out there shooting people to find it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The finale will be a theatrical movie

As much as I don't want that because it would take forever to actually come out in good quality and subbed, I would be stupidly hype if I saw JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Crazy Diamond is Unbreakable as a movie title.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

El Burbo posted:

I don't think so. Keicho has seemingly tried all kinds of things (including shredding him to pieces apparently) and he hasn't died from that. All Kira can do is blow him up a bunch.

What I wonder is, if he's like this from Dio's buds, shouldn't he just burn up in the sun?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kira's first bomb destroys a person on a molecular level though, to the point where evidence can't be found. There ought to be nothing to recover from if he used Bomb #1. It's worth nothing that SHA, BTD and blowing up Stray Cat's bubbles are all functionally different to Bomb 1 and it's ability to destroy someone entirely.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the egg didn't show up in the op

adaption ruined

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

David animate the egg.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't wait to see Hamada Masatoshi get beaten up by Gohan next week.

Also can't believe that this episode was so good that WHO IN FACE ARE YOU gets overshadowed.
Also the Okuyasu scene at the end is sort of david fleshing out a transitional page or two, it gets the same facts about Keicho's burial over and Josuke being a bit wary about Oku hanging with him initially over while not just being environment panels, so I guess it's not 100% made up for the anime in that sense.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 29, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I had to guess, Season 1 will be

Episode 6: Echoes
Episode 7: Surface, Part 1
Episode 8: Surface, Part 2
Episode 9: Yukako, Part 1
Episode 10: Yukako, Part 2
Episode 11: Italian Food
Episode 12: RHCP, Part 1
Episode 13: RHCP, Part 2

Then we'll get an OP/ED change for the next 13 episodes?

Come on... if echoes is one episode there's no way surface is going to be two

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We're like 50% into Echoes 1 right now out of 5 chapters. Surface is 5 chapters too.

I can see Echoes going into a second episode (the one after is definitely not called Echoes though) and its end connects really well with the start of Surface (Hazamada tells Josuke/Oku about Toshikazu the day after Echoes. If they both clock in at 1.5 episodes each, it would probably work out similar to how that layout is.

Yukako is just as long as the Niji bros chapter though so 2 might be a stretch.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

El Burbo posted:

I always thought it was weird that they never tried taking dad to Go Eat Italian Food.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This is a good frame.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I always thought it was weird that they never tried taking dad to Go Eat Italian Food.

The obvious answer is that they did that offscreen and it didn't accomplish anything.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

His dad isn't sick or injured, especially since he can regenerate to fix anything that DOES go wrong with him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, the line in this episode where Keicho says he found out "about Jotaro" at around the same time he learned about the Arrow, etc. explains how everybody knows Jotaro can stop time: Keicho told them. It doesn't explain how Keicho found out, though. (If more Jojo LNs get written, I hope one of them fills in the gaps in Keicho's backstory. It wouldn't be "canon," but it would be an interesting exercise, much as Over Heaven synthesizes Dio's somewhat contradictory characterization in the different parts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

What if they never add in Echoes and Koichi just does that pose alone the whole time?

Don't say that. Don't even think it. :ohdear: