Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Size of bosses is also not really lore based.

You don't think Wolnir was a 70 foot tall man before he fell into the abyss, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd like to know what the trigger for Siegward showing up in the well is. I've done the first part of his quest and then gone straight to the Cathedral only for the well to be empty, so I assume there has to be another obtuse step.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You don't think Wolnir was a 70 foot tall man before he fell into the abyss, do you?

That's not a good example given the fight with Wolnir is a magic hallucination brought on by your idiot habit of trying to destroy every prop in the dungeon.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it's very well established that skeletons do not follow any laws

not those of life/death, sovereign nations nor even the very basic concepts of physics themselves

all skeletons are wild outlaws living on the edge

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Huh looking back I don't see any mention of him being a giant in any description. I guess I just assumed he had to be one given he towers over the actual, literal giants guarding the place.

You mean the animated armors? They're big but I don't think they're actual Giants. They don't compare to the Blacksmith or Gough at all, or even the Giants you run into in DS2 and DS3.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to know what the trigger for Siegward showing up in the well is. I've done the first part of his quest and then gone straight to the Cathedral only for the well to be empty, so I assume there has to be another obtuse step.

That's not a good example given the fight with Wolnir is a magic hallucination brought on by your idiot habit of trying to destroy every prop in the dungeon.

opening the door that serves no purpose, upstairs, across from rosaria's lever that raises the walkway. You don't have to go to rosaria, but if you were there, and you pulled the lever, and you crossed the bridge, and you opened that door, just pushed open that door and started getting cut up by some dumb awful grave wardens, that is what puts sieg in the well. Exactly that door.

I hate that door but that's what does it. Once you get that far you will literally never need that shortcut. It's pretty awful as shortcuts go.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

il serpente cosmico posted:

I think the Twin Princes has been my favorite boss fight thus far. Great mood to it, challenging, and unique. Took my a half dozen tries or so, and I was super relieved to finally take them down.

OTOH, it feels great to be rid of a shield and dodge roll through the entire game. I never knew what I was missing tanking through the first three souls games.

Yeah Twin Princes is a way better execution - both gameplay and mood - of the Throne Watchers gimmick.

Harrow posted:

This game needs poise. Real tired of getting hit once always meaning getting hit twice.

I'd like to see a buff to Perseverance lasting 10 seconds so then maces have an attractive niche and there is a drawback (range, damage) for ignoring attacks in order to trade. Which, honestly, is what I think they were going for, it's just that perseverance doesn't last anywhere long enough to be worth a drat.

Also it's now looking like equip load might affect hyper armor as well as roll recovery which is how people seemed to be poising through attacks. In practice it winds up being mostly the same (heavy armor lets you trade more easily) but it's kinda weird. On the other hand, if it is true, it's a big buff to fashion souls, so hooray.

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 30, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I think it's opening the doors to the Cathedral that lead to the graveyard.

Speaking of which, this game's subtitle should be "Does Not Open From This Side Edition"

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Standard RPG rules. The more powerful they are, they bigger they are. Wolnir is super powerful but he decided to but all his weakpoints on his wrists lmao

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

To those invading/dueling at the 60-80 range, do you find that you get more hits with your highest weapon at +4 or something more like +6 or higher?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Wolnir would have been a way more fun fight if he'd had more bracelets IMO

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to go through the catherdral a bit until you open the big blue doors that leads back out to the graveyard area I think

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Like I want to upgrade but I don't want to get hosed out of PVP

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

You mean the animated armors? They're big but I don't think they're actual Giants. They don't compare to the Blacksmith or Gough at all, or even the Giants you run into in DS2 and DS3.

Are they actually animated armours? I thought when you kill the Gwynever illusion they abandon their post while the silver knights do not, implying that they were actual soldiers rather than mindless guards.

It just seems weird for their set to be called the giant set if they aren't actually, you know, giants.

Krinkle posted:

opening the door that serves no purpose, upstairs, across from rosaria's lever that raises the walkway. You don't have to go to rosaria, but if you were there, and you pulled the lever, and you crossed the bridge, and you opened that door, just pushed open that door and started getting cut up by some dumb awful grave wardens, that is what puts sieg in the well. Exactly that door.

I hate that door but that's what does it. Once you get that far you will literally never need that shortcut. It's pretty awful as shortcuts go.

Well that's asinine. It sucks that the Cathedral is such a cool area but the entire quest with Siegward in it is such a mess.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Krinkle posted:

Well I mean if you didn't find Rosaria and you somehow died to the Deacons it's... maybe a bit faster than taking the last shortcut unlocked, especially if you didn't kill the giant.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Am I missing something about the Luck build? The current speedrun is a rush to Anri's Straight Sword, but I'm having real trouble in just the first area as a Thief. I can't even beat the Sword Master.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
can't believe i'm getting owned by a guy who crawls on his hands and knees and a guy getting a piggy back ride from a guy who crawls on his hands and knees

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HellCopter posted:

Am I missing something about the Luck build? The current speedrun is a rush to Anri's Straight Sword, but I'm having real trouble in just the first area as a Thief. I can't even beat the Sword Master.
Jump off the tree-root, get behind him on the path with the crystal lizard and shoot him again and again in the head where he can't reach you.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Every build is pretty much the same in the first area so you can just chuck on the deep battle axe that doesn't care about scaling and plow through everything until well into the undead settlement. That should get you to Anri to get your luck scaling sword, or at least let you kill the swordmaster for your uchi.

Has anyone done any testing on parry frames? The katana weapon art parry feels much easier to land reliably, which makes sense given it's high risk and high cost (comparatively), but I can't tell if it's better than the small shield parry or not.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Empty your stamina bar on him and then roll away. He'll bleed on the last hit. Bleed him 4 times and he'll be dead. He has no poise so you just need to hit before he does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hampig posted:

Has anyone done any testing on parry frames? The katana weapon art parry feels much easier to land reliably, which makes sense given it's high risk and high cost (comparatively), but I can't tell if it's better than the small shield parry or not.

As far as can be told, parry frames begin as soon as the stamina drain occurs on your bar. I suspect that small parrying shields (Buckler, Target Shield, and Small Leather Shield) have more parry frames, as they did before, though I'm not sure how many. The katana parry, the Caestus, and the Parrying Dagger all appear to have almost no startup frames, making them good for parrying very fast weapons like the Estoc or the Dark Sword.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I beat Nameless King.

NK himself is a great fight, really tough but you can get the rhythm down. Having to fight the dragon each time is total bullshit, though. It should start you right at NK himself once you kill the dragon once.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Okay, I beat Nameless King.

NK himself is a great fight, really tough but you can get the rhythm down. Having to fight the dragon each time is total bullshit, though. It should start you right at NK himself once you kill the dragon once.

The dragon's very boring once you get the rhythm down, yes. Most of the time I was just sitting around waiting for him to stick his fat neck out enough so that I could get in maybe two or three hits in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Weirdly enough, there's no real reason to start as a Thief for a Luck build unless you're only leveling Luck. Once you factor in Vigor, Endurance, Vitality, and probably some Dexterity (because the best weapons to make Hollow will still scale some with Dex), Knight works out to be more level-efficient.

So if you're not having fun as a Thief there's no reason not to start as a Knight instead. Or Assassin, that's almost as good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Internet Kraken posted:

Are they actually animated armours? I thought when you kill the Gwynever illusion they abandon their post while the silver knights do not, implying that they were actual soldiers rather than mindless guards.

It just seems weird for their set to be called the giant set if they aren't actually, you know, giants.

Yeah I assumed they were giants because the armor and weapons they dropped were literally called "giant's _____". Giants can be wildly different sizes, after all, the ones in the Cathedral dwarf the blacksmith and he's bigger than Gough.

But also the fact that they disappear when the illusion is broken indicates that they were... illusions. I mean if the Ornstein you fight is an illusion, surely Gwyndolin can cook up some false giant guardians too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Weirdly enough, there's no real reason to start as a Thief for a Luck build unless you're only leveling Luck. Once you factor in Vigor, Endurance, Vitality, and probably some Dexterity (because the best weapons to make Hollow will still scale some with Dex), Knight works out to be more level-efficient.

It seems like Knight is the best class for nearly every build

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

net cafe scandal posted:

To those invading/dueling at the 60-80 range, do you find that you get more hits with your highest weapon at +4 or something more like +6 or higher?

Since nobody responded to you I'll respond to you. I always aim for a +6 weapon for that level range (usually in Anor Londo at that point) because I always get tons of hits. By far Aldritch's covenant is probably the easiest one to rank up in the whole game right now just because of how packed that zone is and all you have to do is get through the worst encounter in the game, two Watchdogs of the Old Lords.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

It is. Assassin is the only other option if you want to speedrun the game, but Knight has the best stat balance by far, and the majority of the starting items for the other classes can be obtained relatively painlessly within the first hour or two of play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Begemot posted:

Yeah I assumed they were giants because the armor and weapons they dropped were literally called "giant's _____". Giants can be wildly different sizes, after all, the ones in the Cathedral dwarf the blacksmith and he's bigger than Gough.

But also the fact that they disappear when the illusion is broken indicates that they were... illusions. I mean if the Ornstein you fight is an illusion, surely Gwyndolin can cook up some false giant guardians too.
Presumably in the souls games "the giants" does not refer to one race. There are, as far as we know, at least 3 races of giant people running around: The big motherfuckers with goatse faces from Dark Souls 2, whatever Yhorm is (distinct in that he has a face), and the smallest being only slightly bigger than humans, that being whatever Gwyn's buddies and generally that generation of human-like creatures are. Even basic silver/black knights are taller than you and it's not just because of the armor because you're still shorter when you put it on, so most of the human-looking things you fight probably aren't human in the first place.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 30, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brannock posted:

Builds that aren't going to go into magic of any kind skew more towards Warrior but yeah, basically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brannock posted:

The only time it isn't is if you aren't leveling Attunement and you're going for a pure physical build. Then, Warrior wins out sometimes. But if you're leveling Attunement really at all (or just, y'know, want 10 of it) or if you're planning on doing any magic build that isn't 100% pure mage, Knight is the best start.

Incidentally, this even includes an MLGS build. 16 Strength to wield the MLGS is apparently enough of a difference to make Knight a better start than Sorcerer, even if you go to 60 Intelligence.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lore question for you all:

It has been suggested that the world of DSIII is actually not a declining age of fire, but instead actually the age of dark alluded to in the lore of the first two games. The world does look distinctly different from the previous ages of fire, and it would explain why DSII says that even the age of dark has embers that can reignite into a new age of fire.

My pet, wild theory wild speculation is that The doofus you play as in DS2 actually did succeed and wished away the undead curse proper when (s)he sat the throne and dreamed for a cure. This is super, duper bad because there's no endless supply of undead anymore to throw themselves at the kiln and keep the fire on potentially endless life support. DS3 is the last ditch effort where bells on the cusp of a dark age ring to awaken past and potential lords of cinder, aka special unkindled undead, for another shot at prolonging fire. For that reason you have dudes like Creighton running around with old timers like Kirk and Andre since the bells have been waking up seemingly random-rear end dudes. Conversely. seemingly regular-hollow pilgrims from Londor drop like flies. Doesn't explain why the Shrine Maid seems so persistent though, across both firelinks.

Won't have all the information for a better guess until all the DLC gets dropped :(.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What in hell killed the Giant at the top of the Undead Settlement tower for me? I sure didn't, but I got a Hawk Ring from him.

I also really shouldn't have started with sorcery. At lvl 33, the Abyss Watchers can kill me in one fire-charged combo because my points are spread into pretty much everything, and I don't want to add more because I don't want to outlevel the Farron covenant that I still haven't gotten a single hit for.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

What in hell killed the Giant at the top of the Undead Settlement tower for me? I sure didn't, but I got a Hawk Ring from him.

He passes away after you collect all of the Young White Branches from the various trees scattered around the world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Dragonslayer Swordspear is an incredibly good weapon. I'm honestly kind of surprised how good this thing is. I expected it to have a good moveset and weapon art but slightly lackluster damage thanks to split damage, but no. No, this thing owns really hard.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

All the spears and halberds seem really bad outside of some of the twinkling/scale weapons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the halberd is like the least threatening pvp weapon

its just got some like, weak-rear end animations or something. it might be good, it might not be, but it looks wimpy

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ravenfood posted:

I also really shouldn't have started with sorcery. At lvl 33, the Abyss Watchers can kill me in one fire-charged combo because my points are spread into pretty much everything, and I don't want to add more because I don't want to outlevel the Farron covenant that I still haven't gotten a single hit for.

He dies when you collect all the white branches from all the trees that he was protecting.

His job is done :unsmith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he also dies when you stab him a bunch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Einwand posted:

All the spears and halberds seem really bad outside of some of the twinkling/scale weapons.

Apparently the Red Hilted Halberd is pretty good thanks to Perseverance being the only time poise does anything. And yeah, the boss or twinkling halberds own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I beat everything in this game but the final boss with a lothric long spear, and good lord the difference between a garbage spear and a real weapon like Gundyr's halberd, Black Knight's Glaive or a Dragonslayer's Spear is huge.