Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah... that one's... yeah. gently caress everyone who says he's easy or overhyped, just gently caress those people. Anyway circle strafe right and dodge right and up? Kind of into his arm. You should be able to dodge his basic swings easily and get a hit in, although watch out for follow ups because he's got like three with very different timings and directions.

When he zips around... I dunno it's hard to explain how to dodge. When he goes up, that's easy, just dodge towards him and he'll overshoot.

I find his second stage easier, because he'll start doing the lightning attacks that have big windups and are easy to dodge, so you can get a bunch of hits in, and maybe even stagger him for a visceral, which in turn means you get a free charged R2 as he stands.

There's the Spirit tree crest shield in Lothric Castle that has 100% phys and 83% lightning resist, so that with a thunder stone plate can be a nice safety net, but I find dodging to be better.

I Visceraled him twice in one fight on my NG+ run. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't know if it's completely accurate to say that perseverance is the only time poise does anything, since perseverance still works the same no matter what your poise is, as far as I'm aware

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Decided to invade in farrons for shits cause I was bored, Interestingly I got in instantly with a red eye orb, when I had watchdongs on for a few hours previous with no hits :v:

Also invading in farrons loving blows

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
With this game being such a love letter to the series, I'm shocked there's not a gargoyle battle where you fight thirty of them or something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
jfc I have been sitting here for well over an hour with bluecop on, using headphones so I can hear if I get summoned while reading the forums.

I haven't been summoned. L31, max upgrade 2. gently caress you, From.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Gologle posted:

Since nobody responded to you I'll respond to you. I always aim for a +6 weapon for that level range (usually in Anor Londo at that point) because I always get tons of hits. By far Aldritch's covenant is probably the easiest one to rank up in the whole game right now just because of how packed that zone is and all you have to do is get through the worst encounter in the game, two Watchdogs of the Old Lords.

Thank you. Its nice actually that the game gives pretty clear indicators what the "intended" weapon level for an area is, by shoving a certain type of titanite down your throat. Like by Lothric Castle you get large shards dropping with every enemy as if the game saying Go! Upgrade! Now! You're a grown rear end man!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

With this game being such a love letter to the series, I'm shocked there's not a gargoyle battle where you fight thirty of them or something.

Is there at least a gargoyle halberd? That was my favourite playthrough of DS1

pech
Jul 19, 2004

I get invaded all the time and I hardly summon people. I don't use dried finger either. A lot of the time it's when I light the bonfire in a new area. Does that put you at the top of a Pvp queue or something?

I don't mind though it's fun and challenging

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

we smell fresh meat

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Nasgate posted:

Is there at least a gargoyle halberd? That was my favourite playthrough of DS1

There's a spear and hammer, both of which are awful far as I'm aware.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

My theory is that whatevers getting me summoend for Blues and Watchdogs is also getting me solo invaded multiple times in every level. That is, the grace of my God -- a honest holy covenant with the one true Lord.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
How doesn't this loving game have Steam Cloud integration? I'm on a week-long vacation with my laptop but no DS3 save.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

My theory is that whatevers getting me summoend for Blues and Watchdogs is also getting me solo invaded multiple times in every level. That is, the grace of my God -- a honest holy covenant with the one true Lord.

checkmate athiests

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Also Interesting to note, I've never gotten invaded in any of the trespassing areas either, Kinda stinks :11tea:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm constantly getting Aldritch'd

And they're constantly getting greatarrows and then a brief sensation of falling

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do you think when invaders invaded during the abyss watchers' journey to link the fire, they got mad that there was always 15 people versus them when they invaded in

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not only that but every single person was wearing the abyss watchers outfit, it's like come on dudes have you no style or originality

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i donated two hours of afk time using a hyper advanced hiding place in the cathedral to provide a playground for reds and bluecops alike and let me tell you in NG+ that poo poo starts to pay surprisingly well

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one of these days I just want to find a sick hiding spot, chameleon up, turn my stream recording on, and let it run overnight

knowing my luck they would stumble into me in the first ten minutes on accident and then it would be 7 hours of me standing at a bonfire lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This time through the game I decided to save Anri, and now Yuria is refusing to talk to me.... but I already bought all the stuff I wanted from her :c00l:

I think I might miss out on a sword or something because of this but I don't mind since even though it's only a cosmetic thing it'll be nice not to be hollowed anymore.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
twin princes was a really fun boss battle solo and coop

nameless king though, holy crap, he has to be the hardest boss in the game. the camera is your worst enemy in the first phase and his second phase destroys me, he's so fast you barely have enough time to drink estus

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I finally did the Sirris quest line and man, being hollow is where it's at. Hodrick is way better than Sirris, he hits like a truck and has a million HP. The first time I tried he comically killed her almost immediately with a parry and riposte.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I finally did the Sirris quest line and man, being hollow is where it's at. Hodrick is way better than Sirris, he hits like a truck and has a million HP. The first time I tried he comically killed her almost immediately with a parry and riposte.

I respect Hodrick's taste in swords. But then I'm biased, I think the flamberge looks sweet even though I'm not running a bleed build (Not that such a slow weapon is good for triggering bleeds :v:)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hackan Slash posted:

They're saving the 100 gargoyle deathmarch boss fight for the DLC. Just you, one incredibly long bridge, and 100 gargoyles.

Also, unrelated to the above, I've been testing out the Morion sword with the Red Tearstone Ring. I feel dirty for using a straight sword, but it's really quite effective. It's absolutely brutal once you end up in tearstone range. You can absolutely R1 someone down in one combo without any chance to get away and Estus.

My current setup is kind of weird. Old Wolf Curved Sword in my left hand and the Morion sword in my right. I'm irritated I lose the r1 attack for a useless block and that I get no weapon art at all when I do this, but the L2, at least, provides a different speed of attack to help mess with parriers. Plus, I can two-hand either of the swords and still gain the passive benefits of the other.

I'm rather fond of the weapon art for the wolf sword. It's fun.

Edit: Regarding the Nameless King, his gap closers are all generally super punishable, specially the one where he jumps into the air and hovers for a good 3 or so second. It can be tricky to get to the appropriate range, but I found the most effective strategy was to just keep baiting those attacks out. Once he hits 50% HP, he starts being dumb and leaving himself super open with his two new attacks.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 30, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I just entered Boreal Valley and there's a sign that says I need a doll for admittance. How important is that?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Jewel Repetition posted:

I just entered Boreal Valley and there's a sign that says I need a doll for admittance. How important is that?

Mandatory. Have fun finding it!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jewel Repetition posted:

it's the 'did you play bloodborne' check

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jewel Repetition posted:

Vitally. As in you need it to get in there.

Have fun with the dog.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gently caress, where do I get it? The girl cosplaying Oscar mentioned finding a doll but I never did.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait nevermind I have it in my inventory and just didn't notice.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Anyone tried http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Brigand+Twindaggers these?

Apparently they get the highest bleed proc rate in the game if you blood infuse it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jewel Repetition posted:

gently caress, where do I get it? The girl cosplaying Oscar mentioned finding a doll but I never did.

You got it from the Cathedral boss

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Have people worked out a sweetspot for zone and level range to try and maybe actually get 30 blue sentinel/blade of darmoon tokens?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

His armour looks awesome too, it's a bit harder to mix and match with than some sets due to the colour but the helmet just oozes style.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Apparently they get the highest bleed proc rate in the game if you blood infuse it.

They're also like 2 inches long so you can't actually hit anything with them.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

net cafe scandal posted:

To those invading/dueling at the 60-80 range, do you find that you get more hits with your highest weapon at +4 or something more like +6 or higher?

In that range with weapons between +6 and +8 you'll constantly invade if you're in the Aldrich covenant, +4 is probably holding you back in that range

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LibbyM posted:

Have people worked out a sweetspot for zone and level range to try and maybe actually get 30 blue sentinel/blade of darmoon tokens?

However many levels it takes to get Luck to 99 and farm them off Silver Knights :smith:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Started a new character to do the Dancer glitch.
I forgot how absolutely infuriating the sword master is. Especially when you don't start with an estoc to spam him back. Why the gently caress does he have so much health? I parry him for like 300 damage, and it does like a 5th of his health bar. Maybe. He parries me, it's an instant kill. :darksouls:
I know you can kick him off the edge, but I've always been loving terrible at the timing for the kick. I wasn't even able to kill him on this character. I ran over to grab my souls, then went back to the shop to see if I could buy a shield with actual decent parry frames. Halfway to the handmaiden, I get 2000 souls because he died. Somehow. I've no loving idea how, considering his AI seems to be able to navigate the cliff just fine when he was trying to kill me.
Basically, gently caress that NPC so hard. His sole redeeming factor is the drat exploit, and that'll probably be patched eventually.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

yeah, I have them blood-infused and up to +8

they're extremely hard to use, though, but they do as advertised if and when you're able to hit the other person(s)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It would be pretty... pretty good, if you could get a Silver Knight Sword with that lightning buff they have going on

hello.