Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The real reason why Ron said no to Honda providing engines to Red Bull is because he didn't want to get beat by another team with the same engine because it'd show how much of a fraud McLaren are as a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

The real reason why Ron said no to Honda providing engines to Red Bull is because he didn't want to get beat by another team with the same engine because it'd show how much of a fraud McLaren are as a team.

I'd put my money behind a redbull chassis if they were rocking the same power unit.

gently caress Redbull

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Do you count Renault supplying itself as well as Red Bull? If so, then it's Renault - 2, Honda - 2 (assuming the Sauber connection). If the purpose of the rule is to prevent what happened to Red Bull from happening to another team, then you would think that the rules would be there to force Honda to supply Red Bull with an engine. Since Red bull wanted out of Renault, and everyone else said no.

I do but if Red Bull say "we can't find an engine" then Renault is technically only supplying itself where as Honda would "theoretically" be supplying Sauber and Mclaren.

edit: I should also say that knowing Bernie I highly doubt it is going to be as straight forward as "supplier supplying the least number of teams has to provide an engine" and there's probably going to be some complex mechanism that lets red bull get a Merc engine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 29, 2016

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it mandatory that someone has to supply an engine? Wouldn't it be simpler if not being able to secure an engine meant you weren't going racing?

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

amenenema posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it mandatory that someone has to supply an engine? Wouldn't it be simpler if not being able to secure an engine meant you weren't going racing?

If anything's gonna be the ruin of F1 it's the idea that not only are at least two teams financially on the bubble this year, if another is in peril because they aren't a works team and complained too much about getting an underpowered engine Bernie's gonna be hung at dawn before he gets a chance to die with a legacy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

red bull was never ever ever in danger of actually not having an engine, ever

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

DaveP posted:

If anything's gonna be the ruin of F1 it's the idea that not only are at least two teams financially on the bubble this year, if another is in peril because they aren't a works team and complained too much about getting an underpowered engine Bernie's gonna be hung at dawn before he gets a chance to die with a legacy.

There is a rule that if there are less than x number of teams on the grid, then FOM control goes to CVC instead of Bernie.

And if Red Bull can't find an engine and can't go racing, then Torro Rosso can't go either.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No team aside from like Sauber or Manor is in any real danger of not finding an engine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Naw, teams in receivership and real financial trouble have never had problems finding engines, in recent years see; Lotus and Manor. The engines are the property of the manufacturer so they get them, plus equipment and data back if it all goes south, and send lawyers in for any money owed.

I'd imagine at this point that Force India/Manor/Sauber all have it written into their contracts that if they don't pay up then money owed is taken out of prize money by bernie and goes directly to the manufacturer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

when was the last time anyone really struggled to find an engine supply?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

be nice wicka posted:

Insert McLaren Honda joke here

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

I mean the whole thing with Toleman in '85 is probably the closest you could get where suppliers outright refused to take money from a team, the issue with Red Bull was that they (quite correctly) wanted a works engine. Where things fell apart was that they actually thought they would get one, regardless of whether or not they spent the past year slagging off their current one (although that didn't help).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean the whole thing with Toleman in '85 is probably the closest you could get where suppliers outright refused to take money from a team, the issue with Red Bull was that they (quite correctly) wanted a works engine. Where things fell apart was that they actually thought they would get one, regardless of whether or not they spent the past year slagging off their current one (although that didn't help).

Toleman was retarded because the TG185 was actually a really good car.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm so sick of hearing Ted talking about the engineers wearing their "marigold gloves"

Marigold is not a loving color you toothless English autist. You feel fancy not using the normal and accepted word "yellow" do you?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Marigold is a shade of yellow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Toleman was retarded because the TG185 was actually a really good car.

They're the archetypal "do not gently caress around with your suppliers" story

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm so sick of hearing Ted talking about the engineers wearing their "marigold gloves"

Marigold is not a loving color you toothless English autist. You feel fancy not using the normal and accepted word "yellow" do you?

He was calling the red rubber gloves the Ferrari mechanics were wearing marigolds too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are autists obsessed with marigolds like they are with anime?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Are autists obsessed with marigolds like they are with anime?

lets find out

yep

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They're a well known brand of kitchen rubber gloves over here you American morons

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marigold-Extra-Kitchen-Glove-Medium/dp/B00D36WODY

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've really gone off Ted. His info can be pretty good but the forced in-jokes are lame.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Skarsnik posted:

They're a well known brand of kitchen rubber gloves over here you American morons

This is great.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
They make industrial gloves as well, so the pit crews could actually be using Marigolds.

Ted 1 - Internet Pedants 0.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dubs posted:

lets find out

yep

lmao

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Skarsnik posted:

Lol pwned.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whenever I see Rachel Brookes on Sky's coverage I always wonder why I don't see more of Rachel Brookes. Same with Craig Slater, both of them have been doing the sky sports news F1 stuff for years, and I remember her in the Natalie role back in the ITV days. Both can present and do interviews, and neither of them feel the need to joke around or give us their terrible opinions. :\

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Christ that Renault sounds unhealthy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That force India sounds worse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FP3 was a clear Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull/Williams, everyone else. Track is green and there are no support races, they all still kept running really wide and nearly binning it really slowly into the wall. Looks like any engine problems are fixed.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lauda decided to cut back on his German TV commitments so they got a replacement: The world's fastest Irishman, Tim O'Glock.

No, I don't know why they couldn't get a German for that job either.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

FYI, the token system is officially dead (among other changes for 2017-18): http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/4/fia-confirms-revised-engine-regulations-for-2017.html

wish they would've gone into more detail about the "guarantee" of engine supply. i hope it's a solution that doesn't give horner what he wants.

They should simply do what CART did way back in the day.

Any engine manufacturer in the series commits to providing engines for (Number of Teams / Number of Engine suppliers) +1 teams.

learnincurve posted:

Even if Honda do suddenly get it together, Ron will have so many clauses in the contract that they will just shovel the broken bits from 2015 into a skip and dump it outside the Red Bull factory in Milton Keynes.

Well you handle this by mandating "Start of current year" units at minimum.

In the past series have literally mandated putting all the units out and teams taking turns to pick.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would pay good money to watch the manufacturers put engines down at one end of the pit lane at the start of a race weekend, and have the team principles from the customer teams race each other from the other end of the pit lane to them.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Knowing f1 you would get a load of special team principles in name. Their only job to race for the engines. A certain mr bolt would be a good choice.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's quite a long pit lane, you would want the 1500m runners. "and joining us from Ferrari, Taoufik Makhloufi. So Taoufik can you explain to us what the problem with Kimi's KERS was last race?" "..."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh Ferrari :allears:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

I would pay good money to watch the manufacturers put engines down at one end of the pit lane at the start of a race weekend, and have the team principles from the customer teams race each other from the other end of the pit lane to them.

I'm sure this thread would have nothing to say about Claire Williams being chased down the pit lane.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Clare's the deputy, F1 being F1, William's would simply fit a V8 engine to Frank's wheelchair.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ugh, imagine the whining about the lack of overtaking during the team principles footrace

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm sure some tires would blow or fall off in that race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

Lauda decided to cut back on his German TV commitments so they got a replacement: The world's fastest Irishman, Tim O'Glock.

No, I don't know why they couldn't get a German for that job either.

Didn't Lauda once interview himself as a higher up at Mercedes or something?

• Locked thread