Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

poo poo, Beholders.

Bet you regret not buying the Shield of Balduran. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Do Beholders have attacks besides their rays? Because I think I can have Jaheira solo that part of the Underdark.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Woolie Wool posted:

Bet you regret not buying the Shield of Balduran. :allears:

Eh 4 Party Members are already immune to Paralysis and hold through Weapons etc, then I have 2 Priests, Plus a Druid, so that takes care of Petrification, so those rays are kind of eliminated. I've got Death Ward for Deathray.

My plan is to just give Minsc a Two-handed sword buffed as gently caress then charge the hell in.

I may go buy that shield though.

edit:

Right now trying to murder the Slavers ,but Minsc is convinced to set off every goddamn trap in the building.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Yeah, I cant imagine doing this run without the Shield. Getting hit by ~20 rays a round is not a good time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That Shield saved the hell out of me. Keldorn is also cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Any idea why I am only ever gaining one hit point a level?

Yeah , I kicked out Cernd and took on Keldorn.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That's normal for casters after Level 10.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kavak posted:

That's normal for casters after Level 10.

Ah, yeah but not for my Fighter/Thief.

114 Hit Points

12 level Thief
10 Level Fighter

18 Con

That doesn't add up right for Multi- Class.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fighter should get 2 per level at that point. CON doesn't apply past level 9/10

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found a magical talking sword and gave it to Minsc. That was a pretty cool surprise.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hollismason posted:

Wow, I did not realize that all of your buff spells affected your summons. Just destroyed the Planar Prison with Hasted Fire Elementals.

Hasted skeletons/invisible stalkers ruin illithids.

LowellDND posted:

Yeah, I cant imagine doing this run without the Shield. Getting hit by ~20 rays a round is not a good time.

Full SCS means removing the shield and also nerfing the hell out of inquisitors. Although then I just end up cheesing beholders anyway so may as well have left the shield in, but you can also deal with beholders by putting on death ward, prot from petrification, etc etc and then just wrecking them. But blowing them up with offscreen fireballs is a lot faster.

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 30, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hollismason posted:

I found a magical talking sword and gave it to Minsc. That was a pretty cool surprise.

The Sword is fun. And works well with Minsc. (Minus the fact that it is kinda kill crazy.)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Buffs only buy you a round or two at most vs beholders because they spam anti-magic ray to dispel all that poo poo, then they petrify you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just went and bought the beholder shield and gave Keldorn a +3 Axe. The only fight that was a bit trouble was those summoners in the middle.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Anyone a suggestion on a main character for an evil playthrough with this party:
ME: ???
1. Dorn Il-Kahn (Blackguard)
2. Kagain (Fighter)
3. Edwin (Mage)
4. Montaron (Fighter/Thief) -> CH3 Baeloth (Sorcerer)
5. Viconia (Cleric)

I first thought taking an archer, but then I remembered that rangers are good :( So I am now doing a good playthrough with this party:
ME: Archer
1. Neera (Wild Mage)
2. Branwen (Cleric) -> Yeslick (Fighter/Cleric) ?
3. Imoen (Thief 6 -> Mage 9)
4. Coran (Fighter/Thief)
5. Ajantis (Paladin)

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Crip Towe posted:

Anyone a suggestion on a main character for an evil playthrough with this party:
2. Kagain (Fighter)
3. Edwin (Mage)
5. Viconia (Cleric)

I first thought taking an archer, but then I remembered that rangers are good :( So I am now doing a good playthrough with this party:
1. Neera (Wild Mage)
4. Coran (Fighter/Thief)
5. Ajantis (Paladin)

Could go for a fighter/thief ranged character, or a bard or something.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Crip Towe posted:

Olaf the Berserker.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Even in SCS, all types of beholders, with the exception of Hive Mothers, cannot see through invisibility. Take advantage of that, and their relatively low HP to pre-emptively attack and kill them one at a time, then go invisible when the anti-magic ray wears off. Repeat until they're all dead. Surprisingly simple, even without the Shield of Balduran. Invisibility potions aren't exactly rare.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
What's the general consensus on the Claw of Khazgaroth? I'm thinking about grabbing it for Neera.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rahzmataz posted:

What's the general consensus on the Claw of Khazgaroth? I'm thinking about grabbing it for Neera.

Good if you're a non fighter with 18 con.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Good if you're a non fighter with 18 con.

Also if you have con in the upper area of the dead zone, like Neera.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Crip Towe posted:

2. Kagain (Fighter)
3. Edwin (Mage)
5. Viconia (Cleric)

Looks to me like you'll be thief light when you dump Monty for Baeloth. Disarming traps and popping locks still being a thing, I'd suggest Fighter/Thief for ranged shenanigans, Mage/Thief for more blasty, Cleric/Thief for more heals, or just go nuts and do the old Fighter/Mage/Thief "Anything you can do, I can do about a level or two behind".

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LowellDND posted:

It's not too bad, i did it with scs2 has the option to remove the shield from game, which i did because i'm dumb. Was quite surprised when i got through it relatively unscathed.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Low level D&D, especially with SCS AI can be pretty nasty. Having a group of three bandits all target my character (a wild mage), killing me before my melee characters even get into range is really something. I'll probably have to get some protection from missile weapons, or at the very least cast Monster/Animal Summoning (Spell Revisions makes these level 1 spells) before engaging to give them different targets, or hope to get a Sleep off before I'm filled with arrows.

I am not looking forward to the 8-10 bandits surrounding you random encounter. Yikes.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Which mod was it that would prevent party members from leaving my party based on reputation?

I really want Shar-Teel in my party.

edit: I think I found it. It's the happy patch.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 30, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Which mod was it that would prevent party members from leaving my party based on reputation?

I really want Shar-Teel in my party.

I think tweak pack has that bit. The newest version is called something else though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lmao I forgot I had the helmet of opposite alignment anyway, problem solved.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's the best way to get a evil character. Brainwashing!

So which reward is better? Armor of Faith or the Ring of Holiness? Can't decide.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The ring, without a doubt. There are better armors out there.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

It's the best way to get a evil character. Brainwashing!

So which reward is better? Armor of Faith or the Ring of Holiness? Can't decide.

I'd say the armour: +1 saves is good and you should have more than enough castings of lvl 1,2,3 and 4 spells.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I thought you got the ring of holiness from that bounty hunter in Nashkel Inn... although come to think of it I didn't get it this time. Or wait, is it Mulahey?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You get the ring from a temple quest in BG II.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I didn't even remember what the armor does; it seems pretty useless. Magic armor means you can't wear a Ring/Cloak/Amulet of Protection, and it doesn't give you anything one of these wouldn't.

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's not too bad, i did it with scs2 has the option to remove the shield from game, which i did because i'm dumb. Was quite surprised when i got through it relatively unscathed.
Did you install the upgraded telekinetic Beholders?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does Keldorn leave permanently after his quest?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Does Keldorn leave permanently after his quest?

Only if you tell him to stay with his family.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Colgate posted:

Low level D&D, especially with SCS AI can be pretty nasty. Having a group of three bandits all target my character (a wild mage), killing me before my melee characters even get into range is really something. I'll probably have to get some protection from missile weapons, or at the very least cast Monster/Animal Summoning (Spell Revisions makes these level 1 spells) before engaging to give them different targets, or hope to get a Sleep off before I'm filled with arrows.

I am not looking forward to the 8-10 bandits surrounding you random encounter. Yikes.

First two spells should be sleep and shield. Shield to bounce all the arrows than sleep them before anything bad can happen.

Crip Towe posted:

2. Kagain (Fighter)
3. Edwin (Mage)
5. Viconia (Cleric)

1. Neera (Wild Mage)
4. Coran (Fighter/Thief)
5. Ajantis (Paladin)

Gnome Illusionist/Thief would be really powerful, Kensai 7 -> dual to thief would be something a lot of people don't do that would also be really powerful. Time stop trap and ability to use all equipment with fighter thaco, hitpoints and attacks.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Sleep is a little more useful for a level 1 wild mage than 1d4+1 damage.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Sleep is a little more useful for a level 1 wild mage than 1d4+1 damage.

Yeah, corrected.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions for an evil char. That kensai -> thief one looks nice and something I haven't done before.
I'll get rolling. I think i'll go for Berserker -> thief. Olaf.

Crip Towe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Kavak posted:

Do Beholders have attacks besides their rays? Because I think I can have Jaheira solo that part of the Underdark.

Beholders will try to munch on you up close, and I think they have a small selection of wizard spells, some of which are high level.