Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know it's a typo, but Mr Shpagetti is an even better dog name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Missed a golden opportunity by passing up Floaty McShipfaced IMHO

Or Mr Boatjangles.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Taeke posted:

Making it more appropriate really diminishes the juxtaposition though. Aside from the childish silliness it's precisely the generic nature of the name that adds to the humour. The lack of originality is part of it for me. An important, expensive science vessel having a name that a 13 year old would choose for their rowing boat contrasts nicely with the seriousness of its purpose and the people involved, especially now that all the 'serious people' have been so outspoken in their opposition of it.

They can't just compromise somehow? Like the treadmill NASA called C.O.L.B.E.R.T.?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Also it's entirely incorrect because they were trying to call a ship a boat. :spergin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The fact that it upset so many people makes it the right choice.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also it's entirely incorrect because they were trying to call a ship a boat. :spergin:

Shippy McShipface?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

malal posted:

Shippy McShipface?

Tumblr would love this.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Cockchafer_(1915) - an Insect class destroyer tehehe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Broke_(1914) - distinguished at the Battle of Jutland for ramming and destroying a destroyer. Bit of a pity it was a British one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dainty_(D108) - of the Daring class
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Black_Joke_(1827) - a slave catcher for crying out loud

Honourary mention to HMS Invincible, of which six ships have been named. Four of them sank.

I think Boaty McBoatFace is fine!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

duckmaster posted:

I think Boaty McBoatFace is fine!

Dumb/jokey names are fine, the problem is that calling something Blanky McBlankFace is what you do when you're trying really hard to be clever but you can't think of anything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Dumb/jokey names are fine, the problem is that calling something Blanky McBlankFace is what you do when you're trying really hard to be clever but you can't think of anything.

It's not an attempt at being clever. It's supposed to be stupid as hell.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yes. I think a lot of people aren't understanding the true spirit of the name. The name is dumb to an almost aggressive level. It shows a lack of imagination in the person who made it up, just that they want to ruin the name as lazily as possible. The final "face" is almost embarassing to say; it adds nothing worthwhile, a boat doesn't have a face, and it doesn't flow well from the rest of the name. The extreme and acknowledged dumbness is the point of the joke, no cleverness whatsoever.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AgentF posted:

Yes. I think a lot of people aren't understanding the true spirit of the name. The name is dumb to an almost aggressive level. It shows a lack of imagination in the person who made it up, just that they want to ruin the name as lazily as possible. The final "face" is almost embarassing to say; it adds nothing worthwhile, a boat doesn't have a face, and it doesn't flow well from the rest of the name. The extreme and acknowledged dumbness is the point of the joke, no cleverness whatsoever.

Yeah, that's why it's funny.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All the hate for the name just proves it’s the perfect choice. :allears:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the guy who submitted it in the first place apologise and admit it was a terrible name?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

duckmaster posted:

Honourary mention to HMS Invincible, of which six ships have been named. Four of them sank.

I forgot what it was exactly but I saw a boat one time called "The Eternal Voyage II" or something very similar to that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

The fact that it upset so many people makes it the right choice.

If you're going for that, it's absolutely the right choice that they didn't take the poll winner then. Just look at this thread.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't know if this is really dumb enough to qualify as a Dumb Move, but I just got a promotional email from Orbitz with the subject "Flights from [City] are dropping!" and it made me laugh.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

I don't know if this is really dumb enough to qualify as a Dumb Move, but I just got a promotional email from Orbitz with the subject "Flights from [City] are dropping!" and it made me laugh.

I almost took a discount flight into NYC right after 9/11. The only problem was, it landed at the Empire State Building. sorry, gilbert

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kizudarake posted:

I almost took a discount flight into NYC right after 9/11. The only problem was, it landed at the Empire State Building. sorry, gilbert

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Red Robin promotes their new Garden Burger. In doing so, they call vegetarians "teenage girls who are going through a phase" :thumbsup:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/red-robin-garden-burger_n_3455739.html

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Violet_Sky posted:

Red Robin promotes their new Garden Burger. In doing so, they call vegetarians "teenage girls who are going through a phase" :thumbsup:

:laffo: Goddamn, there are so many ways they could have intro'd having a veggie burger without being dumbasses about it. I'm not even vegetarian and I thought it was insulting. Also kinda surprised Red Robin is still a thing. I thought they were OOB ages ago. Is it a regional thing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't they cook the regular burgers and veggie burgers on the same grill anyway?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't they cook the regular burgers and veggie burgers on the same grill anyway?

I'm not sure but as a vegetarian myself it doesn't bother me that much. I mean the reality is unless a restaurant is vegetarian only meat is being served and particles will get mixed in. Short of a religious reason you have to draw the line somewhere.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Violet_Sky posted:

Hah. I don't know, people are too thin-skinned about this stuff. I'm a vegetarian, and I recognize that it's just a silly little joke.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. I don't know, people are too thin-skinned about this stuff. I'm a vegetarian, and I recognize that it's just a silly little joke.

This is a chain restaurant marketing in a way that alienates a whole group of potential consumers and their parents (in the event the teens don't have the money). We're what, a decade or so past rolling our eyes at "my BFF Jill?" Dismissing teen girl proclivities as nothing to take seriously doesn't sound like a great marketing idea for a place that in the past seemed to advertise as a "family," "fun," "cool" restaurant. Why make fun of that intended audience unless they're trying to get health-conscious cane-shaking senior dudes in there instead? Is that the real plan? Maybe I'm too dumb to understand marketing.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Mu Zeta posted:

"I'm a vegetarian" doesn't necessarily mean, "I'm a senior PETA member; gently caress anyone who so much as looks as meat" or, "I will go into anaphylactic shock if I so much as step foot in my parents' kitchen during Thanksgiving". A significant number of people do it for health benefits. Getting a little bit of meat juice on your broccoli is not going to do poo poo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I love the juxtaposition of 'Tallest building! Airships!' Immediately followed by 'Tear gas!'

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Strudel Man posted:

Also... It's a burger joint. They're providing an option they don't have to a group that is almost 100% not their target base. Of course they're going to take a silly jab at it - vegetarians weren't going to come here anyway unless they were dragged there. Like, say, a teenage girl going through a phase.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Actually I find Red Robin is pretty great since vegetarian burger substitutes for the entire menu is so uncommon it's nice to go out to eat and not have to get the one drat thing on the menu I can eat every time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not sure but as a vegetarian myself it doesn't bother me that much. I mean the reality is unless a restaurant is vegetarian only meat is being served and particles will get mixed in. Short of a religious reason you have to draw the line somewhere.

Bollocks to a religious reason, I know someone who legitimately is allergic to most animal proteins. On the other hand she'd never be dumb enough to go into a burger joint and think she'd be okay.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Red Robin is my chain burger crap restaurant of choice for when the need arises. I'd normally hate it, but after a long loving day of physical labor you just want to cram steak fries in your face. It's poutine logic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cakefool posted:

Bollocks to a religious reason, I know someone who legitimately is allergic to most animal proteins.

So she's allergic to *herself*?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

So she's allergic to *herself*?

Hope she's not a self-cannibal!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually I find Red Robin is pretty great since vegetarian burger substitutes for the entire menu is so uncommon it's nice to go out to eat and not have to get the one drat thing on the menu I can eat every time.

indie burger places are great for this reason.
Theres a burgert place next to me that does all of it's burgers in four styles: Meat (pork+beef), Halal chicken, vegetarian and vegan

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I think Wendy's did good with their Black Bean Burger. It's not marketed as a veggie burger or even an alternative to meat, just as it's own standalone item with a unique non-meat flavor. It's also really good.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cakefool posted:

Bollocks to a religious reason, I know someone who legitimately is allergic to most animal proteins. On the other hand she'd never be dumb enough to go into a burger joint and think she'd be okay.

Man, if thats not a " Go gently caress yourself" from nature, I don't know what is.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Burger King has a decent veggie burger IMO and KFC has a good fake chicken sandwich. I'd feel Mcdonalds would get more business if they added a veggie burger or something.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
There's an ad I've seen and I can't decide if it's horrible or absolutely brilliant.

I can't think of the name of the game but it's some generic F2P crap thing on android, whatever. The ad for it is just anime girls with big tits running at each other, fine, usual fare. What's strange is I've seen a version of the ad where they censor their breasts for absolutely no reason and I cannot seem to dig it up anywhere. Honestly I'm gonna lean towards brilliant on that because it's gonna get dumb, horny gamers to go to the app store and download it out of curiosity if nothing else.

Sorry for being so vague :v: I'm trying to find out what the hell it was, I'll post again if I can dig anything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dpbjinc posted:

"I'm a vegetarian" doesn't necessarily mean, "I'm a senior PETA member; gently caress anyone who so much as looks as meat" or, "I will go into anaphylactic shock if I so much as step foot in my parents' kitchen during Thanksgiving". A significant number of people do it for health benefits. Getting a little bit of meat juice on your broccoli is not going to do poo poo.

Or similarly because they just don't like the taste or texture or whatever of meat, there are plenty of non-crazy reasons.

My favorite local burger joint makes a great chickpea burger as a veggie option. I'll probably never order it myself, but my vegetarian friends love it, and it is really tasty.