Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Came across this today. Indy Bump Day 1995. I still can't believe it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7GlTcKDfQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Was there any luck on the Goon Pagoda suite?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bentai posted:

Was there any luck on the Goon Pagoda suite?

No. :( My dad has decided it is better to use it to entertain clients than to let goons have a party. Turns out I can't go to the race anyway, so yeah.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Bummer. Well there's always next year. :unsmith:

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-2017-spec-aerokit-requires-consensus-692296/

quote:

David Malsher: How do you tackle this subject – is it something that’s voted for by teams, by manufacturers? Or can IndyCar just say, “Here’s what we’re doing”?

Jay Frye: Well, we already have aero rules in place for 2017 and ’18. There were changes allowed in three boxes this year, and there will be two more allowed in ’17 and two in ’18. We hear the same stuff that you hear but at the moment it’s just hearsay regarding anything outside of what’s already in the rulebook for 2017.

However, if we are going to deviate from that, we will need to get somewhat of a consensus. But even if we didn’t contractually have to do that, we’d still work toward consensus because it’s the right thing to do.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just watched the Barber race. Graham brought that all on himself.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Minto Took posted:

Just watched the Barber race. Graham brought that all on himself.

somewhere a vein on wicka is bulging

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

go3 posted:

somewhere a vein on wicka is bulging

loving caps

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My daughter recreating vitor meira's 2009 crash. Happened right in front of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgNDIG3SmU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/herald_bulldog/2016/04/labor_day_indycar_race_called_off_in_boston

:rip:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

NIMBY strikes again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blech. Transition years into transition years.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Transition decades

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
parking lot races are the wave of the future

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Welp there goes my airfare to/from Boston down the drain :argh:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like the part where the series still gets the sanctioning fee even if the race gets cancelled. Maybe we can go do a track rental at an actual racetrack now.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

<insert epic rant about Boston Politics here>

EDIT: seriously, I would but I am sick and can't put in the :effort:

EDIT2:

Cygni posted:

I like the part where the series still gets the sanctioning fee even if the race gets cancelled. Maybe we can go do a track rental at an actual racetrack now.

Hopefully LRP, just to poo poo all over the NIMBYs there

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Portland
Laguna Seca
Fontana
Milwaukee (why the gently caress not?)
Gateway
Michigan
Watkins Glen
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Mont Tremblant

just tossing out a few replacements...IMO.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol like it's getting replaced

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Lol like it's getting replaced

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Portland
Laguna Seca
Fontana
Gateway
Michigan
Watkins Glen
Mont Tremblant

Mute City
The Moon
Rainbow Road

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Watched Toronto '94, 31 cars in the field, crazy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

Portland
Laguna Seca
Fontana
Gateway
Michigan
Watkins Glen
Mont Tremblant

Milwaukee Mile's closing down & Indycar won't run the Glen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you were insane if you actually thought the Boston race was going to happen

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Apparently they're looking for a place in the Northeast to run which is all of like 3 tracks (and will probably be Loudon if they can afford it).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Apparently they're looking for a place in the Northeast to run which is all of like 3 tracks (and will probably be Loudon if they can afford it).

Providence! (which will also not happen)

Seriously IMS, IndyCar, Penske, and Ganassi all doing a poo poo job of investing in permanent venues has really done them in quite a few ways.

Peanut President posted:

Milwaukee Mile's closing down & Indycar won't run the Glen.

The Mile is still a thing, some of it's seating just got sold off.

http://savethemile.org/calendar.html

My hope is that RA gets a Cup date, and the people at RA take over promoting the Mile (as has been rumored actually) then get a XFS/Trucks weekend going along with an IndyCar one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IndyCar is a clown promotion. Racing is alright though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

IndyCar, IMO, should run at Thompson.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

IndyCar is a clown promotion. Racing is alright though.

IMS is good at what it does and promotes the "500" amazingly well. When it's focused on just events at the Track? They can really do a lot of awesome things.

IndyCar itself would be better with having a different group managing it (ala what CART had going on from 1979-1995) with IMS/Hulman Co. focused on events that occur at the Speedway.

I'm not quite sure how you do that without pissing off the Hulmans again though...some sort of weird balance needs struck.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I wouldn't even say that IMS promotes the 500 all that well. It seems like it's been running on more than inertia for the past 20 years or so. Ratings keep dropping, and the continued blackout ensures a decent attendance figure, although I'm not so sure that's all that viable of a strategy past the 100th running this year given it's so easy to find an illegal stream these days.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alain Post posted:

IndyCar, IMO, should run at Thompson.

Hell yeah.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

I wouldn't even say that IMS promotes the 500 all that well. It seems like it's been running on more than inertia for the past 20 years or so. Ratings keep dropping, and the continued blackout ensures a decent attendance figure, although I'm not so sure that's all that viable of a strategy past the 100th running this year given it's so easy to find an illegal stream these days.

From a local and regional stand point? They do great! They really do. They've completely rebounded from 1996 and dark ages of the old IRL.

From a national standpoint? Yes, you're right, they struggle at it. But I think that's more so having to deal with the changing media climate (Death of ABC Sports/WWOS), The Split, and the rise in NASCAR's popularity (I don't rate that one as highly because they were doing fine in 1992 through 1995 for example).

But I don't quite know what you could do to boost it as a national event at this point. ABC's "Wide World of Sports" and Jim McKay made the Indy 500 a NATIONAL sporting event. They really treated the drat thing like a crown jewel well into the mid-2000's. All of that is gone and has been gone for quite some time.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 30, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

blackouts have been proven time and time again, in every sport in which they are used, to actually damage popularity and attendance. in my experience, if you live in indiana, and your family does not have a strong tradition of attending the 500, the blackout means it doesn't exist.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

Mute City
The Moon
Rainbow Road

Just run all 17 races at Indy at this point

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Run a double header at Pocono, with one race being on the road course configuration*

*this would benefit me and, like, two other people

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I like this part of the article.

quote:

Casey's decision to nix the race came after he asked for an extension to a May 1 deadline for BGP to fund letters of credit to Massport and the MBTA they had promised in a memorandum of understanding signed earlier this month.

I read this as "the promoter cancelled the race rather than demonstrate that he actually have financial backing"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

daslog posted:

I like this part of the article.

I read this as "the promoter cancelled the race rather than demonstrate that he actually have financial backing"

Yeah, it was never going to happen.

Did they actually take money for tickets?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
In better news I went out to Belle Isle today and most of the grandstands, fencing, and barriers were up already.

It was also pissing down all day and cold as poo poo which was a nice reminder of last year.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's 12:20am, May 1st in Indianapolis.

https://youtu.be/kzFvQPpVfTY

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

You loving monster.

Now for real, it's May goons!
https://youtu.be/CSzgwCql_mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, it was never going to happen.

Did they actually take money for tickets?

Yes, my friends and I all had our tickets already. Luckily I was a lazy rear end in a top hat about paying my friend for them, but hey hey now he doesn't have to write a check to me. I was excited about a race only being about an hour away. I guess I still have the New England Nationals to look forward too.

Uncle Jam posted:

It was also pissing down all day and cold as poo poo which was a nice reminder of last year.

I really regretted not buying an over priced fleece like my friends did. I wish i could make it again thins year.

• Locked thread