Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I misread that as "Supersona" and was like "what kind of new character creation meme is this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel pretty good that all of those will be solid costumes once they are not being drawn by Jim Lee

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I see Swamp Thing found some pants.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I assume Guerrilla Fighter Harley supposed to be the Suicide Squad version of her because that costume doesn't look like it'd work in the Connor/Palmiotti-verse.

It's the only costume I straight up dislike (although I am similarly disappointed Cruz's costume is becoming more generic/Green Lantern-ified).

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I prefer this Superman design and I honestly thought it was what we were getting until the Rebirth book dropped.

They should keep that costume for when Superbro hopefully eventually comes back.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Did anyone else like N52 Superman's design?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think I just genuinely don't like the mostly dark-blue bodysuit for Superman. It looks so dour regardless of how many thin bands of red they put on it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sudo rm -rf posted:

If you mean the original Jim Lee with the high collar and the armor lines all over it, no, I don't think anybody liked that design. I think it is a perfect symbol of everything that was wrong with the whole New 52 rebooted continuity, in that it didnt change enough to be worth doing, but it changed enough to be distracting and off-putting.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Truth outfit, though, is one of the best Superman looks.

:swoon:

The late-period New52 Superman is such a weird little note in the history of the character's identity: a police-fighting strongman who has abandoned his alien battlesuit in favor of casualwear, can explode sunbeams from his body, and, later, listen to the radio with his mind. He has no secret identity and is romancing the God of War.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

sudo rm -rf posted:

I loved it :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked it when Jim Lee drew it. Otherwise he should have just stuck with the shirt and jeans.

Speaking of super hero casual looks: Son of Superman, wear some drat socks with your shoes!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In the first issue of Morrison's comic that has the new uniform, he describes it as "kryptonian formal wear", which I thought was a neat concept. I would be fine with him only busting it out on special occasions and sticking to the t-shirt and jeans look for his every day superheroics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I forget why is Harley pure white. Isn't she just supposed to be wearing makeup.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's something stupid.
Frank Cho has been hired to draw a year's worth of variant covers for Wonder Woman.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/30/frank-cho-to-draw-24-covers-for-wonder-woman-this-year/

e: I'd believe the horndog superbabe cheesecake market returning to the comic for Cho might be bigger than that disappointed they're not entirely taking the high road, so maybe not financially stupid.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 30, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's something stupid.
Frank Cho has been hired to draw a year's worth of variant covers for Wonder Woman.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/30/frank-cho-to-draw-24-covers-for-wonder-woman-this-year/

Ah cool, I was really worried Wonder Woman was going to be too good with Rucka back

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

DrProsek posted:

I assume Guerrilla Fighter Harley supposed to be the Suicide Squad version of her because that costume doesn't look like it'd work in the Connor/Palmiotti-verse.

It's the only costume I straight up dislike (although I am similarly disappointed Cruz's costume is becoming more generic/Green Lantern-ified).

I was actually going to say it's the best of the lot, because it's not the same as her solo title's costume. They've given Harley a motif that she can adapt into different looks for different situations. All the dumb little details that make the other new costumes too busy and confusing sell the idea that the Harley, as a character, is parodying her own role in the Suicide Squad.

Come to think of it, if DC's dead set on doing half a dozen Harley books a month, they should hire Kyle Baker. Circa 2004 Kyle Baker.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Listen, I don't really care for Green Lantern stories at all so I'll admit up front I have no clue about the character in question, but is there even a half decent reason the one Green Lantern still wears a ski mask and has an actual gun? Because that just seems stupid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wouldn't say ski mask. It's a cowl and differentiates him from everyone else's domino mask.
As for the gun, his origin is being plucked up as a petty criminal and not trusting alien light tech. It's on Jim Lee's Rebirth art, but I don't think that's really been a part of his character since the shortly after the debut.

I think his introduction was actually one of the bright spots in Johns' N52 run. It's nice that he's finally getting focused on. I hope I like Humphries' comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 30, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't his whole thing that if his ring should fail for some reason, he still has a means to defend himself? I'm sure that will work well on super-powered space dictators or whatever, but eh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah it was because literally every Green Lantern has their ring run dry every other week at the worst possible time, so when that inevitably happens, at least he's still got a gun. I thought it was a really dumb idea at first until I learned that, now I think he's the only GL who's not a complete idiot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Yeah it was because literally every Green Lantern has their ring run dry every other week at the worst possible time, so when that inevitably happens, at least he's still got a gun. I thought it was a really dumb idea at first until I learned that, now I think he's the only GL who's not a complete idiot.

Yeah that gun will sure work against Sinestro or Darkseid or Mongul or Doomsday or etc.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

His Earth-3 version should have a bunch of guns and wear a power ring for when he runs out of bullets.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know...guns can also fail. Like that is a thing that can happen with guns. Has he ever even actually shot anyone with it?

And can someone Cliff's Notes Jessica Cruz for me? I've been keeping up with none of this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that gun will sure work against Sinestro or Darkseid or Mongul or Doomsday or etc.

Well sure, we as comic readers know that, but he's a fictional character. It only has to make sense to him. Even if having it just makes him feel more confident, and that makes his willpower constructs stronger, that's a more interesting character to me than Ken Doll In Space Makes Big Hands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

And can someone Cliff's Notes Jessica Cruz for me? I've been keeping up with none of this.

Power Ring has traditionally been an opposite version of Hal from Earth 3, he's all quivering and fearful and being ordered around by his evil alien ring.
Once he was killed in Forever Evil, the ring flew off to find another fearful person and got her. She'd been through a massive trauma, had a psychological break and was living locked in her apartment.
It controlled her for a while, but she overcame it, or she's in the process of that right now.

That's all been a part of the turned around good post-Forever Evil JL. Worth reading. You get all that Lex Luthor and chair Batman too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 30, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know...guns can also fail. Like that is a thing that can happen with guns. Has he ever even actually shot anyone with it?

Yeah, he straight-up shot Sinestro.

Given how often the rings are corrupted, disabled, reassigned, drained, or stolen, I think a side arm of some sort makes sense, though an Earth gun firing bullets is admittedly really low-tech for galactic law enforcement.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Power Ring has traditionally been an opposite version of Hal from Earth 3, he's all quivering and fearful and being ordered around by his evil alien ring.
Once he was killed in Forever Evil, the ring flew off to find another fearful person and got her. She'd been through a massive trauma, had a psychological break and was living locked in her apartment.
It controlled her for a while, but she overcame it, or she's in the process of that right now.

That's all been a part of the turned around good post-Forever Evil JL. Worth reading. You get all that Lex Luthor and chair Batman too.

And it makes perfect sense why she'd then become a full Green Lantern, because isn't the current criteria 'being able to overcome great fear'?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forget why is Harley pure white. Isn't she just supposed to be wearing makeup.

N52 Harley's origin involves Joker dunking her in chemicals similar to the ones than messed up his skin and hair. She wears makeup if she's being Dr Quinzel now, and also has the Margot Robbie blonde hair with the dyed tips, but otherwise, she's as pale as Joker normally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

And it makes perfect sense why she'd then become a full Green Lantern, because isn't the current criteria 'being able to overcome great fear'?

And in the vicinity when an old one dies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

And in the vicinity when an old one dies.

You're saying she had style, she had flair, she was there, that's how she became Green Lantern?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

It gives him multiple points of failure instead of a single one. You wouldn't tell a marine to get rid of their sidearm because their rifle is a generally better weapon.

Maybe he should use his space connections to get a really good laser gun or something but the idea of a sidearm isn't preposterous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUIfX9TSJs&t=123s

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Basically if a new recruit human being Lantern doesn't 100% trust the ring and wants to have a backup means of defending himself, it needs to a) be something he does trust and is familiar with, b) easily obtainable, not made by magic space elves but by regular ol' people, and c) something he can carry on his person easily. A gun can fail but a person can also learn it inside and out, clean it, care for it, etc. to the point that he can probably fix it if it does fail.

Like how pirates in the old times used to carry a brace of pistols since they took forever to reload, the Lantern with a ring and a gun is objectively in better shape than the Lantern who has a ring but no gun.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

As far as simple outfits works I like the Jessica GL aside from the eye thing. But most of those are still pretty basic and 99% of the population couldn't tell what's new.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I like how your first choice is the one guy we know it does work on. (And even if it hadn't happened on panel, why would Sinestro be immune to bullets? He's as much 'just a dude' as any of the human Lanterns without a ring.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And as long as it carries the weight of a broken moral code and uses a time traveling bullet, you can shoot Darkseid with a gun too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

I like how your first choice is the one guy we know it does work on. (And even if it hadn't happened on panel, why would Sinestro be immune to bullets? He's as much 'just a dude' as any of the human Lanterns without a ring.)

Because he is a bad guy so his ring doesn't fail at inappropriate times.

Though why people are arguing the merits of a dumb gimmick in the first place is beyond me.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
"Watch out for time-travelling bullets" is such a 1st world problem

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Four Score posted:

* Fourth World problem ;)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Somewhat worth mentioning that the time between "Jessica is possessed by the ring" and "Jessica partners with the Justice League to do missions" is like a couple of hours. It's been a little while since I read it but if memory serves Flash determines that the ring can't be removed (or Jessica doesn't want it removed?) so they do the only rational thing and put her in the field.

I'm definitely not complaining that "they didn't go introduce the new character slowly enough, they should have dragged out Jessica begging the team to take her along for a few more issues!" but it just seemed funny to me how quickly it all happened in world v:v:v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Four Score posted:

Teenage Fansub posted:

* Fourth World problem ;)

gently caress