Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Deploying units specifially to "guard" or "attack" specific objectives. Which to me sounds more like those players want it to be more like Warhammer Invasion. I never saw anyone bitch about that, just the deck building stuff. You don't deploy enough units in Star Wars that they could attack or defend specific things so if doesn't make sense, let alone dealing with how that would affect the asymmetrical victory conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Beat Dol Goldur after a few tries. I feel like I got an easy run when I did win though. There's a lot of variation in the setup - which hero gets captured can be huge, and what cards get put in as guards is an even bigger swing. You could have basically nothing starting in the staging area vs having 3 high threat stuff.

Has anyone beat it solo? I've only managed it double decking. Just having only two heroes and at most one ally against maybe 8+ threat (for a bad start) on the first quest I can't figure out what you'd build for. Resources and stalling maybe, and trying to build up an army. while hopefully keeping the staging area manageable. I had a lot of location control going on and that certainly helped. And sometimes I was happier to see a treachery than anything else because it meant nothing was staying in the staging area.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Yeah, The Hunt for Gollum and A Journey to Rhosgobel can also bone you with a bad encounter deck shuffle.

I was playing Conflict at the Carrock yesterday, and was getting really pissed that A Burning Brand wasn't coming up so I could make Denethor the wall he was meant to be. After successfully finishing the quest, I flipped through the rest of my deck and realized that I forgot to add it :doh:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I will finally start the Mirkwood cycle when I play next time. So I'll start to get used to how each one kills me.

I think it's just the massive swings that can happen in the setup that get me. I know Dol Goldur is hard, but I feel like I got let off easy. And I find that a bit frustrating because I then don't feel like I actually beat it. I can't remember what my set up was, but I swear I once had three treacheries that did nothing for the guard cards, so basically started with an empty staging area.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

I think it's just the massive swings that can happen in the setup that get me. I know Dol Goldur is hard, but I feel like I got let off easy. And I find that a bit frustrating because I then don't feel like I actually beat it.

Don't think of it as just a puzzle to be solved and it might be less frustrating. The variation in both the player and encounter decks is what makes the game so replayable instead of just beating an adventure once then moving on to the next.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's fair. But i half feel like i cheated when I'm too lucky. I won't let it frustrate me too much though. Like you said, I'll just replay it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I haven't beaten Dol Goldur solo, just two handed. That said I totally get the "too lucky" feeling. Usually when that happens I double down on making a more refined/new deck and just curb stomp the quest so I can walk away all smug.

...Or I lose a bunch more and say "Eh, beat it that one time. NEXT QUEST!"
hahahaha

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

alansmithee posted:

I've never heard about Conquest being improved Star Wars outside of this board. And I don't see how you could say it's got a better pod system since it doesn't have a pod system outside of your leader having preset cards (and fwiw I think that's a flaw in the game). I've never heard of anyone requesting that people play cards to specific objectives in SW either. If anything, I think the objectives are way better than Conquest's planet system-not only are they not always the same cards, but the fact your engagements actually eliminate them means you can actually work to deprive your opponent from a benefit you don't want them to have vs. just having to wait around until it's the first planet in line.

Basically as was mentioned before it seems like a lot of your biases are making you believe subjective opinions you and parts of your playgroup hold are somehow objective truths. I think both games are solid and have their place, but if I were to pick one that's better designed I'd have few reservations going with Star Wars (but again I'm a big fan of the pod system and think that's a big innovation, especially now that there's a larger card pool to support it).

Oh, all of my statements here are just in reference to what people in my area have told me. I've never played Star Wars LCG and I have no idea whether these statements are accurate - but even the Star Wars diehards in my area say Conquest is the better game.

I personally haven't played LotR, Star Wars, Cthulhu, or WHI. My sense of the LCGs that I have played is that they all have things to recommend them. In my eyes, Conquest is the best in 1v1, Thrones is the best in multiplayer, and Netrunner has the biggest community and most developed cardpool.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 29, 2016

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I've played them all, baby. I'd rate my top two as Conquest and LotR.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thrones is my favorite by far, but I'm enjoying LotR a lot on Octgn the past few days and would definitely recommend it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I've played every LCG competitively except WHI and Cthulhu.

I'm a big fan of the Star Wars LCG and not really a Star Wars fan boy, and while it's the LCG I enjoy most, I think I'd have to give the nod to Thrones as being the best one overall that I would say most players would like. It's easy to get into, very smooth mechanically, the game captures the theme of the property and is very well balanced. Our Conquest group only lasted through the first cycle before everyone gave up on it due to balance issues. Netrunner contiunes to be popular in our area, but I guess there's been some meta shifts that have burnt a lot of players out and they're down from where we used to be in total players, though they also stopped printing a Chinese language edition from overall poor sales so that probably cost us a few players as well.

There's no LCG I wouldn't recommend to anyone though. I think for most groups Thrones is a solid choice because it's mainstream pop culture, very easy to learn and play, doesn't require a lot of "blind math" like Netrunner does, and the deck building is also very simple.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
After 17 tries last night I finally beat Ruins of Belegost. I've come to hate that quest so much

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

PaybackJack posted:

I've played every LCG competitively except WHI and Cthulhu.

I'm a big fan of the Star Wars LCG and not really a Star Wars fan boy, and while it's the LCG I enjoy most, I think I'd have to give the nod to Thrones as being the best one overall that I would say most players would like. It's easy to get into, very smooth mechanically, the game captures the theme of the property and is very well balanced. Our Conquest group only lasted through the first cycle before everyone gave up on it due to balance issues. Netrunner contiunes to be popular in our area, but I guess there's been some meta shifts that have burnt a lot of players out and they're down from where we used to be in total players, though they also stopped printing a Chinese language edition from overall poor sales so that probably cost us a few players as well.

There's no LCG I wouldn't recommend to anyone though. I think for most groups Thrones is a solid choice because it's mainstream pop culture, very easy to learn and play, doesn't require a lot of "blind math" like Netrunner does, and the deck building is also very simple.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the balance issues? Space Marines and Kith were strong for a while, but they aren't winning nearly as many tournaments anymore. Now it's Worr Worr Worr, but think the Nids are going well. Every faction has a fighting chance in general, at the moment.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what is the balance issues? Space Marines and Kith were strong for a while, but they aren't winning nearly as many tournaments anymore. Now it's Worr Worr Worr, but think the Nids are going well. Every faction has a fighting chance in general, at the moment.

We quit a bit before the end of the first cycle and it just felt like you were either playing one of the two factions you mentioned if you wanted to win. One of our players was a 40k Ork player who couldn't make anything work with them and he never felt competitive at all. He's a good player but he just ended up last almost every tournament because they just couldn't compete. I'm glad to hear the game has balanced out, but compared to Thrones it's night and day when I was playing. Considering a lot of players will just jump into a set of cores, I couldn't see anyone but SM winning in Conquest 9/10 times. The aGoT core is far better balanced and there are a lot more deck combinations in a single core to help that.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'd agree. I personally didn't care for the 'three battles' mechanic. Figuring out who defends and who attacks during each battle turned out to be more of a math puzzle than anything, and I didn't think the theme made sense without a lot of hand waving and imagination. Heavy metal card art blasting fools at planets is more my style. There is still a fair amount of thought, but it doesn't feel like a optimization puzzle.

Though I would argue that Conquest has one of the best points of entry in the Tyranids box. If you use a friends tokens and planets, you have a full set of nearly every card in a faction for $30. The latest cycle added a few good cards, but really all you need to play a competitive Nids deck is that one box. It is a good time swarming planets with bugs.

The orcs are still one of the weakest factions unfortunately, though I've heard good things about their latest vehicle dude.

In any case, different strokes. Theme opinions tend to trump a lot of criticism for any LCG. I tell players to try the LCG where there is a community and you like the theme. Most likely, if there is a community, you'll have a dozen nerds swarming to teach you the ropes and you can determine if you like the mechanics. Other than Netrunner, they all have a pretty healthy meta and card pool at the moment.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Yeah, Conquest balance is actually really good IMO - at present every faction has at least one warlord that I would consider tier 1/tier 1.5, and nothing is dominating. Space Marines are still good, but there are lots of other strong options as well - this cycle made Astra Militarum and Orks, who felt a bit neglected, much more viable, with both strong new warlords and cards that solidly support their existing warlords.

That said I think I've never perceived balance in Conquest to be all that bad? In retrospect Cato was very strong - probably dominant - during the core set days, but people didn't really understand that at the time and the game has changed substantially since then. So much of the game is down to play skill that matchups have always felt less significant to me than in Netrunner or the like.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah, Conquest balance is actually really good IMO - at present every faction has at least one warlord that I would consider tier 1/tier 1.5, and nothing is dominating. Space Marines are still good, but there are lots of other strong options as well - this cycle made Astra Militarum and Orks, who felt a bit neglected, much more viable, with both strong new warlords and cards that solidly support their existing warlords.

That said I think I've never perceived balance in Conquest to be all that bad? In retrospect Cato was very strong - probably dominant - during the core set days, but people didn't really understand that at the time and the game has changed substantially since then. So much of the game is down to play skill that matchups have always felt less significant to me than in Netrunner or the like.

Worr is really good but IG still kinda sucks- if IG in general were better Starblaze would be a lot more interesting(also if his location wasnt a one-off or there was a way to fish for it). If you could get his location reliably you could do some nasty things with the IG stuff in his deck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Newbie LotR question: Does Unexpected Courage allow a character to attack twice, or do you assign attackers only once, and it's only after that phase that you use the ability?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Fat Samurai posted:

Newbie LotR question: Does Unexpected Courage allow a character to attack twice, or do you assign attackers only once, and it's only after that phase that you use the ability?

You can have them attack twice. It just can't be against the same enemy.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Worr is really good but IG still kinda sucks- if IG in general were better Starblaze would be a lot more interesting(also if his location wasnt a one-off or there was a way to fish for it). If you could get his location reliably you could do some nasty things with the IG stuff in his deck.

I dunno. Straken isn't great but Coteaz has been doing well, and I've actually had a fair bit of success with Starblaze too (the new M35 Galaxy Lasgun is super good when paired with Ambush Platform).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

frgildan posted:

You can have them attack twice. It just can't be against the same enemy.

Fun.

I'm new to deckbuilding and realizing how easy is to make Gimli a mincemeat machine and other simple combos is very rewarding.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fat Samurai posted:

Fun.

I'm new to deckbuilding and realizing how easy is to make Gimli a mincemeat machine and other simple combos is very rewarding.

Don't push it too far with tanking damage on Gimli.

A Gimli with citadel plate and some damage on him hits like a sledgehammer, but there are all kinds of treacheries or shadow cards that deal direct damage or strip off attachments that can kill him :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Foehammer posted:

Yeah, The Hunt for Gollum and A Journey to Rhosgobel can also bone you with a bad encounter deck shuffle.

A Journey to Rhosgobel is fairly trivialised if you build a dedicated Lore deck, but you can also cheese it with Northern Tracker.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

I think this is the biggest thing I've taken from the FFG LCGs. I've played all of them except WHI and Cthullu and while I don't personally enjoy them all (not a fan of Netrunner, although I haven't played since the second cycle ), I think they all offer people different things and have positives.

Unrelated, if/when they implement a restricted list for GoT it's looking like Lannister will end up the new Martell (having seemingly all their cards on). Pretty much all their uniques up the chain are good to great, and the tyrion/tywin combo means they don't feel the pain of events costing gold nearly as much as other factions do.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Fun.

I had a deck where it was just Citadel plate elf friend and rivendell bow. He becomes a murder machine for the whole board.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So I bought the GoT 2nd Edition Core Set; since I'm only thinking about playing with my friends casually, should I get any expansion? I know the 2nd edition is kind of new, but are there any "must buys" so far?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Is there a particular house your interested in playing?

radlum
May 13, 2013
How's the balance between the Houses?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Lannister is currently one of the stronger houses. Stark just got their big box so there's plenty of new cards to play around with right now. Martell just got a few nasty cards in the last two packs that have made them a thing. Greyjoy is the house everyone loves to run the banner of. Baratheon is very strong but not the top dog it used to be during early core days. What it comes down to is play style.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

radlum posted:

How's the balance between the Houses?

I'd say Lannister>Stark, Bara, Greyjoy, Targ>Tyrell, Martell, Night's Watch.

The problem with the base box though is it's a bit swingy in that if someone drops one of their good 6 or 7 drops first, it can be extremely hard to come back from that.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I think I'll try Baratheon (and Lannister for my friend who also plays)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The best buy for someone that has 1 core set is another core set (until you have 3). The majority of cards in most decks still come from the core at this point, and all of the uniques will need 2-3 cores to really build a complete deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

All the houses are very well balanced for new players.

At a competitive level the only faction I don't see represented very much is Night's Watch and I think that has to do with the fact that a lot of their gimmick is defending and there are a lot of cards in the meta right now that make defending very hard. Lords of The Crossing Agenda being a prime candidate. The other weaker faction at the moment is Tyrell but they're also a really strong faction to banner in as Sansa's Rose is still an excellent card to help a power rush deck. Targaryen is also not winning a lot, but they just got some new cards that people are starting to play with that could make them really strong.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm having problems with the timing of Actions in LotR. The way I'm reading the manual is "every time I drat well please", but the explanation is kind of confusing.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having problems with the timing of Actions in LotR. The way I'm reading the manual is "every time I drat well please", but the explanation is kind of confusing.

Here's a chart with a detailed round structure showing when actions can be triggered: http://www.kaybee.org/kirk/LoTR_LCG_QuickRef.pdf

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

That's pretty much the best way to play it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing the first LoTR mission two handed, to get a grasp on the rules. Thoroughly trashed it by Steward of Gondor-ing Denethor, which gave me enough income to play Forest Snare on both Ungoliant Spawn and Ufthak.

Then the Troll bonked me in the head. Repeatedly. :(

Fun game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

One thing that can make the experience seem too easy: although events can be played pretty much any time you please, allies and attachments can only be played during the planning phase. That means, for example, you can't slap a Forest Snare on a particularly vicious enemy that just engaged you before it gets in its first attack.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

This is a great reference:

http://files.geekdo.com/geekfile_do...510c8e41ef10cd8

Look on page 5. The basic gist is "you can do an action after basically anything".