Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Good recommendation. I beat Super Hexagon on every difficulty more than once. Love it.

Keep em coming. Anything good that has little to no story in the last decade. Anything from F-zero to Battletoads to Metroid Prime to Lemmings to Tetris to Super Monkey Ball. I'll check out Minecraft and Etrian Odyssey.

Luftrausers is just "fly around and shoot things until you explode" from the start and pretty fun if you like furious shoot-em-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mushihimesama is definitely the best shmup on Steam. There's an ending, but the text makes no sense, press start to skip it. If bullet hells intimidate you, don't worry: novice mode is really accessible.

Astro Port's new shmup Wolflame looks rad as hell - a huge throwback to Raiden, Twin Cobra, etc. I haven't played it yet so I can't offer a 1st-hand opinion.

I've put a lot of hours into Audiosurf over the years. It's pretty fun to get shitfaced and ride your music library. There's also Audiosurf 2 now, but I haven't played it.

Aside from some humorous flavour text, there's no backstory or plot to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, where upon progressing through the game (or dying horribly), you make your own story of sorts.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, if we're recommending bullet hells, Crimzon Clover is a great one. No plot, also has an easy mode.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love the vocal distortion when fighting GLaDOS in Portal. What are some other games where the gameplay can have a big distorting effect on the audio?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 25, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chamale posted:

I love the vocal distortion when fighting GLaDOS in Portal. What are some other games where the gameplay can have a big distorting effect on the audio?

In Silent Hill 1 at least, you have a walkie talkie or radio or something and static comes through when enemies are near.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Is it worth getting Skyrim for PS3, if in general I don't really like Bethesda games without mods? My problem with Oblivion, Fallout 3, NV was that enemies leveled up with me and I never felt like I was progressing (e.g. plain old bandits wearing the same armor I just got from a gigantic sidequest or whatever). I have Skyrim for PC and played it a few years back - I don't remember much about it although Steam tells me I played it for like 35 hours. I don't want to play it on PC though 'cause I'm looking for a console game I can play while my wife crochets. We are boring.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

Is it worth getting Skyrim for PS3, if in general I don't really like Bethesda games without mods? My problem with Oblivion, Fallout 3, NV was that enemies leveled up with me and I never felt like I was progressing (e.g. plain old bandits wearing the same armor I just got from a gigantic sidequest or whatever). I have Skyrim for PC and played it a few years back - I don't remember much about it although Steam tells me I played it for like 35 hours. I don't want to play it on PC though 'cause I'm looking for a console game I can play while my wife crochets. We are boring.

Just plug your pc into the tv. What is this 1995?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Nevvy Z posted:

Just plug your pc into the tv. What is this 1995?

Eh, PITA plus my PC is a garbage non-gaming laptop that never ran Skyrim that well in the first place and overheated last time I tried to play Penumbra. Penumbra.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

LargeHadron posted:

Eh, PITA plus my PC is a garbage non-gaming laptop that never ran Skyrim that well in the first place and overheated last time I tried to play Penumbra. Penumbra.

I definitely wouldn't get it for PS3 if you don't like scaling enemies and already bought it for PC. PS3 Skyrim is not the version of that game you want to be playing in 2016

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Phetz posted:

I definitely wouldn't get it for PS3 if you don't like scaling enemies and already bought it for PC. PS3 Skyrim is not the version of that game you want to be playing in 2016

Do you mean because of graphics? I don't really care about that.

Re: scaling - I assumed it has the same system as other Bethesda games, but I guess I was wondering if anyone thought it had enough redeeming features that I'd be able to still have fun with it. Was thinking maybe trying a stealth archer FWIW.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
There is no reason to play Skyrim when Witcher 3 is available. Is its pretty much a superior open world experience in every way

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Skyrim wasn't that good in 2011 and it's definitely not good now. The level scaling isn't as bad as oblivion but if you're looking for the hand crafted open world experience of morrowind you're not going to find it in Skyrim.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LargeHadron posted:

Do you mean because of graphics? I don't really care about that.

Re: scaling - I assumed it has the same system as other Bethesda games, but I guess I was wondering if anyone thought it had enough redeeming features that I'd be able to still have fun with it. Was thinking maybe trying a stealth archer FWIW.

There is no reason to play Skyrim on PS3, it's the shittiest version of a game that only holds up when LOTS of mods are applied to the PC version.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Joining the chorus to say don't subject yourself to a Bethesda game on console. I haven't made it through a single Bethesda game yet without having to ~console myself out of rocks, force stages through busted quests, mod away bugs the devs should've fixed, etc etc. Trying one without those abilities just sounds like smashing your nuts in a drawer for no reason.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

MikeC posted:

There is no reason to play Skyrim when Witcher 3 is available. Is its pretty much a superior open world experience in every way

This is pretty much your best option. Buy The Witcher 3 for whatever system your heart desires as the game owns without mods, straight out of the box. Thanks, CD PRojekt Red! :bravo:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Alright, I'm glad I asked about Skyrim. Maybe I'll do Deus Ex HR...

I'll probably write a question for this thread in the traditional way soonish because I think I'm nearing the end of Chrono Trigger.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean hate on Skyrim all you want, but collectively the planet has put in one bazillion hours playing it. More people like it than dislike it. Play both and make up your own mind. The person knocking Skyrim probably put 200 hours into before declaring that it sucks.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I think the problem most folks have in this particular instance is that he wants to play it on a console which is a really bad idea when you consider how much time and effort have gone into community developed mods.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MikeC posted:

I agree with this. I played Skyrim for the first time last year. It was alright. Interesting at first having such an open massive world but then you do the same thing over and over and there's nothing in the story worth caring about. I played Witcher 3 this year. Now I feel like I wasted my time with Skyrim because Witcher 3 is Skyrim x 100. Every single thing I enjoyed about Skyrim is much greater in Witcher 3.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean hate on Skyrim all you want, but collectively the planet has put in one bazillion hours playing it. More people like it than dislike it. Play both and make up your own mind. The person knocking Skyrim probably put 200 hours into before declaring that it sucks.

Having a lot of time played in a game doesn't invalidate their complaints about it. Especially with sandbox games like skyrim were you might have to actually play for a long time to realize that as huge and impressive as the game world is, there's nothing in it, and most of the content is ankle deep at best.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Skyrim's better than W3 in the "just dick around doing whatever" -category which a lot of people like but yeah, if one doesn't like unmodded Bethesda games then it's 100% one of those.

Also I think the guy got his answer already, let's not have an internet battle over Skyrim's quality or lack thereof.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I spent 3 hours with that game before turning it off. It wasn't terrible, but man did it feel uninspired and janky as gently caress. I really hope the next Fallout/Elder Scrolls completely tanks commercially, as it seems that's the only thing that will get them to address and fix their issues.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That seems unlikely. Most people are willing to overlook the jankiness of the games just because nobody else really does anything like them. If they got some serious competition in the "open world RPG sandbox" genre it might affect them but that's still a tall order considering the amount of money it takes to make those games.

Anyway if you are going to play Skyrim, the correct answer is play it on PC. At least that way you can mod some of the janky bits (and you can still use a controller if you prefer it).

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

If we were discussing playing it on PC, I would agree with you. The original question was whether he should get it for PS3, though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I'm looking for something on PC along the lines of Terraria in terms of a building/crafting/exploration game, since I've played that to death and am looking for more.

Ideally I'd like something in 3D since my one complaint with Terraria is that building things in 2D feels kind of limited. 7 Days to Die and Minecraft sort of scratch the itch, but it's hard to make the kind of constructions I want to with their huge blocks.

I'm open to Early Access stuff if it's good. I don't care if there's no multiplayer, but I don't want something that's online/multiplayer-only if possible.

Any such thing exist?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm looking for something on PC along the lines of Terraria in terms of a building/crafting/exploration game, since I've played that to death and am looking for more.

Ideally I'd like something in 3D since my one complaint with Terraria is that building things in 2D feels kind of limited. 7 Days to Die and Minecraft sort of scratch the itch, but it's hard to make the kind of constructions I want to with their huge blocks.

I'm open to Early Access stuff if it's good. I don't care if there's no multiplayer, but I don't want something that's online/multiplayer-only if possible.

Any such thing exist?

Space Engineers is really great for construction now that they put planets in. Exploration kind of sucks though.

Fortresscraft Evolved actually turned out decent. It started as a straight-up Minecraft clone but it turned into a so-so logistics game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

I am not hating on Skyrim in any way. I have played PC games for 20 years now and it was a Top 5 game of all time for me until Witcher 3 came out. When I say Witcher 3 offers you a superior experience in almost every way, I mean it. The only thing that Skyrim has on Witcher is the 'nameless one RP aspect'. Otherwise its inferior graphical experience, has a smaller world, has far less interesting combat with fewer and less interesting monsters and enemies, and has far weaker writing and quest progression.

Most importantly Skyrim lacks immersion in the way the Witcher franchise always had in spades. Bethesda worlds always had a very arbitrary feel about them where its very obvious that the world was built as a sandbox for you. Quests come and go with no consequences other than more loot and more XP. You can do "big things" like participate in a civil war in Skyrim but after it ends, nothing much changes except the uniform of the guards in the cities. They throw you a few bones here and there with some continuity but mainly after a quest chain, its back to the sandbox.

Witcher 3 has soul and feeling. You never get to do big gameworld changing stuff but what you do has significant meaning to the characters you interact with. Even very simple go here and kill x quest is dressed up with small vignettes of the backgrounds of miserable peasants where life is shite. You learn how monsters and lords poo poo on what little they had and now they have to scrape together whats left of their village's life savings to pay you to get rid of the problem. You talk to underworld crime bosses who send you off to do their dirty work but when you get rear end hosed they come around and show some compassion and commiserate with your situation and throw out unexpected help for you. Then you feel bad when his ambitions makes you have to pick between killing your friends or siding with him. The people feel real, the misery feels real and the so the rewards also feel real unlike in Skyrim when its just another sword you throw in your backpack, another faceless NPC who exists only to give you the quest and hand out a reward.

You find experiences like this is much smaller games where there is a lot less freedom so they can craft a tighter story line. The Witcher 3 devs have somehow done it across a massive open world.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Genpei Turtle posted:

Any such thing exist?

You could take a look at Empyrion: Galactic Survival. It's kind of like 1/2 Space Engineers and 1/2 7 Days to Die.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You could take a look at Empyrion: Galactic Survival. It's kind of like 1/2 Space Engineers and 1/2 7 Days to Die.

Empyrion is a LOT of fun and they've done (and planned) some really exciting stuff. I believe they just got out of pre-alpha and the devs seem committed so it's not a bad purchase if you're into that stuff.

e: vvv no doubt, there is indeed some jank but these days I think that's pretty much a given when you say alpha/EA/beta/not 1.*

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 28, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

Empyrion is a LOT of fun and they've done (and planned) some really exciting stuff. I believe they just got out of pre-alpha and the devs seem committed so it's not a bad purchase if you're into that stuff.

Agreed, but with the warning that it is still janky as gently caress. The core of the game is pretty fun, but it is very much an alpha.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Since Steam is having an anime sale, can anyone recommend a visual novel?

It can be serious, tragic, funny, whatever, but I don't want stuff like magic, robots, demons, psychic powers, pigeons, superheroes, post-apocalyptica etc. The only anime series I've liked have been Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh, so I can tolerate some weirdness, but mostly I just want something realistic/believable.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why did no one say Axiom Verge for a good recent game with little story? This game is excellent. I just got introduced to it. It feels as good as the best 2D Metroids. I hope I'm not about to run into a plot dump.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why did no one say Axiom Verge for a good recent game with little story? This game is excellent. I just got introduced to it. It feels as good as the best 2D Metroids. I hope I'm not about to run into a plot dump.

Speedrun mode lets you turn the plot off. Otherwise there's a fair bit of it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Is there a (good) game with repairing/cleaning/upgrading/automation as a central component to gameplay? The closest to it I can think of is Visceral Cleanup Detail but I'd like something with more... creation to it?

I've been playing games like Nom Nom Galaxy, Minecraft, Guns of Icarus Online (repairing equipment is nice but it's not really permanent by any means).

I don't even know if a game exists. Ideally the gameplay loop would be something like explore for materials, find equipment/junk, repair/build up your base, automate things to build things to progress.

I guess there's probably a Minecraft mod out there that does this but I was hoping to not play Minecraft. I think I've been seeing too much Rust and Subnautica lately and it's just made me want something similar to those but not exactly.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Comic posted:

Is there a (good) game with repairing/cleaning/upgrading/automation as a central component to gameplay? The closest to it I can think of is Visceral Cleanup Detail but I'd like something with more... creation to it?

I've been playing games like Nom Nom Galaxy, Minecraft, Guns of Icarus Online (repairing equipment is nice but it's not really permanent by any means).

I don't even know if a game exists. Ideally the gameplay loop would be something like explore for materials, find equipment/junk, repair/build up your base, automate things to build things to progress.

I guess there's probably a Minecraft mod out there that does this but I was hoping to not play Minecraft. I think I've been seeing too much Rust and Subnautica lately and it's just made me want something similar to those but not exactly.

Factorio focuses a lot on the automation aspect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvXv1Z6EY8

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Factorio. Go play Factorio. Notify somebody before you do though, else you might starve yourself to death.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Yeah I've been keeping my eye on it ever since I saw Giant Bomb take a look at it. Anything else? Less automation stuff is fine too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

OpenTTD is what I sometimes think of when I see Factorio.

You might also just consider planting a small herb garden.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
We are actually thinking about using Factorio in our interviews for software engineers working on performance engineering. Give them a license to Factorio and an hour, see how efficient they can make something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The best minecraft mod for what you're talking about would probably be Blightfall, but if you don't wanna play minecraft that's kinda out.

How do you feel about Farm Simulator? You can get the tractor dirty and then wash it. :q: