Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Outside of starting with one, where can I find a 100% physical damage reduction shield the earliest?

You can either get lucky and a knight enemy will drop his, or you can rescue Greirat and purchase a Kite Shield off of him. It needs 12 strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMD3 posted:

I'm at the last boss. if I still want to go fight the nameless king and get some PVP in before NG+ am I correct in assuming I shouldn't kill him yet?

The game asks you if you want to go to NG+, so you're safe as long as you don't want to host invaders in his area.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
quick question, is the Onion Knight (siegward I think) voiced by brian blessed? he's awesome.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

From my favorite website, Reddit - Back-up your savegame! If you get softbanned for no reason or for something that wasn't by your own doing, you can delete your savegame and replace it with your back-up! Your softban will be gone

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I just have never understood the mindset, I guess.
if you are powerless in your everyday life, it gives you a feeling of power
some people are genuinely bad at games and get pleasure from becoming 'good' through hacking
making people suffer can feel good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

From my favorite website, Reddit - Back-up your savegame! If you get softbanned for no reason or for something that wasn't by your own doing, you can delete your savegame and replace it with your back-up! Your softban will be gone

That doesn't actually remove a softban once it's in effect--it's to avoid the softban in the first place. You don't get banned immediately when invalid data is detected, so restoring your save to a backup before you're actually banned basically just removes the invalid data. Once you're banned, though, I think it's account-wide, so you then would have to make a family share account and load up your backup there.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I still don't understand hackers. Like, if you're hacking, and then trying to "win" at the game, or ruin other people's gameplay, how small and disgusting is your penis, exactly?

It's like all the people that just got banned for hacking in TF2, literally every single one of them said they never hacked, but there was no false-positives to that ban wave, valve worked directly with the dude making the aimbot they all used.

Psychology 101 says it's part of the power/control mindset. You know that one guy who would get legitimately pissed off and flip the table because they lost at a friendly board game or something? Same kinda people.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Wow! Pontiff Sulyvahn, Abyss Watchers, Dancer, and L+L are some of the best one on one fights in any Souls series.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I still don't understand hackers. Like, if you're hacking, and then trying to "win" at the game, or ruin other people's gameplay, how small and disgusting is your penis, exactly?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Well I mean, why does anyone do any sort of griefing? They obviously get pleasure from other people's pain and frustration, and since it's online they don't really face any consequences. I suppose you could take it as an extension or parallel to bullying, except they can affect many more people and avoid repercussions while doing it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Reading material about save game backups:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4h498o/psa_it_is_completely_safe_to_backup_save_files/

Auto-backup tool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4f02y7/dark_souls_2_3_auto_backup_tool/

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Here's a little oval office streaming his hacking right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztSqpIb3hA

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One thing my Silver Knight archer is not ineffective at: Killing the Nameless King. Whoever in this thread said that the NK is easy at range was completely correct. He can't do poo poo to hit you, all of his range attacks (I'm counting his attacks he does to get right up in your face) are easy to dodge and pitiful. It'll take nearly all your arrows, but wow, it makes this fight a joke.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Andrast posted:

Anybody who thinks DS3 is easy compared to dark souls 1 hasn't played DS1 in a while.

poise makes all the difference

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

my wiener is very small and gross. I don't hack though.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
My favourite thing to do at the moment is play supercop in undead settlement. I ran through the game at level 20 and got real beefy with pyromancy and rings. Now I hang out as a bluecop and kill the usual slew of twinked gankers that infest it.

48 ears and counting.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Just report the channel and move on. Don't give him a like or dislike or anything. Attention is what he wants.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Your Computer posted:

Well I mean, why does anyone do any sort of griefing? They obviously get pleasure from other people's pain and frustration, and since it's online they don't really face any consequences. I suppose you could take it as an extension or parallel to bullying, except they can affect many more people and avoid repercussions while doing it.

It's like in sports but instead of using HGH you're charging the mound with a Chaos Zweihander and cleaving Clayton Kershaw in two.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

My favourite thing to do at the moment is play supercop in undead settlement. I ran through the game at level 20 and got real beefy with pyromancy and rings. Now I hang out as a bluecop and kill the usual slew of twinked gankers that infest it.

48 ears and counting.

w....what....48 ear.....thats so many ear. my mind can't conceive of that many ears.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's going on right now is the proof he doesn't know what he's doing.

He's trying to use the Coiled Sword Fragment between invasions, but... he could just apply the effect to himself, phantoms or no.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

turtlecrunch posted:

Silver kite shield near the room with the Greirat key

Cyberventurer posted:

You can either get lucky and a knight enemy will drop his, or you can rescue Greirat and purchase a Kite Shield off of him. It needs 12 strength.

Vermain posted:

The Silver Knight Kite Shield, in the chest above the room with the Cell Key. It requires 12 Strength to use.

Thanks guys!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Relin posted:

if you are powerless in your everyday life, it gives you a feeling of power
some people are genuinely bad at games and get pleasure from becoming 'good' through hacking
making people suffer can feel good

Power you didn't really earn or an accomplishment gained through that sort of power is pretty empty. But that's obviously just my personal feeling on the matter. I'll never understand those sorts of people, they're just empty husks as far as I'm concerned. Real life hollows.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

What's going on right now is the proof he doesn't know what he's doing.

He's trying to use the Coiled Sword Fragment between invasions, but... he could just apply the effect to himself, phantoms or no.

did you break his game?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

it's ... so beautiful.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Stuff like that Thor guy are cool because even if you get instantly chumped like that dude you just laugh and go back to playing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Obligatum VII posted:

Power you didn't really earn or an accomplishment gained through that sort of power is pretty empty. But that's obviously just my personal feeling on the matter. I'll never understand those sorts of people, they're just empty husks as far as I'm concerned. Real life hollows.

Why do middle aged men with failing marriages buy tons of guns? Having the power to dunk on other people makes you feel special, and it is much easier to buy/hack your way into power than it is to earn it for real.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, it really is DS1 again. Thanks From.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

BombiTheZombie posted:

48 ears and counting.

I think several people in this thread just died inside.

Personally, I managed to hit 30 ears just by wearing blue sentinel for the majority of my NG playthrough. They weren't super common (except one time where I got 5 in a row during my NG+ Farron Swamp run that I can't explain), but they happened often enough that I just built up my ear supply over time.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Weirdest stealth nerf from the most recent patch, Vordt can't get staggered out of breath attack anymore. Things I learn from speedrunners.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You ever come across a field of bloodstains and it turns out the only thing in the area is like a bone dog or something? Like what the gently caress happened there

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

BombiTheZombie posted:

48 ears and counting.

fyi be careful... i was doing that too and now there's hackers with dragon bodies doing the same thing as that youtube streamer. i got hit once and it said "humanity stolen" and i jumped off a cliff... i'm right around that sl level too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Poise is turned off, so some people go super heavy armor and get shreked by poise locking foes.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

argondamn posted:

Weirdest stealth nerf from the most recent patch, Vordt can't get staggered out of breath attack anymore. Things I learn from speedrunners.

So he wasn't supposed to instantly stop breathing when you hit him once? I actually thought that was a neat surprise since typically a boss will finish their entire big animation while you get free hits in if you dodge it early.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Stuff like that Thor guy are cool because even if you get instantly chumped like that dude you just laugh and go back to playing.

It's a fine line though, it's funny when it's just a couple of people doing it but when the tools get user-friendly enough or someone posts a guide explaining how to do it "for the lulz" and everyone starts doing it it's not fun anymore. Imagine if 4/5 invasions were that guy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RentACop posted:

You ever come across a field of bloodstains and it turns out the only thing in the area is like a bone dog or something? Like what the gently caress happened there

those are the hardest enemy in teh loving game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iztSqpIb3hA

Jesus christ lol

He's been doing it for 5 hours as of now

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Obligatum VII posted:

it's hard to equate what someone feels on the inside. people with wealth and authority can feel extremely empty while the petty game hacker may feel very fufilled

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So is he loving with their stats to get them soft banned, and that's why they're returning home?

What the gently caress, why?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a cheat engine table I can use to prevent this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

So is he loving with their stats to get them soft banned, and that's why they're returning home?

What the gently caress, why?

He hollows them and gives them (perma?) dragon torso and like 200k souls. then his offhand forces them back to firelink