Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Your Computer posted:

It's a fine line though, it's funny when it's just a couple of people doing it but when the tools get user-friendly enough or someone posts a guide explaining how to do it "for the lulz" and everyone starts doing it it's not fun anymore. Imagine if 4/5 invasions were that guy.

That tends to be the moment anything will become ruined; the moment the bar is lowered past the critical point where the great churning mass of complete idiots can make use of it or become aware of it. I bet you could write a thesis on figuring out the exact threshold at which that happens.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

So is he loving with their stats to get them soft banned, and that's why they're returning home?

What the gently caress, why?

The game, I presume, keeps a running counter of enemies slain and items acquired/sold/used (in the case of Soul of ________ items), which is then used to determine the "correct" number of souls that your character should have at any given point in time. The weapon he's using applies several hundred thousand souls to them, which causes the anticheat detection in the game to flag that character for a potential softban, as it didn't detect an incremented number of enemies slain/items sold/whatever to match the new soul value.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

The game, I presume, keeps a running counter of enemies slain and items acquired/sold/used (in the case of Soul of ________ items), which is then used to determine the "correct" number of souls that your character should have at any given point in time. The weapon he's using applies several hundred thousand souls to them, which causes the anticheat detection in the game to flag that character for a potential softban, as it didn't detect an incremented number of enemies slain/items sold/whatever to match the new soul value.

welp looks like i got transformed into a dragon, no 1MM+ souls were added or anything, so i hope i'm ok.... :smith:

why did they have to bring this poo poo to undead settlement. next? it'll be going to high wall lothric to just wail on people who just bought the game...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Your Computer posted:

Even worse when you want to pair it with something heavy like a Bonewheel Shield or Smough parts. I just accepted my fate and pumped Vit and dedicated my ring slots to it.

That looks really good.

Also, how the piss do I beat that stupid ice thing at the bottom of the lift where you meat Siegwald? That thing is like a 10x deadlier Vordt.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

argondamn posted:

Carthous Rouge OP.

All that stands between me and Chaos Blade for this low-level Sword Master cosplay is the Champ.

Today I discovered if you rouge up an uchigatana it'll bleed out those hand hippos instantly so they die in four hits.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually really really upset that this is happening irl.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a cheat engine table I can use to prevent this?

No, and if you use one you'll risk a softban just for that.

I do have protection, mind, but I probably risk a softban for using it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

That looks really good.

Also, how the piss do I beat that stupid ice thing at the bottom of the lift where you meat Siegwald? That thing is like a 10x deadlier Vordt.

open the door, use the bonfire right outside of it, then you can throw yourself at it until it dies

or you can open the door, run out, and since it can't follow you, just run in and hit it and run out over and over

this is all assuming you're not comfortable actually fighting it btw

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lite_sleepr posted:

That looks really good.

You're right in that the Outrider Knight is way harder than Vordt, but you can cheese it very easily by just running to the door. While you're opening it you're invincible, and once you're on the other side you can cheese him to your heart's content since he can't pass through it. :getin:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a cheat engine table I can use to prevent this?

Ironically, any sort of anti-cheat would require code injection, which will get you banned guaranteed.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Last King posted:

fyi be careful... i was doing that too and now there's hackers with dragon bodies doing the same thing as that youtube streamer. i got hit once and it said "humanity stolen" and i jumped off a cliff... i'm right around that sl level too.

Were your stats reduced? Soulsucker is a spell dating back to Demon's Souls.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

whatd you do to him this time?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CascadeBeta posted:

Ironically, any sort of anti-cheat would require code injection, which will get you banned guaranteed.

Not true, I can make myself immune to what this guy is doing via memory editing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Kild posted:

those are the hardest enemy in teh loving game.

I wish the game kept metrics on the kill rates of bosses and individual enemies and posted them online

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I'm actually really really upset that this is happening irl.

Blame From Software for their bizarre anticheat decisions, I guess. eur0pa, the guy who made the DS1 PVP Watchdog (which would prevent the kind of shenanigans you're seeing right now), can't lift a finger for DS3 because the game now detects and bans for code injections (which PVP Watchdog needs). Instead of going with something like his system (which should have worked pretty easily, given the similarities between DS1 and DS3 data structures), they chose to instead go with an easily exploitable system that's being used to flag completely innocent people for banning. From Software is loving bad at computer.

Tallgeese posted:

Not true, I can make myself immune to what this guy is doing via memory editing.

Interesting. Is that something that could be put into a functional script, or does it require manual editing?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

code:
H A C K E R W A R

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
A break from Alienation taken: I really like the covenant level range adjustments, even more action for my level 25. What is it like in higher tiers, a chance to ever get those ears another way than grinding knights forever? A good change that adds more play, just too bad about the lack of player poise screwing over so many build plans still.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vermain posted:

an easily exploitable system that's being used to flag completely innocent people for banning.

Is there any evidence of this yet?

edit: By which I mean, is there any conclusive proof that you can subject other people to bans? And not just the "invalid data" message, but a ban that has actually gone through and stuck.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vermain posted:

Interesting. Is that something that could be put into a functional script, or does it require manual editing?

It can be, it's in fact the same method PVP Watchdog used in DS1. It does however need code injection for certain features, just not that one.

We found out the best way to do it separately.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

lite_sleepr posted:

Lure it back to the elevator pit and stand behind it. He'll rush at you and fall down.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Your Computer posted:

You're right in that the Outrider Knight is way harder than Vordt, but you can cheese it very easily by just running to the door. While you're opening it you're invincible, and once you're on the other side you can cheese him to your heart's content since he can't pass through it. :getin:

Ohhhhh, I get invis frames while opening? I figured it would put its sword in my butt while I took the 29 seconds to open big doors.

List your gear I want it.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 30, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Gologle posted:

One thing my Silver Knight archer is not ineffective at: Killing the Nameless King. Whoever in this thread said that the NK is easy at range was completely correct. He can't do poo poo to hit you, all of his range attacks (I'm counting his attacks he does to get right up in your face) are easy to dodge and pitiful. It'll take nearly all your arrows, but wow, it makes this fight a joke.
There's a reason it's called a Dragonslayer Greatbow. Gough was pretty good at fighting dragons! Looks like NK picked the wrong side. :smaug:

Incidentally the insane theory that Nameless King has a name is remarkably compelling.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tallgeese posted:

Just how stupid is the anti-cheat anyways? Does it check for changes in the client side files or does it check at the server level? Do these modifications hit the client first or the server? If it IS dumb enough to look at the client level or the modifications affect the client level before it hits the server character data (and if the anti-cheat doesn't check for messing with packets like noting there's is a missing chunk of a sequence, which it may not if it's stupid enough), wouldn't it be possible to do some form of packet filtering to prevent getting messed up? Although if they use encryption on the packets in any way, that's probably not viable.

I'm almost tempted to start doing packet captures to investigate, but I'm far too lazy.

My apologies if anything I just said is stupid with more context, my knowledge on this stuff is pretty rudimentary.

Edit: Messing around with packets would probably nuke your connection if anything actually does get filtered, but that's maybe a better alternative.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 30, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What exactly is going on that people are suddenly worried about hackers? Is the game even more broken than DS1/DS2?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is going on that people are suddenly worried about hackers? Is the game even more broken than DS1/DS2?

It's exactly as broken as DS1.

The problem is, DS1 didn't have a questionable softban system.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its literally as broken as DS1, maybe even moreso. The same code that allowed hackers to Egghead/curse you in DS1 allows hackers to give you hundreds of thousands of souls and hollowing. This triggers the anti-cheat which flags your account for a soft ban/warning.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

New tables discovered features that allow you to gently caress over other players without them needing to pick up stuff from you, guy is now doing that and streaming it, drama ensues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

For almost the entire day today a script kiddie brony has been wasting his valuable time teleporting around Irithyll to hit people with a dagger that he hacked to give people souls/an illegitimate dragon torso, which supposedly will flag the game's anticheat against them (key word supposedly). Other people have figured out how he did it and are doing it elsewhere in the game, even though iirc he hasn't revealed the method.

edit: In case it isn't apparent enough that this guy has no life to speak of, he has over 4,000 hours in DOTA 2. So there's that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The final bossSo after wailing on him for a good while and finally getting that last hit- Ahahaha the fucker revives himself :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

For almost the entire day today a script kiddie brony has been wasting his valuable time teleporting around Irithyll to hit people with a dagger that he hacked to give people souls/an illegitimate dragon torso, which supposedly will flag the game's anticheat against them (key word supposedly). Other people have figured out how he did it and are doing it elsewhere in the game, even though iirc he hasn't revealed the method.

He doesn't need to reveal the method because it's in the public CE table.

Where do you think he got it? The guy is so dumb he lets himself be unable to portal out during an invasion.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Amazing thanks cant wait to get banned.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4h4z6q/psa_if_you_get_invaded_by_malcolm_reynolds/

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Nakar posted:

There's a reason it's called a Dragonslayer Greatbow. Gough was pretty good at fighting dragons! Looks like NK picked the wrong side. :smaug:

Incidentally the insane theory that Nameless King has a name is remarkably compelling.

It is illegal to mention an insane theory and then not post it, fyi.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Nameless King's name is Gwyndominium.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Nakar posted:

Gwyn's wife: Honey what should we name our firstborn son?

Gwyn: Nameless.

Wife: Wha-? That's not a name.

Gwyn: I'm the god of the sun, I can name my kid whatever. His name shall be Nameless.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Is there a way to get character appearance slider dumps for NPCs? Sword Master is complete with his Chaos Blade at 23 and I need to fix his appearance now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

WaltherFeng posted:

The final bossSo after wailing on him for a good while and finally getting that last hit- Ahahaha the fucker revives himself :v:

Lol if you think that only happens once

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm irrationally annoyed at the way the hacker keeps tapping up and down on his red eye orb or fireball slots, even though there's nothing else equipped or attuned there. Is there some reason why he keeps tapping them?

Edit: lmao Geese did you just kill him

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, that's just how he is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s571EFuxINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Stuff like that Thor guy are cool because even if you get instantly chumped like that dude you just laugh and go back to playing.
Right, and it's only a blue counter-invader, so he only shows up when someone is trying to be a dick, so it's all novelty.